TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #31
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
Yes, the naming scheme by WD is pretty pathetic! The shocking part is that WD TV, the "king" as you put it, has no support for Netflix, while the two "lower" models still do.

In my case, having Netflix on Tivo (hooray!), I didn't like the omission, but I'm going to live with another product that has a notable "hole" in its feature set.
They can add Netflix in a later software update. The first gen WD TV Live Hub originally did not have the Sling Player app, and it came in an update. The second gen shipped with it. I'm hoping since the other products are now third gen, that the Live Hub is just in limbo, rather than discontinued.

Unlike TiVo, WD tries to make everything right before allowing public consumption. If they can't, they don't release it, or release it minus whatever they are having a problem with.

Netflix is supposed to be able to run on anything. I don't believe that WD is going to leave it out of the WD TV (3rd gen) King of the current product lineup. I'd expect whatever the version that it gets, will be the best ever, on any device. If all third gen WD TV products nixed Netflix, I might start to worry about it not ever being available. Again, unlike TiVo, WD doesn't say "coming soon", or otherwise promise things before they are ready. Your WD TV has a newer chip than the others. So, unless that chip has a fatal Netflix flaw that can't be resolved, I'd think that WD is just waiting for Netflix to provision and provide the base software platform to build on, or Netflix just needs to update something on their end for the SoC used.

It's better to know something is not included in a product, not be mislead, and wind up with a pleasant surprise one day in the future, as opposed to being lead to believe what's missing is about to "come soon", and keep hearing that until the next generation has come out.

In TiVo's case, I really believe that the Roamio is the final hardware device TiVo will ever make (in the retail DVR space). They may make some hardware revisions, and release major hardware revisions of non-hard drive devices, like the Mini and Stream, perhaps even adding some new hardware features (which might include newer chipsets).

Have you tested ISO file compatibility, so aaronwt can get his answer? If not, I guess I may just have to rip a DVD to ISO and see what happens.

EDIT/ADD: I see kdmorse has verified the WD TV Live plays ISOs directly. It would be good to know the generation, and confirm/refute other generations and models.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #32
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
Their product naming is awful. Their website is awful. Their PDF's are awful.

But, my WD TV Live does play .ISOs directly. Always has.

I can't vouch for the ability of any other WD TV <*> products.
Yeah, it's a real mess, which makes me think "mid refresh cycle".

What generation is your unit, and what is the model number of it (that can help determine the generation).
Old 07-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #33
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
What generation is your unit, and what is the model number of it (that can help determine the generation).
WD TV Live Streaming Media Player
P/N: WDBHG70000NBK-01

It has no other useful markings, so I hope that's enough. It's not the original launch generation (I think). But I've had it long enough that it might not be the current generation.

However, I bought my father a seemingly identical one (I didn't compare part numbers) recently, just grabbed it off the shelf, it looks like mine, and it plays .ISOs as well. So I don't think that can be too many generations behind.
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #34
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
So now I put this issue up to the many of you who are much farther along than I am in this new "quest": here, in mid-2014, what do YOU recommend for viewing my personal photos, music, and movies (mostly home movies) on my 2007 HDMI HDTV?
The current favorite for handling local media and online streaming (In one box) is the Amazon FireTV. Supports Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and tons of other services, and because it's running Android, XBMC works amazingly well on it. $100.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #35
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
They can add Netflix in a later software update. [...] Unlike TiVo, WD tries to make everything right before allowing public consumption. If they can't, they don't release it, or release it minus whatever they are having a problem with. [...] Netflix is supposed to be able to run on anything. I don't believe that WD is going to leave it out of the WD TV (3rd gen) King of the current product lineup.
The last year or so, Netflix has begun limit who runs their app. I know a few companies who don't meet Netflix's possibly shifting sales requirement. Tho can and do obviously cherry pick others as they go for strategic reasons. I wouldn't say it's a given WD gets Netflix on this new box (and for whatever it's worth my email to their PR person at launch on this question was ignored).
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #36
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
The last year or so, Netflix has begun limit who runs their app. I know a few companies who don't meet Netflix's possibly shifting sales requirement. Tho can and do obviously cherry pick others as they go for strategic reasons. I wouldn't say it's a given WD gets Netflix on this new box (and for whatever it's worth my email to their PR person at launch on this question was ignored).
That's good to know.

Any way this is something that I could/should have read about somewhere?

I'm not questioning what you say, just wondering if there might be some links to some relevant articles I (we) could review. I suppose they had to do something, or we'd be buying toasters with Netflix support in the future...
Old 07-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #37
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Any way this is something that I could/should have read about somewhere? I'm not questioning what you say, just wondering if there might be some links to some relevant articles I (we) could review. I suppose they had to do something, or we'd be buying toasters with Netflix support in the future...
The conversations I had were probably confidential, but I know at least two companies/products blocked out. Don't know if there's anything public but it seems to be common knowledge amongst many I've interacted with.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote