TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.82 average.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #241
Bytez

This is lame of them to insert ads.
Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #242
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post
Can someone point me to instructions on how to use the quick clear code? I seem to just end up triggering and selecting the ads rather than deleting them. Thanks
The SPSPS code is one of the trickiest codes to enter. You need to find a program in the My Shows list that has a star ad when you pause. If the program you are trying to use doesn't have a star ad, the code will likely not take.
If you still have trouble, go into Showcases and see if there is a video ad there. If there is, play it and then enter the code. This is the most surefire way to enter the code and have it take.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #243
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
what? it [the status bar] stays on for a good 5-10 seconds if you hit play.
Nope. I thought the same thing a while back and was quickly corrected.
The Roamios do not behave the same as the earlier models in this regard.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #244
moyekj

Quote:
what? it stays on for a good 5-10 seconds if you hit play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Just tried it right now on Roamio Pro and it stays up for about 3 seconds after selecting Play, which is still plenty of time to read it (I actually wish it would be shorter).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #245
alleybj

Quote:
The SPSPS code is one of the trickiest codes to enter. You need to find a program in the My Shows list that has a star ad when you pause. If the program you are trying to use doesn't have a star ad, the code will likely not take.
If you still have trouble, go into Showcases and see if there is a video ad there. If there is, play it and then enter the code. This is the most surefire way to enter the code and have it take.
Got it. Thanks
alleybj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #246
javabird

These ads never really bothered me in the past, until lately. Every time I pause a show I see a popup for "Rosemary's Baby". I don't mind the ads for Bounty paper towels or Mother's Day flowers, which were innocuous, but I'm really starting to find the continual Rosemary's Baby ads offensive (and in poor taste, IMO).
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #247
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Got it. I'm still on Premieres

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Just tried it right now on Roamio Pro and it stays up for about 3 seconds after selecting Play, which is still plenty of time to read it (I actually wish it would be shorter).
Thanks for checking. 3 seconds is plenty long enough to check position.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #248
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
I think he's talking about over the long run, if you get lifetime vs perpetually paying monthly as is case with cable company, and I think he also factors in selling older units on eBay to recover some of the up front cost when upgrading to new models, etc. i.e. It CAN be cheaper over the long run, but that depends on several factors and won't apply to everyone. I always tell people that you shouldn't consider TiVo simply if your only goal is to save money, I say consider TiVo if you want a better experience than your cable company DVR can provide.
sure, but for the average user - aka my parents who didn't want to front $700 for a DVR all at once - it's the same cost a month.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #249
AdManTheLabRat

We Find ALL TiVo Adds Unaccebtably Annoying

We lease our TiVo boxes from RCN and we pay RCN a premium for this service. Our RCN Premium Quad4 Tuning DVR did not show any adds. We upgrade to the TiVo service so we could play YouTube and NetFlix videos on our TV (It took several years for RCN to drop BluckBoster and provide NetFlix). Now that we got a new TV with an HDMI port we added ChromeCast. Since we already had and still have a NetFlix streaming account. We are going to vote with our Dollar$, we too are at the "Thin Mint Line". Since we have the option to downgrade back to a Quad4 Tuning DVR and after being with TiVo for 2+ years we are now seriously considering that either TiVo ditches ANY & ALL ADS or lose our revenue forever. Dropping the Premium TiVo service will save us money. Foolishly we thought we were paying a PREMIUM for NO ADS. The ball is in TiVo's court now and the clock is ticking...
AdManTheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #250
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdManTheLabRat View Post
Dropping the Premium TiVo service will save us money.
Life is a compromise. And every decision contains trade-offs. I'll pay more for valet parking, but not have to walk a mile to get my car. Or pay $50/bag, and not have to schlep it on the plane. Or save money by not paying for cable, Internet, TVs or anything consumer electronic related. But forgo the pleasures they bring. Everything is a trade-off.

So... does the benefit of having a TiVo as your DVR outweigh the cost? If it doesn't, drop it.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #251
aaronwt
HD Addict

Any Ads on the Tivos are not going away. They have been there for many years so I see no reason why they would go away. At least they are unobtrusive. They have never been in my face or prevented me from doing anything on my TiVos. And I have also received coupons for products that my GF has used. And also if you consider the Discover Bar as advertising. Then I have found shows over the years from the Discovery bar that I would have otherwise not encountered.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #252
b_scott
TiVo Fan

unless you use the QCC, the ads are right in your face every time you pause.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #253
moyekj

And even with QCC (SPSPS) set which I use, the "keep or delete" prompt is affected by a second or two populating some stupid commercial as part of the dialog before it becomes functional, which I hardly consider unobtrusive.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #254
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
unless you use the QCC, the ads are right in your face every time you pause.
The entire screen could be an ad and over 95% of the time it wouldn't matter in my use. Since when I pause it is because I am doing something else and not looking at the tv.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #255
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The entire screen could be an ad and over 95% of the time it wouldn't matter in my use. Since when I pause it is because I am doing something else and not looking at the tv.
I'm still looking at the screen when I pause, even for a brief moment. So yeah, the ad "matters." That's why they put it there.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #256
FitzAusTex

Clearly everyone makes different use of their TVs. I pause for two main reasons. First is because I'm actively stopping my viewing for some period of time. Second is because I want to review some information on the screen more closely (sports scores, fine print, etc). I do the second tens to 100s of times per day. Sorta silly that Tivo made such a pretty thin bar at the bottom to then junk it up with the pause ads. Aesthetically the new thinner pause ads are not nearly as ugly as the old ones, but it is still jarring to so randomly have these appear.

From a premium product perspective, I find them offensive. They remind me of the free apps on my phone, and I hate ads on my phone apps, so I pay for ad-free version. Pretty sure I'd gladly pay for an ad-free version of tivo.

I realize they are not going away, and are actually becoming more prevalent. Since they're here to stay, I at least am happier that they are advertising TV shows, because that seems more germain to a dvr than offering me $1 off Bounty and Charmin for the 10,000 time.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #257
jrtroo
User

I don't see how they are more prevalent, how so? You are welcome to be offended, but it is what it is. Nothing new here, as described a million times in this thread.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #258
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Half the time I pause, it's because I want to look at a still frame of the picture.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #259
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I don't see how they are more prevalent, how so? You are welcome to be offended, but it is what it is. Nothing new here, as described a million times in this thread.
When they displayed offering coupons or product discounts, they were showing up maybe on 5 to 10% of the programs I was watching. For the 2 week period prior to mothers day, they were on 100% of every program I tuned to. Lately since they've begun ads for tv shows, I'd say they're on 30 to 40% of the programs I watch, which I consider more prevalent than the previous 5 to 10%. (and I wonder if the networks are going to intervene when the tivo shows an ad for a Showtime show on an HBO channel. I've seen many instances of ads for competing networks this past month)

Last edited by FitzAusTex : 06-10-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #260
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
When they displayed offering coupons or product discounts, they were showing up maybe on 5 to 10% of the programs I was watching. For the 2 week period prior to mothers day, they were on 100% of every program I tuned to. Lately since they've begun ads for tv shows, I'd say they're on 30 to 40% of the programs I watch, which I consider more prevalent than the previous 5 to 10%. (and I wonder if the networks are going to intervene when the tivo shows an ad for a Showtime show on an HBO channel. I've seen many instances of ads for competing networks this past month)
I see, your context is very small. The frequency over time is similar to that which I have seen on a Premiere and a THD over 3 and 5 years previously.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #261
FitzAusTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I see, your context is very small. The frequency over time is similar to that which I have seen on a Premiere and a THD over 3 and 5 years previously.
So tivo bounces from 5 to 10% up to 30 to 40% back to 5 to 10% and at holidays up to 100%? Guess I'll just have to deal with it as long as I keep their service.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #262
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Half the time I pause, it's because I want to look at a still frame of the picture.
Less than 5% of the time for me. And even if an ad is is the way. I just need to hit down on the D-Pad and it will be gone for the rest of the recording.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #263
dbattaglia001

I much prefer a few pop-up ads here and there (that are easy to ignore / clear) than the alternative of a higher cost to the service.
dbattaglia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #264
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Pause-Left-Clear to delete

Quote:
the "keep or delete" prompt is affected by a second or two populating some stupid commercial before it becomes functional
To avoid the ad, I've gotten into the habit of pressing Replay a few times when the "keep or delete" dialog pops up then Pause-Left-Clear to delete the program. This has become such a routine part of my "muscle memory" that the ads don't bother me -- because I don't see them!
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #265
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattaglia001 View Post
I much prefer a few pop-up ads here and there (that are easy to ignore / clear) than the alternative of a higher cost to the service.
And I'm saddened that it's presented as an either-or choice that we essentially have no say in. TiVo *could* choose to make less money and protect the overall user experience, in order to earn a better reputation for having a superior product, which could (ostensibly) eventually increase their number of subscribers...

But obviously that ship has sailed. Seems to me like TiVo's grasping at straws and doing whatever they can to make an easy buck any way they can slice it.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #266
Bytez

They should lower the fees if they decide to show ads!!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:09 AM   #267
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Gotta love a good dead horse beating, Tivo doesn't care.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #268
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I doubt TiVo cares and I doubt they're even reading here. Yet we vent and commiserate because it makes us feel better. Don't like it? No ones forcing you to read it.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #269
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Sure, especially Tivo. If they cared what we think they would've never started them in the first place, or they would've offered a higher-priced set of plans that were ad-free. Along with the ability to get rid of the worthless Discovery Bar, natch.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #270
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Indeed. One of TiVo's biggest blunders ever was introducing a Discovery Bar that relied on an internet connection for refreshed ad content. And with a intermittent or broken internet connection, the DVR's entire UI was slow and/or non-functional. WTF were they thinking? Usually when people's internet goes down at home, the first distraction they turn to is the TV.