TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
dfuerpo

Change USB Ports for Tuning Adapter?

I have a Roamio Plus with two Minis on Charter Cable with a Cisco Tuning Adapter. On 3-4 occasions, I have lost a few digital channels, sometimes more than others. The first time this happened, I gritted my teeth and called Charter support. After taking me through several things, the support person suggested rebooting the TA and changing it to a different USB port on the Tivo. This did the trick. After that, this is the procedure I have used when I notice untunable digital channels. This is not a big deal, and in the larger scheme of things, just an annoyance, but I was wondering if there was anything else that could be done to prevent this occurrence?
dfuerpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
moyekj

Most likely merely a reboot of the Cisco TA is what is helping. No need to switch USB port. Cisco TAs seem to have a history of having issues and needing reboots occasionally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
eziemann

You could put the Cisco TA on a timer. Have it power cycle at 3am daily.

I had problems with my TAs and TivoHDs a few years ago. Could never get it to record suggestions due to a conflict with the Motorola TA.
eziemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuerpo View Post
I have a Roamio Plus with two Minis on Charter Cable with a Cisco Tuning Adapter. On 3-4 occasions, I have lost a few digital channels, sometimes more than others. The first time this happened, I gritted my teeth and called Charter support. After taking me through several things, the support person suggested rebooting the TA and changing it to a different USB port on the Tivo. This did the trick. After that, this is the procedure I have used when I notice untunable digital channels. This is not a big deal, and in the larger scheme of things, just an annoyance, but I was wondering if there was anything else that could be done to prevent this occurrence?
What firmware is your box running?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
jmbach

I have never had that issue that I know of. The only problem I have when the TiVo is tuned to one channel for a prolonged period of time without any interaction. It let's the TA release the channel and I get a black screen that tells you to press select for more options. Tuning off the channel and back on it again reacquires the channel.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
dfuerpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
What firmware is your box running?
Tivo 20.4.1-USA-6-848

TA STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601
Old 07-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
jmbach

I have Charter but with Motorola M-Card and TA. On the Motorola TA you can go into the diagnostic TA screen and see if the channel map is loaded. Also the TiVo DVR diagnostic screen also shows information about the cableCARDs and TAs. See what those screens report back when it is running correctly and when it is having the issue. See if you are losing the channel map.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

You aren't by some chance using the OUT port of the tuning adapter to connect coax to the TiVo, are you?

If you are, I suggest you stop using the OUT port of the TA, and use the "splitter" method, like described in my signature.

It's my signature, due to the insane number of people it has helped, especially those with MoCA-supporting TiVos, or that have MoCA in use at all. It has helped others without MoCA, sometimes (for a variety of ailments when a TA is used in-line, rather than split-path).
Old 07-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
dfuerpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
You aren't by some chance using the OUT port of the tuning adapter to connect coax to the TiVo, are you?

If you are, I suggest you stop using the OUT port of the TA, and use the "splitter" method, like described in my signature.

It's my signature, due to the insane number of people it has helped, especially those with MoCA-supporting TiVos, or that have MoCA in use at all. It has helped others without MoCA, sometimes (for a variety of ailments when a TA is used in-line, rather than split-path).
Actually, I AM using the TA inline, as the Charter set up guy did it this way when it was first set up (despite the fact that the splitter method is documented on the Charter website). However, I am using ethernet, not MoCA. I can try the splitter configuration if you think that would help.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuerpo View Post
Actually, I AM using the TA inline, as the Charter set up guy did it this way when it was first set up (despite the fact that the splitter method is documented on the Charter website). However, I am using ethernet, not MoCA. I can try the splitter configuration if you think that would help.
It can't hurt, and might help. You should also check to make sure you have MoCA turned off, if not using it. It might be possible that the MoCA is on, regardless of what networking method you selected, and is causing the TA to malfunction.

It would help if somebody currently using a MoCA equipped Roamio could verify that the MoCA can be turned off, and verified to be off. There can be some weirdness with the way Roamios support multiple networking methods, and making sure the ones you are not using are not enabled.

I only have base-models. So, I don't have the ability to just check one of mine for what the MoCA settings include/exclude, since they don't have MoCA built-in.

Try the splitter (and a PoE filter on the TA leg, if you have a filter on-hand), and see what happens. There's no point in waiting to try it. It's worked for others I've suggested it to, who didn't even have MoCA-capable models (in which case the PoE filter isn't needed, when no MoCA signals are on the coax).

Cisco TAs have a built in amplifier between the IN and OUT ports, not rated for MoCA, which results in issues when MoCA frequencies are allowed to get into it. At the same time, they can't adequately/properly get through it.

I've had issues like you describe when I had my TAs in-line with no MoCA-capable equipment in use and the splitter method did help.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-01-2014 at 02:30 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #11
joebrod

Usually once a month one of my TA goes out on the 3 Tivo premieres. I always lose the the same premium movie channels (HBO comedy , Cinemax action, etc)

I usually call Charter and they send a reset signal and it usually fixes it. Reboot on the tivo and/or TA doesn't resolve the problem. Recently I went out of town for 2 weeks and when I came home all 3 TA's were flashing the 8 cycle thing. This last time the reset didn't work so the Charter tech came out and switched the USB port on ONE of the Tivos - I didn't know about this fix. This fixed the problem on that tivo and interestingly it populated the channel map to the other 2 over the ethernet without doing anything to them directly. .

Thank you for the tip about the splitter as that will be the next thing to do for a long term fix.

Charter in Burbank, CA

Last edited by joebrod : 07-08-2014 at 01:25 PM.
joebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrod View Post
Usually once a month one of my TA goes out on the 3 Tivo premieres. I always lose the the same premium movie channels (HBO comedy , Cinemax action, etc)

I usually call Charter and they send a reset signal and it usually fixes it. Reboot on the tivo and/or TA doesn't resolve the problem. Recently I went out of town for 2 weeks and when I came home all 3 TA's were flashing the 8 cycle thing. This last time the reset didn't work so the Charter tech came out and switched the USB port on ONE of the Tivos - I didn't know about this fix. This fixed the problem on that tivo and interestingly it populated the channel map to the other 2 over the ethernet without doing anything to them directly. .

Thank you for the tip about the splitter as that will be the next thing to do for a long term fix.

Charter in Burbank, CA
Sometimes this "fix" gets reported. But, it's usually just due to the cable being disconnected, then reconnected. To use the same port requires waiting for the TiVo to notice the TA is not connected via USB, then plugging back in.

Whatever works, works. It's something easy enough to try, if all else fails.

Still, what you describe sounds more like the TAs lost communication, or their provisioning, with the cable company headend, and the timing of it being re-established just happened to coincide with what was being tried at that time. It's not possible for swapping the USB port in use on one TiVo to fix anything else "over the ethernet network". It's just not possible.

It's still good to hear you are back up, regardless.