TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #91
JWhites

Is it true the more times someone forces a connection the further they get pushed to the back of the line?
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #92
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Got the update last night. Just turned on my TiVo to see the new menu and message telling me about the update. I do like the partially watched tab as that will help me clear up TiVo space as I can go to those shows I started but forgot to finish.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #93
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Is it true the more times someone forces a connection the further they get pushed to the back of the line?
Can't be, unless everyone already has it... I forced a connection about a dozen times last night, then at least a half dozen more this morning, but got the update in a regularly scheduled connection this afternoon.

Just rebooted and it is much more polished and definitely at least a little bit faster. Better late than never!
dcline414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #94
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
My 4x3 shows were stretched. I checked the menu and verified panel mode was still selected. Cycling through the options in a 4x3 show using the zoom button brought back the panel mode. It has worked OK since.
This is definitely a bug.

Set the channel to an SD 4:3 program,
Reset the HDUI (TDTUPP)
The Video is now stretched even though the display says Panel
Press Zoom 4Xs to reset to actual Panel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-08-2014 at 09:05 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #95
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Set the channel to and SD 4:3 program
Where do you find one of those? I only have OTA, but all the channels seem to be broadcasted in 16:9 even if the program is 4:3. Does this bug not affect non-cable users?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #96
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
Where do you find one of those? I only have OTA, but all the channels seem to be broadcasted in 16:9 even if the program is 4:3. Does this bug not affect non-cable users?
What about SD sub-channels like MeTV, Antenna TV, ThisTV, etc.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #97
dcline414

With regard to Netflix, the launch time seems about the same (30 seconds to get to the profile select screen), but the app performance is significantly better! Also, when a program is launched it is instantly at 1080p, without the several second delay that there used to be.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #98
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I'm having the same aspect ratio bug problem here, too....annoying.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #99
dcline414

Quote:
What about SD sub-channels like MeTV, Antenna TV, ThisTV, etc.
Most seem to be 5.1 HD, but I was able to find one that isn't and experienced the stretched picture on panel setting. I scrolled through the aspect options and when it got back to panel it was back to normal.

Edit: Found another 4:3 channel, but the panel aspect was correct, and it stays correct on both channels when flipping to HD and back.

So it appears this is a one-time fix—not so bad really.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #100
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Most seem to be 5.1 HD, but I was able to find one that isn't and experienced the stretched picture on panel setting. I scrolled through the aspect options and when it got back to panel it was back to normal.

Edit: Found another 4:3 channel, but the panel aspect was correct, and it stays correct on both channels when flipping to HD and back.

So it appears this is a one-time fix—not so bad really.
No, it will default back to Full, you can force the bug by pressing ThumbsDown-ThumbsUp-Play-Play while in TiVo Central

Old 07-08-2014, 11:42 PM   #101
jgametest

Apps to come??

Am I to assume after the rollout completes additional apps are to be released or is this a strong rumor floating?
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #102
jrtroo
User

Assume what you want, there has been no promise of this.

Rumor was around a new Amazon app, not much else.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #103
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
No, it will default back to Full, you can force the bug by pressing ThumbsDown-ThumbsUp-Play-Play while in TiVo Central
same here. my hdui was not entirely stable last night (), reset itself, back to stretched on 4:3. once you select your choice, it will stay until the next reset.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #104
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I just e-mailed Margret about this bug and also posted on her Twitter feed...

XL4
Old 07-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #105
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Well, that resets the HDUI. I assume a reboot would have the same effect. But does it revert for anything less?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #106
JWhites

Just got off the phone with TiVo Tech support and found out that this update also fixed the heartbleed bug that was going around a few months ago (just for the sake of fixing it he said) as well as adding something called "embedded Switched Digital Video" support which I'm guessing that those external adapters won't be needed soon. I'd love to find out more about it but I was told it was more of an engineering question and we all know how difficult it is to get in touch with them.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #107
lessd

Quote:
With regard to Netflix, the launch time seems about the same (30 seconds to get to the profile select screen), but the app performance is significantly better! Also, when a program is launched it is instantly at 1080p, without the several second delay that there used to be.
When starting a movie on Netflix hit the TiVo info button and you will get a lot of Netflix information on the left upper part of your screen inc. if you are getting Netflix super HD. (This was also true before the update)

Old 07-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #108
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Tivo 20.4.2 Summer Release

Quote:

Not true...certainly depends on your internet speed. I'm still seeing initial quality at 480i before it gets up to 1080p or super HD. And I'm on a medium tier high speed connection (50 DL and 5 UL).

XL4
Old 07-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #109
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
That's all I would say it is now -- tolerable. Those in this thread who say it's now "snappy" are hallucinating....certainly it's better. Snappy it is not....
i waited about a day to comment on any speed improvments to let the update settle. it's a big improvement for my pxl, but i guess "snappy" is a relative term that's perceived differently by each user. maybe the number of tuners or individual networking is affecting the performance for different users?

overall, i'd say greatly improved performance for me, much better than "tolerable", and a lot better than expected.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 07-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #110
JWhites

Update hit my boxes and I literally wept at the beauty. Words cannot express how pleased I am.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #111
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i waited about a day to comment on any speed improvments to let the update settle. it's a big improvement for my pxl, but i guess "snappy" is a relative term that's perceived differently by each user. maybe the number of tuners or individual networking is affecting the performance for different users?

overall, i'd say greatly improved performance for me, much better than "tolerable", and a lot better than expected.
I've mentioned this before, on the 20.4.2 software my 5 year old 320GB Premiere has always seemed "snappier" then my 1 year old 500GB Premiere 4 and my 1 year old 500GB Premiere. All on the same network, same cablecards. Could just be the hard drive or software cache?

Last edited by JWhites : 07-09-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #112
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Update hit my boxes and I literally wept at the beauty. Words cannot express how pleased I am.
Oh, come on! Now you're just trying to make those of us who didn't sign up for the priority list feel bad.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #113
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Not true...certainly depends on your internet speed. I'm still seeing initial quality at 480i before it gets up to 1080p or super HD. And I'm on a medium tier high speed connection (50 DL and 5 UL).
This is interesting—we only have 30 Mbps down.

Prior to the update our premier behaved exactly as you describe, and the tivo or receiver would drop a few frames with each quality change. This made the first 30 seconds or so of every title pretty painful to watch. Since the update it appears to be in HD from the first second (confirmed via receiver that video is 1080p by 5 seconds in) and no more frames dropping.

Also, when scrolling through the menus before the update, there would be over a one second delay with each button press, and images would be slow to load once the screen finally responded to a previous button press. Now everything is instantaneous—so I can actually browse on the tivo rather than browsing on another device and cueing titles for easier playback on tivo.

Odd that the performance improvement we've seen wouldn't be similar for everyone else too.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #114
weaver

Quote:
My 4x3 shows were stretched. I checked the menu and verified panel mode was still selected. Cycling through the options in a 4x3 show using the zoom button brought back the panel mode. It has worked OK since.
Update: 4x3 was stretched again today.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #115
dcline414

Quote:
Update: 4x3 was stretched again today.
Same here.

Would be an issue, except since I first got HD in 2004 I have refused to watch anything in SD on principle.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #116
leeherman

Checked my Premier XL4 around an hour ago and saw "pending restart". I manually restarted and was up and running within a half hour.

The HD menus are much quicker, and so far I like the new look and feel.

Well done, Tivo!

LH
leeherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #117
Thunderclap

I signed up for the priority update yesterday and got it this afternoon. I like the look of the Roamio UI but I'm in the camp that doesn't think the speed is that much of an improvement. I'd say slight improvement if anything.

That said I do like some of the new features such as the grouping in My Shows. That's nice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #118
gigaguy

I'm trying to be patient... but I forced a reconnect yesterday and it d'loaded a file for about 20 min, then I restarted it but nothing new.
I know someone said the deadline had passed to sign up but I went and put in my # and got nothing to say it was too late to sign up. . Just waiting...
Menu slowness is the only downside on both my lifetime Premieres.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #119
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Would be an issue, except since I first got HD in 2004 I have refused to watch anything in SD on principle.
same for me since 2005, except for one show on one channel not offered in hd. the show only airs a few weeks each year, so no it's no big deal.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #120
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Oh, come on! Now you're just trying to make those of us who didn't sign up for the priority list feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
I'm trying to be patient... but I forced a reconnect yesterday and it d'loaded a file for about 20 min, then I restarted it but nothing new.
I know someone said the deadline had passed to sign up but I went and put in my # and got nothing to say it was too late to sign up. . Just waiting...
Menu slowness is the only downside on both my lifetime Premieres.
I'm really not. Man I didn't even think it would come across like that. It's coming for you guys next week starting the 14th of July. There's still time to sign up for the priority list. I signed up yesterday and got it today. TiVo tech support said that the priority list is still up and will be pushing out the priority update between now and the 13th so if you sign up now you should get it sooner.

Last edited by JWhites : 07-09-2014 at 09:52 PM.