TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #31
ac3dd

The power board is made by CY. I don't see any goop near the capacitors. The only thing I could read on the capacitors is "CE NHG".
ac3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #32
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac3dd View Post
The power board is made by CY. I don't see any goop near the capacitors. The only thing I could read on the capacitors is "CE NHG".
Clean your glasses, that's a 3Y, not a CY (unless they're counterfeiting the entire power supply now).

The CE means it can be sold in what was once the European Common Market.

The NHG is a capacitor series made by Panasonic, so it looks like someone might have done some replacing already, but the NHGs are apparently general purpose capacitors and not the Low ESR types that really should be used, so they may already be failing.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #33
ac3dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Clean your glasses, that's a 3Y, not a CY (unless they're counterfeiting the entire power supply now).
Strange typo. I know it's 3Y, as it's clearly written on the board, but I must have been thinking about the "C" in CE when I typed CY.

Anyway, I contacted Weaknees and got the RMA number, so it's going back tomorrow. If their next replacement still doesn't solve the problem, I'm not spending any more on it, and this could mean the end of my TiVo days. Now that I've ditched cable and am relying only on antenna and clear QAM, other less expensive options look a lot more viable.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #34
squint

Dang, I got my threads crossed and thought we were talking about a model 652160. 648250Bs only have one type of power supply which is made by 3Y.

Is this a lifetime unit? If not, you probably already spent too much time and money on it already.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #35
ac3dd

Yes it has lifetime which I got for it back in late 2006 or early 2007. Without that, I wouldn't be trying so desperately to get it ticking again.