TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
taba469

Question Replaced power supply about a year ago, reboot loop back

Over a year ago, I replaced the power supply in my T3... today it started the reboot loop. Anyone know if a weaKnees replacement power supply can fail or is my problem a fail drive?

Regards,
Mike
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
timhbtr53

I would test the drive in a pc first. Does the power supply have any caps that has dome tops or leaking? The welcome screen loop is going to be a HDD or power supply. Hope that helps. Ops what model S3 do you have?
timhbtr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
taba469

I have a Tivo Series 3 (not sure if that is what you were asking)... I will try to look at the power supply but suspect the HDD since there is no effect if I remove the Cable Cards (the boot loop continues).
Old 07-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
timhbtr53

Quote:
Originally Posted by taba469 View Post
I have a Tivo Series 3 (not sure if that is what you were asking)... I will try to look at the power supply but suspect the HDD since there is no effect if I remove the Cable Cards (the boot loop continues).
There or three models of the series 3 "TCD648250B" "TCD652160" "TCD658000" it will be on the service tag on the back with the TIN number. If it's the TCD648250B like I think it is the caps or going to fail. But what you said you replaced the power supply but you still could have some bad caps but I would bet your HDD is toast. DO you have a image file to build a new drive and the software? IF you need any help please let me know and I can give you what I can. I see your in Tx I'm in Baton Rouge, if you run in to a brick wall PM me and I can try some things with you. Have a great one... Tim
Old 07-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #5
taba469

Smile

timhbtr53,

Appreciate your assistance... I have a weaKnees replacement power supply (in both of my units) and suspected the HDD is the issue; was looking for a 2nd opinion

I've ordered a replacement drive from weaKnees so hopefully I'll be back online in a couple of days.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:06 AM   #6
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I wonder if Weakknees sold you a power supply they pulled out of a old TiVo without replacing the caps? Is the brand name of the caps the old brand name that had all the problems with?

If they did I would tell them to ship you another one for free.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
jrtroo
User

I would suggest switching the PSs to see if the issue follows.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
timhbtr53

replaytv & jrtroo I have to agree with both of you guys....
I think it would be a lot cheaper to buy a unsub S3 off eBay and try power supply swap. I see so many post about a curtain company's rebuild P/S going bad after a year.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhbtr53 View Post
replaytv & jrtroo I have to agree with both of you guys....
I think it would be a lot cheaper to buy a unsub S3 off eBay and try power supply swap. I see so many post about a curtain company's rebuild P/S going bad after a year.
I think the deal is that they are not rebuilt.

In other words, they are working pulls from units with some other problem that surfaced early on, or they are new old stock which was never installed in a TiVo before, which means they have the same bogus caps which are going to go bad prematurely once they started getting plugged in and used.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
timhbtr53

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I think the deal is that they are not rebuilt.

In other words, they are working pulls from units with some other problem that surfaced early on, or they are new old stock which was never installed in a TiVo before, which means they have the same bogus caps which are going to go bad prematurely once they started getting plugged in and used.
I bet they just place it in a test unit and if it gets past the welcome screen it's marked good. What a shame it take me about 10 minutes to recap "all the caps" and less than 12 bucks in parts. Wow and the price OMG
Old 07-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
taba469

Thumbs up Problem resolved

To close out this thread...

I confirmed the P/S is good (no blown caps). Received my replacement HDD yesterday; installed it and back up and running. I suspected the HDD since for the past month my video lockups were increasing. Should have tested the HDD before the failure.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
squint

Since you have the old drive out you should test it now to confirm it was the drive as it could have been the software. Out of about a dozen broken Tivos I've seen, only one actually had a bad drive. Most started working again after overwriting the drive with a new drive image.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by taba469 View Post
To close out this thread...

I confirmed the P/S is good (no blown caps). Received my replacement HDD yesterday; installed it and back up and running. I suspected the HDD since for the past month my video lockups were increasing. Should have tested the HDD before the failure.
The way you confirm that the power supply is good is with a Voltmeter (although you could also use an oscilloscope).

To be nitpicky, you could test the caps with some specialized gear, but that only tests the caps, not the entire power supply.

Caps can be bad or going bad without showing visible signs.

The reverse is not true, however. If you can see swelling or leakage, you know that one is bad.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:39 AM   #14
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Since you have the old drive out you should test it now to confirm it was the drive as it could have been the software. Out of about a dozen broken Tivos I've seen, only one actually had a bad drive. Most started working again after overwriting the drive with a new drive image.
I've seen this too, a great many times. Especially with TiVo HDs & Premieres.

Out of about 12 drives, 10 just had corrupted data, but nothing wrong with the drives. One had a few bad sectors, the other just plain failed.

I'm growing weary of the circus and parade about power supply recapping, and the extreme, often improper, over-usage of the term "capacitor plague".

If I repaired everything that *might* have something wrong with it, or *might* fail some unknown time in the future, I'd never have time to watch TiVo, since I'd be far too busy fixing things that aren't broken...