TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
mneimeyer

Question We moved now I have a MoCA question?

We moved from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and switched from Verizon FiOS to Comcast. I know... lucky us...

With FiOS the modem had MoCA built in so it just worked with our Tivo Premier XL4 including using the TiVo to get Internet to the other devices connected to the TV (like our XBox and the TV itself).

With Comcast we don't have a MoCA enabled router so I'm a little confused about what I need. We have three rooms I need to service. The office where the Cable modem lives. The living room where the TiVo will be and the master bedroom where there is currently nothing. My better half runs a home business and wants to keep the modem in the office if possible.

If I put a MoCA adaptor in the office and in the master bedroom... Is it that simple? My concern is that, as I understand it, the "source" of the MoCA network would be the TiVo in the living room but the "source" of the Internet would be in the office.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Better ways to do this?

Thanks!

Matt
mneimeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

Is there coax in the office? If so, you can connect a moca adapter to the router in there. That alone does the job that the Fios router was doing. They are the "source" of the moca network and internet access.

That's all there is to it.

You'll only need additional moca adapters for devices (if any) that don't already have moca built-in. The XL4 won't need one. The bedroom depends on what you put there.

A POE filter ($8 on ebay) should ideally be installed on the input side of the primary splitter to keep the moca signal inside your home. Wasn't necessary with Fios, but for cable it's a good idea.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
mneimeyer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
A POE filter ($8 on ebay) should ideally be installed on the input side of the primary splitter to keep the moca signal inside your home. Wasn't necessary with Fios, but for cable it's a good idea.
I don't know where the cable actually enters our apartment... if I can find it I'll put a POE filter there.

In case I can't is there any security/encryption I can enable on the MoCA network?

Thanks again!
mneimeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneimeyer View Post
I don't know where the cable actually enters our apartment... if I can find it I'll put a POE filter there.

In case I can't is there any security/encryption I can enable on the MoCA network?

Thanks again!
There is an encryption key setting available, at least on Tivo. Having never used an adapter, I assume they support it as well as part of the Moca standard, but I'm not sure. if it works like encryption normally does, enabling it will cost you some speed with the overhead. I have numbers to back this up, so it might only be 1% or it might be substantial... <shrug>

If you cant get the filter on your end of the wire, maybe the next time you see a comcast truck at your building you can get the filter installed at the other end of your wire at their distribution point.

There are actually three benefits to have the filter...

1. keeps your signal from leaving your house (security).
2. Keeps neighbors Moca signals from coming into your apt. (reliability/speed)
3. Reduces the length of wiring that the moca adapters are trying to send their signaling down, improving quality. (again speed/reliability)
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote