TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
anthonymoody

Is this really it?

Not trolling. I'm a Roamio Plus/Mini owner. Mostly happy, and the hardware and software and iOS apps do more or less what I understood them to do.

However, I'm surprised that not a single meaningful app has been added. Still no Amazon streaming, no Vudu, etc. Maybe I expected (way) too much from the opera App Store.

And look, if this really is it, I don't regret the purchases. I just would've hoped for more.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

The advice for any device is to buy it for what it can do today. You could also add your voice to whatever apps you want ported to the service provider, as it is not like Tivo is writing them for third parties anymore.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
bunjicat

I couldn't agree more. Tivo has the potential to lock this thing up. Creating a Roku box with live tv and recording is the finish line IMHO. I haven't given up hope yet. Tivo CEO seems to get it. Now lets hope there is follow through. Interview from last weeks Recode

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000278469
bunjicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
jwbelcher

It would've been awesome had they bought Roku instead of integrating Opera. That would've added meaningful OTT apps. Also kind of interesting was my WDTV Live got a few new (quality) apps around Christmas. Not sure how they got that to happen; I would've thought their user base would be less than TiVos. I'd say at this point even WD has TiVo beat on apps.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I have no doubt we are building a very, very, strong strategic asset and to the extent the best interest of shareholders are served by providing an exit through acquisition from a strategic player who sees the fundamental uniqueness of what we’ve created, obviously that will get all the consideration it deserves.
Tom Rogers, TiVo CEO

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-05/...gers-tivo-ceo/
Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
It would've been awesome had they bought Roku instead of integrating Opera. That would've added meaningful OTT apps. Also kind of interesting was my WDTV Live got a few new (quality) apps around Christmas. Not sure how they got that to happen; I would've thought their user base would be less than TiVos. I'd say at this point even WD has TiVo beat on apps.
Even Amazon couldn't buy Roku. Well at least ROku didn't accept their offer. I don't see how TiVo could have done any better in trying to buy Roku.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #7
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Even Amazon couldn't buy Roku. Well at least ROku didn't accept their offer. I don't see how TiVo could have done any better in trying to buy Roku.
Considering the guy running the joint created ReplayTV; its doubtful any offer would've been accepted from TiVo. Yes, he still seems just a bit bitter, but he did learn a thing or two about product pricing from the experience.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
news4me2

I think we would all be better served if ROKU bought TiVo...
news4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

The opera App Store needs more users to attract top quality developers. Even with the addition of Tivos to the user base, it's likely that there simply aren't enough eyeballs. I mean, c'mon... The opera brand itself is virtually unknown to the masses. Then you have different kinds of devices, so your UI Design and features of your app have to be kind of generic.

They are promising 'big things' in the next update. I hope that doesn't mean 2 more screens you almost never access in HD and the updated (Romaio) user interface on Minis. It's what, a font change and a couple things are colored differently?

I wish they'd get rid of using flash to drive then menus/guide. Flash is always inefficient, and it shows... And flash is dying/dead. I don't know if the old way the SD menus are coded or HTML5 code or stripping all the crap/layers away and writing code that talks straight to the hardware would be the best way, but after all these years you'd think someone at Tivo would have the skills and knowlege to do so.

A six pack of coders on tech visas locked in a room for six months could cook up a much more efficient solution. I've seen other companies I've worked for do it!
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
telemark

Opera was more popular in Europe. Tivo's an american brand though, so kinda different user bases.

I think Opera TV is doing well given its age. But the fact that Tivo had to use a 3rd party technology instead of having a rich app platform to be kinda sad.

(not knocking the HME devs there, but rather was a demonstration of what was possible despite the artificial hurdles from Tivo)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #11
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by news4me2 View Post
I think we would all be better served if ROKU bought TiVo...
Being that streaming tech changes more often than DVR tech,do you really want a Tivo in 10 years with an obsolete streamer built in. In 10 years a person could easily go through 3 rokus, 3 apple tv's, etc.
Tivo needs to go beyond the built in streamer idea.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Being that streaming tech changes more often than DVR tech,do you really want a Tivo in 10 years with an obsolete streamer built in. In 10 years a person could easily go through 3 rokus, 3 apple tv's, etc.
Tivo needs to go beyond the built in streamer idea.
If you ask anyone who really is involved in tech who is more likely to be "around" or relevant in 10 years it's likely that you will get a lot more people saying Roku than TiVo.

I agree with what others said, buy the box for what it does today not what it may do in a year or three.

The fact that TiVo can't get more partners to stream to a box that is more than capable of doing it simply shows that many in the tech industry have already written TiVo off entirely.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
Considering the guy running the joint created ReplayTV; its doubtful any offer would've been accepted from TiVo. Yes, he still seems just a bit bitter, but he did learn a thing or two about product pricing from the experience.
Yes, too bad emotions sway decisions like these. Even a licensing of the Roku libraries would be enough. They are both Linux based systems, and having a thin hardware interface layer between the Roku software and the Tivo hardware would make it possible to update the Roku bits without replacing the hardware.

Another thing that might have been....

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
anthonymoody

Maybe one day someone in the know will write a tell all for how and why all this did (or didn't) go down.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #15
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
If you ask anyone who really is involved in tech who is more likely to be "around" or relevant in 10 years it's likely that you will get a lot more people saying Roku than TiVo.

I agree with what others said, buy the box for what it does today not what it may do in a year or three.

The fact that TiVo can't get more partners to stream to a box that is more than capable of doing it simply shows that many in the tech industry have already written TiVo off entirely.
Roku's don't record, streaming on demand will never be as big as some of it's supporters would have you believe.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #16
seattlewendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Roku's don't record, streaming on demand will never be as big as some of it's supporters would have you believe.
What are you smoking? Netflix US user base is already past 33 Million. Tivo US numbers peaked at 4.4 million in 2006

and that's just Netflix. Total streaming can't even see Tivo from where it is now.
"never be as big"? Put the pipe down.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #17
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlewendell View Post
What are you smoking? Netflix US user base is already past 33 Million. Tivo US numbers peaked at 4.4 million in 2006 and that's just Netflix. Total streaming can't even see Tivo from where it is now. "never be as big"? Put the pipe down.
I think you'd have to add in all the cable and satellite DVRs as well to make it a fair comparison, if even that would make it more fair. I have no idea myself.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

Comparing apples to apples there should easily more DVR users than Netflix has streamers. Since isn't the number of DVR users around 50% now?
Old 06-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #19
chrispitude

Until Roku provides a DVR experience equal to or greater than the Roamio, this is a meaningless apples-to-orange comparison.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #20
telemark

Quote:
Comparing apples to apples there should easily more DVR users than Netflix has streamers. Since isn't the number of DVR users around 50% now?
This has some good numbers, but might require a calculator and Venn diagram.
http://www.leichtmanresearch.com/pre...13release.html

Random Googling:
Comcast X1, 7Million triple play customers
Roku has shipped 8Million boxes
AppleTV has shipped 12Million, world wide.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #21
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Streaming sucks. Period. If that were my only choice, I'd be severely depressed. I'm sure the Advertisers would LOVE it if we switched over to an all streaming system though. That way they could force us to watch their commercials like they do on VOD. I would hope people would be smarter than that... but we will see. Sounds like a lot of people think that's where we are going and seem fine with it... Boggles the mind.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #22
squint

I agree that streaming sucks and if "they" had their way we would not only be forced to watch commercials but we would have to pass a quiz to prove we paid attention to the commercial before being allowed to watch.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #23
anthonymoody

When (not if) all movies and tv shows are available to stream on demand at any time it will be a far superior experience to DVRs, TiVo or otherwise.

If you think that will never happen, you're simply wrong.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #24
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
When (not if) all movies and tv shows are available to stream on demand at any time it will be a far superior experience to DVRs, TiVo or otherwise.

If you think that will never happen, you're simply wrong.
I think it probably will happen. Not because it's better but because it will make more money for advertisers and content providers. You don't think they HATE that we can skip commercials? Remember how hard they fought against VCRs and lost? Guess what? Politicians are so easily bought and paid for now, that next time they will probably win... Then we'll have to live through a very long period of time where we are once again forced to watch commercials. Welcome back to the sixties.

If you think it's superior to having a DVR then you're simply wrong. A system based entirely on the Cloud is going to suck in SO many ways, and I can't believe people are too short sighted or naive to see where it's headed.

Last edited by bareyb : 06-08-2014 at 04:01 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #25
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
If you think it's superior to having a DVR then you're simply wrong. A system based entirely on the Cloud is going to suck in SO many ways, and I can't believe people are too short sighted or naive to see where it's headed.
+1000. I'm amazed how many people actually enjoy something like Hulu+ which not only has subscription fees but you get forced to watch commercials as well. If that's the model of future TV I want no part of it. I'm OK with the Netflix model since streaming quality is pretty good and no forced commercials as of yet. But any serious TV watching I much prefer the DVR model where I have much more control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
+1000. I'm amazed how many people actually enjoy something like Hulu+ which not only has subscription fees but you get forced to watch commercials as well. If that's the model of future TV I want no part of it. I'm OK with the Netflix model since streaming quality is pretty good and no forced commercials as of yet. But any serious TV watching I much prefer the DVR model where I have much more control.
Hulu + came in handy today for my GF and I. We are still in the process of watching Law and order SVU episodes and one of them was messed up. I think from back when I was messing with my MoCA connection. Anyway the FiOS recording had glitches and I had already deleted my OTA backup. So Hulu+ came in handy for watching the episode. Sure there were a few minutes of commercials. But it was certainly better than having to pay $3 for the episode from Amazon, Vudu, or XBL.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #27
moyekj

Quote:
So Hulu+ came in handy for watching the episode. Sure there were a few minutes of commercials. But it was certainly better than having to pay $3 for the episode from Amazon, Vudu, or XBL.
Reinforces my point - many people (you included) will gladly pay for such services and tolerate the commercials. That's not a model I'll embrace.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Reinforces my point - many people (you included) will gladly pay for such services and tolerate the commercials. That's not a model I'll embrace.
Hulu + isnt a service I use on a regular basis . But it has come in handy when I had some kind of an issue. I had actually planned on dropping it but never got around to it. I don't use it much. The last time I used it prior to today, was to watch some episodes of Zero Hour.

For instance today, it was a quick way to watch the SVU episode. But depending on the show, I would pay the $3 for the episode from Amazon, Vudu, or XBL.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #29
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Hulu + isnt a service I use on a regular basis . But it has come in handy when I had some kind of an issue. I had actually planned on dropping it but never got around to it. I don't use it much. The last time I used it prior to today, was to watch some episodes of Zero Hour.

For instance today, it was a quick way to watch the SVU episode. But depending on the show, I would pay the $3 for the episode from Amazon, Vudu, or XBL.
Let me ask you this. How would you like it if the Hulu model was the only choice available to you? Not much I'd guess since you "don't use it on a regular basis". That's the point we are trying to make. It may be "fine" as a last resort, but if all indicators are correct, what you are tolerating today for the sake of convenience will one day be the only choice you have. Is that what you want??? I didn't think so... and yet, people are being led here like sheep to the slaughter. It's already started. You don't think they are gauging interest and outrage right now? It's one or two commercials today, but mark my words, once they lock it down, the price will skyrocket and there will be 5 minutes of commercials for every 15 minutes of programming, just like it is right now. Possibly more since they will have you held hostage.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Let me ask you this. How would you like it if the Hulu model was the only choice available to you? Not much I'd guess since you "don't use it on a regular basis". That's the point we are trying to make. It may be "fine" as a last resort, but if all indicators are correct, what you are tolerating today for the sake of convenience will one day be the only choice you have. Is that what you want??? I didn't think so... and yet, people are being led here like sheep to the slaughter. It's already started. You don't think they are gauging interest and outrage right now? It's one or two commercials today, but mark my words, once they lock it down, the price will skyrocket and there will be 5 minutes of commercials for every 15 minutes of programming, just like it is right now. Possibly more since they will have you held hostage.
If that happened then i would quickly drop Hulu+ and just pay the money per episode. I don't the occasional commercial. But not 20 minutes an hour worth.

And if the only option is to watch with 20 minutes of commercials. Then that will be a show I won't be watching anymore.

Last edited by aaronwt : 06-08-2014 at 07:07 PM.