TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #31
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

anyone who takes issues with this series must not have kids in school. This was much more accurate than any of the **** my kids learn there.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #32
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
They could have accomplished that w/o all of the misrepresentation and out and out falsehoods. All they actually accomplished was presenting a completely distorted version of events. The fact that you think they covered the Battle of Britain proves that. It did not begin with the London blitz. Point of fact, it pretty much ended it.
Did I even say that? I never said it began or ended, and in fact mentioned that part of the Battle of Britain was at sea. While I agree that they've misrepresented some things. I think or hope at least that a series like this will pique someone's interest in the topic rather than a full education. I think they got the gist of the war's causes and effects. Sure they could have been a lot more accurate, I agree. But it's not a total misrepresentation of what happened. It's not like they had Germany attacking the UK with land troops or that it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor They took a lot of leaps (as mentioned in the article Bob posted about the Communists revolution in Russia). My son watched this, not knowing much about the era and now wants to know more. I think, for me, that's what I hope comes out of this for a lot of younger people.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #33
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
anyone who takes issues with this series must not have kids in school. This was much more accurate than any of the **** my kids learn there.
This exactly. And in fact, by the time they get to this era in school, it usually late in the school year and the kids (and probably the teachers) have totally lost interest. To me it's the most fascinating era in history and it directly shapes so much of the world we live in. Much more than what happened in Rome 2000 years ago.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #34
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Did I even say that? I never said it began or ended, and in fact mentioned that part of the Battle of Britain was at sea. While I agree that they've misrepresented some things.
Here's what you actually wrote:
Quote:
I don't think it matters to the casual observer if Marshall wore 1 or 5 stars, if there were other bombing campaigns (since the Battle of Britain was the key campaign along with the sea battles that kept the UK alive until the US could join the war).
You clearly thought that the "Battle of Britain" was covered and did not say that "the sea battles" were part of it. On a related note, to what "sea battles" are you referring?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #35
lpwcomp

Most of the information presented in this program is no better than the "drivel" taught in school, it's just different drivel.

It's practically alternate history and should have been written by Harry Turtledove. At least then the technical details would have been correct.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #36
lpwcomp

Quote:
Did they mention ALL planes were fighters? I missed where they said that.
According to this program , all of the planes that attacked Pearl Harbor were fighters as were all of the Luftwaffe planes shot down by the RAF.

Quote:
I did notice a General wearing 5 starts in Ep 2. I thought it was McArthur though, who I don't believe was a 5 star at that point either.
There were 7 people promoted to 5-star rank in WWII, all in December of 1944. The first was Leahy on the 15th and the last was Arnold on the 21st.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #37
efilippi

Quote:
Here's what you actually wrote:You clearly thought that the "Battle of Britain" was covered and did not say that "the sea battles" were part of it. On a related note, to what "sea battles" are you referring?
It's great that we finally have someone on this forum who can help us better understand history and tell us what we really meant after we say something.

I was reprimanded for using the word Bold when the adjective was more properly Big. My apologies. I also thought that people who studied western history would probably have been aware of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and its implications, but I am now aware that it was indeed a "little known fact." I'm always happy to learn something.

Harry Turtledove is a fun read. Thank for bringing him up.
efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #38
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
According to this program , all of the planes that attacked Pearl Harbor were fighters as were all of the Luftwaffe planes shot down by the RAF.
I don't recall that they said ALL the planes were fighters. Perhaps they said there were xxx amount of fighters shot down, but that doesn't mean that it was ALL the planes shot down, much like saying a battle had 10,000 killed doesn't include ALL the casualties. Now if you can say that the number they quoted (which I don't remember) was the actual number of ALL planes, then they screwed up.

Quote:
There were 7 people promoted to 5-star rank in WWII, all in December of 1944. The first was Leahy on the 15th and the last was Arnold on the 21st.
Yep, that's what I thought. Of course, it's possible that the 5 star general they showed was promoted BEFORE WWII not IN WWII (meaning he was already a 5 star before the war started), but that was not the case for the generals they showed.

Again, it's minor points to the story they were telling. I think it was MUCH more egregious that they didn't mention Lend Lease or the Spanish Civil War than what were probably little more than script errors that only those familiar with those stats would know and care about. Find me a documentary about WWII and you'll find some inaccuracies. It's far from a rewrite of history.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #39
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi View Post
It's great that we finally have someone on this forum who can help us better understand history and tell us what we really meant after we say something.

I was reprimanded for using the word Bold when the adjective was more properly Big. My apologies. I also thought that people who studied western history would probably have been aware of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and its implications, but I am now aware that it was indeed a "little known fact." I'm always happy to learn something.

Harry Turtledove is a fun read. Thank for bringing him up.
I always love how people tell me what I really meant

The German-Russian pact is about as important a point as you can make about WWII. I don't think I've read or watched a history of WWII that DIDN'T mention it.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #40
lpwcomp

Quote:
You mean like you? "Bold", below modified to "Big", neither of which is even close to an accurate description of what I wrote. Are you perhaps auditioning for a job as a writer for the "History" channel?

What you seem to want me to do is assume that people meant something other than what they actually wrote.

Quote:
I was reprimanded for using the word Bold when the adjective was more properly Big. My apologies. I also thought that people who studied western history would probably have been aware of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and its implications, but I am now aware that it was indeed a "little known fact." I'm always happy to learn something
There's a huge difference between "people who studied western history" and people whose only knowledge was gleaned from an elementary school textbook. For the most part, even if they know about the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, they only know about the public part - the non-agression provision. And even if they know about the Soviet invasion of eastern Poland, they think it was in reaction to the German invasion and was done merely to defend the Poles against the Fascist invaders.

Quote:
Harry Turtledove is a fun read.
On that we can agree. I enjoy a lot of AH, I just don't expect to see it on the "History" channel.

A good friend of mine has written a couple of AH novels, "Moon of Ice" and "Anarquia", the latter co-written by J. Kent Hastings. One of the premises of "Moon of Ice" was that the Germans developed and used the atomic bomb. A reviewer objected on the grounds that the Germans didn't develop an atomic bomb, apparently not understanding the concept of "alternate" history.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #41
lpwcomp

Quote:
I always love how people tell me what I really meant
Not being a mind reader, I can only respond to what you actually write, not to what you think you mean.

Quote:
The German-Russian pact is about as important a point as you can make about WWII. I don't think I've read or watched a history of WWII that DIDN'T mention it.
And how many of those mentioned anything other then the non-agression portion?

Old 06-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #42
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

Well this thread was fun for all of four seconds.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #43
efilippi

You sure read fast if you got way down here in for seconds.
efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #44
DeDondeEs

I tried watching the marathon they had on Saturday. One technical annoyance I had was with my DirecTV DVR. DTV has that "Streaming" option now. Normally if I pause a show it will just keep a buffer going on that channel. Now with that streaming junk when it gets to the end of the episode and it erases the buffer and goes to real time saying that if you want to watch any more you can watch it streaming. But I don't have internet hooked up to my DTV receiver, so I would keep losing the last 5-10 minutes of each show.

Yeah the easiest fix would have been to just record the episodes or set up a season pass but I miss just being able to pause on that channel.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #45
Michael S

On June 22 H2 will broadcast The World Wars:Extended Edition. It will feature 45 minutes of new content.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...dition/274553/
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #46
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
On June 22 H2 will broadcast The World Wars:Extended Edition. It will feature 45 minutes of new content.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...dition/274553/
I think I'll pass. Willing to bet the extra 45 minutes is evenly dispersed over the three part series. I'm not about ready to rewatch the series for the new material.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #47
cheesesteak
Meh.

15 minutes longer per night, five minutes of which will probably be commercials.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote