TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
abr88

Time-Warner new lineup in NYC

I have a Tivo Series 3 HD with a TWC (New York City) cablecard. Now I find that since their new channel lineup as of a week ago, which clobbered the much-used HD channels, non-premium network channels (now among channels 1-100) that used to have HD counterparts are not appearing in HD as promised. Yes, the image is 16:9 instead of 4:3, but the picture quality is unmistakably SD. Widescreen SD is not the same as HD! And PBS (channel 13) isn't even widescreen -- for PBS I have to adjust the aspect to get a properly proportioned 4:3 image. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something I should do?
abr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
59er
TiVotee

Do you have the USB connected between your tuning adapter and TiVo?
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
abr88

Thanks for the reply but I don't understand it! I don't have a tuning adapter; the TWC signal goes straight into the Tivo cablecard. USB input is connected to a wifi adapter thing. Perhaps you could clarify. Is a tuning adapter part of a possible solution? I've never seen one, don't know what it looks like, and don't know where it goes in the connection chain. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
59er
TiVotee

The Tuning Adapter is a necessary free rental item from TWC in order to properly get all of your channels, and particularly for the auto-HD to work.

The cable signal runs into the TA box (mine is a Cisco STA1520), and then another coax plus the USB cable run out from TA to TiVo.

You should be able to get a TA, with the power adapter, coax cable, and USB cable from TWC - either by mail, via truck roll, or at a main TA retail outlet.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
abr88

59er -- After reading your post I excitedly went over to TWC at 96 and Broadway and obtained a tuning adapter, but it doesn't seem to have caused any improvement. I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly including the usb feedback into the Tivo, but everything is exactly the same including that the Tivo never posted anything onscreen to indicate that it was doing any kind of recalibration in response to the TA's presence. Is it possible I missed something? At the end of the Tivo “DVR Diagnostics” readout it says:
Tuning Adapter: Not available
Last status: Initializing [it says this perpetually]
Channel List Received: Yes
Old 06-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
59er
TiVotee

That doesn't sound right at all! When the TA gets connected, you KNOW -- it hijacks your TiVo for a moment with a status screen. What is the status of the green light on the front of the TA: solid green? blinking?

Also, what model of TA did they give you?
Old 06-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

See my current signature (about not using the OUT port of the TA), then let me know if it applies (and make the change, if needed), so I can try to help further.

TAs don't magically work. They need to be authorized and associated with a cablecard, over the phone, AFAIK. This is the scenario I'm familiar with.

For ease of people helping you, get all this information written down:

cablecard Serial Number (usually a group of letters, easiest to get off the card label, but can be found in the cablecard diag screens)

TA S/N (also usually a group of letters, found on the back of the TA or in the TA diag screens).

cablecard ID
host ID

Model of TiVo, cablecard brand, TA brand.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
abr88

Sorry nooneuknow, but what do MoCA and AFAIK mean? I need to know in order to take any action on your post.

59er, it's a Cisco STA1520, same as you I guess. The green light blinks for half a minute or so and then goes dark.

I'm going to be amazed if it turns out that after jumping through various hoops (which I'm willing to do) the auto-HD on basic channels starts giving me HD-quality picture (not just a 16:9 image). Amazed that TWC never hinted at the existence of these hoops!
Old 06-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr88 View Post
59er, it's a Cisco STA1520, same as you I guess. The green light blinks for half a minute or so and then goes dark.
After the T/A boots, the green light should stay on solid.
Try leaving the usb cable disconnected from either tivo or tuning adapter.
Disconnect power from T/A for a minute.
Reconnect power to the T/A and let it run through its boot routine.
If after 10 minutes the green light is not on solid.
Either call Time Warner cable card hot line: 866-532-2598
or
pay another visit to the office and get a different T/A.

If the green light is solid; reconnect the usb cable. (may need to restart the tivo)
If still no joy, try a different usb cable.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr88 View Post
Sorry nooneuknow, but what do MoCA and AFAIK mean? I need to know in order to take any action on your post.

I'm going to be amazed if it turns out that after jumping through various hoops (which I'm willing to do) the auto-HD on basic channels starts giving me HD-quality picture (not just a 16:9 image). Amazed that TWC never hinted at the existence of these hoops!
MoCA is a networking technology that you need not worry about, based on the age of your TiVo, and that you'd know what it is, if you happened to be using add-on adapters to implement it.

AFAIK = As far as I know.

That aside, it's still least problematic to split the cable before the TA, and only use the IN port of the TA, then run the other leg to the TiVo itself. Make sure the USB cable is securely plugged in. Call TW and report back what they say about your issue.

To other members: Anybody else care to try and take a stab at this, please?