TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #6961
moyekj

Any of the 3 profiles I posted should work fine then with hb_television probably best quality of the 3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #6962
whitenack

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Any of the 3 profiles I posted should work fine then with hb_television probably best quality of the 3.
Thanks! I tried the "ff_ipad" option and it worked perfectly. I'll try the one you recommend. Thanks again!
Old 07-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #6963
whitenack

Is there a way to set up the ad cut jobs to complete without having to review them first? I'd like to set up some jobs to take place automatically.

EDIT: never mind. I see the option to turn it off

Last edited by whitenack : 07-04-2014 at 10:36 PM.
whitenack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #6964
species8472jj

KMTTG / Synology NAS

I just got a Synology DS214play.

I have many TV shows that auto download and run the decoder, VideoRedo etc.

Before getting my NAS, I would have them download to my PC, however I thought I would try to have them download to the NAS instead.

So, I just tried downloading a TV show to the NAS, and it was extremely slow, whereas when I tried the same thing and switched the path back to my PC, it was fine.

So, I then tried download the same show to my Synology NAS using pyTivo (which is running on the NAS), and that was lightning fast.

The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with the fact that KMTTG is running on a PC and pyTivo is running on the NAS.

If there is something that I'm missing or setting I'm missing, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
species8472jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 AM   #6965
moyekj

If not already doing so, specify the NAS drive destination using \\host\share format instead of a volume.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:55 AM   #6966
lpwcomp

I would think you probably have the right idea. kmttg is routing data through the PC, so it has to go over the network to the PC then back out the network to the NAS, whereas the pyTivo running on the NAS does a direct transfer.

If you're processing stuff, only the final product should go on the NAS.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #6967
whitenack

Help me work on a custom encoding profile for my chromecast.

If TL;DR, ignore the next paragraph...
I have played around with the different profiles included but I need to tweak things a bit. The "hb_television" profile you suggested was great, but it was a little bit too big of a file to stream smoothly. Plus, I think the mkv file type doesn't play as well with the chromecast as an mp4 type. I get great quality from the "ff_iphone" profile, but the file is too big to stream smoothly. The "ff_ipod_low_res" profile streams smoothly, but the video quality is not as good as I would like.

Therefore, I am attempting to edit the "ff_ipod_low_res" profile a bit to get a better video quality and need help with what to tweak. In comparing the high and low res profiles, the differences are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Res
-s 640xHEIGHT -r 29.97 -b 1500k -maxrate 2000k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Res
-s 320xHEIGHT -r 29.97 -b 700k -maxrate 1000k
Do I just adjust all 3 factors a bit or is there one factor that makes more of an impact that others? I'd like to find a combination that produces the highest video quality that still has a file size low enough to stream smoothly.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #6968
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

-b (bitrate) is the major factor. If you starve bitrate, it gets soft or pixelates

I would do -b 1000k -maxrate 1250k

For low output, look good stuff, I set 480, as 320 is too low and most material doesn't need 640
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #6969
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
Help me work on a custom encoding profile for my chromecast.

If TL;DR, ignore the next paragraph...
I have played around with the different profiles included but I need to tweak things a bit. The "hb_television" profile you suggested was great, but it was a little bit too big of a file to stream smoothly. Plus, I think the mkv file type doesn't play as well with the chromecast as an mp4 type. I get great quality from the "ff_iphone" profile, but the file is too big to stream smoothly. The "ff_ipod_low_res" profile streams smoothly, but the video quality is not as good as I would like.

Therefore, I am attempting to edit the "ff_ipod_low_res" profile a bit to get a better video quality and need help with what to tweak. In comparing the high and low res profiles, the differences are...

Do I just adjust all 3 factors a bit or is there one factor that makes more of an impact that others? I'd like to find a combination that produces the highest video quality that still has a file size low enough to stream smoothly.

Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads CPU_CORES -c:v libx264 -preset veryfast -crf 26 -s 640x360 -c:a:0 aac -strict -2 -ac 2 -b:a:0 128k OUTPUT

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #6970
whitenack

Thanks for the replies. I'll try these out. It would be great if there was such a thing as a variable bitrate stream like the streaming services use.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #6971
whitenack

OK folks, just to update you all on my trial and errors...

Philhu, your suggestion to go 480x1000x1250 produced a file of 242mb (in my 30 minute recording). This produced an acceptable video image but caused buffering a few times.

cherry ghost, your suggestion produced a file size of an incredible 87mb (for the same file), but the video was very pixelated.

If I could find a file size less than 200mb that had a passable video quality, I think we'll have it. I am going to experiment with some different combinations (480x600x800, 480x700x100, 320x700x1000, etc.) and see what happens.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #6972
cherry ghost

Quote:
OK folks, just to update you all on my trial and errors...

Philhu, your suggestion to go 480x1000x1250 produced a file of 242mb (in my 30 minute recording). This produced an acceptable video image but caused buffering a few times.

cherry ghost, your suggestion produced a file size of an incredible 87mb (for the same file), but the video was very pixelated.

If I could find a file size less than 200mb that had a passable video quality, I think we'll have it. I am going to experiment with some different combinations (480x600x800, 480x700x100, 320x700x1000, etc.) and see what happens.

Try changing -crf 26 to -crf 22. If the picture is better but the file is too big, go up to 23, 24, 25.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #6973
whitenack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Try changing -crf 26 to -crf 22. If the picture is better but the file is too big, go up to 23, 24, 25.
Thanks! I tried -crf 22 and that created a 127mb file. The picture quality was much better, along the line of SD quality. I am hoping for a little better quality picture, so I bumped it up down to 18. This looks pretty good, with a file size of 208mb. I think this will work (unless there is a different tweak that will make a better improvement then bumping to 18).
Old 07-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #6974
jcthorne

Did it occur to you that the problem with your chromecast is your wifi network not the size of your files? Chromecast should be able to stream full HD video without much difficulty and your files sizes are less than 1/10th of that.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #6975
whitenack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Did it occur to you that the problem with your chromecast is your wifi network not the size of your files? Chromecast should be able to stream full HD video without much difficulty and your files sizes are less than 1/10th of that.
Yes it had, but I'm not sure how I check that detail. I checked to see that I had full reception on my chromecast icon, and I have a brand new ac router in the next located not too far away. Any help would be appreciated!

ETA: Maybe it is as simple as adding a QOS rule to prioritize the chromecast IP?

Last edited by whitenack : 07-09-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #6976
cherry ghost

Quote:
Thanks! I tried -crf 22 and that created a 127mb file. The picture quality was much better, along the line of SD quality. I am hoping for a little better quality picture, so I bumped it up down to 18. This looks pretty good, with a file size of 208mb. I think this will work (unless there is a different tweak that will make a better improvement then bumping to 18).
There's a couple things you can tweak. Go through the link I provided earlier. I'd start by trying -preset faster and different values of -crf. The conversion time will increase as you go lower on the -preset scale.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #6977
whitenack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
OK, I've started reading some Chromecast networking threads on XDA and looks like there is some research I need to do on this topic. An advantage to knocking down the file size was to obviously help with storage space, but it needs to be a quality I'll be happy with.

ETA: I probably need someone to critique my entire process to troubleshoot any bottlenecks I am creating for myself. I'll start a new thread for that.

Last edited by whitenack : 07-09-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #6978
whitenack

OK, found my bottleneck. Or, at least one of them. I am using Localcast on my android phone to connect the file on my PC to the Chromecast. I was under the impression that Localcast just send Chromecast the link to the PC and then the PC conncected directly to the Chromecast. Turns out, that's not how it works. Localcast uses the phone as a bridge between the two. In other words, the video stream has to go from the PC up to the phone via wifi, then the phone sends it back to the wifi which then sends it out to the chromecast. Therefore, this process is creating 3 times the network traffic as streaming directly from the PC to the Chromecast. I need to find another option.

Thanks to all for the help!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #6979
whitenack

To update anyone that cares, I installed Plex Media Server on my PC and BubbleUPnP on my phone and this allows me to cast the file from the PC straight to the Chromecast, using much, much less bandwidth. I am now streaming full HD files with no problems. Now I just have to find the happy medium between video quality and file size. Thanks to all that helped!!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #6980
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Plex Media should do the trick for you, I have been using since February.

But beware, although it's great on mp4s. it really does not like other file formats, that's why I still use my other tools (pytivo, etc.).

Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #6981
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by species8472jj View Post
I just got a Synology DS214play.

I have many TV shows that auto download and run the decoder, VideoRedo etc.

Before getting my NAS, I would have them download to my PC, however I thought I would try to have them download to the NAS instead.

So, I just tried downloading a TV show to the NAS, and it was extremely slow, whereas when I tried the same thing and switched the path back to my PC, it was fine.

So, I then tried download the same show to my Synology NAS using pyTivo (which is running on the NAS), and that was lightning fast.

The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with the fact that KMTTG is running on a PC and pyTivo is running on the NAS.

If there is something that I'm missing or setting I'm missing, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
I use a custom job with a batch file to move the encoded file after its done. This way you don't have disk/io for the encode job going over the network.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #6982
Joe Siegler

Tried decrypting a show that I recorded awhile ago so I could burn it to a DVD for a a road trip. However, I couldn't get it working. kmttg would say this:

Quote:
tivodecode failed (exit code: 10 ) - check command: C:\Users\Joe\Documents\kmttg\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe --mak MAK --no-verify --out "J:\TiVo\Dinosaur Train Dinosaurs A to Z (Recorded May 14, 2012, KERADT).mpg" "J:\TiVo\Dinosaur Train\hrlong\Dinosaur Train Dinosaurs A to Z (Recorded May 14, 2012, KERADT).TiVo"
TiVo Private Data : Unmatched Stream ID: No error
ts_handle_tivo_private_data failed: No error
processing frame: No error
Encryption by QUALCOMM
I did this with about 6 or 7 other episodes I recorded and they all went fine. Just not this one. It generates a 376 byte output file. Any tips to get kmttg to handle this one?

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #6983
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Tried decrypting a show that I recorded awhile ago so I could burn it to a DVD for a a road trip. However, I couldn't get it working. kmttg would say this:

I did this with about 6 or 7 other episodes I recorded and they all went fine. Just not this one. It generates a 376 byte output file. Any tips to get kmttg to handle this one?
It could be a TS Video file from the "ts_handle_tivo_private_data failed: No error."

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #6984
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
It could be a TS Video file from the "ts_handle_tivo_private_data failed: No error."
Ah, you mean the fast copy? It's possible, I suppose, I recorded that a couple of years ago, I honestly don't remember.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #6985
lpwcomp

Quote:
Ah, you mean the fast copy? It's possible, I suppose, I recorded that a couple of years ago, I honestly don't remember.
It's not how it's recorded on the TiVo, it's how it's downloaded to the PC that matters.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #6986
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
It's not how it's recorded on the TiVo, it's how it's downloaded to the PC that matters.
That's what I was referring to - the fast copy to the PC. Sorry if I was vague.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #6987
lpwcomp

Quote:
That's what I was referring to - the fast copy to the PC. Sorry if I was vague.
Ah, ok. kmttg and pyTivo both explicitly refer to TS or transport stream. Only TD uses "fast".

I believe that the latest version of kmttg lets you use DirectShowDump to decrypt ts files.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #6988
whitenack

Is there ways to setup different file naming configurations for different auto transfers? I have a problem getting a single configuration to work for all my recordings.

For example, Dateline doesn't seem to have any usable metadata. Sometimes it has an episode title, but mostly it is a blank field. This causes problems for Plex Media Server. The only workaround I have found is to include the air date in the file-naming configuration, because evidently that is how the Dateline information is sorted. Unfortunately, if I add the air date to all my recordings, some of my other shows get messed up.

Obviously I can go in after the fact and manually rename the file, but I would like something automated.

One workaround I have tried is to not include the air date on the kmttg side but then use a program like Dropit to automatically rename just those Dateline files with the date created. Dropit can do this without any trouble, but I still have problems with this because sometimes the recording occurs on one day and the actual transfer and encoding take place on a different date (Dateline runs late at night...large file...etc.)

If I could set up the Dateline recordings to use the air date in its file name but set up the other recordings to use a different configuration, that would be the best.

ETA: OK, looks like the metadata that kmttg downloads to the PC has data for "original air date". Is there some way I can automatically get that data off the .txt file and into the kmttg title? When I chose "original air date" from the configuration in kmttg it just uses the recording date.

Last edited by whitenack : 07-15-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #6989
Thos19

I have some shows (Breaking Bad) which I had archived to my PC using Tivo Desktop. I am trying to reload them back to my TiVo Series 4 to watch, but the uploads are failing or only adding partial shows. I'd like to try to upload using kmttg (which I use pretty much exclusively, now). But I'm a bit lost how to do so. Can this be done?

Thos.
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #6990
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19 View Post
I'd like to try to upload using kmttg (which I use pretty much exclusively, now). But I'm a bit lost how to do so. Can this be done?
No. KMTTG only does TiVo -> PC. If you want an alternative to TiVo Desktop for PC -> TiVo, try pyTivo. (It's what the author of KMTTG uses.)

However, I wouldn't bet on any alternative transfer method helping you out in your situation. Most likely, the files are corrupt (or at least, the TiVo thinks so).

One thing you could try with pyTivo, though, is to force the recordings to be reencoded while transferred. This should smooth out some errors, if the errors aren't bad enough to prevent playback on the PC (the TiVo is more picky). You can add a metadata file -- make it default.txt -- to the folder with the recordings, with these contents:

Code:
Override_vCodec: foo
Override_aCodec: bar
Offhand, I'm not completely sure if that will work with .TiVo files; you might have to manually decrypt them first.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 07-21-2014 at 09:27 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote