TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
westtown73

Replaced Power Supply & Hard Disk but Still Reboots!

When my seven year old HD starting rebooting on a fairly regular basis, I purchased a new power supply and hard disk from weaknees. I put the power supply in first. I found bulging and leaking caps, so I thought I had a fix. It did seem to fix things for awhile, but then the rebooting began again.

So I put in the new hard disk today, but it wasn't long before the Tivo went through another reboot cycle. It doesn't get stuck in the reboot cycle, but it happens frequently enough to be annoying. Any tests I can do to see if the motherboard has issues? Or am I missing something?
westtown73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtown73 View Post
When my seven year old HD starting rebooting on a fairly regular basis, I purchased a new power supply and hard disk from weaknees. I put the power supply in first. I found bulging and leaking caps, so I thought I had a fix. It did seem to fix things for awhile, but then the rebooting began again.

So I put in the new hard disk today, but it wasn't long before the Tivo went through another reboot cycle. It doesn't get stuck in the reboot cycle, but it happens frequently enough to be annoying. Any tests I can do to see if the motherboard has issues? Or am I missing something?
There's no guarantee that one or more of the caps on the power supply you bought aren't going bad, so I'd check the DC outputs with a voltmeter first.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
squint

It would be interesting to know if Weaknees replaced the defective capacitors before selling the power supply. If they didn't then you got a power supply with the same short life expectancy capacitors which at best it bought you some time.

So far, the only motherboard component failure that I've heard of results in the Flashing Green Light of Doom where the power LED just blinks.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
westtown73

According to the Weaknees web site, the HD power supply is a new one instead of a refurbished one. Based on that I thought I was good to go. I'll have to go the voltmeter route to confirm that fact.

If the line power was consistently low voltage, could that cause issues. I have it on a battery backup, but I notice that the input voltage has been reading 114 or 116 over the past few weeks. So if the battery backup was malfunctioning, would that cause the same symptoms as a bad power supply?

I am kind of grasping at straws here...
Old 06-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
squint

If you have the one made by 3Y, try to read the manufacturer's name off of the capacitors. The ones you want to focus on are C402, 403, 407, 501, 502, 503, 504, and 701. If any of them are made by CapXon, Taicon, or OST then they are no good. If they're made by someone else, please tell us who the manufacturer is.

Typically, the good capacitors are made by Japanese companies: Panasonic, Nichicon, Rubycon, and United Chemi-Con.

I don't think 114-116V would have any effect.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
westtown73

The power supply is made by 3Y and the capacitors are made my TAICON. So I should get a voltmeter now and test the output?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
squint

Ah, you probably have the RevB2 as seen on the 2nd decal.

Taicon are probably a bit better than CapXon or OST and their use in RevB2 might be a response to all the CapXon and OST failures.

Since your TiVo is acting up, I would go ahead and replace them with Panasonic, Nichicon, Rubycon, or United Chemi-Con capacitors and see if that ends the rebooting.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
westtown73

So did weaknees buy up a lot of HD power supplies after Tivo stopped making that model? How else could weaknees advertise it as new?

Maybe I will try replacing the caps on the previous power supply that had the OST caps that are visibly bad. I don't have any soldering experience, so I am a little nervous about replacing them. However, there is lots of good advice on this forum so I will read up before I try it.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #9
squint

Quote:
So did weaknees buy up a lot of HD power supplies after Tivo stopped making that model? How else could weaknees advertise it as new?
I remember reading on one of the forums that they did indeed place their own order with 3Y and that 3Y would not sell individual units to end users. This seems reasonable since it would be hard to salvage enough power supplies from junked Tivos to meet demand. Also, WK doesn't have a buyback program for the HD power supplies as it does for the OLED.

Quote:
Maybe I will try replacing the caps on the previous power supply that had the OST caps that are visibly bad. I don't have any soldering experience, so I am a little nervous about replacing them. However, there is lots of good advice on this forum so I will read up before I try it.
If you're not up to it, timhbtr53 and I both offer power supply capacitor replacement for the cost of parts and return shipping. He is in Louisiana and I am in northern California.