TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2014, 04:06 AM   #1
qlafferty

Tivo Mini plays content in the middle of the night

I have a Tivo Mini connected to my home computer and the audio is feeding into the 'line in' input on my PC. I have a multiple monitor setup and occasionally I switch the input on one my screens to the Tivo Mini so that I can watch TV at my desk. I just got this set up a couple of days ago and during the day it works very well for me.

The problem is that in the middle of the night I will suddenly start hearing audio coming from my computer speakers because the Tivo Mini starts playing content unsolicited. If I forget and leave my computer volume turned up high it is very startling and unwelcome.

For instance at 4AM this morning I was awoken by my Tivo Mini. I had not used the Mini at all yesterday and hadn't really thought about it. I worked at my computer in my home office and apparently I left my PC at full volume when I finished for the day. Typically not a problem since my computer doesn't generate any audio when I am not at my desk. Anyway, at 4AM my speakers started blaring audio because the Tivo Mini started playing a show of some kind. Weird. Does anyone understand this behavior? Do you think the Mini is rebooting or something?

I really want to stop it from doing this because I don't always remember to mute the volume on my PC at night and this issue is upsetting me and my wife as we have been woken up by the Tivo Mini the last two nights.
qlafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
tatergator1

On most mornings, I find that when checking the host Roamio, it says that my Mini currently has a tuner allocated to it. I many instances, the Mini hasn't been used in a few days, and no tuner is allocated to it when I go to bed the previous night. Coupled with your observations, it does seem there is some sort of bug in the software that causes the Mini to randomly grab a tuner in the middle of the night. Perhaps it's a side-effect of some sort of syncing with the host, or the daily connection to the Tivo servers.

I've always just ignored it since it doesn't really affect me negatively. However, I would also be annoyed if my setup was like yours.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlafferty View Post
I have a Tivo Mini connected to my home computer and the audio is feeding into the 'line in' input on my PC. I have a multiple monitor setup and occasionally I switch the input on one my screens to the Tivo Mini so that I can watch TV at my desk. I just got this set up a couple of days ago and during the day it works very well for me.

The problem is that in the middle of the night I will suddenly start hearing audio coming from my computer speakers because the Tivo Mini starts playing content unsolicited. If I forget and leave my computer volume turned up high it is very startling and unwelcome.

For instance at 4AM this morning I was awoken by my Tivo Mini. I had not used the Mini at all yesterday and hadn't really thought about it. I worked at my computer in my home office and apparently I left my PC at full volume when I finished for the day. Typically not a problem since my computer doesn't generate any audio when I am not at my desk. Anyway, at 4AM my speakers started blaring audio because the Tivo Mini started playing a show of some kind. Weird. Does anyone understand this behavior? Do you think the Mini is rebooting or something?

I really want to stop it from doing this because I don't always remember to mute the volume on my PC at night and this issue is upsetting me and my wife as we have been woken up by the Tivo Mini the last two nights.
Does your pc say updates have been applied when you go to shut the audio off? It would be easy to miss if you are half asleep at three in the morning.

If your pc is updating with windows updates, that might be the cause. The audio is always active and the pc rebooting could be causing the hdmi to go active when the monitor resets. I know one of my minis on a tv I have won't release the hdmi port unless I tell the mini to release the tuner. I have seen that mini of mine hang on to a tuner and stay active several hours longer than it should, almost as if its monitoring the hdmi port thinking the tv is on. But something has to be triggerering the mini to grab a tuner since I think its a 3 hour timeout before the mini releases the tuner.

To test this, set your Microsoft updates to notify you but not update unless you say to do so and when there.are updates, manually apply the updates and when you reboot see what happens?

Weird things happens when ms windows does automatic updates, just a shot in the dark?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

I noticed ever since the Roamio launch (which came with the dynamic tuning allocation), that the Mini intermittently hangs onto tuners (or takes them) even if it's left on a menu. Hasn't been a pressing issue since the Roamio is programmed to take the tuner if its needed, but it's a strange thing that does exist.

Pressing the Tivo button again always seemed to fix it, but who wants to babysit it.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

I emailed Margret about it today. 4 of my tuners were taken up. Luckily no missed recordings. We haven't watched live TV on a Mini in over a week, so I'm not sure why it's hanging onto tuners. (I have 6 Minis, so it can potentially cause a problem with multiple recordings not having enough tuners available.)

Hopefully they will fix this in the summer update.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I've seen this behavior too (with 3 Minis) but have ignored it as eboydog posted because my Plus will always just grab what it needs. It will become more aggravating in the fall if not fixed because I watch college football and flip between live tuners. I'll want at least 4 tuners free then.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
New Tron

My problem is with the emergency broadcast system. Every time it comes on, even if it's just a test, it grabs three tuners from my Romeo for 4 hours, unless I go around to all the TVs and hit the tiVo button.
New Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:41 AM   #8
DigitalDawn

I'm having a similar problem. I had to reboot three Mini's (connected to my Roamio Pro) when they locked up due to the EBS.

Interestingly, the two Mini's connected to my XL4 were fine.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tron View Post
My problem is with the emergency broadcast system.
This is the problem. When TiVo added dynamic tuner allocation they enabled EAS for Minis. Which means that if you get an EAS, even a test, then the Mini will grab a tuner so it can play it. Then when it's done it will continue playing live TV for the next 4 hours until it times out.

They should add a feature that will only dump you to live TV for an EAS if the Mini is actively being used. (i.e. your watching a show or live TV)

Last edited by Dan203 : 06-04-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
This is the problem. When TiVo added dynamic tuner allocation they enabled EAS for Minis. Which means that if you get an EAS, even a test, then the Mini will grab a tuner so it can play it. Then when it's done it will continue playing live TV for the next 4 hours until it times out.

They should add a feature that will only dump you to live TV for an EAS if the Mini is actively being used. (i.e. your watching a show or live TV)
Ok then this would explain why sometimes I have found my Minis on a tuner. I've had no issue with it though. If my Roamio Pro needs to use a tuner for recording it still grabs it so I don't see any detrimental effect from it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Ok then this would explain why sometimes I have found my Minis on a tuner. I've had no issue with it though. If my Roamio Pro needs to use a tuner for recording it still grabs it so I don't see any detrimental effect from it.
Unless the Mini is in your bedroom with the TV on.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Unless the Mini is in your bedroom with the TV on.
If you have the TV on then you see the message pop up asking you about the recording doesn't it? Just like on the Roamio unit.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If you have the TV on then you see the message pop up asking you about the recording doesn't it? Just like on the Roamio unit.
Never tried that, but the EAS will make a sound itself.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Are you using the end of show, or 4 hour live timeout, as a sleep timer? If so then yeah this would be annoying. If you can you should set the TVs sleep timer that way if the Mini comes back alive the TV will be off and you'll never even notice.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:48 AM   #15
unitron

Any chance this middle of the night stuff is related to one of the tuners being used to get the TeleWorld Paid Program thing?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Any chance this middle of the night stuff is related to one of the tuners being used to get the TeleWorld Paid Program thing?
The Minis have no storage and no scheduler so I seriously doubt they are picking up the TeleWorld broadcast. I'm 99% sure this is due to EAS tests. They do them here several times a week.