TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 AM   #1
Doggie Bear

24: Live Another Day, "Day 9: 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm" OAD 6/2/2014

This was a really good, action-packed episode that opened some new relevant subplots and revealed a mole!

I've got a fairly detailed episode recap at my blog. These observations are taken from there as well:

* So . . . if Kiefer Sutherland gets tired of "24" but the ratings are good enough for another "special event mini-season" next summer, I'd say that Yvonne Strahovski can take over. Man, the way she got out of the torture position AND killed her torturer was definitely worthy of Jack Bauer!

* Jack Bauer uses a cell phone while driving. And not on speakerphone, either. Hmm, that is against British driving rules. It'd be funny if he got pulled over during a crucial moment. ("Dammit, there's no time for this!")

* The Russians are still pissed at Bauer for his murderous rampage four years ago. Just like the Chinese; at the end of season 5, Bauer was abducted by the Chinese at the end of the season, and the head of security of the Chinese consulate told him that China remembered the outrages he committed on their territory 18 months.

* The British special forces seem about as inept as regular CTU agents. First, they're lined up along a wall, with one or two taking shots at the arms dealer's henchmen (most of whom seemed to have been killed by Bauer), and then Rask starts shooting the Brits one at a time through the walls before Bauer disarms him. Then the British rush in and Bauer surrenders. The British then somehow allow Rask to grab a hand grenade and pull the pin! Result: more dead British soldiers.

* The mole trope lives! Of course, one of the things about "24" is that there aren't always going to be clues about who the mole might be. Sometimes the writers just make it up as they go along (though they tried to explain how Nina Myers was the mole)! Still, Navarro was a popular pick on the TiVo Community Forum.

* But wait, could there be another mole? I'm somewhat suspicious about the British PM's aide, Caroline Fowlds, played by British actress Miranda Raison. Raison previously co-starred for several years on the British counterterrorism thriller "MI-5" (aka "Spooks" in Britain), and I assume she has a reasonably high profile. It'd be odd to waste her in a minor supporting role as a prim and proper aide, and she was subtly pushy about getting the British PM to interfere with Jack Bauer's mission.

* Halfway through the mini-season already! I love how the season is still tight in the plotting; the subplots are all related to the main plot.
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #2
jamesl

sub-plot

I had already forgot about the President's Chief of Staff forging the Prez's signature on the paper to turn over Jack
I knew it would be trouble when he did it and now it's starting to come back and bite him in the butt
so is he going to lure Jack into Russia custody ?

I liked when Jack was asking Morgan why she was being sent back to the states and she told Jack her husband was caught stealing secrets
he asked if she was implicated and she said no, but she didn't see what was going on right in front of her eyes

I could almost see understanding and acknowledgement in Jack's expression: yeah, I've been there

and yeah, I'd watch Morgan do a season of 24
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Last 5 min or so was messed up and un watchable. Anyone else? Fox issue, FIOS issue, local FIOS issue, Tivo (probably, but never happened like this before!) or my imagination?
Old 06-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
gweempose

This was a great episode that felt like old school 24.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
ADG
Allan

I'm starting a pool for the over/under on the use of the word "protocol" through the series. I doubt the word has been used in real life as many time since it was coined as it has on the full run of 24

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
Doggie Bear

"24" got a 1.8 rating last night, up from 1.5 the week before. It finished second on the night (to NBC's "American Ninja Warrior"). Hopefully, this level will be enough to bring it back next late spring/early summer.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
* The mole trope lives!
I don't remember. Was there ever a season of 24 with OUT a mole?

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Doggie Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
I don't remember. Was there ever a season of 24 with OUT a mole?

Gerry
I'm a bit hazy on some of the earlier seasons (well, not season 1) but I meant no mole had emerged yet this season.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
Gerryex

Quote:
I'm a bit hazy on some of the earlier seasons (well, not season 1) but I meant no mole had emerged yet this season.
Isn't Benjamin Bratt's character this season's mole? He was phoning someone and taking about the missing files and the evidence that was planted about the guilt of the lady agent's husband. Certainly that guy he was talking to was a bad guy. So maybe not a traditional definition of a mole but definitely in cahoots with a bad guy!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Isn't Benjamin Bratt's character this season's mole?
Has there ever been only one?
Old 06-04-2014, 02:52 AM   #11
Doggie Bear

Quote:
Isn't Benjamin Bratt's character this season's mole? He was phoning someone and taking about the missing files and the evidence that was planted about the guilt of the lady agent's husband. Certainly that guy he was talking to was a bad guy. So maybe not a traditional definition of a mole but definitely in cahoots with a bad guy!

Gerry
Yes, I meant, before this episode, we weren't sure that there was a mole even.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Yes, I meant, before this episode, we weren't sure that there was a mole even.
Well, those of us who looked at the title and realized this was "24" knew full well!
Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #13
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
... and yeah, I'd watch Morgan do a season of 24
Factoring in the inequality between sexes at 70%, that would be 16.8 instead of 24.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

It's already been reduced to 12!