Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2014, 01:05 AM   #31
Cybernut

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ml View Post
I just did a modified backup and quick restore of a 4TB image in DvrBARS and it worked fine. I'm completely erasing the drive now. I'll try another restore in the morning to double check it.
IF DvrBARS does indeed now successfully backs up drives larger than 2TB, then I suggest you run Clear and Delete Everything (from tivo menu Settings -> Help -> Clear and Delete Everything) which wipes out the customizations you made and resets the TiVo to factory settings. After Clear and Delete Everything finishes, it'll reboot and take you to the guided setp. At this point you need to power down the tivo and take the drive out (unfortunately since you can't get to the menus without going through guided setup and therefore cannot get to restart option under Help menu, this will be an ungraceful shutdown). Then if you use DvrBARS, the resulting image will be a clean copy but I believe it'll somehow still be married to your Tivo motherboard...and anyone else wishing to use the image will need to copy the image to their drive and then first run Clear and Delete everything to actually marry the image to their Tivo motherboard, before they can make recordings.

One thing that may be obvious but worth mentioning, is that the 4TB image isn't going to be universal...it is specific to that Tivo Premiere model. So unless someone has the same Premiere model, the image won't be of use to them (i.e. a 4TB image upgraded from a 320 gig will work only on a 320 gig Premiere...not on the 500 gig or 1TB XL models).

Last edited by Cybernut : 03-27-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Cybernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:00 AM   #32
ggieseke

Quote:
I just did a modified backup and quick restore of a 4TB image in DvrBARS and it worked fine. I'm completely erasing the drive now. I'll try another restore in the morning to double check it.
A truncated or modified backup might work as long as there are no shows in the final media partition, but I can't guarantee anything. It SHOULD be fairly accurate for the first 2TB and after that it's anyone's guess.

Let us know how it goes after the erase and restore.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #33
jmbach

Quote:
The only reservation I have about sharing this image is the possibility of information about my TiVo being on the drive. I started with a factory image, but I had to put it in my machine to perform the OS upgrade. Does TiVo write anything to the disk about my machine? If so, is there a way to remove it? Which partition(s) is the upgraded OS on? Are new premieres shipping with the latest OS? If so, does anyone have a DvrBARS backup of that?
I feel fairly sure that if you do a clear and delete everything first and once it gets to the guided setup pull the plug. Then take the drive and examine block 0. In block 0 you will see some code and ascii characters at the very beginning followed by a bunch of 0x00 then some more code (about the middle of the block) and then 0x00 again. (You may have a few bytes of code at the very end of the block as well but don't worry about them). Overwrite that code you see in the middle of the block with 0x00 and save the changes. That should effectively erase any connection of that image with your TiVo.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #34
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
I feel fairly sure that if you do a clear and delete everything first and once it gets to the guided setup pull the plug. Then take the drive and examine block 0. In block 0 you will see some code and ascii characters at the very beginning followed by a bunch of 0x00 then some more code (about the middle of the block) and then 0x00 again. (You may have a few bytes of code at the very end of the block as well but don't worry about them). Overwrite that code you see in the middle of the block with 0x00 and save the changes. That should effectively erase any connection of that image with your TiVo.
A better option is to pull the plug a few seconds after C&D is selected, that way the image will start off doing a C&D all for the new TiVo and will not have to be re-run to syc up the TSN. I do this all the time between TiVos, saves the new TiVo setup a lot of time.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #35
unitron

Quote:
Are you talking about writing zeros in the truncated backup file or directly to the TiVo hard drive itself before making the backup?

Wouldn't the first thing on the drive be the Apple Partition Map?

Would the TSN be hidden inside that? It's not like Apple planned for it to be there since the APM was around long before TiVos were invented.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #36
jmbach

Writing zeros on the drive.

Block 0 comes first and then the APM.

That area that I am suggesting to zero out is unique to each TiVo, I am not completely sure what it is as I cannot find my notes at this time but I seem to recall that it has something to do with the MAC address. Don't take my word on that. Some one else may have better information than I have at this moment. If I find my notes, then I'll edit this post and clear it up.

The TSN is not hidden in the APM. That I am highly confident of.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #37
ggieseke

The first sector on the drive (sector 0 to us programmer geeks) that jmbach is talking about is known as Block0. The APM starts at sector 1.

I don't think wiping those bytes is enough to clear out the TSN but I could be wrong. On earlier models you had to run a script known as "51 killer" to completely divorce the drive from the motherboard.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:09 PM   #38
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
A better option is to pull the plug a few seconds after C&D is selected, that way the image will start off doing a C&D all for the new TiVo and will not have to be re-run to syc up the TSN. I do this all the time between TiVos, saves the new TiVo setup a lot of time.
I also do this, but slightly differently. I let the C&DE complete, which leads to a reboot when it has finished the C&DE. I make sure to babysit, then pull the plug at that reboot point. Same results, but no waiting for the C&DE on every unit the image goes to afterwards. The next recipient of the drive image made this way will boot normally, without additional wait, and right into guided setup, with no issues. This is great when you intend to share the image with others, or plan to use it on multiple units of your own. It saves time.

As long as you pull the plug between the very first booting welcome screen, and before the second "almost there..." screen, the TiVo will not boot far enough to re-link the TSN to the drive.

I try my best to aim for pulling power before the amber light starts flickering (the point where the kickstart (KS__) codes can be entered. I think the reason the light flickers the way it does, is that it is acting like a HDD led on a computer, but can not prove that is the case.

This method has been used for every TiVo I have owned: HD, Premiere, & Roamio base model 846.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:51 AM   #39
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I also do this, but slightly differently. I let the C&DE complete, which leads to a reboot when it has finished the C&DE. I make sure to babysit, then pull the plug at that reboot point. Same results, but no waiting for the C&DE on every unit the image goes to afterwards. The next recipient of the drive image made this way will boot normally, without additional wait, and right into guided setup, with no issues. This is great when you intend to share the image with others, or plan to use it on multiple units of your own. It saves time.

As long as you pull the plug between the very first booting welcome screen, and before the second "almost there..." screen, the TiVo will not boot far enough to re-link the TSN to the drive.

I try my best to aim for pulling power before the amber light starts flickering (the point where the kickstart (KS__) codes can be entered. I think the reason the light flickers the way it does, is that it is acting like a HDD led on a computer, but can not prove that is the case.

This method has been used for every TiVo I have owned: HD, Premiere, & Roamio base model 846.
It's been my experience that it's around 60 seconds after first applying wall socket power to a TiVo that whatever a particular model TiVo does with its front panel lights at or around the correct time to do whatever you do on that model to enter a KickStart code happens.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #40
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It's been my experience that it's around 60 seconds after first applying wall socket power to a TiVo that whatever a particular model TiVo does with its front panel lights at or around the correct time to do whatever you do on that model to enter a KickStart code happens.
With each major platform, that time has been shortened. So far, the Roamio has made the biggest leap. I'm guestimating as fast as ~30 seconds from the time the first boot screen appears.

That is still plenty of time. But, I consider that point the "point of no return", and would rather repeat the process, which will be faster the second time around, than hope for the best and not do it again.

I usually am quick enough to cleanly pull power within ~5 seconds of the first screen (in that same window where intellipark can try to park the drive heads if not adjusted/disabled, when applicable).

I use a power strip with a switch to insure a quick and clean disconnect, when possible (rather than literally grabbing and pulling the power cord out). That's a bit OCD, but that's just the way I am.

You can zip your way through guided setup by using 00000 as your zip code with the "installer express" option, and selecting "Tiny TiVo" as your provider.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #41
cykotix

I was attempting to expand a 320GB & 1TB native to 4TB. With the help of jmbach, I wanted to share the new iso I built with a patched JMFS and a collection of tools from different individuals. This should help streamline jmbach's process he outlined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach
Alright, here is the patch to JMFS from TCF member shamilian:

AppleDisk.java

public void addPartition( PartitionEntry partition ) throws Exception {

// partition.setStartBlock ( (int)getNextFreeBlock() );
partition.setStartBlock ( (long)getNextFreeBlock() );

The github repository I mentioned is:
https://github.com/krbaker/jmfs?files=1
The current limitation of JMFS only allows a maximum partition size of 2.2TB due to 32bit tables. This patch allows you to expand beyond 1.5TB which otherwise isn't possible with rev104. The iso I built is based off the source in krbaker's github and the AppleDisk patch. krbaker's source will clean up Apple_Free partitions if they exist when doing a JMFS copy.

Lastly I included some TivoTools scripts written by TCF member marwatk from this post.

In the following posts, I'll explain my process and how I built the new iso.
cykotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #42
cykotix

This process can be adapted for 3TB expansions but I was going to a 4TB. This process can also be adapted to go from native to 4TB, but I'm going to outline how to use an intermediate drive. The advantages of doing this put the OS and partition 10 closer to the center of the drive which helps performance. I learned all of this from jmbach in my journey.

You can download the ISO I build here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkyd1hwd0g...-tivotools.iso

I'll outline how I built the ISO in the next post.

This process assumes a few things:
  1. Starting with a native, unexpanded drive that is <2TB
  2. Intermediary drive >=2TB
  3. Destination drive =4TB

I was using a 3TB WD Red drive as my intermediate drive because it's what I had available. Ideally you would be using an actual 2TB drive. However, if you're using a 3TB or 4TB intermediate drive, you'll need to use `hdparm` to setup HPA (host protected area) to essential fake being a 2TB drive. jmbach mentions in his original post about using temporary HPA but I only had success doing permanent HPA and later removing it.

If you're using =2TB, SKIP THIS. Otherwise, if you're using a 3TB or 4TB intermediate:
Code:
// Make >2TB look like a 2TB drive
# hdparm -N p3907029168 --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/IntermediateDrive

// Verify HPA is set
# hdparm -N /dev/IntermediateDrive
Power cycle (NOT REBOOT) - Meaning Shutdown completely then boot
Code:
// Verify HPA stuck & fdisk shows =2TB, not >2TB
# fdisk -l /dev/IntermediateDrive
If hdparm/fdisk show the correct information OR you are staring with =2TB, you can continue.
Code:
// JMFS Copy
// Select [C], Source is your original drive, Destination is the 
// IntermediateDrive.
# ./guide.sh

// When it is done copying to IntermediateDrive, JMFS will ask if 
// you want to Expand.  Choose Yes.  Once done, select [R] to choose
// another operation.  Select [Z] to supersize the IntermediateDrive.  
// Then select [X] to exit `guide.sh`.
Code:
// Verify copy was successful
# ./mfslayout.sh /dev/IntermediateDrive
Switch to TivoTool scripts to rearrange and copy partitions from IntermediateDrive (2TB) to DestinationDrive (4TB)
Code:
# cd ~/TivoTools/coalesce_scripts
# ./tivo_copy_rearranged.sh /dev/IntermediateDrive /dev/DestinationDrive 1 11 12 13 15 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 10
Code:
// Verify copy was successful
# cd ~/ && ./mfslayout.sh /dev/DestinationDrive
Coalesce partitions 12 & 13 on DestinationDrive (4TB)
Code:
# cd ~/TivoTools/coalesce_scripts
# ./tivo_coalesce.sh /dev/DestinationDrive 12 13
Remove DestinationDrive and place it back into the Premiere. Follow the instructions to divorce the missing partition. Once this completes, connect it back to the computer and boot JMFS.
Code:
// Select [E] to expand DestinationDrive
# ./guide.sh
Code:
// Select [X] to exit.  Verify DestinationDrive.
# ./mfslayout.sh /dev/DestinationDrive
If all went well, put the DestinationDrive back into the Premier. You should have 640hrs HD. Congratulations!

If you had to use hdparm, see below to remove the permanent HPA.

Code:
// Get full sector count.  For my drive it was 5860533168

// Remove HPA from IntermediateDrive.  Be sure to replace 
// 5860533168 if yours is different.
# hdparm -N p5860533168 --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing /dev/IntermediateDrive

// Verify HPA is disabled.  Power cycle (NOT REBOOT)
// This means SHUTDOWN, then BOOT.

Last edited by cykotix : 05-27-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #43
cykotix

The original JMFS was built using Slax 6 and the modules use a different compression method. In this post, I'll explain how I built JMFS, compiled JMFS and TivoTools as a Slax module and then build the Slax iso.

JMFS Source
I was working from krbaker's github: https://github.com/krbaker/jmfs
You can also grab the original rev104 sources from here, but keep in mind rev104 will not work with the 4TB procedure I posted.
You'll need Apache ANT >=1.7.1 and JDK >=1.6 to compile.

Code:
# cd /path/to/jmfs/source

// you can set raw.revision to whatever you want
# ant -Draw.revision=105-krbaker package

// Change to correct bin zip and output dir, make sure it ends with 'root'
unzip -a jmfs-bin.zip -d /path/to/output/jmfs-rev/root

// chmod *.sh
# chmod 755 /path/to/output/jmfs-rev/root/*.sh

// Compile Slax module.  File extension is .sb
mksquashfs /path/to/output/jmfs-rev/ /path/to/module/jmfs-rev.sb -comp xz -b 512k -Xbcj x86 -noappend
TivoTools
You can grab the latest TivoTools here.
Code:
unzip -a master.zip
mkdir -p TivoTools/root
mv TivoTools-master/* TivoTools/root
// No need for JMFS twice
rm -rf TivoTools/root/jmfs

// Compile Slax module
mksquashfs /path/to/TivoTools/ /path/to/module/TivoTools.sb -comp xz -b 512k -Xbcj x86 -noappend
Slax ISO
Slax can be found here. More specifically, you'll need the 32bit for USB zip. My folder structure for modules was ~/slax7/slax/modules.

Code:
cp /path/to/module/jmfs-rev.sb ~/slax7/slax/modules
cp /path/to/module/TivoTools.sb ~/slax7/slax/modules
You'll also want to add any additional modules. TivoTools requires the xxd module. I also included nano for those not comfortable with vi and samba-client. Neither of those are necessary. You'll also want to clean up unnecessary modules in ~/slax7/slax. I removed everything except 01-core.sb.

Once you're happy with the layout:

Code:
// Name it whatever you want
~/slax7/slax/makeiso.sh ~/slax7/ /path/to/iso/jmfs-rev-krbaker-tivotools.iso
Boot it and make sure everything is where you expected it to be.

Last edited by cykotix : 05-27-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #44
jlin

I tried to run this CD.. it never finished loading... what I am doing wrong?
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:06 AM   #45
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
What was the last thing on the screen? It's pretty common for CD's to get misburned. Have you verified the data on the disc?
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #46
byeams

How long did this process take?
byeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #47
cykotix

Quote:
Originally Posted by byeams View Post
How long did this process take?
Honestly, I didn't really keep track once we fleshed out all the details. Probably in the realm of 8-10hrs. I think my average speed disk to disk using eSATA was around 114 MB/s if memory serves me correctly.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #48
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
Intel or AMD CPU?

Old 06-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #49
[NG]Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykotix View Post
This process can also be adapted to go from native to 4TB, but I'm going to outline how to use an intermediate drive.
I don't have an intermediate drive .... how do I go from native to 3TB, all on a single 3TB drive? What would need to be adapted? Can you map that out for me?

[NG]Owner
[NG]Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #50
jmbach

It does make it tougher because you have to rearrange the partitions on the 3TB drive in order to coalesce one pair of partitions. If you can mount/create VHD images in your Linux box, then you can do this without a physical drive. First, in Windows create a dynamic VHD about half the size of your 3TB drive. Then mount that drive in Windows. Use DvrBARS to restore your image to that mounted VHD. Once that is done, unmount the VHD. Then in your Linux box mount the VHD you just created and use JMFS to expand and supersize it. Now connect your 3TB drive and use the tools to copy and rearrange from the mounted VHD to the 3TB drive. Once that is done, then coalesce one pair of partitions on the 3TB drive followed by using JMFS to expand the 3TB drive.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #51
jmbach

FYI, your intermediate drive just has to be between 1TB to 2TB in size for this to work and does not have to be a TiVo recommended drive.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #52
jmbach

You can use one drive only, however, it is somewhat daunting to do and will take you days to create the proper image to do the final expansion.

It would be much easier with a higher rate of success if you can borrow a drive from someone to use for a day. It just has to be between 1TB and 2TB in size for this to work for you.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #53
[NG]Owner

Quote:
You can use one drive only, however, it is somewhat daunting to do and will take you days to create the proper image to do the final expansion.

It would be much easier with a higher rate of success if you can borrow a drive from someone to use for a day. It just has to be between 1TB and 2TB in size for this to work for you.
This is all way over my head. Much more difficult than anticipated. Is there anything "easy" I can do with the image I am downloading from that other thread, and my 3TB drive? I don't mind giving up a TB if I have to (though not much more than that).

[NG]Owner

Last edited by [NG]Owner : 06-18-2014 at 09:02 AM.
[NG]Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #54
jmbach

There is another way where you start with a 1TB Premiere XL image (still OS version 20.3.8 or later) . Some people frown on using an image from a different model, however, the people I know of of who have done this have not had any issues yet and they have had the images functioning for over a year. If you started with the 1TB XL image, you go straight to 3TB with one step.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #55
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Updating images to newer software, while keeping the image small, a how-to guide:

Get your base image up to a software version that supports over 2TB, so you can more easily proceed, and sometimes eliminate needing a "middle-drive" due to old software (at least for future upgrades, or for when sharing images).

Helpful tips & explanations for all (edit of a post I've tried to standardize):

Use my trick of using 00000 zip code, Tiny TiVo as provider, run a C&DE on the updated image, pull the plug on the reboot once the C&DE operation has completed, which self-triggers a reboot (preferably before the KS [kickstart] window of opportunity, or before the "almost there" screen at the latest), make a backup of that, and upload it for distribution, or just use for yourself, if that's how you roll.

The 00000 zip code & Tiny TiVo provider trick only downloads one channel worth of empty guide data, keeping the new backup image small as can be, and saves time. A cablecard can be paired in this setup, but the channels can only be tested using "test channels using M-card" via DVR Diagnostics screens. This is just a FYI, for those who may use this trick for the many other uses I've found for it, like purging out corrupted data related to an existing zip and provider's guide data.

The reason for the C&DE with timed power-pull is to stop the drive from becoming married to the TSN of the board it is updated on, eliminating image recipients from having to repeat guided setup twice, with a C&DE between the two, to remove any existing host board TSN-to-drive marriage.

Once the software has reached a certain version number, the second screen of GS, where you select demo/home setup, has a "press enter for advanced options" option, which adds Installer Express mode to the choices, saving a big chunk of time, by only doing the absolute minimum GS needs to, leaving all the little personalized preferences to be set later through the menus.

If you want to see what software version is on a drive that boots into GS, without running it, press Info button on the very first GS screen (Select Country). It's at the bottom of the screen, when displayed.

EDIT/ADD: I had left out it is best that the only things connected, until done, are:

1. Power cord/supply.
2. Ethernet cable (or wireless, if you absolutely can't do RJ45 ethernet).

What absolutely should NOT be connected:
1. Coaxial cable for cable or antenna.

Why: If a video source is available, the TiVo will continuously process and buffer all tuners, making the resulting image larger for every zeroed-sector that is changed to in the process. A C&DE does not re-zero the sectors that get changed. Even though the buffer, per tuner, is 30 minutes, it still moves forward though more sectors for as long as the TiVo is on, and has a coax connection providing cable or antenna connectivity. For the cleanest and smallest backup image, this is a big deal.

I suppose (theoretically) somebody who insists on using MoCA, could just remove the cable/antenna input coax to the MoCA, and just use the coax for networking only.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-22-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #56
xdroccax

Quote:
There is another way where you start with a 1TB Premiere XL image (still OS version 20.3.8 or later) . Some people frown on using an image from a different model, however, the people I know of of who have done this have not had any issues yet and they have had the images functioning for over a year. If you started with the 1TB XL image, you go straight to 3TB with one step.
What steps from post #42 would need to be changed if we started with a 1tb XL image and a 4tb drive? This will be my first Premiere, and haven't been in the scene ever since upgrading our S3's to 1.5tb's years ago. thanks
xdroccax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #57
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdroccax View Post
What steps from post #42 would need to be changed if we started with a 1tb XL image and a 4tb drive? This will be my first Premiere, and haven't been in the scene ever since upgrading our S3's to 1.5tb's years ago. thanks
The basic concepts we have to remember is that the largest single partition that can be added is about 2TB in size and that the starting sector of every partition has to start within the first 2TB of the drive.

So to answer your question, you would have to take your 1TB image, expand it to 2TB, consolidate, then expand to 4TB.

If you do not have an intermediate drive then you would copy and rearrange the 1TB image to the 4TB drive in the order 1,11,12,13,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,14,10. Then limit the size of the 4TB drive to about 2TB using hdparm. Expand the drive with JMFS to the 2TB size and supersize. Remove the hdparm limitation. Coalesce partitions 12 and 13 into 12. Place in the premiere and allow it to divorce the now non existent partition. Then finally expand out to 4TB with JMFS. Should have 640HD hours. If not then probably the hdparm step did not take for some reason.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #58
xdroccax

I managed to get ahold of a 2TB to be used as an intermediate. My question now (not sure if it belongs in this thread or the dvrBARS one) is can you back up the 'finished' 4TB drive to a VHD file using dvrBARS and use it as a template/image for future 4TB drives? This is assuming there's no recordings that need to be saved and the original image is a clean XL 1Tb. Would the partition reassignments hold; i.e. the OS being moved to the middle of the drive, the 4k alignment, etc.

Basically, we have two 746's that is going to be upgraded to 4TB, and have about 4 other 746's belonging to family/friends that will probably go 4TB as well. Would be a whole lot faster if you could just dvrBARS to image out 4TB (or 3TB) drives.
xdroccax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #59
jmbach

The answer is yes sort of. You can copy the first 2TB of the drive. As long as the drive is empty of recordings it works. This is because all the important information is in the first 2TB. The last 2TB of the drive is all blank. And yes, all the partition rearrangement and 4k realignment all are maintained.

With your 746 you can start with that image and expand it to 2TB, copy and rearrange to the 4TB drive, divorce the partition, then expand to 4TB.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:33 AM   #60
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdroccax View Post
I managed to get ahold of a 2TB to be used as an intermediate. My question now (not sure if it belongs in this thread or the dvrBARS one) is can you back up the 'finished' 4TB drive to a VHD file using dvrBARS and use it as a template/image for future 4TB drives? This is assuming there's no recordings that need to be saved and the original image is a clean XL 1Tb. Would the partition reassignments hold; i.e. the OS being moved to the middle of the drive, the 4k alignment, etc.
That may take some DvrBARS tweaking on my part. I haven't tested it yet.

The file format can handle just under 2TiB, but there's a field in the VHD header that lists the total number of sectors on the drive. Cramming the sector count for a 4TB drive into that 32-bit field will probably limit it to 1,801,763,774,464 bytes. I need to add a few lines of code so that when backing up larger drives it will use the VHD max instead of the actual drive size.