TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
jeffrypennock

Creating a VPN to stream ALL my TiVo Roamio channels away from home

I have TWC in NYC which ABSURDLY sets the copyright setting on all the non-OTA channels such that I can stream at home but can't stream outside the house. Comcast and other providers don't do it. On a different thread here, someone suggested that you could set up a VPN to replicate your in-home streaming iOS experience when you're out-of-home (OOH). I want to do this! I started researching if I could/how to go about this and realized...I have no clue how and know less about this topic than I thought I did.

Here's what I have:
TWC (television and premium internet)
Arris DG860A wifi modem router from TWC
TiVo Roamio Plus (connected via ethernet to the Arris)
iPad & iPhone running latest iOS and latest TiVo app

Is this something I can do with the equipment that I have? Does my router support a VPN (is that even a relevant question? I logged in to the configuration interface for my modem and I didn't see an obvious "VPN" tab where I could configure this but maybe I missed it)? There are so many high-lever users and experts on here, I am hopeful someone will please tell me how to do this or refer me to instructional articles that would teach me how. (Because the resources I was finding online were all either irrelevant or made sense/got me no closer to my goal.)

I think this is a much more appealing offer than getting a Sling (I've burned through too many of those flawed devices over the years) if this is something I can make work for me.
jeffrypennock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
telemark

What's your Internet Bandwidth (Up/Down)?
Do you still have the SlingBox?
Old 06-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
jeffrypennock

I don't have a sling box here in NYC, no.
My download is 31Mbps and my upload is 6Mbps.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
telemark

Upstream is usable, but I figure most people would prefer a Slingbox because it avoids a VPN.

This thread has some technical details.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=492571

After starting to write out directions, I don't feel this is for the faint of heart, because it could break anytime Tivo updates the app, and then you'd have to know some networking to figure out what's wrong.

Three methods to VPN from IOS when you're out and about.
1) Built in support, like so: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1288
2) 3rd party software that require jailbreaking
3) External wifi hardware (hotspots, laptops, smart phones in connection sharing mode)

Last edited by telemark : 06-16-2014 at 09:04 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
jeffrypennock

You're right, this really isn't for the faint of heart. I've used a VPN as an end user for years. I had no idea the creation/administration of one would be so hard. How is there not a VPN out of the box from Apple or some other clever retailer?
Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #6
HDRyder9

I support a lot of customers where VPN is a necessity. For ease of use and economy, I use Cisco RV042 routers with built in VPN support. If you can use PPTP protocol it's as easy as adding a PPTP user with a password and a remote Windows device or iOS device will log in.

For full time VPN connections, I like to use a RV042 router on each end. Essentially, you are on the same subnet and Tivo won't even notice it's not a local connection.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote