TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #31
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

What does the service transfer have to do with this? Keeping in mind that service is still active from my account as the buyer is (was) doing a series transfer as this particular Tivo has a low monthly rate with no service commitment so service, while scheduled to end later this month, this particular unit does have service active. This is not Tivo that has no service, same as the Plus I purchased new earlier this month as I paired my cable card in it after receiving it and it worked fine but just had a different MAK and wouldn't talk to any of my other TiVo's until I called Tivo and did the service transfer.

Then after a couple service calls, it has worked fine, now that I say that too I now remember that pro I describe never came up and reported I had inserted my cable card, I had to go into the settings, and cc screen to retrieve the card and host numbers to give my cable company to do the pairing.... Hmmm

Personally I don't believe there is anything wrong with the unit, I curious to try your procedure just because one, but have never done it and two, more I think about it I have never changed cable cards in a Tivo were the first card was paired and later switched to a different card, with not to offend Adam, I believe his cards are being recognized but I can't confirm that until I he returns it to me as I'm offering a full refund if he's not happy. Unfortunately as it is, I really belive it's a bad series of events rotating around the only unknown which is his cable cards.
TiVo Premiere

Last edited by eboydog : 06-13-2014 at 06:50 PM.
eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #32
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
What does the service transfer have to do with this? Keeping in mind that service is still active from my account as the buyer is (was) doing a series transfer as this particular Tivo has a low monthly rate with no service commitment so service, while scheduled to end later this month, this particular unit does have service active. This is not Tivo that has no service, same as the Plus I purchased new earlier this month as I paired my cable card in it after receiving it and it worked fine but just had a different MAK and wouldn't talk to any of my other TiVo's until I called Tivo and did the service transfer. Then after a couple service calls, it has worked fine, now that I say that too I now remember that pro I describe never Mae up and reported I had inserted my cable card, I had to go into the settings, and cc screen to retrieve the card and host numbers to give my cable company to do the pairing.... Hmmm

Personally I don't believe there is anything wrong with the unit, I curious to try your procedure just because one, but have never done it and two, more I think about it I have never changed cable cards in a Tivo were the first card was paired and later switched to a different card, with not to offend Adam, I believe his cards are being recognized but I can't confirm that until I he returns it to me as I'm offering a full refund if he's not happy. Unfortunately as it is, I really belive it's a bad series of events rotating around the only unknown which is his cable cards.
When I was selling off all my lifetime TiVo HDs, and Premieres, I called TiVo because my first buyer couldn't get TiVo to transfer the TSN to his account, with TiVo allegedly claiming "the seller needed to release it first".

When I called, I was told that wasn't true, as TiVo's servers can tell when a unit calls in from another region or market, during guided setup. I was told that I "absolutely must do a C&DE first, if this was to work". I had always done so, with every TiVo I ever sold, even though one buyer REALLY WANTED me not to, in order to "See programming from another market".

Wanting to make sure everybody got their TSNs on their accounts, and not staying stuck on mine, I played CSR Roulette and found somebody with a way that worked.

1. Seller calls TiVo and informs them they have sold a TiVo, and gives the TSN, then asks for a support ticket for that TSN, and then seller passes that support ticket number to the new owner to call in and reference.

2. Buyer sets up an account (if they don't have one).

3. Buyer calls TiVo, references the support ticket number, and the TSN gets placed onto their account, ticket now closed.

Using this method, all six I sold had no issues being transferred to their new owners' accounts, and no cablecard (or other) issues were reported to me by any buyers.

Because I was selling with fresh recertified 2TB drives, and including the originals, I had to do a C&DE on the stock drives (just to be safe), and I used my 00000 zip code trick to verify the units booted up and operated with their recertified 2TB drives, and a clean image I used, then did a C&DE before boxing each one up.

Obviously, calling TiVo to ask about these things will often result in being told something completely absurd (or believable, but still not true)...

I think I've given all the advice and help I can offer. I can't verify that the new owner has done any or all of it. The situation you describe about purposely keeping a unit you sold on your account is never something I'd do, and would expect complications with, even though I'm sure others have done what you describe without issue.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #33
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
When I was selling off all my lifetime TiVo HDs, and Premieres, I called TiVo because my first buyer couldn't get TiVo to transfer the TSN to his account, with TiVo allegedly claiming "the seller needed to release it first".

When I called, I was told that wasn't true, as TiVo's servers can tell when a unit calls in from another region or market, during guided setup. I was told that I "absolutely must do a C&DE first, if this was to work". I had always done so, with every TiVo I ever sold, even though one buyer REALLY WANTED me not to, in order to "See programming from another market".

Wanting to make sure everybody got their TSNs on their accounts, and not staying stuck on mine, I played CSR Roulette and found somebody with a way that worked.

1. Seller calls TiVo and informs them they have sold a TiVo, and gives the TSN, then asks for a support ticket for that TSN, and then seller passes that support ticket number to the new owner to call in and reference.

2. Buyer sets up an account (if they don't have one).

3. Buyer calls TiVo, references the support ticket number, and the TSN gets placed onto their account, ticket now closed.

Using this method, all six I sold had no issues being transferred to their new owners' accounts, and no cablecard (or other) issues were reported to me by any buyers.

Because I was selling with fresh recertified 2TB drives, and including the originals, I had to do a C&DE on the stock drives (just to be safe), and I used my 00000 zip code trick to verify the units booted up and operated with their recertified 2TB drives, and a clean image I used, then did a C&DE before boxing each one up.

Obviously, calling TiVo to ask about these things will often result in being told something completely absurd (or believable, but still not true)...

I think I've given all the advice and help I can offer. I can't verify that the new owner has done any or all of it. The situation you describe about purposely keeping a unit you sold on your account is never something I'd do, and would expect complications with, even though I'm sure others have done what you describe without issue.
The Roamio has to (per tivo) to remain on my account door the buyer to receive the grandfathered lower rate, per what Tivo told me, if my service expires that lower rate is no longer in effect thus this is why the unit remains with a valid service.

Same was with the Plus I purchased, service was still active and I inherited the prior owners service commitment which only had 2 more months left so it wasn't a problem. Which on a side note for anyone buying used Roamio's, most used ones have service commitments unlike used Premiere's that can be subscribed month to month with no commitment. When you buy a used Roamio, you get more than you may realize esp if you aren't expecting a service commitment but all of that is off topic.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #34
unitron

It's not the C&DE that I worry about so much as the possibility that the unit will get stuck halfway through Guided Setup, from which there is no simple way out.

There may not be a large risk of that, but it has been known to happen.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #35
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It's not the C&DE that I worry about so much as the possibility that the unit will get stuck halfway through Guided Setup, from which there is no simple way out.

There may not be a large risk of that, but it has been known to happen.
Would you concur that a C&DE could purge potentially corrupt data from the databases, preventing that?

Or, are you implying that by doing a C&DE, that the recipient (or user) is forced into GS, and increasing the risk?

I'm thinking the point where people get stuck in GS is during the service connection, due to existing/stagnant data which didn't get properly through GC causing a myriad of error messages, at sometimes different points in the process.

I feel the 00000 zip code and Tiny TiVo lineup (discovered and shared by me), using Installer Express setup, after a C&DE (and in other situations), helps insure stagnant data is expunged.

It takes very little time to complete. But, the key is in letting GC and Indexing complete on the Tiny Tivo lineup, which might take anywhere from 20 minutes, to a few hours, depending on how much old garbage needed cleaning-up. Once the 00000/Tiny TiVo GS and GC/Indexing has completed, another C&DE can be done, and should take a lot less time than a true lineup would take.

I'd have near 100% confidence in my suddenly popular trick taking care of any GS worries not related to hardware issues. By zipping through Tiny TiVo GS, without any errors occurring during the download and loading phases (as well as completing GC/Indexing), you've mitigated the risks of it happening the next time GS is run.

My lineup (likely the mapping) was recently corrupted, and even using other local zip codes didn't fix anything. Switching to Tiny Tivo and back (with GC & Indexing completed, and a reboot between GS runs) to my real lineup did the trick.

I keep finding that some of my most difficult lineup and database errors get resolved by Tiny TiVo.

Concise version for everybody else: Running Guided Setup, selecting Installer Express on the second screen (on software new enough to have the "press enter for advanced setup options"), selecting 00000 as your zip code, and Tiny TiVo as your provider, is a "fast lane" through Guided Setup, which downloads a lineup channel map with one channel, and empty guide entries. You can choose to say "later" or "no" when asked about a cablecard, or even pair a card.

IIRC, after pairing, the only way to test channels is to test through DVR Diags option, choosing to test channels using M-card, which bypasses the guide data and channel mapping, and instead uses the mapping inside the actual cablecard. Tiny TiVo's guide data only has one channel: 999.

Old shipping versions of Premiere and TiVo HD software don't have "Installer Express" as an option, but will still accept zip 00000 and Tiny TiVo. These older versions without the express way will simply just take longer, due to running all of Guided Setup, with all the options presented. The express way goes almost straight into new software downloading, or straight into the bare minimum it takes to setup up a TiVo (meant for professional installers, who can't afford to wait for the unit to download 15 days of guide data, before then being forced to set every little option).

Ever wonder what software version you have, and don't want to run through setup to find out? Just press the info button on the very first screen of Guided Setup, and it will display on the bottom of the screen.