TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
tmesser

Dead Roamio hard drive after 4 months - quandary

I purchased a 4-tuner Roamio from Amazon in January. Tonight, I carefully moved it to another room in preparation for painting my living room, and now it won't boot - it remains stuck at "Starting up". It sounds like the hard drive is trying to spin up but can't. This is the 5th TiVo I've owned, and it is the first time I've had a drive die less than three years after purchase. I'm disappointed.

I called TiVo in hopes of a free exchange, but then I was reminded that the full warranty is 90 days, not a year.

My options:

- $49 exchange for a refurb. Ship the defective unit and wait for the new one.

- $199.99 deposit for advance shipment of a refurb, with a $150.99 credit upon receipt of dead unit.

- Replace the drive myself (2TB for <$100). It looks like drive replacements are even easier than they used to be, with the OS on flash now. I'd be voiding the remainder of the parts warranty.

Is there any reason I should take TiVo's deal?
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:03 AM   #2
shannon01

You may want to check out weaknees.com also.
shannon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
squint

If it really is the hard drive that's failed, you may be able to warranty the hard drive with its manufacturer. You would only have to pay shipping, perhaps not even that if they send you a prepaid shipping label.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
telemark

A reason to take the Tivo exchange offer is if it is not the Hard Drive, or if you think the box is going to die before the end of your partial warranty.

What are the front panel LED's doing, specifically, is it reaching the kickstart flashing orange light?
Old 06-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

those all sound like reasonable options to me. If I were not concerned about extra storage space I would just take the refurb. But if I wanted to have more space, I would throw in a 1TB or 2TB drive myself to see if it worked first. Then if not I would pay the fee for the refurb.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
If it really is the hard drive that's failed, you may be able to warranty the hard drive with its manufacturer. You would only have to pay shipping, perhaps not even that if they send you a prepaid shipping label.
Not possible with the OEM drive TiVo uses.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
steinbch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser View Post

I just had a Roamio Plus die on me two weeks ago due to a HD. I told them that since I was a longtime customer I'd like them to waive the $50 fee. They did that without any problems. Based on your signature, I think you could try that as well. Also, the Roamio that they sent me was a brand-new one with all accessories and in the retail box.
steinbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
A reason to take the Tivo exchange offer is if it is not the Hard Drive, or if you think the box is going to die before the end of your partial warranty.

What are the front panel LED's doing, specifically, is it reaching the kickstart flashing orange light?
It is not reaching the flashing orange light. The circular front-panel LED remains green. The internal LED is initially green, then turns off.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
CloudAtlas

Quote:
My options:
- $199.99 deposit for advance shipment of a refurb, with a $150.99 credit upon receipt of dead unit
- Replace the drive myself (2TB for <$100). It looks like drive replacements are even easier than they used to be, with the OS on flash now. I'd be voiding the remainder of the parts warranty.

Your current Roamio has a small 500GB drive (75hrs HD) so consider this an opportunity to upgrade your HD. Amazon has a 3TB WD AV-GP WD30EURS (450hrs HD) for $128. It's a one-time upgrade and well worth it.

Now what if it still doesn't boot *after* replacing the drive? OK, then put the old drive back in and take TiVo up on the $49 exchange. When you get the refurbished unit back swap drives. Now you have a Roamio 3TB with a 500GB HD replacement backup if the new drive should ever crash!

So the costs will be either (assuming $128 3TB upgrade):
  • $ 49 working box
  • $ 79 working box + gain HUGE storage ($128 - $49 refurb cost)
  • $177 working box + gain HUGE storage + 500GB backup replacement ($128 + $49)

If you don't record a lot of programming and won't get near the 75hrs HD limit (TiVo starts deleting shows to gain space as you near 100%) then just go with the advance shipment refurb.

NOTE: I speak from experience as I currently have a Premiere refurb from TiVo with a 2TB WD20EURS HD and the working 320GB HD sitting on a shelf.

The HDMI port went on my original Premiere so I had TiVo advance ship a refurb to me. When the refurb came I swapped out the 2TB from the original broken Premiere into the refurb and put the refurb 320GB on the shelf. I put back the original 320GB into the original broken unit and sent it back to TiVo using the box TiVo provided.

Simple and quick. The "voiding parts warranty" is legalese and TiVo doesn't need to know about the new HD.

Last edited by CloudAtlas : 06-06-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: ended sentence...
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
tmesser

Well, turns out I'm an idiot and didn't realize the Roamio and Mini power supplies are not interchangeable. I had temporarily moved the Roamio into the same room as a Mini, figured the power supplies were the same, and took a shortcut.

So Now the Roamio works fine. I did buy a new drive and will probably go through with the drive upgrade anyway, after doing a drive copy.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
BruceShultes

Quote:
Well, turns out I'm an idiot and didn't realize the Roamio and Mini power supplies are not interchangeable. I had temporarily moved the Roamio into the same room as a Mini, figured the power supplies were the same, and took a shortcut.

So Now the Roamio works fine. I did buy a new drive and will probably go through with the drive upgrade anyway, after doing a drive copy.

Thanks for the help.
Glad you got it working.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote