TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #9871
dantruong

Follow me, I currently got the series 3 and running Ver. 8.3. with a DB 35 Seagate hard drive & the MX1 enclosure. Everything works fine right now. When TiVo upgrades my receiver to 9 .2 will it still worked properly or will it reinstall the external hard drive?
I don't want to lose my recordings? I've got quite a few shows that are recorded and would hate to start over again. If anybody went from 8.3 to 9.2 & use the old kickstart method, did you encounter any problems when TiVo upgraded your receiver?
Thank You.
A better day.
dantruong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #9872
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantruong View Post
Follow me, I currently got the series 3 and running Ver. 8.3. with a DB 35 Seagate hard drive & the MX1 enclosure. Everything works fine right now. When TiVo upgrades my receiver to 9 .2 will it still worked properly or will it reinstall the external hard drive?
I don't want to lose my recordings? I've got quite a few shows that are recorded and would hate to start over again. If anybody went from 8.3 to 9.2 & use the old kickstart method, did you encounter any problems when TiVo upgraded your receiver?
Thank You.
A better day.
8.2, 9.2 ???
Series 3's have been using 11.0 for years. 11.0m is the latest. As soon as you connect to TiVo you should be getting that update.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #9873
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
8.2, 9.2 ???
Series 3's have been using 11.0 for years. 11.0m is the latest. As soon as you connect to TiVo you should be getting that update.
I'm assuming he actually has some model of DirecTiVo.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #9874
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I'm assuming he actually has some model of DirecTiVo.
No such versions in DTiVo. His other off-topic posts seem to include snippets of other posts, suggesting an incipient spammer.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #9875
Albinus

Hi guys,

Got a question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere. I have the Australian Series 3 model (TCD663160) with the 160GB WD drive, plus a 1GB E-SATA Expander that was purchased as part of the pack in 2009. Well, I've had the external drive die with the click of death, internal is still testing fine with WD diagnostics. As a result, TiVo works fine on the internal 160GB drive but quite limited for storage.

I'm seeing conflicting messages about replacing the external drive. Some say I must only use a WD Expander. Some say any old E-SATA drive will work. Some say that I must use a new drive, but in the WD caddy. Some say I need an image installed, some I don't.

Can anybody simplify this for me and give me a more firm answer? Please?

Thanks in advance!
Albinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #9876
mattack

I know nothing about Australian Tivos.. but based upon what I just found at wikipedia, this looks like the equivalent to the "Tivo HD" model.. (not the OLED S3)

The Tivo HD *only* works with the official external drives. People may have hacked other drives, e.g. I think you can 'marry' drives manually, but I don't know how to do that.. As far as official support, you need the official drive.

I *believe* the OLED S3 "works" with basically any drive, but even it AFAIK is only "officially" supported with the external drive.

My suggestion would be to just expand the internal drive. It *might* work with the jmfs CD, which makes expansion really easy. (It basically is a text based friendly front end to the CLI tools.)

and/or get a Roamio (I have no idea if those work outside the U.S.. do other countries even use cable cards?), and plop a 3 TB drive in it..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #9877
jmbach

I agree about expanding the internal drive. There is a special version of WinMFS for the Australian TiVo. While you have it open, get a backup of your image. I have seen several people asking for an image for their Australian TiVo and never get one. It would be good to have one floating around.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:22 AM   #9878
Albinus

Hey guys, no TiVo here has been killed by the slough of other PVR devices on the market. I also have a FetchTV box that streams cable channels via HTTP multicast, as well as 1TB of storage and three tuners. In fact, TiVo isn't even sold here anymore, only the channel guides and movies are updated.

Is the lack of support for external drives tied into the file system or the model of WD drive? I can source a matching model of WD drive but don't want it to nuke my lifetime subscription when I plug it in.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #9879
jmbach

The TiVo subscription is tied to the motherboard. Replacing the drive does not affect anything. If you use an image from another TiVo, you will have to do a clear and delete everything first before the TiVo will work so that the motherboard serial number is embedded in the MFS structure of the drive.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #9880
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinus View Post
Is the lack of support for external drives tied into the file system or the model of WD drive? I can source a matching model of WD drive but don't want it to nuke my lifetime subscription when I plug it in.
IIRC, the Tivo looks for a specific model # of the drive itself. If the drive ID inside the enclosure doesn't match with what's in the database, it won't work.
The enclosure does not matter. People have had failed electronics in the enclosure, have successfully transferred the hard drive to an aftermarket enclosure, and everything still works.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #9881
unitron

There is a very short list of WD drive model numbers (of the actual raw drive itself) which any TiVo newer than the original USA Series 3 (the one with the clock display) will have and against which it will check any drive attached to the eSATA port.

If the drive inside the external enclosure is not one of those few models, the TiVo will refuse to work with it.

If the drive inside your external has truly failed (as opposed to just the enclosure or the power supply for the enclosure failing), then unfortunately, because of the way TiVo divides each recording between the internal and external drives once you hook one up, you've lost those recordings.

If this is the case, you need to instruct the TiVo to divorce the external drive.

After that is done, I suggest you use the Australian version of WinMFS to copy the internal to a 2TB (success seems to be being had in great numbers with either the WD20EURS or its successor the WD20EURX), and then, as a separate step, expand into the remaining space.

Having two drives doubles the chances of failure.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #9882
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Having two drives doubles the chances of failure.
I think it would seem like 4x the chances, if you count each cable connection from each end of the eSATA cable, the enclosure itself, and then the drive itself.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:38 AM   #9883
Albinus

Thanks guys. Drive itself is toast, WD diagnostics pinned excessive sector reallocation. I have another VS drive I can gain access to, different firmware on it though. Worth a shot by the looks of it. Might get a healthy image off the 160GB while I can too.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:37 AM   #9884
bobock

It was worth to buy it. Cool design, easy to setup, and runs great.
Low energy consumption, dual tuner HD PVR, use on multiple technology platforms operators around the world. But the best thing is that i can record 6 shows at once.
It is expensive, but i dont regret the purchase.
bobock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #9885
DB_0673

can't find correct hard drive

I have a 5 yr old Tivo HD, and think I need to replace HD. ( I did originally upgrade to a 1000GB) Can't seem to find the ones on list to purchase.
Would this WD work,
WD AV-GP 1 TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EURX (they won't let me post links yet)
Any suggestions appreciated. I want to make sure I am getting a HD that is rated for 24/7 use and would probably stick with 1000GB

Thanks in advance
Dan
DB_0673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #9886
TivoDawg

WD10EURX - 1TB Drive upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_0673 View Post
I have a 5 yr old Tivo HD, and think I need to replace HD. ( I did originally upgrade to a 1000GB) Can't seem to find the ones on list to purchase.
Would this WD work,
WD AV-GP 1 TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD10EURX (they won't let me post links yet)
Any suggestions appreciated. I want to make sure I am getting a HD that is rated for 24/7 use and would probably stick with 1000GB

Thanks in advance
Dan
DB_0673 - I had the same questions and decided to just make the jump.

1. I bought the WD10EURX drive.
2. Ran wdidle3 to ensure the idle timer was disabled (to prevent the softboot problems). It was disabled out of the box, so no problems there.
3. Ran WinMFS and upgraded from an original TiVo HD drive. I also expanded the drive to use the new size, and supersized it.

All worked without fail. I have had it in the TiVo for a day or so and have seen no trouble in recordings, and no random reboots. I also transferred manually (ie. transferred via network from another TiVo box) some large recordings. So far, everything seems normal. No pixilation or random reboots. No slow tuning on over the air HD channels, etc.

I hope that helps. Please understand that this happened within the last 24 hours or so. My experience is not related to long term testing.

Has anyone else used this drive for upgrades and had problems for the TiVo HD? If so, please let us know.

Thanks,
-Randy
TivoDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #9887
dlfl
Cranky old novice

You should try searching these forums on "wd10eurx" and "wd20eurx". Lots of info. The wd20 is probably the replacement drive du jour at the moment. No need to make brave decisions in the dark.

and
Old 06-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #9888
DB_0673

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoDawg View Post
DB_0673 - I had the same questions and decided to just make the jump.

1. I bought the WD10EURX drive.
2. Ran wdidle3 to ensure the idle timer was disabled (to prevent the softboot problems). It was disabled out of the box, so no problems there.
3. Ran WinMFS and upgraded from an original TiVo HD drive. I also expanded the drive to use the new size, and supersized it.

All worked without fail. I have had it in the TiVo for a day or so and have seen no trouble in recordings, and no random reboots. I also transferred manually (ie. transferred via network from another TiVo box) some large recordings. So far, everything seems normal. No pixilation or random reboots. No slow tuning on over the air HD channels, etc.

I hope that helps. Please understand that this happened within the last 24 hours or so. My experience is not related to long term testing.

Has anyone else used this drive for upgrades and had problems for the TiVo HD? If so, please let us know.

Thanks,
-Randy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
You should try searching these forums on "wd10eurx" and "wd20eurx". Lots of info. The wd20 is probably the replacement drive du jour at the moment. No need to make brave decisions in the dark.
Thanks for the prompt answers. Randy, how did you know that the IDLE timer was disabled out of the box. If I have to run wdidle, does it allow you to select the drive you want, I don't want it to screw up my SSD drives in my computer.
I will search and read up on the drives mentioned

Dan
Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 AM   #9889
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt answers. Randy, how did you know that the IDLE timer was disabled out of the box. If I have to run wdidle, does it allow you to select the drive you want, I don't want it to screw up my SSD drives in my computer.
I will search and read up on the drives mentioned

Dan
Boot from a cd with the

wdidle3.exe

program on it, but first disconnect the data cables from all drives except the cd or dvd deck from which you are booting and the WD drive to be adjusted if necessary.

That drive will need to be connected straight to a SATA port on the motherboard (or an IDE/PATA port with the use of a SATA/IDE adapter), and not through a USB adapater for wdidle3 to be able to access the drive on a low enough level to change the firmware.

The 10EUX should work just fine, but you might as well spend a little extra and get a much better GB/$ ratio with a WD20EURS or WD20EURX.

And of course run WD's own diagnostic software long test on the drive before doing anything else with it.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #9890
DB_0673

Quote:
Boot from a cd with the

wdidle3.exe

program on it, but first disconnect the data cables from all drives except the cd or dvd deck from which you are booting and the WD drive to be adjusted if necessary.

That drive will need to be connected straight to a SATA port on the motherboard (or an IDE/PATA port with the use of a SATA/IDE adapter), and not through a USB adapater for wdidle3 to be able to access the drive on a low enough level to change the firmware.

The 10EUX should work just fine, but you might as well spend a little extra and get a much better GB/$ ratio with a WD20EURS or WD20EURX.

And of course run WD's own diagnostic software long test on the drive before doing anything else with it.
Thanks
I have to figure out what or where to get the long test software
Dan
Old 06-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #9891
unitron

Quote:
Thanks
I have to figure out what or where to get the long test software
Dan
Check your PMs.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #9892
DB_0673

Quote:
Check your PMs.

thanks, got them
Old 06-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #9893
shrike4242

Trying to do a drive upgrade on a S3 I've taken out of service and replace the original 250GB drive with a 1TB EVDS drive that I had new in box.

I popped the drive into my external enclosure and brought up WinMFS. When it goes to select the drive, it brings up the "Error number: 9 / Error Message: Warning! / Your A drive is married to B drive but only A drive is selected" message.

The S3 used to have an external drive Seagate 750GB DB35 drive in a MX-1 enclosure, though when I took the unit out of service, I divorced the drive from the system and did a Clear Everything and Delete, so it started up as a new Tivo install.

I can't seem to figure out why the system would report that the external drive is still married to the internal drive after the clear and delete, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I put the 250GB drive back in the S3 and do another Clear Everything and Delete? Is there an issue with the 250GB drive and I should look into getting an image from other sources like Instant Cake, dumping the image onto the 1TB drive directly?

Would the fact that I'm trying to do this via an external enclosure make a difference?

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #9894
HerronScott

Not sure if it's needed but after the divorce and/or Clear and Delete Everything did you go through the full setup on reboot? Just wondering if the divorce is perhaps not finalized until that happens.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #9895
squint

Isn't there a "Fix divorce" option in WinMFS? I'm no expert but on a drive that's already been wiped I would try that and "Delete Format" and see what happens.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #9896
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Not sure if it's needed but after the divorce and/or Clear and Delete Everything did you go through the full setup on reboot? Just wondering if the divorce is perhaps not finalized until that happens.

Scott
I didn't do full setup, it was just at the initial setup screen after the C&D E process. When it was at that initial screen, I just powered it off and left it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Isn't there a "Fix divorce" option in WinMFS? I'm no expert but on a drive that's already been wiped I would try that and "Delete Format" and see what happens.
I did do the "Fix Divorce" step, which didn't seem to make any difference the next time I tried the drive. What does "Delete Format" do?

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #9897
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Current List of Recommended Drives?

Wow. The drive upgrade sticky has not been updated in a long time. For those of us still running the TCD652160 THD DVRs, what currently available drives are satisfactory? I see mention of WD10EURX earlier. What are some other compatible drives?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #9898
dlfl
Cranky old novice

See post 9887 in this thread and following posts. Surprised you missed that.

and
Old 07-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #9899
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
Wow. The drive upgrade sticky has not been updated in a long time. For those of us still running the TCD652160 THD DVRs, what currently available drives are satisfactory? I see mention of WD10EURX earlier. What are some other compatible drives?
Get a WD20EURS or WD20EURX.

Use WinMFS to copy the old drive to the new after running the WD diagnostic long test on the new drive to make sure it's okay before putting it into service.

When WinMFS finally finishes copying (after looking frozen for awhile), it'll offer to expand into the rest of the space. Tell it no.

Select the new drive and run

mfsinfo

on it and make sure it looks okay and that there's a big Apple Free partition at the end of the Partition Map.

Then back out of that and run

mfsadd

to do the expansion as a separate step.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #9900
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Get a WD20EURS or WD20EURX.

Use WinMFS to copy ....
I'm on Mac; I don't have Windows. I'm still using the MFSLive 1.4 CD to do my backup and copying. I don't think it much likes 2 TB drives. Looking for 1 TB drives.