TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
ADG
Allan

Constant Rebooting

One of my S3's just started a constant reboot loop. Would we guess it's likely the HD? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

It is likely, but it is probably more likely to be the power supply. That seems to have become the bigger reason for S3 problems recently.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

It often winds up being a borderline drive, with a borderline power supply. The loss of ripple filtering, when the output filter caps fail, tends to be hard on the hard drive.

There's several already-existing good threads with unitron usually taking the lead, on these scenarios, so there's no need to make new threads.

It's important to state the actual TCD model, and if it's a S3 OLED, or a TiVo HD, when seeking help.

If you can state those specifics, I'm sure somebody will list what threads have all the info you could possibly need, and members ready and willing to help.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
DaveMN

I just fixed a similar problem with my TiVo HD. Basically, I checked the capacitors on my power supply, and they all looked good. I ended-up buying a new 150 hour drive from Weaknees for $149, and it took me 10 minutes to swap-out. Have not had a reboot in 2 weeks now. Lost my original recordings, but that was OK by me.
DaveMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
ADG
Allan

I'm guessing that's what it is -- problem is I replaced the drive (with a 1Tb from Weaknees) a year ago. Anyway, I've decided how I'm going to resolve the problem and I appreciate the input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I'm guessing that's what it is -- problem is I replaced the drive (with a 1Tb from Weaknees) a year ago. Anyway, I've decided how I'm going to resolve the problem and I appreciate the input.
Unless you know you have a good power supply, you're wasting time and possibly money doing any further troubleshooting.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Unless you know you have a good power supply, you're wasting time and possibly money doing any further troubleshooting.
I agree with unitron. Even the world's cheapest voltmeter/multimeter is adequate for checking the output voltages. Even if they seem OK, electrolytic capacitors can go bad, without any visible symptoms, and none of them last forever. They have a limited lifespan (how long they operate within specs), before they will inevitable fail, at some point. Any S3/HD power supply that has been in operation for this long, will have caps that have exceeded their rated lifespans. They break down, internally, even the best brand names. This is why so many vendors are trying to do-away with electrolytic caps on their premium product lines (although, some functions require electrolytic, unless the whole design is reworked with the goal of not using them).
Old 06-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
ADG
Allan

Just to bring the thread to a close, I decided to use the box for spare parts and replace it with a second Roamio. Thanks for all the input.