TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #1
DB_0673

Roamio, comcast Cable Card Problem

Brand new Roamio basic (2 days old) Paired old cable card from Tivo Hd and worked great for 1 day. Yesterday no channels showing and Roamio says no Cable Card inserted. Tried to reinsert multiple times no luck. Tivo Tech said get new cable card, which I did. Inserted and it showed up. Paired with Comcast but only get 4 network stations (Both in SD or HD) No other channels show up. Multiple calls to Comcast. One tech says they put the info in system and it drops out
Firmware on card updated to correct one when I inserted it
any ideas?? Ever heard of this
New card is Bad or just something at there head end.
Tivo HD worked fine for 5 yrs

What is the number to the Comcast problem solvers, further up the line from the regular Cable Card Pairing number
Thanks
Dan
DB_0673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
lessd

Could be a defected TiVo, does not happen very much but you tried a lot of things except changing out the TiVo itself.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:11 AM   #3
DB_0673

Seems it was a bad card, I contacted ComcastCares via email and got a call back yesterday. Very knowledgeable lady saw an error on the card, I got another card and it paired right away. Now I will see if it will work for more than a couple of days

Dan
Old 06-20-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
HoustonMidtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_0673 View Post
Seems it was a bad card, I contacted ComcastCares via email and got a call back yesterday. Very knowledgeable lady saw an error on the card, I got another card and it paired right away. Now I will see if it will work for more than a couple of days

Dan
Had a similar issue with my Comcast CableCard(s) -- it took 3 bad ones before the tech finally got the 4th one working -- of course they said it was the TiVo's fault the entire time....
HoustonMidtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:01 AM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I just had a issue with a Roamio basic not detecting an inserted cable card and found it had a bad card slot. Not saying this could be the same as the problem you are had but given it was paired, working and suddenly wasn't able to see the inserted card I would say it's a bad cable card slot. Be careful when inserting the card into the slot, but sure it slides freely horizontally and in no circumstances apply any vertical pressure to the card or card slot esp any pressure downwards were the card's pins make contact to the slot connectors.

Be sure the green plastic ejection knob is only moved horizontally, don't be tempted to pry it up when manipulating the card. I urge you to keep a close eye on this as once your Roamio goes past it's 90 days, it won't be a free no charge fee to correct their poorly designed engineering mistake, if you suspect it's bad, I would urge you to insist that Tivo replace it before it's warranty expires. Mine broke a few days over it 3 month warranty and tivo wouldn't budge in offering any grace.

Yes, some cable cards can be difficult to pair but I'm taking the firm position that this different style of card slot in the 4 tuner Roamio is a poor, defective design. I wish I could go into more details but I awaiting Tivo to replace mine under it 1 year warranty coverage which costs $$'s, after I have mine settled, perhaps then I can elaberate more about this. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with the quality of TiVo's newest hardware.....
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #6
DB_0673

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I just had a issue with a Roamio basic not detecting an inserted cable card and found it had a bad card slot. Not saying this could be the same as the problem you are had but given it was paired, working and suddenly wasn't able to see the inserted card I would say it's a bad cable card slot. Be careful when inserting the card into the slot, but sure it slides freely horizontally and in no circumstances apply any vertical pressure to the card or card slot esp any pressure downwards were the card's pins make contact to the slot connectors.

Be sure the green plastic ejection knob is only moved horizontally, don't be tempted to pry it up when manipulating the card. I urge you to keep a close eye on this as once your Roamio goes past it's 90 days, it won't be a free no charge fee to correct their poorly designed engineering mistake, if you suspect it's bad, I would urge you to insist that Tivo replace it before it's warranty expires. Mine broke a few days over it 3 month warranty and tivo wouldn't budge in offering any grace.

Yes, some cable cards can be difficult to pair but I'm taking the firm position that this different style of card slot in the 4 tuner Roamio is a poor, defective design. I wish I could go into more details but I awaiting Tivo to replace mine under it 1 year warranty coverage which costs $$'s, after I have mine settled, perhaps then I can elaberate more about this. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with the quality of TiVo's newest hardware.....
Thanks, so far the new card is working. I will keep an eye on things
Dan