TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Johncv

Court rejects Viacom's bid to throw out Cablevision bundling suit

Court rejects Viacom's bid to throw out Cablevision bundling suit

Read more: Court rejects Viacom's bid to throw out Cablevision bundling suit - FierceCable http://www.fiercecable.com/story/cou...#ixzz35VYlwhot
Subscribe at FierceCable

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

I doubt anything is going to come of this, except maybe higher prices or missing channels for CableVision subscribers.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
AdamNJ

I find irony in this statement
Quote:
Cablevision, meanwhile, responded with the following statement: "We continue to believe that Viacom's tying of its popular networks to carriage of its lesser-watched ancillary networks is illegal, anti-consumer, and wrong," it said.
Cablevision has a problem with Viacom bundling channels, yet Cablevision has no problem bundling channels in packages to it's customers (not offering a-la-carte).

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Diana Collins

Before the cable or satellite companies could sell a la carte, they have to be able to buy a la carte.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is some advantage to bundling. Bundling allows new channels to gain a foothold that they may never have the opportunity to get otherwise. I know most of the bundled channels are crap, but there are some channels we consider indispensable today that only got off the ground because they were bundled with more popular channels 10-15 years ago.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There is some advantage to bundling. Bundling allows new channels to gain a foothold that they may never have the opportunity to get otherwise. I know most of the bundled channels are crap, but there are some channels we consider indispensable today that only got off the ground because they were bundled with more popular channels 10-15 years ago.
We need to let the market decide, and weed out most of the crap that's out there. There are WAY too many junk channels. There's not enough bandwidth for them all, and there is just garbage on most of them.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
We need to let the market decide, and weed out most of the crap that's out there. There are WAY too many junk channels. There's not enough bandwidth for them all, and there is just garbage on most of them.
Word!
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #8
Johncv

Quote:
One man junk is another man's treasure.

HDTiVo
Old 07-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
spaldingclan

but how will I watch my storys?
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
aridon

All fun and games when the popular crap is all that is left and all the high brow people wonder where their niche channels went.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
And there would be a bunch of sports channels that would be dropped if people had to actually pay for them without being subsidized by the majority of subscribers. I would love to get rid of many of these sports channels that I don't watch, yet I have no choice but to pay for.

Especially since I just got hit with a stupid regional sports Network fee when I renewed my FiOS contract last week. It was something like $2.50 extra on the bill. For channels that I rarely, if ever, watch. I would rather save that money and not watch them at all. Even though I really don't even know for sure which channels this money goes toward.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And there would be a bunch of sports channels that would be dropped if people had to actually pay for them without being subsidized by the majority of subscribers. I would love to get rid of many of these sports channels that I don't watch, yet I have no choice but to pay for.

Especially since I just got hit with a stupid regional sports Network fee when I renewed my FiOS contract last week. It was something like $2.50 extra on the bill. For channels that I rarely, if ever, watch. I would rather save that money and not watch them at all. Even though I really don't even know for sure which channels this money goes toward.
Regional sports, so it go to local sports games in your area.

HDTiVo
Old 07-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The sports channels would be the last to go. They have quite a following, including ESPN. It might force them to de-bloat a bit, and get the college conference contracts out of the stratosphere, but they would still be around...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote