TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2014, 02:10 AM   #1
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Anything NEW on the "Failed while loading series" problem?

I'm looking for any new information about how to fix the "Failed while loading series" problem.

As background, I'm trying to replace a failed disk in a Series 1 Tivo. Here's my first thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=518233 I've given up on using WinMFS because, be it the tool or the image, I just end up with disks that reboot while processing the downloaded data.

So I've move on and pulled out an old Linux computer with images that I have successfully used before for upgrades and/or dead disk replacements. These disks don't crash, but every time they are processing the data they fail with the "Failed while loading series" error.

What's interesting is that since I've started to keep track, they always fail at 46%. That can't be coincidence.

Also, if I do a guided setup, I get the same error while processing the phone number data. I can't get past that step to even get downloading program data.

I've tried this with multiple known good disks.

I've tried this with multiple images (one I've used before).

I've tried this both restoring just the image (so only 20 hours) and expanding to fill the disk.

I've tried all the previously posted "solutions" (some of which I think were more coincidence that actual fixes): reset thumb/suggestions, reset program/to-do, aborting download multiple times, repeat guided setup, clear everything, etc, etc.

I'm simply running out of things to try to get around this. The only theories I have left are pretty ridiculous.

So, does anyone have any ideas or NEW information on this?
Old 06-20-2014, 02:42 AM   #2
unitron

I don't know if this will work on S1s or not, and I've not personally tried it on any TiVo of any age, but check out this technique

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...3#post10143653

and see if putting in 00000 as the ZIP Code will let you get anywhere (and then later you can go back and see if Settings, Channels, Channel List, Enter for wrong list will let you change the ZIP without having to go through all of GS).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
...and see if putting in 00000 as the ZIP Code will let you get anywhere...
I tried that, and setting the area code to 000, to try and get around the first all failing while trying to load that data (phone numbers I assume) during GS.

I tried it again just now, and it still fails. So that disk is now stuck in GS and I'll need to re-image it tomorrow to try whatever is next.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
Fla_Travel

@bkc56,

weaKnees says it is a software issue and they will sell you a hard drive with software that does not have this problem for $99.
Fla_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Fla_Travel

See this link:
http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/2014/06/s...problem-fixed/

There is another post where someone is trying to get a class action suit started:
http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/2014/04/s...oblems-update/
Old 07-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #6
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla_Travel View Post
@bkc56,
weaKnees says it is a software issue and they will sell you a hard drive with software that does not have this problem for $99.
A community minded organization might be a bit less commercial and make the software available to people who can image their own disks while continuing to offer paid services for people unwilling or unable to do it themselves.

I don't believe the solution is as simple as the information at the above linked page implies, but in my original thread I talk about a couple images I've found (one freely available already) that appear to work.

Of course an "official" solution from Tivo would be the best for everyone (well, perhaps, everyone but Weaknees).

But thanks for the info/links.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
Fla_Travel

More info coming. I will send you a PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Fla_Travel

Darn, I need 10 posts before I can send a PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Quote:
You win!!!