TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #121
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Because Gordon was involved in extracting the BIOS info directly from the IBM equipment, so if he was involved in creating Cardiff's BIOS, IBM would be able to claim copyright infringement. But if they can claim that Cameron created a new BIOS without ever seeing the extracted IBM BIOS, then they have a defense to an infringement claim.

This was long before laptops. This was when you had a machine that was basically the size of a suitcase and the front folded open to reveal a keyboard and a tiny little monochrome screen.

That was the results of the reverse engineering that Joe and Gordon did. So in order for Cardiff to claim that Cameron made her BIOS on her own, she can't look at that code.
Thanks. I was close but not quite getting the reasoning.

We used to have a "pc" computer in 1991. All I remember is that it was big and clunky and white. I thought it had a 'handle' but not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #122
Thom

Now that the third episode has aired, and the show's current focus is on the mounting emotional pressure, I find I'm enjoying the show more.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #123
jautor
Also wants a pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Now that the third episode has aired, and the show's current focus is on the mounting emotional pressure, I find I'm enjoying the show more.
Agreed. Third episode was the best one so far... And Joe's, um, "actions" at the dinner party were a surprise.
jautor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #124
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Agreed. Third episode was the best one so far... And Joe's, um, "actions" at the dinner party were a surprise.
And I don't quite understand how his actions impacted the funding situation...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #125
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
And I don't quite understand how his actions impacted the funding situation...
Joe didn't want to partner with the rich lady and made that very clear during dinner, but then she went around him and got his boss to approve the deal anyway. So he then went and cheated with her boy-toy, and came out and with a look on his face that said everything. Basically, Joe made it clear that he wasn't going to play ball with her, so she was smart to kick them to the curb.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #126
markp99
TakoKichi

Thanks for this thread. I grabbed the first three episodes and did a mini-binge.

I'm in. I like the premise and characters. The era is very close to when I started my engineering career, but I find I don't care much about the technical accuracy of the whole reverse engineering thing. This is just good summer viewing fun.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #127
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Joe didn't want to partner with the rich lady and made that very clear during dinner, but then she went around him and got his boss to approve the deal anyway. So he then went and cheated with her boy-toy, and came out and with a look on his face that said everything. Basically, Joe made it clear that he wasn't going to play ball with her, so she was smart to kick them to the curb.
OK...I guess. I just don't see exactly how him messing around with her lackey would negatively affect the business deal. Maybe I'm oblivious....

XL4
Old 06-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #128
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
OK...I guess. I just don't see exactly how him messing around with her lackey would negatively affect the business deal. Maybe I'm oblivious....
He wasn't her lackey, he was her husband/boyfriend/lover. So Joe was basically sending a message that if she was going to go around him to Joe's boss and still do the deal, then Joe was going to go around her to mess with her. Not a good way to start off a financial relationship.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #129
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
He wasn't her lackey, he was her husband/boyfriend/lover. So Joe was basically sending a message that if she was going to go around him to Joe's boss and still do the deal, then Joe was going to go around her to mess with her. Not a good way to start off a financial relationship.
Hmmm....I didn't get that relationship between the two of them at all. Like I said....oblivous!

XL4
Old 06-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #130
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Blue LEDs are a 90's invention. White LEDs are a late 90's, early nauties.

The 80s have red, yellow and green LEDs. Though, the "green" was a rather sickly yellow-green color - the greens improved through the late 80s and the really nice deep greens were early 90s. I remember playing with a bunch of these LEDs back then. (And the original IBM PC was released in 1981, so reverse engineering happened far later).
So I'm vindicated, because Gordon definitely had white LEDs and clear red LEDs on the breadboard.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #131
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
I haven't even watched yet and can tell you. Gordon was "contaminated" by having seen the actual IBM BIOS and source code. That's why I say that those two could never be in the same room, or city, for that matter.
Disassembly, not source code. (Though I admit at assembly level those are pretty darn close to each other.. but you don't have comments, user-given label names, etc..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #132
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I pretty much figured for this show the threads would be a lot of 'this isn't right, that isn't right' about the technical stuff, and I'm just not interested in any of that.
That's funny, because for this show, I think that level of comment, even though I have been a part of it, has been actually pretty tame..
Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #133
blazin6969

Man I love this show!!!
blazin6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:02 AM   #134
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
So I'm vindicated, because Gordon definitely had white LEDs and clear red LEDs on the breadboard.
Yeah, neither would be in the early 80's.

In fact, if one were doing a ROM dump that way (which is idiotic), the old style colored LEDs work best - you don't want clear LEDs, the color LEDs help show where there are LEDs and then it's just a matter of seeing "on" and "off". In fact, it would make the circuit a lot more compact.

Anyhow, you wouldn't need a ROM dumper or anything - the PC itself can read that ROM chip out for you plain and simple since it's always mapped into the last 64K of the available memory space (the x86 boots at 0xF:FFF0 - 16 bytes from end of memory). A lot of these tricks were used to hack the original Xbox, too.

As for portable computers, the early 80s had the "luggables" - PCs you carried with huge handles to which you could carry it around. Gordon mocked, but considering you're talking about a $5000+ machine, being able to carry it home meant you could work at home instead of driving to the office.

Of course, the Mac, and in the latter half of the 80s, Toshiba meant "luggables" got a lot smaller (the Mac was inherently portable and many companies made carry bags for that purpose). Toshiba released the T1100/T3100 laptops in 1986, dooming luggables as the Toshibas were way more portable (sure they were 3" thick and about 12" square, but they were also only about 16lbs, and had a BUILT IN BATTERY. Yes, you could use this thing away from the plug! Of course, the traditional clamshell design for laptops came later. (I can't remember who started it, but Apple copied it for the Mac Powerbook 100, considered to be one of the nicest portable machines at the time).
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #135
DeDondeEs

Show is OK for me so far. I wish they would stop playing that awful early 80's punk music every time they show Cameron. The only thing that could be worse is if they start playing a bunch of whiny David Byrne stuff.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #136
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Show is OK for me so far. I wish they would stop playing that awful early 80's punk music every time they show Cameron. The only thing that could be worse is if they start playing a bunch of whiny David Byrne stuff.
I'm not the only one who hates her "theme" music.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #137
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Add me as one who hate the music they're picking whenever Cameron is on screen. Maybe that stuff was popular then and I'm just a few years to young to recognize it, but to me it comes across as "we can't afford to license real 80s music that anyone would recognize, so we're making her be into some really alternate punk."
Old 06-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #138
mattack

I don't like some of the music, but at least one or two of the songs I thought were entertaining.. I didn't bother to look them up, but at least they're *different* songs than you hear in most period stuff. (My best example -- can you see any documentary or drama set in the 1960s and NOT hear "For What It's Worth"? I actually REALLY like the song, too..)
Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #139
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Dropped the season pass. Never got into the any of the characters and story.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #140
leeherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I used "Shazam" on one song, and it's NEW, not from the '80s.

LH
leeherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #141
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm giving this one more episode and I'm gone. It's a snooze fest. They are trying to make this a character study, like Mad Men, only either the characters are really boring or they are taking WAY too much time to flesh them out. I just don't care to learn their back stories at this point already. The only one I find remotely interesting is the blonde engineer. But she's a horrible actress. She reacts to everything exactly the same way.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #142
cheesesteak
Meh.

And she has crappy music. I ffwd'd through her "solo" scenes because of the music.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #143
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I'm giving this one more episode and I'm gone. It's a snooze fest. They are trying to make this a character study, like Mad Men, only either the characters are really boring or they are taking WAY too much time to flesh them out. I just don't care to learn their back stories at this point already. The only one I find remotely interesting is the blonde engineer. But she's a horrible actress. She reacts to everything exactly the same way.
I like the Gordon/wife back story and hope that she gets into the design. I think that was hinted at with her showing Gordon how to do the motherboard on top of each other.

The others are pretty boring. The blonde chick is like a really really bad version of the blonde chick in Some Kind of Wonderful. Which is okay since it is set in the 80's I guess.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #144
Rainy Dave
Regulated User

I'm still watching, but I have to say the whole thing seems so disjointed so far.
Rainy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #145
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I agree 100% and am kind of disappointed in it. Yeah I knew it could not be all about the technical stuff as it would be way over the heads of normal people. And yeah I knew whatever technical stuff would be mostly wrong so that they could make it more dramatic. But the characters ARE boring the story is moving very slowly. I'll probably stick with it for now but I do hope it gets better!

Gerry

P. S. Lawsuit or not if I were the boss of the company and saw how the salesman guy (Lee Pace) backed it into a corner and how he keeps trying to force the company to do things that may be questionable, I would beat the crap out of him!!!
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #146
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

I'm feeling the same way. I wanted this show to be better than it is. It has some interesting elements, but it's kind of a Mad Men knockoff combined with a bad 80's movie.

I'm going to keep watching, for now. Mostly because without Game of Thrones and Fargo, I need something else to watch.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #147
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I like the Gordon/wife back story and hope that she gets into the design. I think that was hinted at with her showing Gordon how to do the motherboard on top of each other.
Yeah, she seems like she could be a good hardware engineer.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #148
Worf

I think she was introduced as being a rather experienced hardware engineer - they're at least equals in skill I believe. (They worked together on that computer they designed).

She's also cool under pressure - between the kids, the broken speak and spell, etc.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #149
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
I agree 100% and am kind of disappointed in it. Yeah I knew it could not be all about the technical stuff as it would be way over the heads of normal people. And yeah I knew whatever technical stuff would be mostly wrong so that they could make it more dramatic. But the characters ARE boring the story is moving very slowly. I'll probably stick with it for now but I do hope it gets better!

Gerry

P. S. Lawsuit or not if I were the boss of the company and saw how the salesman guy (Lee Pace) backed it into a corner and how he keeps trying to force the company to do things that may be questionable, I would beat the crap out of him!!!
Spoiler:
I would have fired his butt the second that he sensed that this was going to be trouble. I'd have at least hired a lawyer to figure out if it legally made sense. And the fact that the Lee Pace character was new, and came in and completely screwed up the company (at least at this point, obviously, we know the outcome was that PC Clones were immensely popular and profitable).

I spoilered the above since this isn't the series thread (or the episode thread). People might be reading having not watched yet.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #150
MPSAN

...and what the heck did the BIRD add to this story so far? I did not like that at all!