TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
wreckem

HELP! TWC Dallas and Tivo Roamio Plus

I am having all sorts of issues with TWC Dallas and their 3rd party contractors.

On initial install the Tivo hang at 50% on getting channels. 8 Cable Cards, 7 days, and 40+ hours later they are telling me TWC does not have a cable card compatible with the Roamio Plus.

I know this to be total garbage. What I want to know is how do I get TWC to do what they are supposed to as required by law? Everyone I talk to is completely incompetent.

Also how do I get a hold of a brand new cable card and brand new tuning adapter. All they keep giving me is used garbage.

Finally who the hell can I escalate this to in order to get this resolved?
wreckem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

That many cable cards later, I'd be suspecting that you might have a bum TiVo. Have you contacted TiVo support to try and RMA it?

Also: have you been working with local people, or with the National Cable Card Support desk at Time Warner? If you've just worked with the local people, try going up to the national desk. (1-866-532-2598)
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Definitely call the TWC CableCard hotline and talk to them. The people you get on that number actually know what they are doing and know what kind of issues can cause TiVo/CableCard/Tuning Adapter problems. They should be at least able to make sure that your CableCard is paired correctly and they can have you go into the settings and read some signal level values to try to figure out what the problem is. You can also call TiVo support and they can do a 3-way call with the TWC CableCard people, which can sometimes be helpful.

As far as getting a new CableCard and Tuning Adapter, that's very tough. I doubt most local TWC offices ever receive any new ones. You might be able to call the national TWC people and see if it is possible for them to mail you a new CableCard and tuning adapter, but it's going to be tough just getting someone on the national TWC line that even knows what a CableCard is, let alone knows if they are even able to mail you a new one rather than a used one.

If all else fails, you can file a formal complaint with the FCC. That is one thing that actually seems to get the cable companies to pay attention and put you in contact with someone competent that can actually help you.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

Hang in there and don't give up. Like you, I had to struggle at first with TWC to get everything working as it should. But eventually I was able to get everything up and working correctly and things have been smooth sailing since. The Roamio is so superior to any equipment TWC has to offer, that it is definitely worth a little time and effort to get it working.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 07-03-2014 at 06:14 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
wreckem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
That many cable cards later, I'd be suspecting that you might have a bum TiVo. Have you contacted TiVo support to try and RMA it?

Also: have you been working with local people, or with the National Cable Card Support desk at Time Warner? If you've just worked with the local people, try going up to the national desk. (1-866-532-2598)
The tivo will pick up local channels and at least the Discovery/Discovery HD channel.

I've worked with both. Everytime I call the national cablecard line they say its the cable card. The last time I spoke to the national cable card support they said the cablecard that I had at the time(the 6) wasn't registered on the network so the headend couldn't see it. He told me to go to a local office and have them test cards until they found one that worked. That suggestion cannot be done.

It could still be my account is setup wrong but I cannot get anyone to look at it. The installer had their depot look into and said that there were problems with the account but it was fixed. The issue comes down to TWC being unable to validate the tivo/cable card(there is a ? for Val on the conditional access screen). It was this morning(day 8) that I was told(by the installer, who said he was told by a TWC supervisor) that TWC does not have compatible Cablecards which I know is ********.

I've reached out to social media to try to get above people just giving me wrong information/misinformation. We will see how that goes.

Last edited by wreckem : 07-03-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckem View Post
The tivo will pick up local channels and at least the Discovery/Discovery HD channel.

I've worked with both. Everytime I call the national cablecard line they say its the cable card. The last time I spoke to the national cable card support they said the cablecard that I had at the time(the 6) wasn't registered on the network so the headend couldn't see it. He told me to go to a local office and have them test cards until they found one that worked. That suggestion cannot be done.

It could still be my account is setup wrong but I cannot get anyone to look at it. The installer had their depot look into and said that there were problems with the account but it was fixed. The issue comes down to TWC being unable to validate the tivo/cable card(there is a ? for Val on the conditional access screen). It was this morning(day 8) that I was told(by the installer, who said he was told by a TWC supervisor) that TWC does not have compatible Cablecards which I know is ********.

I've reached out to social media to try to get above people just giving me wrong information/misinformation. We will see how that goes.
Yeah, if the TiVo can only get the local channels it is likely a pairing problem with the CableCard, and it sounds like Time Warner is giving you the run-around. You should file a formal complaint with the FCC. That usually gets the ball rolling and problems like this ultimately resolved. Here is a recent thread of another person's frustrations and ultimately an FCC complaint is what got the cable company to finally comply with their legal mandate to support CableCard devices.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=517505

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 07-03-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:34 AM   #6
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Until the cablecard is fully paired & authorized/validated, leave the TA completely out of the picture.

Once the cablecard has been fully taken care of, then hook up the TA, but don't use the OUT port from the TA to connect the coax to the TiVo. Use a 1GHz rated splitter, sending one leg's coax to the TiVo directly, and the other leg's coax to the TA. If the TA is a Cisco, then place a PoE filter on the splitter leg that goes to the TA. Make the USB cable for the TiVo to TA the last connection you make. Make sure to be patient at each step of the processes. It can take up to 20 minutes for a cablecard to pull down all the data it needs. Rushing ahead, making changes, or rebooting, resets the process back to the beginning.

If you can get along without using MoCA, turn it off (at least until the cablecard is paired and the TA is fully functional). The PoE filter for the TA IN coax is not needed if MoCA is not in use (at all) or if the TA is not a Cisco.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Almost a year ago I pulled the cable card and boxed up the tuning adapters. I went through six tuning adapters in 19 months. Two were DOA, one of those was on the techs truck. TWC in Dallas sucks pond water, satellite blows them away. I'm currently OTA and Netflix, had AEREO which got the low power channels, I just upgraded the antenna on my balcony. TWC cable internet (turbo) isn't even stable in Dallas.
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
Heretic

Hey Wreckem, I just went through a first time TiVo + TA install with TWC in Texas, but south of you. What make/model cable card and tuning adapter did they give you?

I had some problems with the guy that set mine up for sure, he didn't know much. He didn't even bring a USB cable for the TA. Anyway, I had to trouble shoot with the CableCard people @ 866-532-2598. They had to debrick the TA basically, it never got a hit, but anyway. The effect was I could only tune some channels.

Do you have a Cisco? If so, what's the front light doing on it?

Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter (F.1901 firmware) + Cisco M-Card on TWC
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
wreckem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Hey Wreckem, I just went through a first time TiVo + TA install with TWC in Texas, but south of you. What make/model cable card and tuning adapter did they give you?

I had some problems with the guy that set mine up for sure, he didn't know much. He didn't even bring a USB cable for the TA. Anyway, I had to trouble shoot with the CableCard people @ 866-532-2598. They had to debrick the TA basically, it never got a hit, but anyway. The effect was I could only tune some channels.

Do you have a Cisco? If so, what's the front light doing on it?
Its a motorola cc and tuning adapter. I've talked to 866-532-2598 multiple times. Previously they haven't been so helpful on trouble shooting(the four times prior they have just said its the cable card, get a new one). Since escalating it seems I have been talking to more competent people and they are trying to trouble shoot. Unfortunately the last two CCs I recieved from the local office, one is broken and the other the CON says No which means it is not connecting to the head end.

The original issue remains the Val = ?. Prior to me personally going to the local office, the first 4 cable cards all would say Val = ? after the installer installed them and called their depot. Right now the tuning adapter is not connected.

I have another service call schedule on Sat. The Tech is supposed to talk with their depot and the National Cable Card Support to trouble shoot the issues. Either the contractor Depot cannot be bothered to trouble shoot and the National people will get it working, or it could be the Tivo. The National Cable Card line has said they have come across a couple Roamios that have been unable to read/pair cable cards properly. I have reached out to Tivo so maybe I can get the tech to talk to Tivo and the national cable card support and just ignore the depot.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
wreckem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
Almost a year ago I pulled the cable card and boxed up the tuning adapters. I went through six tuning adapters in 19 months. Two were DOA, one of those was on the techs truck. TWC in Dallas sucks pond water, satellite blows them away. I'm currently OTA and Netflix, had AEREO which got the low power channels, I just upgraded the antenna on my balcony. TWC cable internet (turbo) isn't even stable in Dallas.
I have had zero problems with their 50Mbps service. Well the original tech that came out didn't bother to try to setup my personal cable modem and just told me it wouldn't work. I needed internet that day so I let him install the TWC modem. The next day I installed my modem and took the TWC one back. The original installer didn't really know what he was doing so his supervisor ended up coming out and taking over. He left thinking the Tivo was setup properly but it stalled at 50% of finding channels or whatever. He came back the next day with another cable card, and the val said ? He then called his boss, they claimed there was a bad batch of cable cards, so the next day he came back with new cable cards(they were blue instead of red). He then left and said he was talking to his depot and that there were problems with the account and that they were working on fixing them. He later said the problems were fixed and it should work. But there was nada. So I started swapping out cable cards myself. Nada. Then a day or two later he texted me saying a TWC supervisor said TWC didn't have CCs that were compatible with the Roamio. This is when I escalated through social media.

Satellite is not an option. The only other option is Uverse, and I just left them when I moved because I hated their internet it was much slower and crapped out regularly.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
wreckem

Banging my head against a wall.

TWC and their 3rd party techs have no idea what they are doing. If I could just talk to one person at Cable Card Support, maybe I can get somewhere with my issue.

But each time I go around and around doing the same thing. There is obviously something wrong with something on their end. Either the headend or my account. But we just go around and around doing the same basic trouble shooting which doesnt work. Argggh.

They have until Thursday before I make a FCC complaint. I was again told by the 3rd party installer that the Tivo Roamio is not compatible with TWC cable cards. I know this to be incorrect, but well something is going to happen one way or another.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #12
tarheelblue32

Quote:

TWC and their 3rd party techs have no idea what they are doing. If I could just talk to one person at Cable Card Support, maybe I can get somewhere with my issue.

But each time I go around and around doing the same thing. There is obviously something wrong with something on their end. Either the headend or my account. But we just go around and around doing the same basic trouble shooting which doesnt work. Argggh.

They have until Thursday before I make a FCC complaint. I was again told by the 3rd party installer that the Tivo Roamio is not compatible with TWC cable cards. I know this to be incorrect, but well something is going to happen one way or another.
I strongly suggest you just go ahead and file the FCC complaint now. That is what will get you a call from someone at TWC that actually knows what he is doing. Spending any more of your time working with people who are clueless just isn't worth the frustration.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #13
DougJohnson

Quote:

Have you talked with TiVo? Just from your trials and tribulations, I am suspecting a problem with the box. Just out of curiosity, can you get channel 8? I'm told you should be able to see that regardless of account setup or pairing.

I came home from a trip this week and was not getting any channels on my Roamio Plus. I called TWC. After some testing, the local tech support kicked me to the National Cable Card desk. Some more testing and they diagnosed a bad cable card. I went to the Plano office, swapped the card, and called the national desk back. They took about 20 minutes to get things working again.

-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Yeah, I too still believe it could be a problem with the box. The fact that it picks up local channels doesn't discount a problem specific to the cable card slot or something within that subsystem. The TiVo also seems to be the one thing that hasn't been swapped out yet.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote