TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 214 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #1111
timroycny

Another few days and zero issues with 1.5.3.1101.
timroycny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:43 AM   #1112
Mike Oxbig

This is the message I have on my tivo premiere. Before I move my cable card to roamio, I just want to make sure the firmware is current. Does this look right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3644641145.jpg (33.9 KB, 68 views)
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:51 AM   #1113
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
This is the message I have on my tivo premiere. Before I move my cable card to roamio, I just want to make sure the firmware is current. Does this look right?
That exactly what I have on my Moto card from Comcast (boot, FW and FW* are all the same). You should be good to go!

Old 06-21-2014, 02:54 AM   #1114
Mike Oxbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
That exactly what I have on my Moto card from Comcast (boot, FW and FW* are all the same). You should be good to go!
Sounds good. Just to confirm.. Tuner 5 and 6 work for you?
Old 06-21-2014, 02:57 AM   #1115
Mike Oxbig

I only ask because the premiere doesn't show the whole string of numbers

I don't know if the premiere doesn't show it but roamio will???
Old 06-21-2014, 03:27 AM   #1116
AdamNJ

Quote:
Quote:
I only ask because the premiere doesn't show the whole string of numbers

I don't know if the premiere doesn't show it but roamio will???
You have a moto card. The 1.5.3.1101 firmware being talked about is for the Cisco/sa cards.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:33 AM   #1117
Mike Oxbig

Ok, I see what my confusion was. So the moto card I have has the correct version for the roamio? I didn't see any reference to it. I see that Lessd said it's working but is the FW I have the current (latest)
Old 06-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #1118
lessd

Quote:
Sounds good. Just to confirm.. Tuner 5 and 6 work for you?
Never had the problem, never knew about the problem until this Thread.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #1119
mbanks850

I figure I would add my voice to the mix. I have a Roamio Plus in Connecticut with a Cisco card running 1.5.2.3001 and I am getting the not authorized error on some channels.

Dropping it down to 4 tuners (88634) gets things working. Hopefully I can get the 1.5.3 firmware soon.
mbanks850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #1120
jrock

I got my Roamio last November and had a problem with it rebooting to start but got a new cable card then it was fine up until last months software update. Now tuner 5 and 6 will not authorize so I keep missing shows. I have tried everything and like others only able to fix it by switching to 4 tuners.

I have PKEY 1.5.2_F.p.3001 and my local comcast office doesn't seem to know anything about it and says they only have that type card. How do you get a newer card? I live in Connecticut and use the Clinton comcast office. Does my local comcast office have to support this card type or can I get it from a different place?

It really sucks because I spent a lot of money on this and got a life time sub. The only plus to it right now is that its 5 times faster than my old 4 tuner premiere.
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #1121
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
I got my Roamio last November and had a problem with it rebooting to start but got a new cable card then it was fine up until last months software update. Now tuner 5 and 6 will not authorize so I keep missing shows. I have tried everything and like others only able to fix it by switching to 4 tuners. I have PKEY 1.5.2_F.p.3001 and my local comcast office doesn't seem to know anything about it and says they only have that type card. How do you get a newer card? I live in Connecticut and use the Clinton comcast office. Does my local comcast office have to support this card type or can I get it from a different place? It really sucks because I spent a lot of money on this and got a life time sub. The only plus to it right now is that its 5 times faster than my old 4 tuner premiere.
You don't need a new card. You just need your current card's firmware updated to at least PKEY 1.5.3_F.p.0601 at the minimum or preferably PKEY 1.5.3_F.p.1101. Most have gotten success by filing a claim with the FCC that your local office isn't supporting 6 tuners on Cablecard when they're offering 6 tuner DVRs. Also I've heard people have had success contacting @comcastcares.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #1122
mbanks850

In this thread, http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity.../false#M104050

Comcast says the firmware update for the Cisco/SA cards is due for CT in July
mbanks850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:39 PM   #1123
jrock

Thanks for the info!
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 AM   #1124
jonnyfive

So if I plug my TV straight into the wall, I get a bunch of channels (I'm assuming this is from the digital tuner in my TV??). However, I can't get my tivo connected because it won't work at all without a cablecard (I don't pay for any cable service, just COX internet). If I get one of the ebay cablecards, will I then be able to tune my tivo to all these same channels as my TV is getting?!
jonnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #1125
speedy2
TivoAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyfive View Post
So if I plug my TV straight into the wall, I get a bunch of channels (I'm assuming this is from the digital tuner in my TV??). However, I can't get my tivo connected because it won't work at all without a cablecard (I don't pay for any cable service, just COX internet). If I get one of the ebay cablecards, will I then be able to tune my tivo to all these same channels as my TV is getting?!
As far as I know the cable card has to be activated by your service provider. Most cable systems won't let you own your own cable card anyway. You would have rent a card from your service provider to get the channel mapping info you need for the TiVo guide to work and know where the channels are. You can call COX and ask them if you can get your own card activated or not. Best to do that before you buy one off ebay.
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 AM   #1126
jonnyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2 View Post
As far as I know the cable card has to be activated by your service provider. Most cable systems won't let you own your own cable card anyway. You would have rent a card from your service provider to get the channel mapping info you need for the TiVo guide to work and know where the channels are. You can call COX and ask them if you can get your own card activated or not. Best to do that before you buy one off ebay.
I read in a thread elsewhere on this site that the ebay card is simply a way to trick the tivo unit into mapping the free channels which are available, since it does not allow you to do so without a card installed?
Old 07-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #1127
lessd

Quote:
I read in a thread elsewhere on this site that the ebay card is simply a way to trick the tivo unit into mapping the free channels which are available, since it does not allow you to do so without a card installed?
For Comcast systems the card would have to have been first activated by the same head end as you system has, then the card will work in your system for the expanded ch if that what was original activated. However a Comcast tech told me the cards have a 45 or 60 day time out if not activated and getting a signal from the head end. If the seller of the card had canceled service on the card that 45 to 60 day may brick your card. YMMV by system.

I have gotten TiVos to upgrade with a cable card installed from a different cable system than I have, I could not get any ch as the TiVo would just keep saying acquiring ch, after 12 hours I gave up. The card was the same Moto card used in my own system but that convinced me not to even try purchasing any card from E-Bay.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #1128
mike-d

Qam

Quote:
Your TV is most likely picking up the "Clear QAM" channels provided by your cable company. These are unencrypted digital channels that are using the Clear QAM protocol. TIVO does not support Clear QAM, but instead requires a cable card, activated by your cable company.
mike-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #1129
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-d View Post
Your TV is most likely picking up the "Clear QAM" channels provided by your cable company. These are unencrypted digital channels that are using the Clear QAM protocol. TIVO does not support Clear QAM, but instead requires a cable card, activated by your cable company.
I never tried with the Roamio but the Premiere sure does support clear QAM, as of now Comcast (in my area) has encrypted all ch so I can't test out if the Roamio does support clear QAM.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #1130
CharlesH

Except for some small cable companies that allow you to buy cablecards from them, isn't it a pretty good bet that any cablecard bought on eBay/CraigsList/whatever is stolen? The whole idea of cablecards is to put authentication in a card rather than requiring the user to rent a set-top box, so it make sense (to me, anyway), that cable companies want to be able to control the cards on their system.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #1131
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Except for some small cable companies that allow you to buy cablecards from them, isn't it a pretty good bet that any cablecard bought on eBay/CraigsList/whatever is stolen? The whole idea of cablecards is to put authentication in a card rather than requiring the user to rent a set-top box, so it make sense (to me, anyway), that cable companies want to be able to control the cards on their system.
May not be stolen, just not returned when the cable service was canceled, the person moved and did not think to take the cable card out of the TiVo, may have even been charged for the cable card, so now try to sell it.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #1132
jonnyfive

That's just plain wrong. You are allowed to own any piece of hardware (let's not get carried away with weapons and military items). You can in fact purchase a cablecard to avoid the monthly "lease" fee, and it is in fact law that the cable company must allow you to do so. However, you cannot just buy a card and expect to be able to "steal" tv. It doesn't work that way.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #1133
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
You can in fact purchase a cablecard to avoid the monthly "lease" fee, and it is in fact law that the cable company must allow you to do so.
Yes, your cable company cannot interfere with you buying a cablecard on Ebay - that much is true. They are under no obligation whatsoever to allow you to buy a cablecard that will work on their system, however. There is no law that states otherwise.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #1134
lessd

Quote:
That's just plain wrong. You are allowed to own any piece of hardware (let's not get carried away with weapons and military items). You can in fact purchase a cablecard to avoid the monthly "lease" fee, and it is in fact law that the cable company must allow you to do so. However, you cannot just buy a card and expect to be able to "steal" tv. It doesn't work that way.
You move and forget to take out and return the cable card in your TiVo, the cable co charges you for the cable card and you pay them. Now do you own the cable card ?? I not saying you can use that card to steal cable just that you own the card and now can sell it.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #1135
lpwcomp

Quote:
Cite please.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #1136
andyf

Comcast Houston is upgrading the firmware on 2 of my 3 CableCards. Right now. Wow! That was unexpected. Version PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1201
Old 07-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #1137
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Comcast Houston is upgrading the firmware on 2 of my 3 CableCards. Right now. Wow! That was unexpected. Version PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1201
Mine updated too in Houston to the same version cablecard firmware.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #1138
jonra

I've read this entire thread, or actually about 90% of it...

Ever since I added a second mini to my roamio this problem has increased to the point where I had to call comcast. I got absolutely nowhere.

I have a SA/Cisco Cable Card PKM800 with 1.5.2.F.F.p.3001 made 7/6/2011

I had to call because recording were not being made due to unauthorized channels I am supposed to get. After talking to not only tier 2 comcast tech support, the cable card dept at comcast, and many other tech people at comcast - they didn't know anything about any firm ware updating for cable cards. The cable card department only knows how to pair cable cards to tivo. I am in Fauquier County Virginia.

Finally Comcast transferred me to Tivo. Tivo had no contacts or ways at comcast for the newer firm ware pushed out to me. They could only recommend going to the my local comcast office and exchange for a newer cable card that hopefully will have the latest firm ware that can handle a 6 tuner Roamio.

I will report back if I get lucky or not...
Old 07-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #1139
JolDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonra View Post
I've read this entire thread, or actually about 90% of it...

Ever since I added a second mini to my roamio this problem has increased to the point where I had to call comcast. I got absolutely nowhere.

I have a SA/Cisco Cable Card PKM800 with 1.5.2.F.F.p.3001 made 7/6/2011

I had to call because recording were not being made due to unauthorized channels I am supposed to get. After talking to not only tier 2 comcast tech support, the cable card dept at comcast, and many other tech people at comcast - they didn't know anything about any firm ware updating for cable cards. The cable card department only knows how to pair cable cards to tivo. I am in Fauquier County Virginia.

Finally Comcast transferred me to Tivo. Tivo had no contacts or ways at comcast for the newer firm ware pushed out to me. They could only recommend going to the my local comcast office and exchange for a newer cable card that hopefully will have the latest firm ware that can handle a 6 tuner Roamio.

I will report back if I get lucky or not...
In a separate thread, people are having success getting their firmware upgraded by posting to a Comcast forum: Post in other thread with Comcast Forum Link
Old 07-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #1140
jonra

Thanks! JolDC for the link. I just saw ComcastTeds thread at comcast. Hopefully this will save me a trip and further frustration with missing recordings and having to deal with multiple unaware comcast customer service reps. at comcast. Poor Tivo has to deal with this. I think many customers will probably give up and sell or return their tivos because of this.