TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #31
Scooterj

Angry

I was watching the Rays/Twins game today my roamio rebooted. this MLB TV thing is becoming a joke. I know MLB TV is having trouble on many devices but it is terrible on my Roamio. i have a Roku 3 and there has been problems on that but not as bad as my Roamio. MLB has a major problem this year with the MLB tv. I am glad I have a monthly subscription because if things do not get fixed soon I will cancel it. Last year MLB Tv was awesome this year it looks like a bunch of 5th graders are running their software.
Scooterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #32
shemmy

Well, mlb.tv just rebooted me into an extended update. Luckily I also have an AppleTV so I can watch a game while the Tivo takes an hour plus to update and reboot. Lots of great things about the Tivo, but this is a disaster.
shemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #33
sneagle
Addicted Member

I have had few issues with mlb.tv until this weekend. During Sunday's game, my Tivo Mini rebooted. I've had a few freezes prior to that.

My biggest gripe is that rewinding and fast forwarding blacks out the screen. Not sure if this intentional or a flaw in the programming.
sneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #34
rassi

I haven't had an "overall" box reboot with MLB.tv, but the app has caused several lockups several times, bad enough I had to reboot it myself (TiVo not responding to any remote input, although indicator lights show up on the remote and the Roamio that the signal is being sent.) Does this count?

I have 20.4.1 btw...
rassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #35
wickerbill

I've pretty much given up on using my tivo roamio to watch MLB.tv. I got my roamio last September and noticed the problem then too and was hoping it would be fixed for the new season. After it crashed my tivo about 50% of the times I've tried using it, I've just gone back to my apple TV. I can't have ten minutes missing in the middle of my recordings because TiVo can't be bothered to put out an app that won't crash the whole machine. Apple TV works great and the mlb app even seems to work on my tivo mini, but it's horrible on my roamio.
wickerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #36
ukwildcat4life

Hey wickerbill.... I've been able to watch some games on both my Roamio and Mini but the quality on both of them are not that great...it locked up my Roamio and Mini each one time causing me to reboot each one.... I also have an apple TV and a Roku so I have been trying to compare all of the devices to determine if its a Tivo problem or an MLB problem....like you I have to agree my apple TV does a much better job; the Roku, however has been even worse than the Tivo's....also last season I was able to watch the games on my Asus Android Tablet and this year it completely crashes the tablet.... I am 100% convinced this problem is an MLB problem since its unstable on a lot of different devices; its just that it seems to be worse on some than others and I've only had my Roamio and been a Tivo customer for about a month and this is a big disappointment because I was hoping the Roamio having the MLB integrated in it would be my one stop for everything but I see now thats not going to happen.... supposedly MLB is aware of these issues and they have said they are going to be fixing things but how and when is a mystery...the whole month of April was pretty much bad quality and I hope with May things will improve otherwise next season I' not going to commit to a whole season until I know things on their end are working right.....
ukwildcat4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #37
ukwildcat4life

Tried watching the Brewers/Cardinals today. Picture looked grainy on the Roamio, Mini, Roku, and Apple TV....there wasn't any buffering, pauses, etc but it completely locked up my Roamio causing me to once again reboot my Roamio just to get back to the Tivo Central Screen.... I'm still convinced this is an MLB TV problem though since its bad on multiple devices. Of all of my devices it seems to work best on the Apple TV so I give up trying to watch a game on my Roamio and Mini.....total disappointment! MLB won't get my $130 next season if they can't do any better than this!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #38
Scooterj

Yeah MLB TV on my Roku 3 is finally working like last year smooth no freezing or buffering. however, on the Tivo Roamio the pic is still grainy, freezing, buffering.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #39
Scooterj

Yeah MLB TV on my Roku 3 is finally working like last year smooth no freezing or buffering. however, on the Tivo Roamio the pic is still grainy, freezing, buffering.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #40
wickerbill

MLB may be having problems, but there is no way tivo should allow a video streaming service be able to crash the entire tivo. This is 100% a tivo issue in creating a system that allows outside services to impact a tivo's number one function: record tv programs.
wickerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #41
ukwildcat4life

wickebill; I hadn't really thought of it that way but I have to agree 100% with what you said....MLB is having all sorts of problems this year on several devices but Tivo shouldn't allow and app from another source to cause the DVR to completely lock up having to reboot it. I just wonder if Tivo is going to do anything about this or bring it to MLB's attention.... I have reported the issues on the MLB Forum but not sure if it will help....MLB rolled out an update for the Roku a couple days ago and it seems to have improved it so lets just hope they will come up with a fix for our Tivo's
Old 05-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #42
ukwildcat4life

Just bumping this thread in hopes some of the moderators will take notice.... I'm still having issues with the MLB App....picture quality is good but the constant freezing, stuttering, pausing, etc continues.....If others are still having these issues continue to post your feedback and keep this thread going in hopes there will be a fix soon..thanks!

Last edited by ukwildcat4life : 05-08-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #43
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwildcat4life View Post
Just bumping this thread in hopes some of the moderators will take notice.... I'm still having issues with the MLB App....picture quality is good but the constant freezing, stuttering, pausing, etc continues.....If others are still having these issues continue to post your feedback and keep this tread going in hopes there will be a fix soon..thanks!
This forum is not affiliated with TiVo. So this thread will not notify them of an issue.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #44
ukwildcat4life

It may not be affiliated but they do check these forums . I called Tivo when these issues with MLB started and the CSR said that she was aware of a thread on their forums so I think it's possible they do monitor them. Whether they do or not I will continue posting until there is a fix.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #45
Scooterj

My MLB TV app on my Roamio is still terrible. Picture is good then bad, freezing, stuttering. I know MLB TV had problems on many devices earlier this season but on roamio it is still bad. I do not even attempt to watch it on my Roamio anymore a complete disappointment. Glad I have a Roku 3 as backup their picture is clear no buffering.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #46
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

I have no problems watching 3-4 games a week on MLB.TV on either my Roamio or my Premiere Elite. I don't know if that shows a problem with particular MLB.TV servers, or whether it's related to network issues.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #47
rassi

Tried to watch MLB.tv tonight on my Roamio - kept freezing. Unwatchable.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:47 AM   #48
ukwildcat4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I have no problems watching 3-4 games a week on MLB.TV on either my Roamio or my Premiere Elite. I don't know if that shows a problem with particular MLB.TV servers, or whether it's related to network issues.
You're one of the lucky ones! the picture quality on both my Roamio and Mini are good but the problems are stuttering, freezing, pausing, etc and it has completely locked up my Roamio and Mini a couple of times forcing me to have to reboot them just to get back to the Tivo Central Screen.....I have been posting on MLB's forum and I can tell ya there are hundreds of unsatisfied customers this year! and the problems are not isolated to just the Tivo's; its on many devices! I think they may have a server overload problem this year or something....MLB has been great the last two seasons for me but this year so far its been a nightmare! Luckily I own an Apple TV and a Roku and between all those devices I can usually manage to get one of them to half way work....the apple tv so far has given me the best quality ....I've only been a Tivo owner for about a month and one of the things that attracted me was the MLB app built into the DVR; I was hoping it would be my one stop solution but until MLB gets things fixed and thats if they do fix the problems I will have to use other devices to view the games on.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #49
synch22

Guys who want to get around blackouts, you can change the dns on the roamio and it works just fine. I am pleased as the device operates better than my ps3 using a dns service.
Previous i was not aware this was possible and used my ps3. I have since canceled mlbtv for now but it does work,
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #50
Scooterj

Looks like Tivo has no plans to fix this terrible MLB Tv app. People pay good money for this and Tivo drops the ball. Way to go Tivo!
Old 05-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #51
ukwildcat4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterj View Post
Looks like Tivo has no plans to fix this terrible MLB Tv app. People pay good money for this and Tivo drops the ball. Way to go Tivo!
I have pretty much given up trying to watch a game on my Roamio and Mini; like you said the picture will start out good but then the quality goes way down, stuttering, pausing, etc.....I have a Roku 2 and an Apple TV and they both are finally streaming the games fine......but MLB has acknowledged on their forum that they are aware of their issues across all the different devices and one moderator told me that they were just now rolling out fixes for these devices so lets hope a fix to the Tivo will come soon....
Old 05-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #52
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I get regular reboots but keep hoping for a fix. I noticed that if you press the info button while watching a game you get a screen with a option to change feed and skip to an inning. I tried to back out since I was watching a live game, but when I pressed clear the machine rebooted. I'd love to read some instructions so I can navigate and use MLB.tv. It's not fixed. Network interruptions cause a kernel panic reboot. However, some people say it works perfectly for them.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #53
rassi

I'll have to try the info button - didn't know you could skip to an inning on the TiVo MLB app. I have that feature with my Roku - didn't know TiVo had it.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #54
humbb

MLB Navigation

I've had pretty good luck with Tivo's MLB TV recently. I admit the navigation is non-intuitive, but I'll try to list here what I've learned mostly through trial and error:
There are three basic screens: (a) the game chooser (Game) screen that you see at startup where you can select Today's games and others using the Calendar; (b) the full screen game view (Full); and the innings screen (Innings) you get when you press Info from Full.

While in Full or Innings, the trick play buttons (replay, advance, pause, play, FF, REW) work as do the long press of replay (to beginning) and advance (to live). If the video freezes, I will try the "to live" long press (or FF) to try to unfreeze ... otherwise I try to restart the game from the Game screen before a reboot occurs.

Here is the non-intuitive tricky part. You can only get to Game by pressing the left-arrow from Full, unless Innings is focused on an inning in the linescore (like after a skip to inning). You must bring the Inning focus back to the left menu to get back to Game (easiest is to do that before going to Full after an inning skip).

You can always get to Full by pressing Zoom, and I usually exit the app by pressing Live TV (you can also do that with a couple of presses by left arrowing out of Game).

That's the basics ... I'm sure I left some things out, but it should help you.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:54 PM   #55
ukwildcat4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
I've had pretty good luck with Tivo's MLB TV recently. I admit the navigation is non-intuitive, but I'll try to list here what I've learned mostly through trial and error:
There are three basic screens: (a) the game chooser (Game) screen that you see at startup where you can select Today's games and others using the Calendar; (b) the full screen game view (Full); and the innings screen (Innings) you get when you press Info from Full.

While in Full or Innings, the trick play buttons (replay, advance, pause, play, FF, REW) work as do the long press of replay (to beginning) and advance (to live). If the video freezes, I will try the "to live" long press (or FF) to try to unfreeze ... otherwise I try to restart the game from the Game screen before a reboot occurs.

Here is the non-intuitive tricky part. You can only get to Game by pressing the left-arrow from Full, unless Innings is focused on an inning in the linescore (like after a skip to inning). You must bring the Inning focus back to the left menu to get back to Game (easiest is to do that before going to Full after an inning skip).

You can always get to Full by pressing Zoom, and I usually exit the app by pressing Live TV (you can also do that with a couple of presses by left arrowing out of Game).

That's the basics ... I'm sure I left some things out, but it should help you.

Good to hear that you're having good luck with the MLB TV app on your Tivo.....the quality on my Roamio Base and Mini are still not up to par.....the pictures quality has been ok for the most part but there are audio pauses and sometimes it rewinds back a few seconds....a couple of times early in the season it completely locked up my Tivo's requiring a reboot ....I've posted and posted on MLB's forum and they have told me a few times that their developers are working on fixes but here we are two months almost into the season and these problems haven't went away. Luckily I have a Roku and Apple TV that I can watch the games on....they pushed out an update for the Roku at the end of April and it seems the most stable device for me, however, I'd love to be able to watch them on my Tivo's......was hoping my Tivo would be the only STB that I'd have to use but not so......Netflix and other apps are working fine just not the MLB app....
Old 05-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #56
Scooterj

MLB TV app is complete junk. The glitches have been fixed on most devices but not The Roamio. Glad I have a Roku 3 to watch the games or I would be really mad. I read MLB TV changed some software this year so maybe it does not work well with the Tivo.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #57
ukwildcat4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterj View Post
MLB TV app is complete junk. The glitches have been fixed on most devices but not The Roamio. Glad I have a Roku 3 to watch the games or I would be really mad. I read MLB TV changed some software this year so maybe it does not work well with the Tivo.
I agree Scooterj....they have fixed some of the devices to where MLB is watchable although I still don't see the quality that was in years past....they definitely haven't addressed the issue with Tivo devices as mine still pauses, skips, rewinds, etc.... I think right now the quality on the Roku is the best but I'd like to do away with all these STB's and only use my Tivo but looks like that won't be happening anytime soon.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #58
humbb

I'm not sure why my results would be different ... I've had no problem watching complete games (and even switching between several games) this weekend with the TiVo app, other than an occasional freeze - no reboots.

Only thing I can think of is I changed my static DNS assignments to Level 3 DNS at 4.2.2.3, 4.2.2.4 and 4.2.2.5 on my Linksys router setup a couple of years ago as recommended by the MLB TV support team. Maybe try that if you haven't?

I'm just grasping right now.
humbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #59
ukwildcat4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbb View Post
I'm not sure why my results would be different ... I've had no problem watching complete games (and even switching between several games) this weekend with the TiVo app, other than an occasional freeze - no reboots.

Only thing I can think of is I changed my static DNS assignments to Level 3 DNS at 4.2.2.3, 4.2.2.4 and 4.2.2.5 on my Linksys router setup a couple of years ago as recommended by the MLB TV support team. Maybe try that if you haven't?

I'm just grasping right now.
I can watch games with my Tivo Roamio and Mini but the quality is not good....early in the season it caused my devices to reboot a few times but that hasn't happened in a while...The problem for me watching on Tivo at the moment is that there are audio pauses, occasional skipping/freezing, and rewinds....I can also go back and forth between games.....an MLB forum Moderator had me change my DNS settings on my router a few weeks ago to google DNS and that really never helped as I could see no noticeable difference....fact is MLB TV has major problems this year across all devices; some they have fixed and others are still waiting such as Tivo so until they announce that they have worked on a fix for Tivo I will have to continue watching on my Roku as its doing really well compared to my Tivo devices.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #60
synch22

Got the rest of then season offer for $50 , I bit.

Don't forget with unblock us you can get locals on your TiVo. As I am typing it just froze haha but usually does OK.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote