TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #1
DB_0673

audio hook up Roamio basic

Can I run the HDMI to my tv and also run the optical digital to an older receiver (does not have HDMI)? Will the both output audio simultaneously?
Also the yellow RCA plug says A/V, does that mean audio or video. Yellow used to mean audio in the old days. Could I use a stereo Rca wire and then a splitter to go to left and right inputs on this old receiver. ( if dig optical is not an option)
Thanks

My Roamio won't arrive until next tues so I am just trying to be ready.
I did not know it did not have rca outs until I found a pic of the rear of the unit
Dan
DB_0673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
worachj

On the back of the Roamio Basic the yellow RCA hole is for composite output, and is only good for standard definition picture and analog audio. You need a composite breakout cable like the one TiVo sells here.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable
Old 06-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

I can state the optical Toslink and hdmi both output audio at the same time on the basic. If you need stereo output rca, you will need the breakout cable as previously noted.

The breakout cable also supports componant video output however there are issues will it outputting both hdmi video and component at the same time (just for the video output).
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_0673 View Post
.....Also the yellow RCA plug says A/V, does that mean audio or video. Yellow used to mean audio in the old days. .......
Yellow never meant audio. Yellow RCA connectors are for composite video (480i SD video only). Red and white or sometimes black are for left/right analog stereo audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I can state the optical Toslink and hdmi both output audio at the same time on the basic. If you need stereo output rca, you will need the breakout cable as previously noted. The breakout cable also supports componant video output however there are issues will it outputting both hdmi video and component at the same time (just for the video output).
The breakout for the Roamio basic only supports composite AV, not component video. You're mistaking that with the breakout connections on the mini.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
The breakout cable also supports componant video output however there are issues will it outputting both hdmi video and component at the same time (just for the video output).
The basic only outputs composite, not component, video. The plus and pro have component.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
The basic only outputs composite, not component, video. The plus and pro have component.
Thanks, me bad as composite and component I always get them mixed up.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
DB_0673

Thanks, I just realized that the old receiver I have does not even have optical. I will look at the breakout cable, or probably need to replace that receiver.

Dan
Old 06-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
DB_0673

anyone try or recommend sending the HDMI to the A/V receiver first, then out of the receiver to the TV (HDMI out) or just toslink to A/V and HDMI to TV

thanks
Dan
Old 06-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Standard is to go to the receiver first and then to the TV. That's how I've always had my TiVos connected. Even before HDMI. It works without issue.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It works without issue.
You should just make this your signature and you wouldn't have to keep typing it with every post. [elbow jab to ribs]