TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
tarheelblue32

Cable Boxes Continue to be a Giant Energy Hogs

So I ran across the article below which says that "a set-top cable box with a digital recorder can consume as much as 35 watts of power, costing about $8 a month." I was just wondering if anyone knows off hand how much electricity a TiVo Roamio Plus consumes/costs to run in comparison.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...ry.html#page=1
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
trip1eX

~20w for 6 tuner model. 9w for each mini.

I am probably using 120w right now between my htpc and 360 extender.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
buscuitboy

not only are they still maybe giant energy hogs, but they also continue to be giant pieces of junk in terms of usability. I hadn't used an Xfinity based box in YEARS. It was junk then. I recently was at a family member's house who has a newer X1 DVR box. Looks like nothing has changed as its STILL a giant piece of junk
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
So I ran across the article below which says that "a set-top cable box with a digital recorder can consume as much as 35 watts of power, costing about $8 a month." I was just wondering if anyone knows off hand how much electricity a TiVo Roamio Plus consumes/costs to run in comparison.

it also depends on your electrcity cost. Mine is around 11.5 cents per kWh. A 35 watt, 24/7, device costs under $3 a month for me.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
it also depends on your electrcity cost. Mine is around 11.5 cents per kWh. A 35 watt, 24/7, device costs under $3 a month for me.
Same here. If you're paying $8/month for that much power it's because of poor planning and/or political choices (e.g., NIMBY) that were made in your region.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Same here. If you're paying $8/month for that much power it's because of poor planning and/or political choices (e.g., NIMBY) that were made in your region.
CT is the highest in the CONUS at around 18 cents a kwh. And I'd much rather have our grid than just about anyone else's. We have 40% clean, green, low-carbon nuclear power, and the remainder of our grid is less dirty than most others, with a relatively high renewable requirement (not sure exactly what it's up to at this point). I don't think we have any coal left.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
CT is the highest in the CONUS at around 18 cents a kwh. And I'd much rather have our grid than just about anyone else's. We have 40% clean, green, low-carbon nuclear power, and the remainder of our grid is less dirty than most others, with a relatively high renewable requirement (not sure exactly what it's up to at this point). I don't think we have any coal left.
I live in West Hartford CT and my biggest CL&P bill (about $150) was at 15.8 cents a Kwh, my smallest bill was $116 at about 16.5 cents a Kwh, I guess with a fixed $16 charge before you use your first Kwh you can get to 18 cents a Kwh with a low use of power. The incremental cost per Kwh for me is 14.2 cents per Kwh, that what I use when trying to find out what any hardware is going to cost me in electric cost. I had an older flat screen HDTV that used 25 watts when off, that cost me $2.5 per month, the TV is now in a guest room and not plug in unless I have people using that room.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Just did the calculation: $8/mo for 35W 24/7 is 31 cents per kWh.

and
Old 07-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Just did the calculation: $8/mo for 35W 24/7 is 31 cents per kWh.
An a little more in a leap year.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
aridon

So it costs me about $3 per month to run the box with all the features? Seems like a bargain to me. I can turn the AC off for a couple of hours in a month and save that.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Then there is the Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) TA which runs so hot I suspect it uses more power than a TiVo, especially the later model TiVos.

and
Old 07-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #12
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Then there is the Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) TA which runs so hot I suspect it uses more power than a TiVo, especially the later model TiVos.
The Power Supply is rated 30W Max.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...63/7010514.pdf

TA is listed as Power Dissipation - 15W Max.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...28/7013834.pdf

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
The Power Supply is rated 30W Max.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...63/7010514.pdf

TA is listed as Power Dissipation - 15W Max.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...28/7013834.pdf
Interesting. I had noted that the **input** rating of the power supply is 1.2 A (at 120 V), which is well over 100 W. Presumably this is a peak rating unless the unit is very inefficient. All I can say is the TA sure produces a lot of heat for a 15 W device!

and
Old 07-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
heyted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post

The cable and satellite television industry agreed to reduce the power consumption, but the article states that "...the agreement has no penalties for noncompliance." It sounds like many of the companies may ignore the agreement. It may be up to the customers to force the companies to do something about it or to shut the box off (disconnect the power) when not being used.

TiVo uses less power than many of the boxes from the cable companies, but a significant portion of the problem is the nearly constant full power usage all the time and the multiplication of this by all of the users that keep their boxes on all the time. The cost of having a DVR on all the time is more than the kWh used by the DVR. A DVR is a heater, and it will potentially slightly increase your cooling costs if you use an air conditioner (unless you are doing something unique to avoid the increase). Also, a gateway or modem and router are needed by the box that are also often left on all the time. Tivo Inc. should also do something about the constant nearly full power usage such as having the box go into a very low power state at night. Also, there is no need to have six tuners buffering all the time. According to the post at the link below, there is also a reason not related to power savings to not have all tuners buffer all the time.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...3#post10151403
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyted View Post
The cable and satellite television industry agreed to reduce the power consumption, but the article states that "...the agreement has no penalties for noncompliance." It sounds like many of the companies may ignore the agreement. It may be up to the customers to force the companies to do something about it or to shut the box off (disconnect the power) when not being used.

TiVo uses less power than many of the boxes from the cable companies, but a significant portion of the problem is the nearly constant full power usage all the time and the multiplication of this by all of the users that keep their boxes on all the time. The cost of having a DVR on all the time is more than the kWh used by the DVR. A DVR is a heater, and it will potentially slightly increase your cooling costs if you use an air conditioner (unless you are doing something unique to avoid the increase). Also, a gateway or modem and router are needed by the box that are also often left on all the time. Tivo Inc. should also do something about the constant nearly full power usage such as having the box go into a very low power state at night. Also, there is no need to have six tuners buffering all the time. According to the post at the link below, there is also a reason not related to power savings to not have all tuners buffer all the time.

I got slammed on this Forum for telling people that I have one of my TiVos on a timer. The timer turns off the TiVo at about 4:30am and turn it back on at about 5Pm as I do not record anything in that time slot, I think it will reduce the total power and increase the hard drive life, has worked for me and the updates still will get put in as the re-boot for updates takes place at 2am and don't last more than 2.5 hours.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #16
aridon

Power cycles and heat are hard drive killers.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I got slammed on this Forum for telling people that I have one of my TiVos on a timer. The timer turns off the TiVo at about 4:30am and turn it back on at about 5Pm as I do not record anything in that time slot, I think it will reduce the total power and increase the hard drive life, has worked for me and the updates still will get put in as the re-boot for updates takes place at 2am and don't last more than 2.5 hours.
It's your box. You can do what you want with it. Although personally I don't have that option. Since I have recordings going on every day and almost every hour of the day. I typically have six concurrent recordings six days a week a t some point.

Plus the power usage of the Roamios are much lower. There are other things I can do to reduce my power usage before I turn off my TiVos. Like I could have my game systems all shut down instead of use standby. My two XBOnes use 12 to 16 watts each while my PS4 uses around 9 watts. Then I have my external drive cases for my unRAID setups. They draw a couple dozen watts just sitting there, but it makes it easier for me since they automatically come on when I hit the power switch on each main unRAID box.

I did recently switch all my CFL bulbs out to LED(47 bulbs) which does save me on a lot of electricity and less heat output(I'm using around 60% to 70% less electricity with my LED lights). I have noticed that my A/C needs to run less now to get to the set temperature since I don't have the CFL bulbs putting out 130F temps. The LED bulbs are only putting out around 90F to 95F.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #18
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Does that apply to SoCal. Our rates are tiered. At the beginning of the month I pay 13 cents, then 16 cents, then 30 cents and finally 33 cents for each KW in the top tier. They jigger around the number of KWH needed to reach a tier depending on the season so it is very hard to predict exactly. My average for the month, gotten by dividing my full bill by the total KWHs for the month was just under 18 cents a KWH.

I don't know about poor planning and political choices, though both are likely true. I think we are helping Southern California Edison pay for decommissioning of nuclear plants among other things.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #19
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
We have more clean green nuclear power here in Illinois than anywhere else. ComEd soaked the ratepayers that the insane investment would result in "power too cheap to meter." Then pushed a deal through the state legislature to move the plants to their parent company and make local ratepayers pay "competitive market rates."

So you get the power from our "too cheap to meter" nuke plants we built and pay what we pay.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #20
lessd

Quote:
CL&P in CT is only 18% clean as you say or renewable as most people say, unless your referring to nuclear power as clean. You can get 100% renewable as an option if you want to pay an extra $0.025 per Kwh about 25% more than CL&P is charging per Kwh (10 cents vs 12.5 cents) The delivery rate is fixed and is addition to your Kwh charge, it amounts to about 6 cents per Kwh for the average home.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #21
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyted View Post

There should be no penalties, this is gov't interference I never voted for. While there is some truth to the article, it smells like the energy police making a run for us again.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #22
spaldingclan

the Pacific NW has the cheapest in the nation ( lots of Hydro power),,I just looked, I pay 6.3 cents for the first 1000kwh and then 6.9 after. My Electric bills never go over 130/month and thats with me running the AC 24/7 all summer in a 2900 sq ft house
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
the Pacific NW has the cheapest in the nation ( lots of Hydro power),,I just looked, I pay 6.3 cents for the first 1000kwh and then 6.9 after. My Electric bills never go over 130/month and thats with me running the AC 24/7 all summer in a 2900 sq ft house
That would be a dream here. My bills are rarely lower than that in my 1350 sq ft condo. With only running the A/C a few hours a day.

EVen though my rate is only 11.5 cents a KwH, I do know I have it much better than many other parts of the country. But 6.3 cents?! Those seems like rates we had in the 20th century around here. If ever.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #24
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
You must be in a cheap spot even for the Pac NW. Here is a web site giving electric rates for all states in 2013:
http://www.electricchoice.com/electr...s-by-state.php
According to that the 2013 residential rates for Oregon were 10.16 cents/kWh and for Washington 8.82 cents/kWh. Or did the rates go down that much from 2013 to 2014? Granted these are significantly lower than the national average of 12.54.

and
Old 07-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #25
Bigg

Quote:
I live in West Hartford CT and my biggest CL&P bill (about $150) was at 15.8 cents a Kwh, my smallest bill was $116 at about 16.5 cents a Kwh, I guess with a fixed $16 charge before you use your first Kwh you can get to 18 cents a Kwh with a low use of power. The incremental cost per Kwh for me is 14.2 cents per Kwh, that what I use when trying to find out what any hardware is going to cost me in electric cost. I had an older flat screen HDTV that used 25 watts when off, that cost me $2.5 per month, the TV is now in a guest room and not plug in unless I have people using that room.
Is that generation and distribution? It sounds like it, because I think generation is like 11 or 13 or something, and the remainder is distribution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
We have more clean green nuclear power here in Illinois than anywhere else. ComEd soaked the ratepayers that the insane investment would result in "power too cheap to meter." Then pushed a deal through the state legislature to move the plants to their parent company and make local ratepayers pay "competitive market rates."

So you get the power from our "too cheap to meter" nuke plants we built and pay what we pay.
Yes, you have a lot, but the other parts of your grid are pretty dirty, so it's a real mix. The concept of "too cheap to meter" was a ridiculous fantasy. Nuclear is expensive, and when you factor in lifecycle costs of the waste and whatnot, they are more so, but when you factor in CO2 emissions, and you look at the density of baseload power generation, you can see why nuclear makes sense, even if it's not the cheapest thing out there...

Quote:
CL&P in CT is only 18% clean as you say or renewable as most people say, unless your referring to nuclear power as clean. You can get 100% renewable as an option if you want to pay an extra $0.025 per Kwh about 25% more than CL&P is charging per Kwh (10 cents vs 12.5 cents) The delivery rate is fixed and is addition to your Kwh charge, it amounts to about 6 cents per Kwh for the average home.
CT is 18% renewable, so that would be about 55-60% clean/green, since nuclear is a clean, green, non-renewable source of energy. There are competitive providers that are doing 100% renewable for very similar pricing to what CL&P charges for the standard mix.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #26
lessd

Quote:
You must be in a cheap spot even for the Pac NW. Here is a web site giving electric rates for all states in 2013:
According to that the 2013 residential rates for Oregon were 10.16 cents/kWh and for Washington 8.82 cents/kWh. Or did the rates go down that much from 2013 to 2014? Granted these are significantly lower than the national average of 12.54.
The sight you gave had CT at 17 cents/Kwh, you could only get to that price if you used so little power that the fixed $16/month played a big part in your total price, for me it adds about 1.6 cents/Kwh and my total bill is about 15 cents/Kwh at 1000 Kwh per month, I guess if you used only 500 Kwh per month you would get close to that 17 cents, but if you used 2000 Kwh per month you price would down to about 14 cents.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #27
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
The sight you gave had CT at 17 cents/Kwh, you could only get to that price if you used so little power that the fixed $16/month played a big part in your total price, for me it adds about 1.6 cents/Kwh and my total bill is about 15 cents/Kwh at 1000 Kwh per month, I guess if you used only 500 Kwh per month you would get close to that 17 cents, but if you used 2000 Kwh per month you price would down to about 14 cents.
Obviously the figures are averages based on average residential consumption. Here is a web site giving those figures for 2012:
http://www.eia.gov/electricity/sales...s/table5_a.xls
As you can see the average in CT was 731 kWh/month, which is fairly consistent with the 17 cents/kWh, which is also given as the monthly average.

and
Old 07-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #28
spaldingclan

Quote:
not sure, I just pulled up my bill again. I pay those rates right now through Portland General Electric. In the 10 years I've been in this house, my bills have been pretty much the same
Old 07-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #29
spaldingclan

I just realized that I'm not including the 3.9 cents for transmission charge...so I pay around 10 cents a kwh