TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #31
brentil

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymate View Post
It was a pretty quick update considering the Premiere's menu is completely reskined. I like the new font choice (compared to the old Premiere version). Seems easier to read.
I agree it went to the "take over an hour" screen but that was up less time than the previous couple of minutes screen. I've been up and running 24.2 for about 10 minutes now.

Once you've loaded the TiVo Central pages once so they cache this new interface is a lot faster and responsive than the older version.

Without having been to the My Shows tab yet everything there loads even faster showing the show details almost immediately, it didn't even feel like it was loading externally and was already cached.

Transitions between pages of shows in the My Shows are faster, no hesitation as it goes to load the next page. Same for being in a folder of shows.

Loading the details page is snappy too, loads right up.

I LOVE the new My Shows categories. I turned off Kids and Sports and moved Devices to the top so I can quickly get to my other TiVos. The Suggestions one takes and organizes everything it's recorded in folders now if it's grabbed multiple items of the same show. It's so useful.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #32
jgametest

Red face That's a relief

My TiVo was going really slow in the background loading Youtube and Kaboom. Thought that's some unusual lag time, so check network settings Tivo was at 99% installing. Which lead me to believe uh oh here we go again. Hopefully this is up before 9pm, wife has many recording ready to go and not happy Tivo decided to do this now.
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #33
shamilian

Zippier menus!

Zippier menus!
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #34
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgametest View Post
My TiVo was going really slow in the background loading Youtube and Kaboom. Thought that's some unusual lag time, so check network settings Tivo was at 99% installing. Which lead me to believe uh oh here we go again. Hopefully this is up before 9pm, wife has many recording ready to go and not happy Tivo decided to do this now.
It stays on 99% for a while.
It will pend restart.
If you force a restart it take about 1/2 hour for the upgrade.

Otherwise will reboot and upgrade overnight.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #35
dcline414

Quote:
Forced a connection and now I'm Pending Restart. Installing an update now. Is 20.4.2 first wave already out? Guess I'll find out in about an hour.
How do you force the update?

I selected connect now in the network menu and it went through all the steps from preparing to loading successfully, but then nothing about an update or restart after completing. I am restarting now just to see if that does anything.

I just signed up for priority update today, so hopefully I didn't miss out...
dcline414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #36
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
How do you force the update?

I selected connect now in the network menu and it went through all the steps from preparing to loading successfully, but then nothing about an update or restart after completing. I am restarting now just to see if that does anything.

I just signed up for priority update today, so hopefully I didn't miss out...
you probably missed the first round, try again tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #37
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

initial observations - premiere's hdui now looks identical to roamio's - faster transitions, deeper and darker color, added hdui pages with the video window, and selections now fill with yellow instead of being outlined. no issues with vod, mlb, or youtube.

i'm also noticing what appears to be lower resolution images on a few pages, and the font is not as prevalent (that means more info fits on a line, and that's good!), but no disappointment.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #38
jgametest

later experiement.

IF I can I find an older version of KMTTG will see if that send webpage URL feature works any differently this came with a new version of Flash Player from what I have been told. It does load all the functions much faster, but have yet to try the apps to check on load times such as Netflix, HuluPlus and Youtube. Will check on this later.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #39
dcline414

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
you probably missed the first round, try again tomorrow.
Any other option to force the update? If it's available there has to be a way to get it...

I know patience is a virtue, but I'm not very good at it!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #40
changk

My upgrade commentary, for anyone who cares. Premiere XL 4. I added my TSN to the priority list sometime last week.

It took 25 minutes from the time I forced a connection through KMTTG, to when the TiVo's status changed to Pending Restart.
Rebooting the TiVo, it took only 19 minutes for it to get the update installed and back to the TiVo Central.

Before:
Version 20.4.1-01-2-758
Flash Player Version: quattro-2-8/2014.01.21-1553
HD Menu Software Version: b-iris-quattro-2-8/2014.02.26-1126

After:
Version 20.4.2-01-2-758
Flash Player Version: mainline3/2014.02.22-1705
HD Menu Software Version: N/A

I'll do some speed tests later this evening. Later this week I'll try watching a series YouTube videos through TiVo to see if this release fixed the freezing issue with it.
changk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #41
jgametest

So my tivo is refusing web request.

After this new update change. I found this response very interesting when using an older version of KMTTG just for curious reasons. I was bounced back this: RPC error response: Not allowed.

This occurred when I tried to send www.bing.com using the WEB box which was dropped in feature updates of the app. Guess Tivo and Opera made a decision to kick us out.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #42
ciscokid

Cripes! They better fix the Roamio HDMI handshake problem with Sony and Samsung tv's!!!!!!!!!
ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #43
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
Cripes! They better fix the Roamio HDMI handshake problem with Sony and Samsung tv's!!!!!!!!!
They seem to have done so for me. So, your chances are looking good.

I rarely, if ever at all, have said this: My initial assessment of this update is

P.S. You posted in the Premiere thread, in case you didn't notice. Last I saw anything from you, you were a Roamio basic owner.

Roamio thread is here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=518728
Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #44
Robcameron

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
They seem to have done so for me. So, your chances are looking good.

I rarely, if ever at all, have said this: My initial assessment of this update is
Have to agree with you, I was looking at upgrading to a Roamio a few days ago for my XL4 and now think I'll keep my XL4 with the new GUI.
Anyone been able to compare speeds between Roamio t& Premier XL4 now that they have the same GUI?

A big improvement and finally caught up with a box I used in the uk - Sky+ which had the same view approach as categories, was the main thing I missed having switched to Tivo when moved to the US.

Hopefully, we'll see Amazon prime streaming next and updated apps for Netflix and Amazon that look and feel like the rest of the GUI.
Robcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #45
brentil

Quote:
Any other option to force the update? If it's available there has to be a way to get it...

I know patience is a virtue, but I'm not very good at it!
If you didn't enter you data in time it's not in the allowed list on TiVo's side so no matter how many updates you do it wont get it. If the window to add new TSNs isn't closed the system might update tomorrow and let you in, or it might take a week, or if it's closed you're waiting till everyone else.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #46
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
If you didn't enter you data in time it's not in the allowed list on TiVo's side so no matter how many updates you do it wont get it. If the window to add new TSNs isn't closed the system might update tomorrow and let you in, or it might take a week, or if it's closed you're waiting till everyone else.
TTBOMK/AFAIK, once the first roll starts, the priority list is done, and even if you can put your TSN in, it won't get it to anybody any faster, nor will hammering TiVo with manual service connections force it to happen any faster than a few hours between when your unit's TSN comes up, and the next scheduled connection (schedule is 2x/day).
Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #47
dcline414

Quote:
TTBOMK/AFAIK, once the first roll starts, the priority list is done, and even if you can put your TSN in, it won't get it to anybody any faster
Too bad it appears to be impossible to know what the cutoff time was. I entered my TSN at around 3pm EDT today, before the first reports of the update rolling out, but it appears we were not included.

I am trying kickstart 51 and 56 to see if that does anything. It seems like the update downloads when I force a connection (spends about 5 minutes downloading and 10-15 minutes loading) but then doesn't install or prompt for a reboot.

Quote:
nor will hammering TiVo with manual service connections force it to happen any faster
Well hammering sounds productive—I'd like to think that repeatedly forcing connections will eventually wear the server down and it will give up its new software.

Last edited by dcline414 : 07-07-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #48
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Too bad it appears to be impossible to know what the cutoff time was. I entered my TSN at around 3pm EDT today, before the first reports of the update rolling out, but it appears we were not included.

I am trying kickstart 51 and 56 to see if that does anything. It seems like the update downloads when I force a connection (spends about 5 minutes downloading and 10-15 minutes loading) but then doesn't install or prompt for a reboot.

Well hammering sounds productive—I'd like to think that repeatedly forcing connections will eventually wear the server down and it will give up its new software.
Kickstart 51 and 56 are retired. They may still act like they do something on older TiVos, but don't. You do run a risk of borking-up your TiVo trying to brute-force update (which doesn't work). When the update has actually downloaded, the final stage status of the connection screen will say "pending restart", which can then be done manually, or will happen at 2 AM if nothing is recording between 2-4AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #49
dcline414

Quote:
When the update has actually downloaded, the final stage status of the connection screen will say "pending restart", which can then be done manually, or will happen at 2 AM if nothing is recording between 2-4AM.
Hmm... so what does it do if there is a program scheduled to record every day at 3am?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #50
dcline414

Quote:
Kickstart 51 and 56 are retired. They may still act like they do something on older TiVos, but don't.
Also, thanks for this bit of info—hadn't seen that anywhere before.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #51
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Hmm... so what does it do if there is a program scheduled to record every day at 3am?
It just waits until it is done recording, and there is a 2 hour window available when nothing is recording, or going to, then does it at that time, rather than 2AM on the dot.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #52
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackamus View Post
Really? You've got to find better things to do than argue over a word. Ugggg
There are a bunch of people on here that will argue to no end on definitions of words and all kinds of other silly stuff. I just put them on ignore so I don't have to listen to their BS anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I will have to hook a unsubbed Premier up and test it. Odd that they would change that back to how it was before.
I connected a HD TiVo without a sub and it updated, but the manual recording doesn't work. Not really surprised, but I thought it might work because on my evaluation lifetime Premiere now has manual recording even without a current TV guide info.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 AM   #53
dcline414

Quote:
It just waits until it is done recording, and there is a 2 hour window available when nothing is recording, or going to, then does it at that time, rather than 2AM on the dot.
Interesting—I think there may never be a 2 hour inactive window on our Tivo.

I have the Today show set to record every day, so that has the DVR recording from 7am to around 11am, but because they reair it overnight it records at 3am too. I also have a daily 1am recording (late night) and have my local news recording daily at 5am. Then my wife has all her afternoon talk shows and prime time stuff, so I wonder if an update would ever auto-install for us.

The last time we got an update it installed during a reboot due to a crash.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #54
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Interesting—I think there may never be a 2 hour inactive window on our Tivo.

I have the Today show set to record every day, so that has the DVR recording from 7am to around 11am, but because they reair it overnight it records at 3am too. I also have a daily 1am recording (late night) and have my local news recording daily at 5am. Then my wife has all her afternoon talk shows and prime time stuff, so I wonder if an update would ever auto-install for us.

The last time we got an update it installed during a reboot due to a crash.
One it is at pending restart, I'd find a recording you can manage to live with possibly not recording all of, and manually menu reboot after the program before that slot finishes.

Tivos that are that busy tend to crash after a while, and I'd expect that to happen again, if you don't just manually do it. The update should finish within an hour from the reboot, but I can't guarantee that. If it takes longer, you'll miss the beginning portion of the next scheduled recording, which will still start recording as soon as it has booted far enough to lock in the tuner.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #55
bd177

During the day today i got an email from Tivo detailing the coming changes. I had kmttg open so i initiated a 'Network Connect' and then forgot about it. I then checked about 30 minutes ago and I was 'pending reset'.
bd177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:02 AM   #56
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Update 20.4.2 did not bring back the overlapping recordings feature using only one tuner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #57
muzzymate

The category database doesn't seem to be perfect. Doesn't put my daughter's "Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot" show in the Kids section. Overall, very happy with this update! Makes the Premiere really shine 4 years after release. Can't say that about many consumer electronics (though it needed a lot of optimization over those 4 years).

Now onto a unified My Shows list across all TiVos on the network! That was the first thing my wife asked about when I was showing her the new categories feature.
muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #58
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Now onto a unified My Shows list across all TiVos on the network! That was the first thing my wife asked about when I was showing her the new categories feature.
I would not expect tivo to ever do this- roamio handles for the most part.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #59
brentil

Quote:
The category database doesn't seem to be perfect. Doesn't put my daughter's "Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot" show in the Kids section. Overall, very happy with this update! Makes the Premiere really shine 4 years after release. Can't say that about many consumer electronics (though it needed a lot of optimization over those 4 years).

The list building comes from the TV guide data so if the channel provided doesn't tag it as a kids show it doesn't get organized like that as it's not TiVo's data.

I moved the "Devices" list to the top which I find makes accessing other TiVos very easy now compared to before.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #60
Jackamus

TC CLUB MEMBER
So far, so good.
Jackamus is offline   Reply With Quote