TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
awilson8

TCD758250 stuck in boot loop

Original hard drive died. Imaged a new drive with downloaded image using DvrBARS. Reboot every 8 seconds or so. Any advice other than call TiVo and try out-of-warranty replacement?
awilson8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
ggieseke

What size and model is the drive and how was it hooked up during the restore operation?

Did you run the manufacturers diagnostics on the drive?

If you hook the drive back up to your computer, can you make a truncated backup of it using DvrBARS?

A quick boot loop like that happens if the drive is blank, corrupt, etc. I mistakenly put a 1TB Roamio drive in my XL about a week ago and got the same thing. It also happens if the drive isn't connected properly.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
awilson8

I didn't try to back up the existing drive, just did a restore of a known good image with DvrBARS to a 3TB Seagate SV35 (ST3000VX000) drive. Tried it twice. The first time I tried to do the procedure in the DIY 4 TB Premiere thread, with that image as the source and the drive as the target. Didn't work. Loaded up in DvrBARS and did a full restore from clean image to the drive, no attempt to expand to take all 3 TB.

Both times, the drive was attached to a SATA port on the motherboard of a Windows 8.1 machine.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilson8 View Post
I didn't try to back up the existing drive, just did a restore of a known good image with DvrBARS to a 3TB Seagate SV35 (ST3000VX000) drive. Tried it twice. The first time I tried to do the procedure in the DIY 4 TB Premiere thread, with that image as the source and the drive as the target. Didn't work. Loaded up in DvrBARS and did a full restore from clean image to the drive, no attempt to expand to take all 3 TB.

Both times, the drive was attached to a SATA port on the motherboard of a Windows 8.1 machine.
That's what I was afraid of. My 758250 image is from a factory "virgin" drive running 14.5, and TiVos didn't support any drives over 2TB at all until they got up to somewhere around 20.3.8 (maybe 20.3.7). They would just boot loop.

If you can beg, borrow or steal a 2TB drive it will work when you restore the factory image with DvrBARS. As soon as it updates to the latest software you can pull it out, back it up again with DvrBARS, and restore the new backup to the 3TB drive. At that point you an follow jmbach's procedure to expand it the rest of the way.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
awilson8

That makes me feel much better.

I have a 2 TB drive I can use... but it's full of data that I'll have to move over to my NAS. Just to be clear: I can use the quick restore in DvrBARS, as I'm not keeping any recordings, right?
Old 06-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
ggieseke

You can ALWAYS use the quick restore method unless you're feeling OCD and want to zero out the sectors that aren't in use by TiVo data, whether the image came from a Full, Modified or Truncated backup.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
That's what I was afraid of. My 758250 image is from a factory "virgin" drive running 14.5, and TiVos didn't support any drives over 2TB at all until they got up to somewhere around 20.3.8 (maybe 20.3.7). They would just boot loop.

If you can beg, borrow or steal a 2TB drive it will work when you restore the factory image with DvrBARS. As soon as it updates to the latest software you can pull it out, back it up again with DvrBARS, and restore the new backup to the 3TB drive. At that point you an follow jmbach's procedure to expand it the rest of the way.
So, what would be ideal, is for somebody to get the image updated using my trick of using 00000 zip code, Tiny TiVo as provider (during Guided Setup), run a C&DE on the updated image, pull the plug on the reboot once the C&DE operation has completed, which self-triggers a reboot (preferably before the KS [kickstart] window of opportunity, or before the "almost there" screen at the latest), make a backup of that, and upload it to you for distribution?

Helpful tips & explanations for all:

The 00000 zip code & Tiny TiVo provider trick only downloads one channel worth of empty guide data, keeping the new backup image small as can be, and saves time. A cablecard can be paired in this setup, but the channels can only be tested using "test channels using M-card" via DVR Diagnostics screens. This is just a FYI, for those who may use this trick for the many other uses I've found for it, like purging out corrupted data related to an existing zip and provider's guide data.

The reason for the C&DE with timed power-pull is to stop the drive from becoming married to the TSN of the board it is updated on, eliminating image recipients from having to repeat guided setup twice, with a C&DE between the two, to remove any existing host board TSN-to-drive marriage.

Once the software has reached a certain version number, the second screen of GS, where you select demo/home setup, has a "press enter for advanced options" option, which adds Installer Express mode to the choices, saving a big chunk of time, by only doing the absolute minimum GS needs to, leaving all the little personalized preferences to be set later through the menus.

If you want to see what software version is on a drive that boots into GS, without running it, press Info button on the very first GS screen (Select Country). It's at the bottom of the screen, when displayed.

EDIT/ADD: I had left out it is best that the only things connected, until done, are:

1. Power cord/supply.
2. Ethernet cable (or wireless, if you absolutely can't do RJ45 ethernet).

What absolutely should NOT be connected:
1. Coaxial cable for cable or antenna.

Why: If a video source is available, the TiVo will continuously process and buffer all tuners, making the resulting image larger for every zeroed-sector that is changed to in the process. A C&DE does not re-zero the sectors that get changed. Even though the buffer, per tuner, is 30 minutes, it still moves forward though more sectors for as long as the TiVo is on, and has a coax connection providing cable or antenna connectivity. For the cleanest and smallest backup image, this is a big deal.

I suppose (theoretically) somebody who insists on using MoCA, could just remove the cable/antenna input coax to the MoCA, and just use the coax for networking only.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-22-2014 at 04:27 AM. Reason: added (during Guided Setup) and more notes.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
awilson8

I went and got a Comcast DVR for the weekend so we could watch TV while I fix the TiVo. I'm willing to provide the image. What do I need to do other than C&DE and set zip to 00000 to do the "Tiny TiVo" provider trick?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
telemark

I put a 1TB v14.5 image on a 4TB drive.

It didn't boot, the kernel never builds the device, citing the lack of Large Block Device support.
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/LBD.html

Setting a HPA (Host Protected Area) at 1TB though, it gets past the scanner, mounts all the partitions, and I believe MFS.

Maybe that should be the suggested procedure?

(Image and set HPA)
(Boot in Tivo for updates and testing)
(Reset HPA and Expand)
Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
awilson8

I considered doing that, but I was doing everything under Windows and running the jmfs stuff in a VM with the disks attached. For some reason, hdparm was giving errors in the VM. I could have rebooted to jmfs on a flash drive, done the HPA magic, and then rebooted to Windows to write the image, but I just figured I'd move all the stuff from my 2 TB data drive to my NAS like I should have a long time ago and use the drive that freed up to do the image work.

Anyhoo, if someone wants to host the image, I've got a truncated backup for a TCD758250 running 20.4.1 taken immediately following the C&DE reboot (before it boots up for the first time post-C&DE).
Old 06-22-2014, 04:23 AM   #11
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilson8 View Post
Anyhoo, if someone wants to host the image, I've got a truncated backup for a TCD758250 running 20.4.1 taken immediately following the C&DE reboot (before it boots up for the first time post-C&DE).
I did some editing to my other post, as I had left a few things out, which I'd usually specify.

It sounds like things are moving along just fine. I only have Roamios at this time, making my active involvement limited...

I'd suggest a PM to ggieseke http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...r.php?u=207112 and ask him if he'll be a possible dropbox host.

DVRBARS thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261

Posting direct links to images on TCF is usually not the best approach. It's best to simply say what you have, and say to PM you, in order to get a PM with the link to it. When you spot a request for an image you have, just PM the link, then post only "PM sent" in public (playing it safe).

The forum sponsors, like weaknees, have policed for public image links, in the past.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-22-2014 at 04:31 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
awilson8

We have had an offer to host the image, but my post count is too low to let me reply by PM. So if the generous host would mind PM'ing me his email address, I can pass along the link.