TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
RusRus

Transferring Recordings from HD DVR to Roamio

Tomorrow I get my new Roamio Basic. I already have an HD DVR and I want to transfer recorded shows from the HD DVR to the Roamio.

I only have one Ethernet cable long enough to run to my Tivo so I can't hook both my HD DVR and Roamio to the Internet from my TV stand.

I only have one Ethernet cable going to my TV so I’ll have to plug in my HD DVR to a power outlet and Ethernet connection and place it under my computer.

I’ll use the Ethernet cable from my router to my new Roamio sitting under the TV.

So here’s the picture:

1. New Roamio hooked up to TV and Tivo Ethernet service and OTA antenna.
2. Old HD DVR plugged into power outlet and a spare Ethernet port on my router and placed away from my TV and under my computer desk.

Can I transfer all my recordings from my HD DVR to my new Roamio through the Roamio menu?

I hope I’ve done an adequate explanation of my dilemma.
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Yes. When you have more than one Tivo on your account and connected on your network, the other tivo(s) appear at the bottom of the bottom of the "Now Playing" list. The Roamio, nor the HD will care if the HD is connected to a display or not.

Just click on it, click on any show, and as long as your cable co hasnt set the no-copy bit on that particular channel, transfer is an option. You can cue em up...

Some companies set it on no channels, some set it on "premium" channels (hbo, etc), some set it on all but broadcast channels, and some set it on all channels.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #3
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Yes. When you have more than one Tivo on your account and connected on your network, the other tivo(s) appear at the bottom of the bottom of the "Now Playing" list. The Roamio, nor the HD will care if the HD is connected to a display or not.

Just click on it, click on any show, and as long as your cable co hasnt set the no-copy bit on that particular channel, transfer is an option. You can cue em up...

Some companies set it on no channels, some set it on "premium" channels (hbo, etc), some set it on all but broadcast channels, and some set it on all channels.
Since I have OTA only I should be good to go once my Roamio is activated, right???
Old 06-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
Since I have OTA only I should be good to go once my Roamio is activated, right???
It may take an extra day for all the boxes to recognize each other, so be patient if it doesn't show up immediately after setup. All the boxes have to contact the TiVo service to be told they are allowed to talk with each other. You can speed things up a bit by forcing connections. With your HD being operated headlessly you won't be able to see a screen to get to the menu to force it to connect. So just allow it to go overnight.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:46 AM   #5
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
It may take an extra day for all the boxes to recognize each other, so be patient if it doesn't show up immediately after setup. All the boxes have to contact the TiVo service to be told they are allowed to talk with each other. You can speed things up a bit by forcing connections. With your HD being operated headlessly you won't be able to see a screen to get to the menu to force it to connect. So just allow it to go overnight.
As I expected. Thanks, I appreciate your response.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I had my Roamio connected and transferring from my S3HD within about 6 hours. It took so long until I figured out that the other Tivos had to also connect to the Tivo service.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote