TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
gfgray

Receiver Switches to TV Input After a Few Seconds - HDMI-CEC

If your receiver switches to TV Input (instead of staying on the input that the Tivo is connected to) after several seconds after turning your TV on, this is the explanation. The Tivo does not support HDMI-CEC. When a TV that supports HDMI-CEC does not detect that a HDMI-CEC compatible device is connected, it will tell a HDMI-CEC receiver to switch to TV Input.

You can disable HDMI-CEC. But that will also disable ARC. And you will have to add another cable to get audio from the TV to the receiver.

The best solution is for Tivo to implement enough of the HDMI-CEC spec to keep the TV from deciding to change the receiver's input.

There are other threads complaining about the lack of HDMI-CEC support in the Tivo. I am detailing a real world problem that this is causing. This is going to become more and more of an issue as people buy new TVs that support HDMI-CEC.

Here is another thread with further explanation and additional work arounds:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmon.../643198/page/3
gfgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
anthonymoody

CEC is a **** show in my experience. It's a "standard" in the sense that there are guidelines, but implementation from mfr to mfr can result in all sorts of wonky behavior - and that is where devices are CEC compliant. It gets even more annoying with devices like the TiVo which aren't.

Thank god for Logitech remotes.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
monkeydust

I had the same problem on my Denon/Samsung. I had to turn that functionality off on my TV.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
gfgray

I am Denon / Samsung also. Maybe this is a "feature" when you mix these two brands... I wish someone made a little adapter to add CEC functions to a non-CEC device (and charged less than $50)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
knox

Adapter? here you go:
http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/pro...c-adapter.aspx
Old 06-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
jay_winter
P4+PXL4+Mini+FIOS

Knox -- This could be earth-shaking news!

Are you saying this thingy can make a TiVo box look like an HDMI 1.4 CEC device? Have you tried it?

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
ss-stingray
Sony DHG refugee

My Samsung did this also this week. Don't know why after having the roamio and tv for months. I went to TV menu and saw an unchecked box for a set top box. After checking box TV stopped changing to antenna . Weird ??
ss-stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
geogolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss-stingray View Post
My Samsung did this also this week. Don't know why after having the roamio and tv for months. I went to TV menu and saw an unchecked box for a set top box. After checking box TV stopped changing to antenna . Weird ??
I think this is happening because the TIVO lacks HDMI CEC support...

I am having the same problem.. and cannot find a solution. very annoying.
geogolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

HDMI CEC is one of the first things I disable in my devices when I set them up. I use Harmony Remotes to turn things on/off and change inputs so I have no need for it anyway.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #10
HoustonMidtown

I had the same issue with my Sony....I just moved the HDMI cable to a different port and the problem went away..
HoustonMidtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #11
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

There is one vendor I recall selling HDMI cables with the HDMI-CEC wire specifically not connected, just to deal with incompatibilities, and products not complying to HDMI-CEC specs on voltage levels.

If a market exists enough, that such a cable exists, it says a lot about problems people are having with what that cable eliminates.

If I worked in tech support (hypothetically), I'd much rather send a customer such a cable, than walk them through disabling it through all the different TV menus...
Old 11-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

But if a person can't figure out how to turn it off in the menus, then they must be one of the "VCR flashing 12:00" people. All people need to do is read the instructions.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But if a person can't figure out how to turn it off in the menus, then they must be one of the "VCR flashing 12:00" people. All people need to do is read the instructions.
As somebody who used to work in support, and knows many people, personally, of the flashing VCR type, I can assure you there are plenty of people who only open the manual to initially set something up (if even then), then throw it in the trash (or some location that will remain unknown for the next x years).

As I often must remind myself (and remind you), not everybody has the skills and mindsets that we do. I may not open some manuals, before setting up, but never throw them away, and do try to keep their locations known.

Those who don't sell their old electronics, to offset the cost of the new stuff, tend to discard everything but the actual product, and what they needed to set it up (if they even set it up, as opposed to having somebody else do it for them).

Of course, I doubt the classes of people you seem to think are extinct, would ever know such a cable existed, without it being provided for them (and still may not know why that particular cable works for them).

TiVo users are an odd lot, when it comes to what walks of life have them. A working TiVo is actually easier for the technology-impaired, than a VCR, when the power goes out. There's a valid reason why TiVo asks everybody to power cycle everything, before providing other support. It's insulting and irritating to us who are both experienced, and up to date with things, but necessary.

While I don't work in support anymore, I don't miss it (some of the stories I could tell would sound like prank calls to you). Although, if you let people know you can be a source of support, it can become an unpaid, ongoing role.

Perhaps the folks who have no idea how the magic picture box and magic tapeless recording device works, who never even change the TV input, will be extinct in a few decades, but that only covers 1st world countries.

ETA, from another HDMI-CEC thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
HDMI-CEC being bastardized by trademarked names, not adhering to the voltage level specs, often making only same-brand devices play well together, has been a plague on HDMI-CEC.

As I've mentioned in a few threads, you can buy cables with the HDMI-CEC wire not connected, specifically to address issues with bastardized implementations and incompatibility.

It seems most useful for situations where you want HDMI-CEC enabled, but a particular device is causing problems. I'm not the member who found the cable exists, but seem to be catching all the grief for saying it exists (implications that there's no reason for it to exist, and/or it's just so easy to reconfigure devices to not need such a cable, etc).

I know it's not the answer to the thread title, and what the OP is looking for.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-18-2014 at 05:26 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #14
gfgray

If I wasn't clear in the original post, I need ARC because I don't have an audio-only cable running 50ft to my receiver. Disabling CEC also disables ARC.

For those of you who don't understand why we are complaining, after a couple seconds, the TV tells the receiver to switch to "TV Input", but it leaves the TV on "HDMI Input". Result: after turning the TV on, everything works fine until a few seconds pass, then no video and no audio until the receiver is manually changed back to "HDMI Input". It is maddening.

Pulse-Eight still does not have a 3rd party solution.... Hopefully Tivo will implement HDMI-CEC in their 4k box so that Tivo will play nicely with other equipment if for no other reason.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:55 AM   #15
fred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfgray View Post
If I wasn't clear in the original post, I need ARC because I don't have an audio-only cable running 50ft to my receiver. Disabling CEC also disables ARC.

For those of you who don't understand why we are complaining, after a couple seconds, the TV tells the receiver to switch to "TV Input", but it leaves the TV on "HDMI Input". Result: after turning the TV on, everything works fine until a few seconds pass, then no video and no audio until the receiver is manually changed back to "HDMI Input". It is maddening.

Pulse-Eight still does not have a 3rd party solution.... Hopefully Tivo will implement HDMI-CEC in their 4k box so that Tivo will play nicely with other equipment if for no other reason.
I wonder if this is PART of my problem. I use a Harmony remote (older not sure 720???). My TV is using ARC to connect to a Yamaha receiver (that is the only connection between the tv to receiver (receiver to tivo). Using the Harmony I "turn on" the TV (tivo is on obviously). I use the receiver although I don't think I have to turn it on (arc?). For a few seconds all is right but then I lose the audio (but NOT the video) I see it change the hdmi port. I've added a few seconds (milli seconds??) to the Harmony command string to re-establish the correct hdmi. So, I get audio/video for a bit, then the audio cuts out, then the command is sent again and audio reestablished. But on occasion the audio stays off and I have a harmoney button assigned to "fix" the hdmi.

I did a bunch of fiddling to get this working and could not figure out what was blowing the audio. I worked it over and over and there was nothing in the command string to break the audio/hdmi port but it was broken nonetheless. Until I finally threw in the delay and another "this hdmi (stupid!)" command.

I see this cec in Tools for the tv but the only things it shows is a dvd player. I really don't know what cec does or NOT!
fred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #16
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2 View Post
I see this cec in Tools for the tv but the only things it shows is a dvd player. I really don't know what cec does or NOT!
So read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC

I never use it.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:17 AM   #17
gamo62

TiVo has always been behind in technology. They still don't have a 4k solution. So the lack of CEC support doesn't surprise me. They're more interested in adding tuners and storage, than they are in keeping up with technology. Case in point. How long did it take for them to FINALLY add Amazon prime?
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote