TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #1231
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
If it was a problem with all Tivos then why was the use of a code even an issue when it came to trickymost's Roamio?
And most of the codes sales people are now off E-Bay, Huston I think we have a problem.

Last edited by lessd : 07-05-2014 at 08:20 PM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #1232
squint

I still see listings by spherular and kjv2794. It seems a 3rd seller showed up recently, tivomadness.

One of them did tell me a couple weeks ago that the promotion was winding down and they would soon be leaving the code 'business.'
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #1233
Farplaner

BTW I got one of the $30 codes. Received the Roamio Plus last week and no problems so far (received it activated)
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #1234
spherular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
And most of the codes sales people are now off E-Bay, Huston I think we have a problem.

I don't think the code use was the issue here, it is more likely the CS agent tried to find a fault and that was the first issue that was thrown up.

If you are looking for a problem then you will find a problem.
spherular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #1235
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

trickymost specifically stated that the CSR said the code belongs to someone else, so I doubt the CSR was just trying find a fault. The CSR did not pull this out of the air. The "owner's" name for the code showed up and obviously did not match with the buyers name. If they are upgrading their system this is probably something that is being implemented.

The fact that some units were shipped out without activation probably is a coincidence.

It's about time TiVo started to crack down on illegal activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherular View Post
I don't think the code use was the issue here, it is more likely the CS agent tried to find a fault and that was the first issue that was thrown up.

If you are looking for a problem then you will find a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
...TiVo informed me the code I used belonged to someone who works at Frys, and as such I had violated the terms of the program and they could not give me the discounted lifetime price...

Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #1236
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
Just to clarify, there is nothing "illegal" about using these codes. No laws are being broken. At most, it is a simple breach of contract, which is in no way "illegal".
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #1237
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

I should have said "It's about time TiVo started to crack down on fraudulent activity."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Just to clarify, there is nothing "illegal" about using these codes. No laws are being broken. At most, it is a simple breach of contract, which is in no way "illegal".
Quote:
...It's about time TiVo started to crack down on illegal activity...

Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #1238
trickymost

Quote:
I should have said "It's about time TiVo started to crack down on fraudulent activity."
Yep. They clearly are intended for specific users - it's exactly like using a LDW for a corporation or entity for which you are not affiliated to rent a car.

Will you get away with a better rate and better insurance? Yeah, most of the time. But you never know when you're going to get banned for life from that rental company, or when you're going to bring your car in and be told you owe full retail on your car rental.

That's never happened to me, but clearly it's buyer beware with these codes, at a minimum you risk losing what you paid for the code, and at worst you can be denied the rate.
trickymost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #1239
lessd

Quote:
trickymost specifically stated that the CSR said the code belongs to someone else, so I doubt the CSR was just trying find a fault. The CSR did not pull this out of the air. The "owner's" name for the code showed up and obviously did not match with the buyers name. If they are upgrading their system this is probably something that is being implemented.

The fact that some units were shipped out without activation probably is a coincidence.

Cracking down on this code thing is one thing but with knowledge the order is for the wrong person and to ship out a half backed order and take his full payment is another story, that may be (and most likely is) an illegal activity. If TiVo does not want to honor the code for any reason than cancel the order and return the customers money, but TiVo can't charge the customer a fine (by sending out only part of the order and taking the full payment) for trying to make this purchase, only a court could do this.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #1240
HarperVision

What if the code owner/seller just purchased the TiVo package for the buyer, added in his markup (same as what he'd sell the code for alone) and had it shipped to the buyer already activated in the code owner's name? Wouldn't that be the same as me selling my used lifetime TiVo gear to someone and it being legit?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #1241
squint

I think that's what some of the code sellers tried to do initially.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #1242
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
What if the code owner/seller just purchased the TiVo package for the buyer, added in his markup (same as what he'd sell the code for alone) and had it shipped to the buyer already activated in the code owner's name? Wouldn't that be the same as me selling my used lifetime TiVo gear to someone and it being legit?
This code thing is a TiVo problem and TiVos problem alone, TiVo must either honor the code or cancel any order that TiVo thinks is not correct. The problem is then between the original code owner and TiVo, and would have nothing to do with us. If you purchase a code and your order is canceled (and your money paid to TiVo is returned) than your only problem is between you and the seller of the code.
Than that would be the chance you are taking, the gipping could go both ways as now we have somebody that had an order refused by TiVo (we must all take his word for this as there is no proof one way or the other), you could purchase the code and TiVo does ship your discounted order, than go back to E_Bay or PayPal and say TiVo would not ship your discounted order, how can the code seller tell? you would get your code cost back and nobody could tell what happened.

PS: the code thing worked for me without problems about two weeks ago, and I am not looking for my money back from the code seller.

Last edited by lessd : 07-06-2014 at 08:37 PM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #1243
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
....... PS: the code thing worked for me without problems about two weeks ago, and I am not looking for my money back from the code seller.
Why would you want your money back if the code worked?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #1244
dave13077

I think Tivo "looked the other way" for a while. It started out that a few people had an extra code or 2 and were willing to let someone else take advantage because they didn't need them. It allowed Tivo to add some subs that they wouldn't have had otherwise. But now it has, in my opinion, gotten way out of hand. You started to see multiple people selling the codes on Ebay and in one case you have an individual that not only has been selling them on Ebay (appears to have over 300 sales) but set up a complete website with the sole purpose to sell these codes. At this point I think that Tivo has no choice but to step in and do something. My guess is that they will stop honoring the fraudulently acquired codes but let any previous codes that were used stand.

Classic case of a few ruining it for many...........
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #1245
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Why would you want your money back if the code worked?
Only if I was an immoral person and wanted to screw the code seller.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #1246
spherular

Looks like the newly shipped Roamios are now starting to be activated....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...0#post10167100
spherular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #1247
aridon

So basically no issues and people got worked up over one persons "story" for nothing?
aridon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #1248
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
So basically no issues and people got worked up over one persons "story" for nothing?
I had typed up (then nuked) a really long rant about how everybody was whipping up a fury over one person's allegation of being told by TiVo they had a discount code acquired in a manner which didn't entitle them to use it, combined with "the guy with the codes", who set up a freaking website, taking full advantage of said fury, by posting short comments in response to recent activation posts, getting more forum exposure for what he is selling. I did some digging, and this code seller seems to be only here to sell codes.

The guy with the codes is probably the guy who forced TiVo to do something, or if not, will be the the one driving the final nail in the discount code coffin...

How does a person who themselves is not an authorized TiVo reseller, setup a website selling a "TiVo Buying Service"?

Since when is one person's "story" taken as so credible?

The whole thing is based on one allegation that one person made, which could not be verified, and nobody else claims they were told that. Very fishy...
Old 07-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #1249
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I had typed up (then nuked) a really long rant about how everybody was whipping up a fury over one person's allegation of being told by TiVo they had a discount code acquired in a manner which didn't entitle them to use it, combined with "the guy with the codes", who set up a freaking website, taking full advantage of said fury, by posting short comments in response to recent activation posts, getting more forum exposure for what he is selling. I did some digging, and this code seller seems to be only here to sell codes.

The guy with the codes is probably the guy who forced TiVo to do something, or if not, will be the the one driving the final nail in the discount code coffin...

How does a person who themselves is not an authorized TiVo reseller, setup a website selling a "TiVo Buying Service"?

Since when is one person's "story" taken as so credible?

The whole thing is based on one allegation that one person made, which could not be verified, and nobody else claims they were told that. Very fishy...

Well we were all waiting for the other shoe to fall as somebody has to be first, the other shoe did not fall (so far) so we are off the code races.
Anybody can set up a web sight and sell what they want if the product is legal, TiVo codes are legal to sell, however TiVo does not have to honor them.
TiVo got themselves into the same type of mess they had in the old days with the refer gifts as people on E-Bay were paying you from $25 to $35 if you used their E-Mail when you activated your TiVo, the program got so out of hand TiVo had to cancel the gift program altogether.
If your going to design a marketing program you can make it much more secure so this code selling thing does not happen so easily in the first place (if you don't want it to happen, to me that still an open question).

Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #1250
Diana Collins

It would be interesting to know exactly what TiVo knows, when they knew it and whether or not they care. I would assume that if all 300+ feedback posters on eBay purchased something with the code that at least some of them would not have purchased without the discount. Others may have purchased now versus 6 months from now. In both cases this was a benefit to TiVo.

But more fundamentally, if TiVo is trying to exit the retail business (as some have suggested in other threads) this is a good way to run down inventory without eroding the margin that retailers can make. On the other hand, if that's true, then I wouldn't expect TiVo to "crack down" on the use of these codes.

Bottom line, for anyone who has already received their activated TiVos, it would be very difficult for TiVo to undo any of those purchases. No messages were displayed about terms of use for these codes. You just entered the code and the prices were adjusted like any discount code. Without disclosing any terms or conditions at the point of sale, TiVo would have no standing to invalidate the sales once consummated.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #1251
SatManager

Just to add my two cents to the noise, I purchased a TiVo Roamio Pro using a code from Spherular website on 3 July, it was shipped that evening by UPS and is now showing going through the activation process today on the TiVo website. So no problems with my purchase of my first TiVo. Next week to try to activate it with Cox cable!
SatManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #1252
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
It would be interesting to know exactly what TiVo knows, when they knew it and whether or not they care. I would assume that if all 300+ feedback posters on eBay purchased something with the code that at least some of them would not have purchased without the discount. Others may have purchased now versus 6 months from now. In both cases this was a benefit to TiVo.

But more fundamentally, if TiVo is trying to exit the retail business (as some have suggested in other threads) this is a good way to run down inventory without eroding the margin that retailers can make. On the other hand, if that's true, then I wouldn't expect TiVo to "crack down" on the use of these codes.

Bottom line, for anyone who has already received their activated TiVos, it would be very difficult for TiVo to undo any of those purchases. No messages were displayed about terms of use for these codes. You just entered the code and the prices were adjusted like any discount code. Without disclosing any terms or conditions at the point of sale, TiVo would have no standing to invalidate the sales once consummated.
The threads that cover people getting $99 or $199 lifetime service on their old model TiVos are getting multiple reports of those who should be eligible being told "good bye", when selecting to cancel service, not getting the offer, not giving it if asked for, just reports of TiVo letting the subs go.

I could see that as either TiVo making up for the lower take due to these discount codes (whether or not they are being issued/sold/redeemed with TiVo's unspoken blessing), or it could be part of their retail exit strategy, and they want to clear Roamio inventory, and pick up the subs there, which will offset any losses by those calling to cancel after their commitments are up, or who have waited three years of paying monthly to get the offer no longer on the table...

I'm sure somebody will come along with logistics that say none of this makes sense. But, if TiVo's business strategy is shifting, the usual metrics and logistics may no longer apply.

Yes, I'm a "glass half-empty" person.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #1253
slay65

Tivo Flash Sale

Just checked Tivo.com and they are having a "Flash" sale on Romio.

$599 for Plus $799 for Pro. Each with LIFETIME service included.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/summer-savings
slay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #1254
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay65 View Post
Just checked Tivo.com and they are having a "Flash" sale on Romio.

$599 for Plus $799 for Pro. Each with LIFETIME service included.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/summer-savings
wow nice deal on the plus. as good as the codes.

Probably due to drop in price this year though right? It's been awhile since it came out.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #1255
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post

Probably due to drop in price this year though right? It's been awhile since it came out.
Not quite a year...last fall is when they rolled 'em out. With nothing new on the horizon, it's nice to see this...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #1256
trip1eX

Well I bought a Roamio Plus. I'm a Tivo owner again.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #1257
Diana Collins

Amazon currently lists:

Roamio Pro: $499.98
Roamio Plus: $349.00
Roamio Basic: $169.99
Mini: $88.00
Stream: $129.00 (only $0.99 off)
Premiere 4: $149.99
Premiere XL4: $199.99

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #1258
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post

TiVo's second fiscal quarter ends July 31. They are probably trying to juice up their quarterly retail sales numbers.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #1259
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
TiVo's second fiscal quarter ends July 31. They are probably trying to juice up their quarterly retail sales numbers.
Good observation. The juicing is working or at least I bit.

I guess I will keep my WMC system up for awhile to "smooth the transition" and add Minis at a later date.

Last edited by trip1eX : 07-15-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #1260
trip1eX

btw, it is kind of a hidden deal. I don't see it anywhere on the Tivo page. I can only locate (the summer promo) through the direct link.

Last edited by trip1eX : 07-15-2014 at 03:50 PM.