TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #6061
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis89 View Post
You can save money if you get something like a roku. $99 I think, and you have access to the TWC app. You can watch all free OnDemand content through there and it costs nothing per month, no equipment rental fees.

You're right, there is no FF (there is rewind though, and I can pause) which sort of sucks but I'm glad I don't have to pay for a cable box in order to get the content.
That's a shame on me there. Another BB community I visit daily is made up of people who work or used to work together. There is one member who has been advocating such a thing for months. This was also the cover story on the most recent issue of Consumer Reports.

The person above has several services, some free and some with fees such as Netflix, Vimeo and another service I used free for one month during the phony TW vs. CBS dispute last year. He claims he can get just about everything on cable for a fraction of the price.

It sounds like a lot of work and confusing programming so I haven't looked into it at all. Just now I took a look at Vimeo and saw a price of $199, way higher than cable. Then I realized it was $199 per year. Really wish I knew more about this and how it works.

For instance, does your setup allow you to record shows to Tivo?

Had to come back and add this. I would never opt for anything that would eliminate Tivo. If Tivo were to disappear tomorrow I think I would throw out my TV set and stop watching altogether.

Last edited by Tivo II Jack : 06-20-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #6062
wtherrell

Quote:
You can save money if you get something like a roku. $99 I think, and you have access to the TWC app. You can watch all free OnDemand content through there and it costs nothing per month, no equipment rental fees.

I love OnDemand and this is what I use to watch OnDemand content now that I got rid of my box and got a Tivo.

You're right, there is no FF (there is rewind though, and I can pause) which sort of sucks but I'm glad I don't have to pay for a cable box in order to get the content.
+10 on the Roku TWC on demand. No closed captions on the Roku TWC OD like there is on the PC version, tho.
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #6063
artemis89

Tivo Jack,

There is no fee associated with a Roku, just the upfront cost, about $99. I use mine to stream Netflix ($7.99 a month, which I've had for years) and Crackle movies (free) and then when TWC added their app to it, I used it to access channels and OnDemand content at no extra charge.

I use my Tivo to access my channels and record my shows onto it for later viewing. TWC app isn't for recording, just for OnDemand content and watching live shows.

I really like my setup. I don't find Roku that confusing.
artemis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #6064
hytekjosh

Quote:
Tivo Jack,

There is no fee associated with a Roku, just the upfront cost, about $99. I use mine to stream Netflix ($7.99 a month, which I've had for years) and Crackle movies (free) and then when TWC added their app to it, I used it to access channels and OnDemand content at no extra charge.

I use my Tivo to access my channels and record my shows onto it for later viewing. TWC app isn't for recording, just for OnDemand content and watching live shows.

I think the Roku 1 was just for sale on Woot or some similar site for $29 for a refurb unit. I use a Roku 3 for TWC on-demand, HBO, SHO, Amazon, etc, and its pretty good. I wish Tivo had this all built-in though.
hytekjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #6065
artemis89

Yeah my Tivo has built-in Netflix but I never use it. I have a series3 HD one and the Netflix interface is awful, slow and clunky. I just use my Roku for all things streaming and use my Tivo for Live TV and recording/watching only.
artemis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #6066
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Tivo Jack,

I appreciate all the responses and suggestions here, but I need to do some research because I am still finding all this confusing. One said there is no cc on Roku and that is a deal breaker for me.

I also do not want to watch ANYTHING live or that I haven't recorded, I am totally spoiled by Tivo and the great capabilities it gives us.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #6067
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
I appreciate all the responses and suggestions here, but I need to do some research because I am still finding all this confusing. One said there is no cc on Roku and that is a deal breaker for me.

I also do not want to watch ANYTHING live or that I haven't recorded, I am totally spoiled by Tivo and the great capabilities it gives us.
No cc just on TWC app. Netflix, Hulu +, others, have subtitles or captions just fine.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:37 PM   #6068
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
No cc just on TWC app. Netflix, Hulu +, others, have subtitles or captions just fine.
OK, I decided to dive in and start with TW App. I went to Google play and installed the TW App. Prior to installing it indicated that it was going to install to my Galaxy S4 phone.

I am assuming I also have to install it on my computers, but when I go back the the installer it just says Installed with no option to install on another device.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #6069
randymac88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsc77 View Post
I fixed my issue of getting SD channels on channels 1-99. After realizing that my TWC box was working I narrowed the issue down to the TA or the cable card. I did a little digging and found that my cable technician had improperly installed my TA.
Getting back to the original issue at hand, I was actually able to fix my SD-only issue on 2,4,7 etc. It was indeed related to the tuning adapter. I had the USB cable installed, but by restarting it, flipping the power button on and off a few times, having TiVo tell me that there was no tuner installed, and then toggling the TA so TiVo finally saw it, the TiVo spontaneously restarted. When it came back, I had all my HBO channels available. No call necessary.

I don't really know what I did, but messing around with the TA seemed to do the trick. Hope that's at least moderately helpful to a few on here.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #6070
randymac88

Quote:
I fixed my issue of getting SD channels on channels 1-99. After realizing that my TWC box was working I narrowed the issue down to the TA or the cable card. I did a little digging and found that my cable technician had improperly installed my TA.
Getting back to the original issue at hand, I was actually able to fix my SD-only issue on 2,4,7 etc. It was indeed related to the tuning adapter. I had the USB cable installed, but by restarting it, flipping the power button on and off a few times, having TiVo tell me that there was no tuner installed, and then toggling the TA so TiVo finally saw it, the TiVo spontaneously restarted. When it came back, I had all my HBO channels available. No call necessary.

I don't really know what I did, but messing around with the TA seemed to do the trick. Hope that's at least moderately helpful to a few on here.
randymac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #6071
bsc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymac88 View Post

That's great news. If Tivo told you there was no tuning adapter connected it was definitely an issue with your USB connection. The USB connection is the only way that Tivo recognizes that a TA is installed.
bsc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #6072
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
OK, I decided to dive in and start with TW App. I went to Google play and installed the TW App. Prior to installing it indicated that it was going to install to my Galaxy S4 phone.

I am assuming I also have to install it on my computers, but when I go back the the installer it just says Installed with no option to install on another device.
OK, sorry about changing the subject here but discussions will always drift in any community. Once something related comes up, it is human nature to begin discussing that also.

I would still like to know more about these various apps for watching on demand and other things on devices. I installed the TW app from my computer, but it installed itself on my phone and I can't find any way to get it to install on any other device such as my computers and I would sleep in a barrel of broken glass before watching ANY TV on a phone screen.

Again, sorry for changing the subject but the people who seem to have the answers are right here in this string. If you can tell me where, I will gladly drop this and relocate to another more appropriate string. In my quest for info, I now see the networks also have apps for watching their programs on devices and since TW treats Tivo users like red headed step children and denies us access to On Demand (WHICH WE PAY FOR), I would like more info.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #6073
cwoody222

The TWC app is only available for mobile devices, not computers.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #6074
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
Re TW...DUH! That's on me, not you, but what about other apps for getting on demand on computers. It looks like each network has their own.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #6075
wtherrell

Quote:
Wrong! I have it on my computer. The computer version has closed captions available.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #6076
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Wrong! I have it on my computer. The computer version has closed captions available.
OK, how do I do that? As said, when I downloaded the app from my computer it was installed on my Galaxy 4S and when I return to the download site on my computer I get the message 'already installed.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #6077
wtherrell

Quote:
OK, how do I do that? As said, when I downloaded the app from my computer it was installed on my Galaxy 4S and when I return to the download site on my computer I get the message 'already installed.
I believe that I found it on the TWC website. You sign in through your browser. They verify your account information and then they give you access to all the OD content. So it's not an app but a website. You stream it to your PC. If I get time tomorrow I will see if I can look up the URL and post it if you have not found it by then.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:59 AM   #6078
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
I believe that I found it on the TWC website. You sign in through your browser. They verify your account information and then they give you access to all the OD content. So it's not an app but a website. You stream it to your PC. If I get time tomorrow I will see if I can look up the URL and post it if you have not found it by then.
I think I found it and if so it is as useless as TW is in general.

http://www.twcondemand.com/

I went to ABC and looked for a show at random, it wasn't listed. I then did a search for it and the search results showed RESULTS - 0. It is a show currently running on ABC.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:16 AM   #6079
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
That's great news. If Tivo told you there was no tuning adapter connected it was definitely an issue with your USB connection. The USB connection is the only way that Tivo recognizes that a TA is installed.
I wonder where you got that correct information from...

It can also be anything that causes the internal operation of the USB port on the TiVo or the TA to simply not acknowledge or respond.

I've had my TAs go into states where the TiVo logs show the TA is not responding to the USB serial link, and there was absolutely no issue with the USB cable, or the connections. The TA just needed to be power cycled (via the power cord) in this case. I've also had the cableco check my TA, and the TA reported fully operational, but that the USB serial link was down. Again, no issues with the cable, or the connections. In this case the TiVo needed to be rebooted.

Sometimes it's just a matter of unplugging the USB cable for a while, then plugging it back in to re-establish communication.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:13 AM   #6080
bsc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I wonder where you got that correct information from...

It can also be anything that causes the internal operation of the USB port on the TiVo or the TA to simply not acknowledge or respond.

I've had my TAs go into states where the TiVo logs show the TA is not responding to the USB serial link, and there was absolutely no issue with the USB cable, or the connections. The TA just needed to be power cycled (via the power cord) in this case. I've also had the cableco check my TA, and the TA reported fully operational, but that the USB serial link was down. Again, no issues with the cable, or the connections. In this case the TiVo needed to be rebooted.

Sometimes it's just a matter of unplugging the USB cable for a while, then plugging it back in to re-establish communication.
LOL, if there were reputation points on here I'd give them to you.

I wish that the Series3 had some kind of error message such indicating there was not tuning adapter attached. Before I had the cable installed when I went to the tuning adapter setting in "setting" it said something to the effect of "a tuning adapter is a piece of hardware provided by your cable company", it didn't say anything like "there is no tuning adapter installed" or anything else. In other words it should be very obvious that a TA is present or not in that menu, but there haven't been any software updates or enhancements to Series3 boxes.
bsc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #6081
jcmoor1

How well do HD Tivos work with Time Warner?

I tried about 3 years ago to get Time Warner to setup a cable card with my HD TV and it was a total disaster. I think it was one of the first generation cable cards and the techs did not know anything about them and the support was basically non-existent so I just gave up. I have been using Direct TV with their Tivo box for the past couple of years and been happy but they price is going up and I am considering switching back to TW. The plan would be to get a Tivo Premiere or one of the other HD Tivos (probably on Ebay). I know I would also need a tuning adapter. I have looked at TW support and see that they apparently now even allow self installation for cable cards. I am trying to decide whether to give TW another chance if I can get some idea that they have finally figured out how to support card devices. My questions for somebody who has experience:
Do the Tivo HD boxes work with TW and their tuning adapters? Is their support any good if there are issues? Are there any recommendations for a particular Tivo HD unit that is preferred with TW, or is there any differene in how they work? Any advice in how to proceed would be appreciated.
jcmoor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #6082
whiteshaft

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmoor1 View Post
Do the Tivo HD boxes work with TW and their tuning adapters? Is their support any good if there are issues? Are there any recommendations for a particular Tivo HD unit that is preferred with TW, or is there any differene in how they work? Any advice in how to proceed would be appreciated.
I too went through the pain of early cable card adoption and TWC. Back when I got my TivoHD they had to send out a tech (they wouldn't just mail me the cards) and it took two visits and several cards before they succeeded (half of the cards seemed defective). Later I added the tuning adapter which would periodically lose sync and drove me up the wall.

I just self-installed a Roamio Plus and I will say that the process was much easier this time around. TWC has a cable store fairly close by where I was able to trade in the old cards and get a new multi stream card (M-Card), and other than the drive and the long, DMV-like wait it was way better than waiting on a tech (they did offer to mail the card but I couldn't wait). I plugged it into the Roamio, called the number (for the record, the Cable Card department is the ONLY TWC dept. that has their **** together, IMHO) and boom, done. I plugged in the old tuning adapter and it synced right away, much quicker than with the older unit. And that's my only caveat -- if you're installing an older TiVo model then YMMV and I can't predict how well the TW gear will work with it. But with the Roamio Plus it went surprisingly smooth.
whiteshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #6083
cwoody222

Aside from any TWC issues (there shouldn't be any), I wouldn't recommend a TiVo HD. They're too old.

Don't go older than a Premiere (what I have).

Although I had a Series3 (OLED version) with CC and a Tuning Adapter and it worked.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #6084
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshaft View Post
I plugged it into the Roamio, called the number (for the record, the Cable Card department is the ONLY TWC dept. that has their **** together, IMHO) and boom, done.
I agree with your comment 110%
Old 07-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #6085
Teeps

Quote:
The plan would be to get a Tivo Premiere or one of the other HD Tivos (probably on Ebay).
I know I would also need a tuning adapter.
Each TiVo will need its own tuning adapter and multi stream cable card.

Quote:
My questions for somebody who has experience:
Do the Tivo HD boxes work with TW and their tuning adapters?
Is their support any good if there are issues?
TiVo hd should work fine with tw systems.

As of late I have had good experience with service support from tw.
cable card national support number
866-532-2598
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #6086
jcmoor1

Thanks so much; I feel better about giving TW a try again!
jcmoor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #6087
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Thanks so much; I feel better about giving TW a try again!
Don't get carried away here, the only good thing about TW is the people who do tech support for setting up cable cards are excellent, everything else about TW SUCKS. You would be better off calling your grandmother than TW tech support. Their answer for everything is to set up an appointment for one of their "geniuses" to come to your home.

I have had TW since 1987 and the only time one of their employees was EVER in my home was the day the cable was installed 27 years ago. They have attempted to get me to set an appointment to "fix" my problems at least 100 times over the years. I have refused every single time and yet, every single problem miraculously "cured" itself which means the problems were ALL on their end and not with my equipment.

I firmly believe that the high prices for cable are due to them having zero competition for over a quarter of a century. Their mini-monopolies due to the entire country being divided into zones wherein each zone only has access to one cable company is the only thing enabling these crooks.

That is changing today. I own a Co-Op in an 84 unit building and it has just been wired for FIOS. As soon as FIOS is available I will try it and most likely tell TW to take a walk.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #6088
rich
Final answer?

The folks at the TWC CableCard number were polite and efficient when I called a couple of weeks ago. Totally unlike the rest of TWC.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #6089
cwoody222

The CableCARD folks are located right around the corner from me

When I call, we can chat about the weather.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #6090
cosmo4u
c

Quote:
I am in Buffalo and I can confirm how it's supposed to work here and how it does work here is that you will get the HD version of any channel - if it exists - no matter what you tune to.

If I go to any channel below 99 that has an HD "duplicate" on a higher channel, I still see HD.

I can view HD of my local networks on 2, 4, 7 or 1202, 1204 or 1207.
Just had the channel change last night here in ulster NY.
Have all channels in HD so maybe there is hope for all.

I do have a TA and Cable Card...not sure if that makes a difference
cosmo4u is offline   Reply With Quote