TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series 1 - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
pauly

Isn't this depressing...

Old Tivos slowly disappearing out of existence.

I've used a few PVRs now, and still nothing even comes close to my old Series 1. YouView even with 2 or 3 tuners and all these capabilities, the experience is just horrible and nothing works like it should, Tivo was just perfect. I had high hopes for the virgin tivo but thats even more painful to use it is just... depressing
pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
spitfires
wassock

Yes it's sad It was HD that did it; in the clamour for sharper-than-life bigger-than-elephant tv, poor wee Series 1 got left behind. "Never mind the usability, just look at the size of that picture"! Personally I have no desire for HD (too sharp) or 40" screen (too big) so I'll stick with my S1.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
pauly

You have mode 0 anyway which is halfway there anyway.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:25 AM   #4
beastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly View Post
Old Tivos slowly disappearing out of existence.

I've used a few PVRs now, and still nothing even comes close to my old Series 1. YouView even with 2 or 3 tuners and all these capabilities, the experience is just horrible and nothing works like it should, Tivo was just perfect. I had high hopes for the virgin tivo but thats even more painful to use it is just... depressing
I'm not up to speed with how bad the Virgin Tivo is nowadays (I've not used it). I imagine its better now with various addons and tweaks since release? Also I realise that we all we want a freeview based UK Tivo with the option to add cable/sky but what is the consensus opinion on why the Virgin Tivo is so bad? I mean it has wish lists and the peanut etc. Is it really that bad and why?
beastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
pauly

I just found it slow and cumbersome to use. And unintuitive. Prefer the Series 1 EPG, to me it was not far off perfect (removing filtered channels instead of greying out would have be my only nitpick). I haven't spent that long on it (never had the option to get one) though so maybe im being harsh.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

The VM TiVo has got much better and faster since release - especially since one software update turned on the second processor core..!

3 Tuners and HD - what's not to like ?

It's let down by the fact that you can't deselect unwanted channels at all
(like channels I receive on S1 TiVo)

- this completely destroys the functionailty of many Wishlists, a keyword wishlist will grab millions of cartoons etc...
while the wishlist system is more advanced, you can add multiple exceptions, and combinations - it still gets swamped because of the above lacking feature.

That said, I spend alot of time on netflix these days (also on the VM tivo)
mikerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
6022tivo
A Happy Member

Sad times...

I sold my network cards and had a standard Tivo in the car for the tip recently.

As I was unloading all my stuff at the tip due to a house move. I looked and tivo and kept him in the car....

I just could not do it...

IMO HD killed it off for me..

With regards to functionality, nothing gets close.

It was a life changing experience..

Thanks mytivo.co.uk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Media PC -> Xbox 360, DM800HD
Pioneer 505XDE (Still the best)
6022tivo is offline   Reply With Quote