TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 AM   #1
Vicpdx192

Xfinity Ondemand question?

I was wondering and hope someone knows, does Xfinity On-demand on tivo use the internet for content or does it pull all the stuff from the same place Comcast's STB's get it from and use a tuner to do that??
Vicpdx192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:51 AM   #2
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

It uses internet to order the video, play/pause/rewind, but the video itsel comes from a tuner.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
Vicpdx192

oh ok so I should expect extra data usage correct?
Old 06-22-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
DigitalDawn

Not much, though.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicpdx192 View Post
oh ok so I should expect extra data usage correct?
No, it doesn't count against your data for the video itself. It's only sending minuscule information to Comcast to let the system know to start a video, pause it, etc.

I think the previews go over the internet. The video is like watching any other tuned channel. If you pause it for a few minutes, Comcast will release the tuner (to allow someone else to use it) and you'll have to go to the main XOD menu and choose your video under the "saved on demand" folder. You can pick up where you left off there.

If your internet goes out while watching a show, you'll be unable to pause, rewind, etc. but the show will keep playing. I found this out while working on my router while the wife was watching a show.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
CharlesH

With Comcast set-top boxes, the control information is sent back up the cable to Comcast VOD controller. Since TiVo boxes don't have the hardware to do this, the Comcast VOD app running on the TiVo sends the control information over the TiVo's Internet connection to the VOD controller. The Internet connection doesn't have to be Comcast Internet service. In either case, a digital cable channel is allocated to your request and the video is sent over that digital channel to your TiVo, the only difference being how the control information is transmitted.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:16 AM   #7
Vicpdx192

ah ok cool! thanks everyone for your help!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #8
JZC

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
If your internet goes out while watching a show, you'll be unable to pause, rewind, etc. but the show will keep playing. I found this out while working on my router while the wife was watching a show.
I was watching a show on-demand the other day and when my internet dropped out, the show froze and dropped back to the main Tivo interface. I could not get back into the on-demand menus until my internet came back online.
JZC is offline   Reply With Quote