TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #1801
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
No
Thanks!
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #1802
duckman2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_0673 View Post
I am planning to follow the good advice here and upgrade to the
WD AV-GP WD20EURX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive. But while I was on Newegg looking at the drive they suggested a newer version made for 24/7.

WD Purple WD20PURX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236661
Any thoughts on this as one?
Dan
WD seems to be saying the Purple drive are optimized for Surveillance systems and are NOT the right choice for DVRs.

Regarding WD Purple drives for Tivo or DVR applications, this was asked in the WD Forum and a WD Staff member said this:

" The WD Purple drives are for surveillance systems.
You can see more information on the link below:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/surveillance/

The line suitable for DVR's is the following:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=170 "
duckman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:57 AM   #1803
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman2000 View Post
WD seems to be saying the Purple drive are optimized for Surveillance systems and are NOT the right choice for DVRs.

Regarding WD Purple drives for Tivo or DVR applications, this was asked in the WD Forum and a WD Staff member said this:

As noted in one or more of my past posts, I came to the same initial impression.

I feel it is worth noting that the AV-GP line, as originally marketed, did not include PVR/DVR use, only surveillance (It was added, not that long ago).

One thing the AV-GP was never marketed for was NAS and/or array use, which the "Purple" is heavily marketed for.

The numbers that truly matter are how many TB/year the drives are supposed to handle. I did the math on "unofficial" 120-150TB/yr RED NAS, and came up with "in excess of the rating", for four tuners at a modest 5TB/hr per tuner for high def. Even the published drives are rated lower than what a 4 tuner unit recording HD comes out to (~200 TB/yr). Do the math on six tuners.

From AnandTech:

"We had covered the launch of the WD Se hard drives for data centers and high end NAS units in May. One of the advertised aspects was the 180 TB/yr workload capacity. Western Digital is unable to commit to a workload capacity for the WD Red lineup because of the varying environmental conditions under which consumer NAS units operate. That said, WD expects (unofficially) the Red drives to be able to handle workloads between 120 and 150 TB/year."

Whole article": http://www.anandtech.com/show/7257/w...nd-25-versions

I'm seriously wondering how underrated a stock 500GB 4-tuner roamio AV hard drive is (IMHO, must be). The smaller the drive, the more each sector is overwritten per year, logically lowering the TB/yr rating, TTBOMK.

I'm also seriously wondering how well plain Green, non-AV, non 24/7 marketed drives will hold up.

It also would seem like (to me) one of the best ways to determine the true life (in P/E operations) of SSDs (Solid State Drives), is to put them into TiVos and see how long each one lasts, then do some math.

From now on, I'll be trying to keep idle tuners on SD music channels. A 4hr recording of one comes out to less than 600MB (yes, MB) total size.

If TiVo provided a way to stop live buffering, preferably with a way to specify how many tuners to allow to live buffer, I'd jump on it...

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-22-2014 at 02:37 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #1804
FitzAusTex

I know this is going to be a silly question, but when we swap out a Roamio hard drive that has already gone through guided setup and that already has season passes, a populated to-do list, etc, with a brand new hard drive, our Roamios lose all settings and season passes? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #1805
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
I know this is going to be a silly question, but when we swap out a Roamio hard drive that has already gone through guided setup and that already has season passes, a populated to-do list, etc, with a brand new hard drive, our Roamios lose all settings and season passes? Thanks!
Yes. That info is stored on the original drive. But, I think you can get your season passes from the Tivo website. I'm not sure about the settings.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #1806
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
Yes. That info is stored on the original drive. But, I think you can get your season passes from the Tivo website. I'm not sure about the settings.
thanks!

Now I'm wondering if we took the hard drive out of a Roamio that has recordings, settings, season passes, etc, if we put it in a different Roamio, would that new Roamio overwrite this hard drive, or would all of the tivo data be maintained?
Old 06-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #1807
ncbill

Anyone still interested in dropping a SSD in there?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electr.../dp/B00E3W16OU
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #1808
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
thanks!

Now I'm wondering if we took the hard drive out of a Roamio that has recordings, settings, season passes, etc, if we put it in a different Roamio, would that new Roamio overwrite this hard drive, or would all of the tivo data be maintained?
The data and recordings are set for a specific Tivo so it would return an error and cannot record. Tivo Service number would return all ZEROs. Clear and Delete Everything must be used to fix it.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #1809
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman2000 View Post

In my experience one can use any drive except the ones over 7200RPM, the best is any 5400RPM drive, (or green drive) and any color will work for a TiVo, its all about marking and hard drive warranty, most people will get, on the low end, 4 to 5 years on a drive and some people have reported getting up to 7 years or more. I have an old Series 2 from 2005 that I stopped using in 2011, it still works and has over 6 years on a upgraded PATA drive made in 2005, newer drives are better.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #1810
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
The numbers that truly matter are how many TB/year the drives are supposed to handle. I did the math on "unofficial" 120-150TB/yr RED NAS, and came up with "in excess of the rating", for four tuners at a modest 5TB/hr per tuner for high def. Even the published drives are rated lower than what a 4 tuner unit recording HD comes out to (~200 TB/yr). Do the math on six tuners.

<snip>

From now on, I'll be trying to keep idle tuners on SD music channels. A 4hr recording of one comes out to less than 600MB (yes, MB) total size.

If TiVo provided a way to stop live buffering, preferably with a way to specify how many tuners to allow to live buffer, I'd jump on it...
As usual, massive OCD overthink going on here. As lessd said, any 5400rpm drive will work and they are all equally as random as to when one will fail in the life of a Tivo.

Seriously, ignore all the kvetching about drive types here folks. Get any green drive you want and plop it in.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #1811
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Anyone still interested in dropping a SSD in there?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electr.../dp/B00E3W16OU
While the EVO is supposed to be rated for very long life, with the 1TB version writing 50 GB a day is supposed to give it a 32 year life. My Roamio Pro probably writes around 700GB a day based on 5GBs an hour for each of six tuners. Since it is constantly writing data for every tuner. An SSD will not last long enough under the conditions of a DVR. I know I certainly would not want to rely on it. Especially since there are not any benefits(other than noise or heat) in a DVR using an SSD instead of a platter drive. A TiVo has been designed with a platter drive in mind.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #1812
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
As usual, massive OCD overthink going on here. As lessd said, any 5400rpm drive will work and they are all equally as random as to when one will fail in the life of a Tivo.

Seriously, ignore all the kvetching about drive types here folks. Get any green drive you want and plop it in.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #1813
Adam1115
20,000!!!

I'm a little surprised that the Romaio only has a 500 gig drive, but I can just run down the Microcenter and pick up a 2 TB and drop it in and it will work? Should I complete the guided setup first?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #1814
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
I'm a little surprised that the Romaio only has a 500 gig drive, but I can just run down the Microcenter and pick up a 2 TB and drop it in and it will work? Should I complete the guided setup first?
No.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #1815
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
No.
No it won't work?? Why not? I've been reading the thread, I thought you dint née to image it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #1816
HarperVision

Quote:
No it won't work?? Why not? I've been reading the thread, I thought you dint née to image it.
He's answering the "should I run guided setup" part, not the "can I just drop it in" part.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #1817
lpwcomp

Quote:
Sorry, I was answering the second question. You shouldn't complete guided setup first.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #1818
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Ok cool. Bought a 2 TB Seagate (after reading all of the WD drama...)

Old 06-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #1819
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Well so much for that idea... The Romaio wouldn't power up with the new drive. (Would turn on and as soon as the hard drive tried to spin up it'd reboot.)

Guess I'm doing esata.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #1820
L David Matheny

Quote:
Well so much for that idea... The Romaio wouldn't power up with the new drive. (Would turn on and as soon as the hard drive tried to spin up it'd reboot.)

Guess I'm doing esata.
Is it possible that your Seagate drive required too much start-up current? One reason for using AV drives is lower power draw, which also throws off less heat.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #1821
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:

Guess I'm doing esata.
Did you test the new HDD with any Diagnostic Utilities prior to putting it into the Roamio?

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #1822
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Is it possible that your Seagate drive required too much start-up current? One reason for using AV drives is lower power draw, which also throws off less heat.
I'm certain that is it, but Microcenter didn't have any av drives. It's no big deal I'll just use esata.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #1823
lessd

Quote:

Guess I'm doing esata.
Are you sure the drive was blank, not per formatted for windows or anything.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #1824
telemark

Quote:
(Would turn on and as soon as the hard drive tried to spin up it'd reboot.)

Guess I'm doing esata.
My predictions:
Roamios will erase any drive that is put in, except Roamio formatted drives
Overdemand (drive not spinning up) conditions have so far resulted in hangs, instead of reboots.
The eSata port can not be used as a primary drive. You'd have to connect a drive to the internal Sata port first.

Last edited by telemark : 06-24-2014 at 09:17 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #1825
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Yes but it doesn't even spin up. It starts to and the box reboots immediately.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:04 AM   #1826
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I did this with my Roamio Plus. 3TB green drive directly out of a Windows box (NTFS partitions) into the Plus. It just worked.

Another 3TB drive was on its way to my house, but I wanted to get the new Tivo going ASAP.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #1827
ncbill

pay a little more and order a 3TB WD AV-GP drive online.

Quote:
Yes but it doesn't even spin up. It starts to and the box reboots immediately.

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #1828
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
pay a little more and order a 3TB WD AV-GP drive online.
I agree. The minor difference in price buys you a 3 year warranty, instead of 2 year for non-AV, when it comes to WD. If you want to buy Seagate, I still recommend the AV drive, which likely also has a longer warranty, and a better power profile.

My tune was a little different before the price differences became so marginal.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #1829
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Minor difference is driving accross town, returning it, ordering it online, waiting 2-3 days, repairing the cablecards.

Not worth it, I'm fine with esata.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #1830
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
My predictions:
Roamios will erase any drive that is put in, except Roamio formatted drives
Overdemand (drive not spinning up) conditions result in hangs instead of reboots
The eSata port can not be used as a primary drive. You'd have to connect a drive to the internal Sata port first.
If I intend to use a previously Roamio-formatted 3TB WD30EURX drive I had used in a now defective Roamio, do I need to do anything special to use it in another Roamio?

I performed "Clear and Delete Everything", but is that enough, or will the new Roamio still see previous Roamio info on the WD30EURX and it not work properly? I've transfered service to the new Roamio, but 19 hours later, and countless forced connections to the Tivo service, and activation is still not complete.

Wondering if the fact that the WD30EURX had been in another Roamio is causing the activation issue?

EDIT: well I put in the 500gb that came with the Roamio, ran guided setup, and the Roamio is fine, but when I put back in the WD30EURX, I'm back to "please activate service".

Any input regarding this would be fantastic.

Last edited by FitzAusTex : 06-24-2014 at 05:05 PM.