TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
caddyroger

Will the Roamio pro remote turn off a yamaha amp and tv

I have a Yamaha receiver and a sony tv. Can I use the tivo remote to turn on and off a Yamaha receiver and tv? I would like it to control the sound with receiver.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
I have a Yamaha receiver and a sony tv. Can I use the tivo remote to turn on and off a Yamaha receiver and tv? I would like it to control the sound with receiver.
Yes. http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/294
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Can this be set up to turn both on or off at the same time?
Old 06-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
aridon

If you figure it out let me know. I haven't been able to.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
worachj

Yes you can set up your TiVo remote to control your TV and stereo receiver. You need to find the remote codes for your TV and stereo receiver under TiVo's remote setup screens.

Go to the remote setup section under settings.
a) Perform Part 1 to set up control for your TV.
b) Perform Part 2 to set up volume control for your receiver. (Remember the receiver code you just used)
c) Now perform Part 1 again but this time use the code for your receiver that you used in Part 2. It will now set up the on/off power for your stereo receiver.

Your TiVo remote will now toggle on/off of both your TV and stereo receiver at the same time and control the volume & mute for your stereo receiver.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Yes you can set up your TiVo remote to control your TV and stereo receiver. You need to find the remote codes for your TV and stereo receiver under TiVo's remote setup screens.

b) Perform Part 2 to set up volume control for your receiver. (Remember the receiver code you just used)
c) Now perform Part 1 again but this time use the code for your receiver that you used in Part 2. It will now set up the on/off power for your stereo receiver.

Your TiVo remote will now toggle on/off of both your TV and stereo receiver at the same time and control the volume & mute for your stereo receiver.
Thank You, so much for this, it actually does work,

This also worked on my standard peanut remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-17-2014 at 08:58 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
caddyroger

Quote:

I finally got to it to work. I used the wrong code for the receiver.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #8
tonestert

Quote:

Old thread but thanks worachj ! That worked for me.
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
monkeydust

I have one TV where I use the remote to turn off the TV and the AV and another one just the TV. If you don't have the two very close to each other, you can end up turning one off without the other that puts in this weird out-of-sync state where you press the button again, you turn one on and the other one off. Then you have to go get the TV or AV remote and hit the power to get them back in sync.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I have one TV where I use the remote to turn off the TV and the AV and another one just the TV. If you don't have the two very close to each other, you can end up turning one off without the other that puts in this weird out-of-sync state where you press the button again, you turn one on and the other one off. Then you have to go get the TV or AV remote and hit the power to get them back in sync.
That the only thing bad about the remote If one does not turn you have to have other remote so you can sync it back. I keep my harmony one close by. I like Tivo remote key feel better then the Harmony one.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
A skilled remote control operator can get them back in sync without having to get off the couch.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #12
monkeydust

Quote:
A skilled remote control operator can get them back in sync without having to get off the couch.
Yeah, I've done it. I doubt the other people in my house would be as adept at it.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
caddyroger

Quote:
Ok tell me how to do it?
Old 10-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
KimHedrick

Just followed these instructions and got it to work. My TV and AVR sensors are about 6 or 7 feet apart so I can't get them both in one button push but I can easily aim at each one and click to turn them each off without affecting the other. Thanks for the tip!
KimHedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #15
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimHedrick View Post
Just followed these instructions and got it to work. My TV and AVR sensors are about 6 or 7 feet apart so I can't get them both in one button push but I can easily aim at each one and click to turn them each off without affecting the other. Thanks for the tip!
That will work for you but for my tv and av sensors are 12 in apart.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #16
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
Ok tell me how to do it?
Tough to explain, but aim "more" towards the device you want to turn off/on. Push the power button on the TiVo remote quickly and then quickly aim it away from your devices.

This technique usually works for me when 1 is off and 1 is on. My TV and AVR are very close to one another.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
monkeydust

Quote:
Tough to explain, but aim "more" towards the device you want to turn off/on. Push the power button on the TiVo remote quickly and then quickly aim it away from your devices.

This technique usually works for me when 1 is off and 1 is on. My TV and AVR are very close to one another.
Yeah, for the one I'm trying to switch, I'll aim it to it's outer range which would be farther away from the other one I'm not trying to switch. Hopefully it will do the closer one and not the other. It is a little bit tricky and I prefer to not have this situation possible on the main TV that everybody in the house uses.

I have the one in the basement with my Mini set to do both TV and AV power. That's the setup that I'm usually the only one using. Both the TV and AV are about 18" from each other. I typically have good luck turning both on/off at the same time since I kinda aim in the middle and hold down the power button for about a second.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #18
A2JetGuy

If you cannot get the remote code to work, try this...

There may be more than one remote code that works for your receiver in Part-2. In my case, I found that codes 1028, 1038 and 1204 all worked to control A/V volume and mute in Part-2, however, only code 1204 worked in Part-1 to turn my Yamaha receiever on/off.
TiVo HD 160GB Lifetime
OTA all the way!
A2JetGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #19
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2JetGuy View Post
If you cannot get the remote code to work, try this...

There may be more than one remote code that works for your receiver in Part-2. In my case, I found that codes 1028, 1038 and 1204 all worked to control A/V volume and mute in Part-2, however, only code 1204 worked in Part-1 to turn my Yamaha receiever on/off.
I got it to turn the tv and av receiver on and on off ok. But every so often it will just turn one on. That is when I have to get my harmony remoter that I can control each one separably.