TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.70 average.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #31
A2JetGuy

I'm having great success with this set up!

My DSL modem is Cat5 hard wired to my Apple TimeCapsule/WiFi.
To that Apple TimeCapsule/WiFi I have my Roamio and one Premiere Cat5 hard wired.

In another part of the house I have an AirPort Extreme/WiFi that wirelessly extends my network from my TimeCapsule. To that I have my TiVo Mini Cat5 hard wired.

In yet another part of the house I have another AirPort Extreme/WiFi, also wirelessly extending my network from my TimeCapsule. To that I have another TiVo Premiere Cat5 hard wired.

Everything streams, transfers, FF, Rew without hesitation.
Added bonus: seamless WiFi coverage in and around my home!
A2JetGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #32
2trill4925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Dobalina View Post
For what its worth I was able to connect my tivo mini to my network using an old Airport express in Bridge Mode. My main wireless router is a Airport Extreme. It was pretty simple. I plugged my ethernet cable from my mini to my express and it immediately connected to my network. My tivo roamio is connected to the network via hardwired ethernet.

I also have a tivo premiere hooked up to another airport extreme in bridge mode.

Only issues I have is when i am streaming a show from my tivo premiere to my mini. Usually occurs when I am fast forwarding to far into a show and it takes a moment for it to buffer.
Another vote for the Airport Express, because had it not been for that device the Mini would've been returned.
2trill4925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #33
bigshow

Wireless Speed and Apple Networking Products

Like the person who made a previous post, I use Apple's Airport Extreme as my router and WiFi provider, and Airport Express to extend my "wired" network. The Mini is connected to a wired port on the Extreme, and my Roamio (OTA) is connected to the wired port on the Express, so in reality there is a wireless connection between the two. I get good streaming for a while, but after a few minutes live TV gets "jumpy" (pauses more and more), and playing shows prerecorded on the Roamio eventually fails with the "network too slow" error from my Mini.

1. Is there anything I can do to "tune" my network to improve it? Apple's products, of course, are well-known for not letting you get down to the nitty gritty of configuration.

2. Why is it that I never had this problem when I had two Premieres? I could play prerecorded shows from either box to the other one over the exact same connection without a problem.

Thanks!
bigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:28 PM   #34
Marty1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshow View Post
Like the person who made a previous post, I use Apple's Airport Extreme as my router and WiFi provider, and Airport Express to extend my "wired" network. The Mini is connected to a wired port on the Extreme, and my Roamio (OTA) is connected to the wired port on the Express, so in reality there is a wireless connection between the two. I get good streaming for a while, but after a few minutes live TV gets "jumpy" (pauses more and more), and playing shows prerecorded on the Roamio eventually fails with the "network too slow" error from my Mini.

1. Is there anything I can do to "tune" my network to improve it? Apple's products, of course, are well-known for not letting you get down to the nitty gritty of configuration.

2. Why is it that I never had this problem when I had two Premieres? I could play prerecorded shows from either box to the other one over the exact same connection without a problem.

Thanks!
Not sure why you are having issues with the Roamio-Mini combo and not the Premiers. Below are a couple of things you can try which do not necessarily fall under the category of tuning your network but may solve your issue. The options are presented in order from the least to the most costly so I would therefore try them in the order that they are listed below. The 4th option, however, will be your best bet and result in the most reliable connection/streaming experience.

1) If you haven't done so already, try rebooting the Extreme, Express, Roamio, and Mini

2) If you can, try swapping the locations of the Roamio and Mini. The point of this is so that the Roamio will be connected to the Extreme and the Mini to the Express. With your current connection, you are uploading/sending the Roamio's stream through the Express and it's wireless-N connection, which is the bottleneck. It shouldn't make a difference, but it may be more efficient for the network to instead have the Roamio located at the Extreme's location. That way, the more powerful Extreme will be primarily sending Roamio data downstream to the less powerful Express (instead of the reverse like you currently have it setup). The bottleneck of the wireless-N connection will still exist but this may be a more efficient way to optimize the connection. In your previous setup, if you were primarily streaming video from the Premiere located at the Extreme to the Premiere located at the Express and not having issues, that may also help explain why you weren't having issues then but are having them now.

3) Does your version of the Extreme support wireless AC? If yes, try using a wireless bridge that also supports the faster wireless AC standard to connect the Roamio to your network (I believe the current version of the Express only supports the slower wireless-N/G/B/A standards). Here is one example ($35):
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wirele.../dp/B0090DX8O8

4) Assuming you have coax connections near/available at both the Roamio and the Mini (you were previously using two connected Premieres, so yes, right?), you can try using a pair of Moca adapters to create a wired connection between the two ($90): https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca-2
Under this scenario, you would use one Moca adapter to create the Moca network by connecting to both a coax wall outlet and your Extreme (Mini remains connected to the Extreme over ethernet). The other Moca adapter would be connected to a coax wall outlet near the Roamio and then ethernet from that to the Roamio.
The ideal scenario, however, would be to swap the locations of the Roamio and Mini so that you would only need one Moca adapter ($50): https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca
The single adapter would create the Moca network at the Extreme's location (connect wall coax to Moca adapter's coax input and ethernet from adapter to Extreme). Roamio connects via ethernet to the Extreme and also to the coax output on the Moca adapter. The Mini would then just connect directly to a wall coax outlet in the other location since the Mini has a builtin Moca adapter.

5) If your Extreme supports wireless AC, you can also try replacing the Express with the following ($90):
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-AC1200.../dp/B00KX8OL1S

Last edited by Marty1781 : 01-03-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Marty1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #35
Bigg

People FF and RW on TiVo? I rarely ever FF and RW, I can 6-second and 30-second skip for most uses, i.e. skipping commercials...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
People FF and RW on TiVo? I rarely ever FF and RW, I can 6-second and 30-second skip for most uses, i.e. skipping commercials...
For over ten years I used the skip. Then when the Roamio came out in 2013 with the 30 second scan, I didn't think I would like it. But after awhile I found I liked it better. Now I can't stand using the skip function. I only use the scan function. I like to see what it is scanning over and if I see something I want to watch I can stop it.
53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #37
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Now I can't stand using the skip function. I only use the scan function. I like to see what it is scanning over and if I see something I want to watch I can stop it.
Me too. Use the middle (2) speed. Speed #1 is too slow, speed #3 a little too fast.

Using speed #2 I wait until I see a few frames of the show after the commercial and the bounce-back almost always lands at just the right spot.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #38
Bigg

Quote:
For over ten years I used the skip. Then when the Roamio came out in 2013 with the 30 second scan, I didn't think I would like it. But after awhile I found I liked it better. Now I can't stand using the skip function. I only use the scan function. I like to see what it is scanning over and if I see something I want to watch I can stop it.
Do the Premieres do scan? I think I've seen it before on either my XL4 or one of my Mini's, but I programmed in 30 second skip as soon as I got them.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Do the Premieres do scan? I think I've seen it before on either my XL4 or one of my Mini's, but I programmed in 30 second skip as soon as I got them.
I might have mixed up the Roamio with the XL4/Elite.
53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #40
Bigg

Quote:
I might have mixed up the Roamio with the XL4/Elite.
It may be a Roamio/Mini thing, in which case the Mini would probably do it when connected to an XL4? Or all of them do it...