TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #31
whiteshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Certainly the ebay codes are less of a deal if you aren't getting lifetime or throwing in a Mini or 2. BUT you are only taking into account the first month of service, and so you are still better off using the code to get the lower monthly service fee going forward. Also, I'm not sure why your estimated sales tax for using the code is higher than the sales tax from buying through Amazon, when the unit price used to calculate sales tax is actually higher under Amazon.
I need to cancel the service on the defunct TivoHD, and I think they're going to jack up the new monthly service fee on the Roamio since I'll lose the multi-unit discount (this according to the rep I chatted with). With the coupon code, would that price have been locked in regardless of my current plan, or would they still have raised it?

The sales tax IS weird. If you go through TiVo's site and calculate CA sales tax it's 13%; Amazon charges 9% which is the correct rate. Why is TiVo charging so much extra for sales tax?
whiteshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #32
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshaft View Post
I need to cancel the service on the defunct TivoHD, and I think they're going to jack up the new monthly service fee on the Roamio since I'll lose the multi-unit discount (this according to the rep I chatted with). With the coupon code, would that price have been locked in regardless of my current plan, or would they still have raised it?
Yes, if you deactivate the HD, you will lose the multi-service discount monthly rate and will be paying $15/month for service, but the monthly service rate discount you get by using the code would be unaffected by deactivating the HD. That's another reason why using the ebay code would be a better deal.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #33
whiteshaft

LOL, I don't suppose there's a code just for the monthly rate is there? Or a discount on purchasing lifetime after buying a box?
whiteshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #34
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshaft View Post
LOL, I don't suppose there's a code just for the monthly rate is there? Or a discount on purchasing lifetime after buying a box?
No, at least not that I am aware of.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #35
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Then you are doing something wrong. If you use one of the ebay codes, these are the prices you will pay:

http://sellmoretivo.com/
At least I'm still ahead with getting my ROamio BAsic from TiVo with my $6.95 service transferred. The break even period is around 4 years.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #36
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I hope not if cloud service is anything like VOD or streaming is now, even with Netflix FF is a pain and with streaming you would not be able to skip ads, that would be a real bummer for me.
Agreed. Not being able to skip commercials is a very real possibility. They've shown it can be done and they are already doing it on some VOD content. I put up with it on occasion when there's no other choice, but I would absolutely hate VOD and streaming on a daily basis.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #37
chicagobrownblue

As far as financials go, TIVO is in pretty good shape:

1) Cash and Short Term Investments 1,002.47 in millions

2) Price target at Goldman Sachs of $14 with a neutral rating ($12.41 Friday close)

3) 271.82 million in net income for the year ending 1/31/2014 (up from losses in prior years)

So TIVO is as good as it is going to get as a business and I believe the subscription part of the business is very profitable.
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote