TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
timhbtr53

Looking for a board, TCD648250B

Tivo S3 TCD648250B main board that is unsubbed and working. If you have a S3 that has a dead power supply or bad hard drive with a good main board that you would like to sale please let me know. Thanks Tim.
timhbtr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
timhbtr53

Board found and unit is now fixed and subbed lifetime. This would be impossible without SMD rework station. Thanks for all the help I got from a few new friends. Now if I could close this post. Thanks everyone. Tim in baton rouge....
Old 06-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
HerronScott

What was bad on your mainboard (just curious)?

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhbtr53 View Post
Board found and unit is now fixed and subbed lifetime. This would be impossible without SMD rework station. Thanks for all the help I got from a few new friends. Now if I could close this post. Thanks everyone. Tim in baton rouge....
Hope you remembered to transplant board into case with same TSN as crypto chip to avoid future confusion.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
What was bad on your mainboard (just curious)?

Scott
see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=517737
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #6
timhbtr53

Herron, the board would not received any RF from cable or OTA. It had a broke cap when I got it "The person I got it from did not put a screw in the drive cage" and it removed a cap. I tried a new cap with no luck so I found a unsubed s3 for free in craigslist and got my SMD station and pulled the crypto chip out of the bad board and floated it on the new one and now every thing is 100%. And yes unitron I put it back in the first case so the TSN would be right, but thanks for the remainder. Now I have 5 WD drives that a friend sent me to change out a SMD chip on the controller board so I guess that will take up about 10 min's of my day. Once again thanks everyone for all the great info. Have a great week ahead I plan on staying in the A/C it's going to be in the upper 90's all week again.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:15 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Herron, the board would not received any RF from cable or OTA. It had a broke cap when I got it "The person I got it from did not put a screw in the drive cage" and it removed a cap. I tried a new cap with no luck so I found a unsubed s3 for free in craigslist and got my SMD station and pulled the crypto chip out of the bad board and floated it on the new one and now every thing is 100%. And yes unitron I put it back in the first case so the TSN would be right, but thanks for the remainder. Now I have 5 WD drives that a friend sent me to change out a SMD chip on the controller board so I guess that will take up about 10 min's of my day. Once again thanks everyone for all the great info. Have a great week ahead I plan on staying in the A/C it's going to be in the upper 90's all week again.
We need to get you into the power supply repair business.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
timhbtr53

Unitron, IF you know of anyone that needs a caps replaced on power supply that does not feel comfortable doing it their self just get them to PM me and if they will pay shipping here and back and parts I will do it for them. I got all the equipment to take care of it. The last one I did took less then 15 min's. I can do SMD to replace caps on PCB. Two Weller soldering stations two hot air SMD rework stations plus all the other misc stuff oscilloscopes and other stuff "To much according to wife"... Now if I could get my hands on some schematics on the TiVo's that would be nice.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:01 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Unitron, IF you know of anyone that needs a caps replaced on power supply that does not feel comfortable doing it their self just get them to PM me and if they will pay shipping here and back and parts I will do it for them. I got all the equipment to take care of it. The last one I did took less then 15 min's. I can do SMD to replace caps on PCB. Two Weller soldering stations two hot air SMD rework stations plus all the other misc stuff oscilloscopes and other stuff "To much according to wife"... Now if I could get my hands on some schematics on the TiVo's that would be nice.
Is it you or squint that lives in "Red Stick"?*

'Cause he's offering to do the same thing as well.

And that makes it nice to have more than one.

But I figure the closer to home I can offer someone one of you, the more comfortable they'll be about the whole thing.

Omikron (in Philly) from the other site which may not be named here just posted that he's getting out of doing power supplies, so that's the only "up north" source I knew about.

*Baton Rouge, LA

Old 06-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
squint

I'm in Sacramento, the armpit of the nation.

I thought Omikron stopped servicing power supplies years ago and also ceased doing PROM mods.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
I'm in Sacramento, the armpit of the nation.

I thought Omikron stopped servicing power supplies years ago and also ceased doing PROM mods.
Turns out it's timhbtr53 who's cajun flavored, not you.

But at least now I've "got a guy" on the Left Coast and another Down South to whom I can refer the people who want me to fix their supplies, in addition to the guy in Raleigh.

I got Omikron hooked up with a member here about a year and half ago when she had to be in Philly for something else anyway, and that was the last I'd heard from him until he posted this the other day

"Been getting a couple inquiries asking if I'm still doing this. I am, but I won't be re-ordering parts once I exhaust existing inventory of capacitors. I may even consider just selling off the capacitor kits if anyone wants to do the soldering themselves. :-)

Once I discontinue this service I will be making a post in this thread, so if you don't see me state otherwise, it's still active."

in a thread "over there".

Old 06-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
I tried to answer your PM and got

Invalid recipient username

for whatever reason, so here's what I said:

I'm not in the business, I just fix my own stuff.

But I've had people contact me because of my posts here wanting me to fix their power supplies.

I considered it, but I'm not really in a position to guarantee my work* or spare whatever model TiVo is needed for testing my work.

*If there's one power supply out there with a component other than one of those caps that's going to go bad, I'm sure I'd get it to fix and it'd go bad just as soon as I returned the recapped unit to the customer and they put it back in their TiVo, which means I'd have to disassemble the thing, tracing circuits as I go, drawing up a schematic, and then analyze the whole thing to figure out what wasn't working and then hope it was something I could find a replacement for--for example, if the transformer went bad, I'm sure it was a custom design for that power supply model, and I doubt the company has any left in stock after all these years, so I'd have to find another supply to cannibalize.

So I'm pleased when I can find someone who seems to know what they're doing to point these people towards.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
timhbtr53

Yes Sir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I tried to answer your PM and got

Invalid recipient username

for whatever reason, so here's what I said:

I'm not in the business, I just fix my own stuff.

But I've had people contact me because of my posts here wanting me to fix their power supplies.

I considered it, but I'm not really in a position to guarantee my work* or spare whatever model TiVo is needed for testing my work.

*If there's one power supply out there with a component other than one of those caps that's going to go bad, I'm sure I'd get it to fix and it'd go bad just as soon as I returned the recapped unit to the customer and they put it back in their TiVo, which means I'd have to disassemble the thing, tracing circuits as I go, drawing up a schematic, and then analyze the whole thing to figure out what wasn't working and then hope it was something I could find a replacement for--for example, if the transformer went bad, I'm sure it was a custom design for that power supply model, and I doubt the company has any left in stock after all these years, so I'd have to find another supply to cannibalize.

So I'm pleased when I can find someone who seems to know what they're doing to point these people towards.
I do the same thing, I will trace out as much as I can but sometimes some of the company's use off brand parts and you can't find any info on it you know its a cap but on some SMD they like to remove the numbers or better than that one that's burnt. Nothing like the smell of components burning in the morning.

Last edited by timhbtr53 : 06-13-2014 at 01:06 PM.