TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #61
Tomago

Does anyone have a 4tb image they can share?
Tomago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #62
xdroccax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
That may take some DvrBARS tweaking on my part. I haven't tested it yet.

The file format can handle just under 2TiB, but there's a field in the VHD header that lists the total number of sectors on the drive. Cramming the sector count for a 4TB drive into that 32-bit field will probably limit it to 1,801,763,774,464 bytes. I need to add a few lines of code so that when backing up larger drives it will use the VHD max instead of the actual drive size.
Hhmm.. If dvrBARS can handle 2Tb now, then (theoretically) can we drop the (clean) 1Tb XL image onto a 2Tb, reassign partitions, expand/coalesce, fix divorce partition, SAVE as VHD image at this point. Then drop the 2Tb image on a 4tb, and do an expand/supersize. Would this expand to the remaining free space of the 4Tb?
xdroccax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #63
jmbach

Yes. If we do it that way, I would recommend dropping the 1TB image (assuming native and not expanded yet) on the 2TB and expanding and supersizing it. dd copy the image to the 4TB. Then copy and rearrange back to the 2TB. Coalesce the appropriate pair of partitions. Let the TiVo divorce (and update OS if need be) and then DvrBARS back up the image. Then that image can be restored to a 4TB drive and the expanded with the patched JMFS to 4TB.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #64
xdroccax

Note

Just to make it clear, the following steps is what you're suggesting.

Steps:

1. Use dvrBARS with native 1Tb XL image to restore to a 2Tb drive
2. Use JMFS v1.05 to Expand & Supersize via guide.sh
3. Then use "dd if=/dev/sda2TDrive of=/dev/sdb4TDrive bs=4096"
4. Then "tivo_copy_rearranged.sh /dev/sdb4TDrive /dev/sda2TDrive 1 11 12 13 15 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 10"
5. Then "tivo_coalesce.sh /dev/sda2TDrive 12 13"
6. Put 2Tb drive back into Tivo and let it divorce/update/etc.
7. Use dvrBARS with updated 2Tb drive to backup new updated image.
8. Use new updated image on 4Tb drive(s), then JMFS v1.05 to expand.
xdroccax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #65
jmbach

Yes exactly.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:16 AM   #66
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Yes exactly.
When putting the drive in to let it update the software (required for >2TB), you should use the "zip00000/Tiny TiVo" trick I outlined in this post: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...2#post10150292 (post #55).

This will make the cleanest and smallest image possible, which will compress/zip down further.

I need to find all the posts I made about this trick and add that no cablecard should be installed (in addition to not having the coax-in connected), for best results, smallest image size, and for other reasons I've just found and verified twice.
Old Today, 12:20 PM   #67
Lou_d

I need little help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdroccax View Post
Just to make it clear, the following steps is what you're suggesting.

Steps:

1. Use dvrBARS with native 1Tb XL image to restore to a 2Tb drive
2. Use JMFS v1.05 to Expand & Supersize via guide.sh
3. Then use "dd if=/dev/sda2TDrive of=/dev/sdb4TDrive bs=4096"
4. Then "tivo_copy_rearranged.sh /dev/sdb4TDrive /dev/sda2TDrive 1 11 12 13 15 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 10"
5. Then "tivo_coalesce.sh /dev/sda2TDrive 12 13"
6. Put 2Tb drive back into Tivo and let it divorce/update/etc.
7. Use dvrBARS with updated 2Tb drive to backup new updated image.
8. Use new updated image on 4Tb drive(s), then JMFS v1.05 to expand.
On step 4 you have the 4tb first in the command line then the 2tb drive. Is that correct? The reason I ask, is in post 42. It looks like the IntermediateDrive (2TB)drive is first then the DestinationDrive (4TB) drive is 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykotix View Post
Switch to TivoTool scripts to rearrange and copy partitions from IntermediateDrive (2TB) to DestinationDrive (4TB)
Code:
# cd ~/TivoTools/coalesce_scripts
# ./tivo_copy_rearranged.sh /dev/IntermediateDrive /dev/DestinationDrive 1 11 12 13 15 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 10
I might just be confusing the two posts\processes, but thank you for helping me to understand.
Lou_d is offline   Reply With Quote