TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
midas
I heard that

Question RE Moca and Service Call

Before we moved I had MOCA running just fine. But after the move it wouldn't work. I kind of ignored it for a while, but this weekend decided to investigate a little to see if I could get it working. I've got 1 Roamio Pro with 2 Minis. One Mini I've been able to run a CAT5 cable to and it works fine. Unfortunately the other one, my only real option is ethernet over powerline. For the most part it works, but it still stutters at times and other times it completely disconnects. Since this is the TV in the living room where my wife spends 16 hours a day, I've got to get this fixed.

What I found out is that, of the 3 outlets I have in the apartment, only 1 of them actually works. I just got lucky that the first one I tried was working. I live in a fairly large apartment building with about 120 apartments. I know we talked about this earlier and it was said that it's likely that there is one cable run from the entry point of the building to each apartment and then the signal is likely spit within the apartment.

When I first had trouble with MOCA I took apart all the outlets to look for a splitter, but I never found one. Now, considering none of the other outlets work, that's not shocking. But I didn't notice any outlets that had other wires either. I admit I didn't look that close, but it seems it would have been pretty obvious.

So Comcast is coming out Monday. I told the guy on the phone that the outlets didn't work because I was thinking of moving my box around. But I'm not sure that's going to be good enough when the tech gets here.

So what can I do to get things working? I'm thinking, maybe, asking about installing that X1 crap they have. Am I right in assuming that also works on MOCA? If it does, and they get it working, I could always cancel it after it's installed. It might cost me a few $$$ to keep it for a few days. But it would be worth it to get it working. My only other option is probably 100 feet of CAT5 cable, which would be ugly.
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
So what can I do to get things working? I'm thinking, maybe, asking about installing that X1 crap they have. Am I right in assuming that also works on MOCA? If it does, and they get it working, I could always cancel it after it's installed. It might cost me a few $$$ to keep it for a few days. But it would be worth it to get it working.
Yes, that is exactly what I would do. If they get the coax wiring good enough so that their whole home DVR can stream to all the other boxes at the other coax outlets, then that should be plenty good for your own MoCA network to work on. Just make sure when you sign up for the X1 service that you are able to cancel at any time without penalty, so you won't be stuck with it for some commitment period.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:58 AM   #3
midas
I heard that

I just haven't been able to find any confirmation that X1 uses MOCA. Logic tells me they wouldn't rely on WiFi, but who knows. That's what DirecTV is using for their wireless slave boxes.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
I just haven't been able to find any confirmation that X1 uses MOCA. Logic tells me they wouldn't rely on WiFi, but who knows. That's what DirecTV is using for their wireless slave boxes.
Maybe this helps?

-----
They rely totally on IP (MoCA) networking from the main DVR and the DVR's tuners to do all TV functions.
-----

Info here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17173
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
midas
I heard that

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
midas
I heard that

OK, figured I'd followup just in case someone else might benefit.

Comcast tech came out and confirmed the first outlet I showed him wasn't working. He then asked me if I knew where the cable junction was. I didn't understand why, but he went downstairs and checked something.

When he came back up I sort of mentioned that I didn't think it made much sense to have 3 runs from downstairs. He confirmed that there was only one but didn't explain why he went down there anyway.

He pulled the plate of the non-working outlet, I guess to confirm there was a wire hooked up. Then he pulled the plate off the working outlet. I know I pulled all the outlet plates, but he started yanking on the wire of the working one much harder than I would have felt comfortable doing.

Here's where it gets fuzzy for me. There was indeed a splitter there, but it was only a 2 way. I saw that and asked him if that seemed odd considering we had 3 outlets in the apartment. He agreed and started yanking on more wires. I couldn't even tell for sure if the splitter was connected to the working outlet or not.

He then asked me if I knew whether U-Verse had ever been hooked up in the apartment. I told him that I knew that the previous tenant used U-Verse. He explained that AT&T used the coax wiring and ran a straight line from the living room to the back bedroom and that's why neither of those rooms worked with the cable.

Anyway, now it's working. I'll be curious to see if they charge me for the service call. They never mentioned it, but honestly, it wouldn't be unfair.