TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #61
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
??? How is it not healthy? If it helps people sleep then I would think it's healthy. Personally I don;t sleep with my TV on, but I have a very difficult time sleeping with little to no ambient noise. I need some ambient noise, like a fan or heat pump outside and I will fall right asleep. If it's quiet I will toss and turn for hours since I can hear every little noise from all over. Like insects outside, creaks from things expanding and contracting, people talking or using the bathroom from 2 floors up. I hear too much when it's quiet. I need some ambient noise to drown it out. I'll even hear a watch or clocking ticking from down the hall which along with the sound of running water are two of the most annoying sounds to me. And I can't use ear plugs because then I will hear my blood flowing and my heartbeat. WHich will prevent me from sleeping as well.
That's why I love bathroom fans - nice white noise to sleep to. Short of that or when away from home there's lots of white noise devices available. I took a 5 min white noise mp3 and spliced together an 8 hour version that I will typically play at night when away from home in hotel rooms that don't have good bathroom fans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #62
Digital Man

You guys should consider purchasing a cheap white noise machine rather than leaving the TV on. We have one in our bedroom and it works great. There are also white noise machine apps for smartphones that I use when I travel.

Guy
Digital Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #63
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
??? How is it not healthy? If it helps people sleep then I would think it's healthy. Personally I don;t sleep with my TV on, but I have a very difficult time sleeping with little to no ambient noise. I need some ambient noise, like a fan or heat pump outside and I will fall right asleep. If it's quiet I will toss and turn for hours since I can hear every little noise from all over. Like insects outside, creaks from things expanding and contracting, people talking or using the bathroom from 2 floors up. I hear too much when it's quiet. I need some ambient noise to drown it out. I'll even hear a watch or clocking ticking from down the hall which along with the sound of running water are two of the most annoying sounds to me. And I can't use ear plugs because then I will hear my blood flowing and my heartbeat. WHich will prevent me from sleeping as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
That's why I love bathroom fans - nice white noise to sleep to. Short of that or when away from home there's lots of white noise devices available. I took a 5 min white noise mp3 and spliced together an 8 hour version that I will typically play at night when away from home in hotel rooms that don't have good bathroom fans.
White noise is fine. Light and TV sound is not. Ambient noise machine is fine, so is running a fan (or A/C in the summer).
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #64
jmpage2

I participate in lots of forums, but I have never seen a forum where any topic gets consistently (and completely) off topic by page 3 than TCF.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #65
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I participate in lots of forums, but I have never seen a forum where any topic gets consistently (and completely) off topic by page 3 than TCF.
Lots of irony in play too.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #66
gweempose

We have an air purifier in our bedroom. Not only does the white noise from the fan help us sleep at night, but it cleans the air to boot.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #67
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
We have an air purifier in our bedroom. Not only does the white noise from the fan help us sleep at night, but it cleans the air to boot.
Come on now ! we are taking about the Mini 90 min. time out not how to sleep, if we want advice on how to go to sleep start a Thread on that subject.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #68
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
The time-out has become more annoying for me since the 20.3.1 update. Now when I receive the "Are you still there?" message and select "OK" to clear it, video and audio cease for a second or two. I don't actually miss any video or audio - it just seems to delay it like hitting the pause button would. Then when it comes back, I have to hit the Jump or FF button to get back to truly live TV. Really annoying when watching a sporting event.
This problem appears to be gone after this week's Mini software update. Got a timeout warning while watching football today and when I cleared it there was no interruption in video or audio.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #69
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
This problem appears to be gone after this week's Mini software update. Got a timeout warning while watching football today and when I cleared it there was no interruption in video or audio.
Did you read the update thread? it's clearly mentioned that one of the updates was swapping it from 90 min to 4 hrs.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #70
Jeremy5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Did you read the update thread? it's clearly mentioned that one of the updates was swapping it from 90 min to 4 hrs.
I would suggest that you might be the one who needs to re-read Loach's post.
Jeremy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #71
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5 View Post
I would suggest that you might be the one who needs to re-read Loach's post.
nope, no need.. while not 100% on target, there was an update in the time out logic that would suggest they have tweaked it, especially with Loach saying the issue was resolved.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #72
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that, but it is unrelated to the problem I was referencing. My post is about a problem I was having upon clearing the timeout message.

Incidentally, my Mini still times out after 90 minutes. As referenced in another thread, I apparently need the Mini to phone home to activate the longer timeout, which TiVo inadvertently didn't push with the original update.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #73
hershey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
....While I agree with making the timeout adjustable and being able to disable the feature, I wonder if the introduction of dynamic tuner allocation this fall will change the behavior of auto-sleep. ...
Darn, I noticed auto-sleep not working last 2 nights and I was afraid that the new Premiere update was responsible. I'm a light sleeper and I HATE waking up to audio in the middle of the night. I loved the 90 min auto time-out (although, yes I would prefer to set the time).

My TV's sleep timer is buried in a million menus and is a PITA to deal with every night. Auto was perfect for me.

Technically, i don't understand the internals and why you connected the two things, but it seems you were right.
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #74
moyekj

The timeout is now 4 hours instead of 90 minutes. TiVo chose to hard code another arbitrary number rather than giving users a choice.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #75
weedwhacker2

Tivo

Please give us the option of setting the "are you still watching" time period.
weedwhacker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #76
dallyn

Quote:
For those with a server running 24/7 one potential workaround is to have a simple program that uses the telnet capability to mimic a remote key press on the Mini every 60 minutes or so to prevent the timeout from happening.
This is what I am looking for. I will be putting a mini in my garage so my dogs have constant music or tv playing. It keeps down on outside noise upsetting them. The timeout is going to be difficult. Do you know where such a program can be had? I have been searching for a couple of days now and cannot find what I am looking for. with all the network remote programs out there right now, you would think that one of them would work this way....
dallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:10 AM   #77
moyekj

Here's a minimal python sample script to do it. This sample script will send a down arrow press to configured mini IP every 180 minutes or so.
(Obviously you need to adjust the mini_ip setting accordingly and you may want to choose a different code to send than down arrow).

(Most of this comes directly from wmcbrine's tivoremote python code).

Save following code to a file say called ping_mini.py and obviously you need python installed to run it.
Code:
import socket
import sys
import time

mini_ip = '192.168.10.173'
sleep_interval_mins = 180
sock = ''

def connect():
    try:
        global sock
        sock = socket.socket()
        sock.settimeout(5)
        sock.connect((mini_ip, 31339))
    except Exception, msg:
        msg = 'Could not connect to %s:\n%s' % (mini_ip, msg)
        sys.stderr.write(msg  + '\n')

def send(message):
    global sock
    if not sock:
        connect()
    try:
        sock.sendall(message)
        time.sleep(0.1)
    except Exception, msg:

while True:        
   send('IRCODE DOWN\r')
   time.sleep(sleep_interval_mins*60);

Last edited by moyekj : 06-07-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:31 AM   #78
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallyn View Post
I will be putting a mini in my garage so my dogs have constant music or tv playing.
There's cheaper hardware than a Mini. Like a RaspberryPi or Roku stick or Chromecast.

>you may want to choose a different code to send than down arrow).

What do these do on a mini?
MUTE
VOLUMEDOWN
VOLUMEUP
TVINPUT

Beacon might be useful for households with a lot of mini's.
[foreach Mini]

If you close the connection after "send", some other remotes might be able to connect in the interim. Dunno, maybe on that one.

Last edited by telemark : 06-07-2014 at 05:44 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #79
dallyn

Thank you! I will go install python. I have spent the last bit trying to learn how to build something in Expect that will take care of doing it, and then put something in windows scheduler, but this seems much better...

The reason I will be using a mini is that I work for the cable company, and so the extra mini will be very inexpensive, and I do still watch tv when I am out there. one of my dogs really likes HGTV.
dallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #80
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Here's a minimal python sample script to do it. This sample script will send a down arrow press to configured mini IP every 180 minutes or so.
(Obviously you need to adjust the mini_ip setting accordingly and you may want to choose a different code to send than down arrow).

(Most of this comes directly from wmcbrine's tivoremote python code).

Save following code to a file say called ping_mini.py and obviously you need python installed to run it.
Code:
import socket
import sys
import time

mini_ip = '192.168.10.173'
sleep_interval_mins = 180
sock = ''

def connect():
    try:
        global sock
        sock = socket.socket()
        sock.settimeout(5)
        sock.connect((mini_ip, 31339))
    except Exception, msg:
        msg = 'Could not connect to %s:\n%s' % (mini_ip, msg)

def send(message):
    global sock
    if not sock:
        connect()
    try:
        sock.sendall(message)
        time.sleep(0.1)
    except Exception, msg:

while True:        
   send('IRCODE DOWN\r')
   time.sleep(sleep_interval_mins*60);
When using timed activities it's often better to use the operating system's own task scheduling commands. That way you're leaving a program running, possibly interfering with the computer's ability to use power management, sleep or other features. Windows, linux, Mac; they all have some sort of task scheduling framework, use that instead.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #81
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The timeout is now 4 hours instead of 90 minutes. TiVo chose to hard code another arbitrary number rather than giving users a choice.
With dynamic tuner allocation now in place, why is any timeout required at all?

Sometimes I like to leave live TV on all day. Or all night while I sleep. Why does a TiVo Mini max out at 4 hours?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #82
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post

Sometimes I like to leave live TV on all day. Or all night while I sleep. Why does a TiVo Mini max out at 4 hours?
Because they don't have dynamic tuner de-allocation?
If you've got 4 Minis in the house, then what you describe will turn a Roamio Pro into a 2 tuner DVR, which most folks would regard as insufficient.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #83
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Then they should have dynamic tuner de-allocation. What they have now (yet again, thanks TiVo ) sounds like a half-hearted kludge.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #84
lpwcomp

Quote:
Then they should have dynamic tuner de-allocation. What they have now (yet again, thanks TiVo ) sounds like a half-hearted kludge.
That's essentially what you have now. What you want is for a tuner to remain allocated to a mini until explicitly released.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #85
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That's essentially what you have now. What you want is for a tuner to remain allocated to a mini until explicitly released.
Tomato, tomahtoe. I just want to leave the TV on for as long as I want to leave it on, playing live TV, without me having to trick it or fiddle with it.

You know, like we've been able to do with TVs since the invention of TV's?

Old 06-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #86
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
That sounds very selfish on your part. It wasn't a half-hearted kludge by TiVo, it was addressing a different audience than YOU. The Roamio/multiple Minis is a whole-house DVR solution, and that isn't satisfied by what YOU want. (Dynamic tuner de-allocation has major problems in a family environment - there are no good answers, and what they have works reasonably for most folks.)
Old 06-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #87
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
So wishing for a user option that allows the user to choose the length of time before live TV "times out" (yes, including an option for "never") is "selfish" on my part?

Ooooookay. Whatever, man. What about homes with only one person, but multiple TV's?

A user option would make everyone happy.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #88
lpwcomp

Quote:
So wishing for a user option that allows the user to choose the length of time before live TV "times out" (yes, including an option for "never") is "selfish" on my part?

Ooooookay. Whatever, man. What about homes with only one person, but multiple TV's?

Agreed. But that is not what you asked for:

Quote:

Old 06-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #89
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:

Wanting an option is fine, calling TiVo's implementation a half-baked kludge because it doesn't address YOUR needs is selfish - TiVo deliberately chose to address their target audience.

TiVo's initial implementation was a half-baked kludge, but it would have satisfied you. They promised to change it as soon as they could, and eventually did.

TiVos would be a hard sell if they added every option that people here have wanted over the years. I agree that it would be better for you with an option, but options are expensive when support staffs has to be trained on them, and the support staffs in question are cable system reps. If TiVo wants to survive, they have to sell their TiVos to cable companies who very strongly are not happy with lots of options.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #90
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Right, so what we're left with is a TiVo Mini that can't simply display live TV all day or all night without manual intervention. LOL. Rationalization's a helluva drug.