Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #61
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
Just an FYI to anyone buying one of these Netgear switches. There are rebates available for purchases through June 30th. Hopefully this link to the form works.
Ah, yes. That's what nudged me to get better equipment. Besides a good price at checkout, the combo-rebate. I don't usually buy anything with a rebate, or just don't send it in (often gets the same result as sending the rebate in - never recieved claim).

Just a data-point: The NewEgg reviews on the Netgear combo-rebates have started coming in as being a pre-paid card, only good for purchase of more Netgear equipment. I can not confirm this yet (no rebate received yet).

It's also worth noting that this would be the third month of "Buy Netgear products, in this list, for this month, and get up to a $__.__ pre-paid card" promotion.

If NewEgg didn't make the checkout price a good, or great, deal on it's own, I'd never let a rebate sway my purchase decisions.

Then, there's a whole new set of complications if you could return the product, due to not liking it, but gave-away that right by cutting off the UPC code. Then, you can only go through product warranty, and are stuck with what you bought (or a refurbished replacement, and paying shipping).
Old 05-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #62
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Since I went nuclear over people not posting "how they got there" along with their "no problems here" posts:

If I didn't add two VoIP units to my home network, I wouldn't have discovered a reason to use (turn on and configure) QoS and get switches that honor the Priority tags. I might not have explored router settings other than "off" or "auto" (which likely works fine for most people).

If not for that, I'd still be complaining how terrible Netflix works on any TiVo I've ever owned, including the base Roamio x3.

It took a lot of trial and error, but it made VoIP as good as landlines. By accident, it made my TiVo Roamio experience better. All those little annoyances with the delay of the ads appearing delaying me from deleting a program, reduced C133 errors with the TiVo service (ones caused by my network), lots of things to cross-off "what bothers me". I share this, hoping it helps somebody, and my list gets longer... That's not right...

If just plugging in the two VoIP boxes directly into two router ports would have worked for me, I wouldn't know that some switches don't honor Priority tags/QoS. I needed to be able to plug them in downstream, and didn't want to run dedicated cables to avoid my existing switches.

Some additional tweaking, once all the $10-less (or even equal-price) switches were out, and I almost don't want to install my new router. Things are finally working in harmony (network-wise). I only spent more than $10 greater price to have some level of switch diagnostics, and figured a few management functions couldn't hurt.

Right now, people can either check the specs on a switch they buy, or blindly buy whatever is convenient. I'm saying that if you choose to check for one item, you might get one that supports 802.1P priority tags, for the same price as one that doesn't. Even if it doesn't help you, what did you lose by picking it over the one that didn't support it?

Fast-forward to some point in the future, and you install a VoIP device, and want to have it downstream of your router, passing through that switch... If it doesn't want to work, or works poorly, will you remember what might be the problem?

I don't think there is more I can say, and I'll just have to take my floggings for blowing-up.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #63
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Do you need QoS on your router if you want good VOIP? Maybe, if you upload a lot and/or torrent. Do you need it on your GigE switches? For all but the edge cases, no, for all the reasons mentioned here.

And yeah, you're once again blowing this small molehill into a huge mountain which is kind of your modus operandi here.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #64
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
And yeah, you're once again blowing this small molehill into a huge mountain which is kind of your modus operandi here.
At least I already admitted it, and am trying to just leave it be, in as dignified a manner I can do so. Which, is why I'm not even commenting on your position.

To each their own network, and the freedom to choose it, and use it, in the manner they choose. Best of luck & hope you enjoyed the nuclear explosion in Nevada.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #65
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
At least I already admitted it, and am trying to just leave it be, in as dignified a manner I can do so. Which, is why I'm not even commenting on your position.

To each their own network, and the freedom to choose it, and use it, in the manner they choose. Best of luck & hope you enjoyed the nuclear explosion in Nevada.
The problem is that you were recommending managed switches as a magic bullet to solve everybody's network problems. It's not.

Managed switches are the right answer if

1. You determine you have latency issues on some applications caused by traffic on others. A small percentage of folks with network issues here have this problem (we know because when they do solve their problems, it's not with managed switches, except in rare cases).

2. You have the network background to both set up a managed switch to solve your problem, and maintain that switch correctly as your needs in the home change. If we suddenly replaced all switches of TivoCommunity members with managed switches, I would wager large sums of money that we would have many more network problems than we solved. Unless managed switches have changed in the past 10 years, they are not simple, expensive, and very non-standard. The average TiVo user does not have the background to understand most of the settings that they need to make.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #66
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
The problem is that you were recommending managed switches as a magic bullet to solve everybody's network problems. It's not. <snip>
Completely unmanaged switches, with no configuration options even available to the user can support and honor the QoS/Priority standards in question.

I started off with a simple, generous, post with a link to some "priority by the color-coded port you plug into" switches, which will work on any network - switches that I have used, still do use, and NewEgg had on sale, complete with promo code. I'm such a bad person. Shame on me.

Those are unmanaged switches. Check the specs and listing area before sticking your foot in your own mouth. There are plenty of completely unmanaged switches that can honor QoS/Priority tagging. Just because I spoke of some other switches that had limited management functions, in the course of discussion doesn't equate to recommending every switch I speak of to all.

Don't twist it into something more, just to keep me going, so you can keep arguing with anything or everything I say.

I'm trying to drop the subject, and you conveniently put words in my mouth, knowing I won't allow that to go un-called.

I'm not the only predictable one on here.

EDIT/ADD: My original, sinister, post link: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...6#post10096306

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-07-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added link to original post
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:22 AM   #67
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
I guess I should have asked in my original post. If you do have a switch that works for roamio/minis would you mind sharing the make/model #.

Hopefully we can make a list of a few that work to maybe save some headaches down the road.
I posted this in another thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
Update:

I now have completed my CAT6a and CAT6 rewiring (Monoprice.com rocks) and removed the MoCa Bridge & all COAX connectios.
I no longer have any whatsoever latency, nor other connectivity, streaming, ect issues between the Roamio Pro and 3 Minis.

TiVo wireing:

FIOS ONT >> Actiontec MI424WR Gige Router in Basement-->
......................--> 50' CAT 6a to Roamio Pro
........................--> 35' CAT 6a to Netgear ProSafe GS108 Gigabit switch =>
............................................................ ...=> 25' CAT 6 to Mini 1
............................................................ ...=> 50' CAT 6 to Mini 2
............................................................ ...=> 100' CAT 6 to Mini 3

I also went into the MI424WR's advanced settings and deleted any COAX and COAX Bridge IP addresses, none left on my networks now.

I know the CAT 6a and CAT 6 are overkill but for a few bucks over 5e i figured i future proof everything.

of note, I had been experiencing some dropouts on my Sonos Connect and Sonos Amps after having created the MoCa Bridge with the Roamio Pro.... now all gone.

Gman
I bought 5 of the Netgear GS108 on ebay (NIB for <$25 each , do some searching

Edit (after reading some of the other posts): I'm no network wizard more like J6P so have only done minor QoS and Satatic IP address tweeking in the router....

Last edited by GmanTiVo : 05-09-2014 at 07:17 PM.
GmanTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #68
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

The issue of how complex a person can configure their home data network and personal ego's are derailing the purpose of this message thread.

Perhaps this topic can be salvaged if we try to get back to the point. OP was asking for input on home network switches that others have successfully used. The majority of Tivo owners are not network engineers, have no care about QOS and may have no need for a ethernet switch beyond what their multi port home router/wireless access point provides.

TiVo support has clouded this issue by declaring that "switches" are not supported which per my multiple conversations with them is due to their inability to support the multitudes of different configurations which they can not control or anticipate the endless possibilities of configurations.

Please post your success and failures of home network switches, I'm curious to know more those that work and don't work. To argue the merits of how your advanced home network is configured provides no help for those who don't know the difference between an ethernet cable and a regular old school telephone line other that the ethernet cable appears to have a larger plug.

Let's see if we can keep it civil, for those who are knowledgeable of data networks, perhaps we can help those who don't have a solid understanding and can provide help to improve their network performance with our assitance. Arguing the merits of why your way is better than mine doesn't bring anything helpful to the community.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #69
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
The issue of how complex a person can configure their home data network and personal ego's are derailing the purpose of this message thread.

Perhaps this topic can be salvaged if we try to get back to the point. OP was asking for input on home network switches that others have successfully used. The majority of Tivo owners are not network engineers, have no care about QOS and may have no need for a ethernet switch beyond what their multi port home router/wireless access point provides.

TiVo support has clouded this issue by declaring that "switches" are not supported which per my multiple conversations with them is due to their inability to support the multitudes of different configurations which they can not control or anticipate the endless possibilities of configurations.

Please post your success and failures of home network switches, I'm curious to know more those that work and don't work. To argue the merits of how your advanced home network is configured provides no help for those who don't know the difference between an ethernet cable and a regular old school telephone line other that the ethernet cable appears to have a larger plug.

Let's see if we can keep it civil, for those who are knowledgeable of data networks, perhaps we can help those who don't have a solid understanding and can provide help to improve their network performance with our assitance. Arguing the merits of why your way is better than mine doesn't bring anything helpful to the community.
As much as it seems that I'm the one being complex and egotistical, as you say, I agree with you.

I still think the whole "TiVo doesn't support switches" context is really "TiVo doesn't provide support for switches", or could even be that TiVo CS might confuse a network switch with a HDMI switch, and the latter is more of a support issue headache for TiVo, than network switches.

If you strip away the parts of my posts that speak about QoS & 802.1p priority tags, and everybody gets it clear that I didn't ever say TiVo users need managed or even "smart" switches, I think I already gave all the data-points you say we need. If not, I'm open for some civil questions, or friendly discussion.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #70
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
I've run into a situation and was curious if anyone has been successful connecting a roamio to their network via Ethernet cable and a switch (no Moca).
I'm using an old Netgear 10/100 5 port switch with my Mini. Switch is connected via MoCa. Don't recall the model number and not sure it would really help anyway since it's an old model that is no longer offered. Never had any problems with it.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #71
aaronwt
HD Addict

So a heads up for anyone wanting to use the Actiontec GigE MoCA adapter.(model ECB3500T01).
It's GigE switch is lacking. It works perfectly fine for the speeds from several TiVos. But for high speed GigE transfer, like pC to PC it is lacking.

My plan was to have all my TiVo associated equipment connected directly to the four port GigE switch of the Actiontec or connected by MoCA. But I realized when making transfers between my TiVo Desktop PC and another PC conncted to my Dlink switches that the throughput speeds were only around 460mbps.

So I connected my TiVo Desktop PC back to my Dlink Switch. And left my TiVos over MoCA and ethernet connected to the Actiontec. With one GigE port connected to a Dlink GigE switch. So now my TiVo Desktop PC will get the 960mbps throughput speeds I expect from the Dlink when transferring between my other PCs and still have no issues with the concurrent transfers to/from my TiVos which are under 300mbps.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #72
Snook

Here is my setup, my Minis are connected to a D-Link (DGS-1005G) daisy chained to a D-Link (DGS-1008G) where the Roamio Plus is connected. http://www.gliffy.com/go/publish/5751284

Last edited by Snook : 05-15-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #73
brewman

I have a Mini, and it is paired with a Roamio with 3 switches in between (2-managed, 1-unmanaged). All connections are over Cat 6 (no wireless).

No problems to date.
brewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #74
Bigg

I use only the highest quality premium switches. My current ones feature full 10/100 operation with a huge 8 ports. [/sarcasm] They're $9 and from Monoprice, with an old router thrown in there as a switch for good measure. They all work fine.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #75
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

NewEgg has these on sale for $19.99 again:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...63&ignorebbr=1

NETGEAR 5 Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (GS605AV)

$29.99
+ USD $10 off w/ promo code NTWMAYX14, ends 5/21

5 out of 5 eggs (37) | Write a Review
In stock. Limit 5 per customer.

10x faster than Fast Ethernet
Incorporates Plug-and-Play ease of use
128K on-chip packet buffering
MAC address database: 4,000
Auto Uplink
Honors IEEE 802.1p priority tags

They are the best unmanaged switches I have ever used, and currently use them at all my network endpoints, with my Roamios on the medium priority ports, high used for VoIP, and low for PC connections.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #76
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Decent if you want a 5-port, but you can get just as good 8-ports like the one I mentioned earlier for the same money all the time (on sale). And yes, it works fine without priority tags.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #77
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Decent if you want a 5-port, but you can get just as good 8-ports like the one I mentioned earlier for the same money all the time (on sale). And yes, it works fine without priority tags.
It works better for me, using the 5-port AV-series. I think having two VoIP devices is what really makes me love them so much. I usually don't get anything with less than eight ports. There's nothing stopping adding another switch to any one of the priority-by-color ports. I'm doing exactly that, in one room, and it works using another AV-series switch, or a "normal" one.

I need the priority for my VoIP. The way my TiVos work better with these switches may be just due to me investigating QoS on my consumer-grade router, and turning it on (and turning uPnP off). I did set up hard rules by MAC addresses, but it was probably only helpful for the VoIP devices (no issues with them since). Just turning QoS on, and leaving the traffic priority up to the "auto" setting, would likely have been fine, if I wasn't so intent on making my BasicTalk VoIP work as well as a landline.

The only thing that bothers me (at this time), is that every time I post a deal alert, I find myself feeling like I shouldn't bother, if all it's going to lead to is blow-back, or naysayers.

Seriously. I made sure (this time) to post the deal, and simply state I've had the best luck, performance, reliability, and overall experience with them. That is something that most people will do if they had the best experience with a product, and share that there is a sale.

I made sure to NOT post anything stating that these switches are required, or that could be interpreted/misinterpreted as stating so. I just shared the sale, and gave a brief endorsement of how happy I am with them. TiVo used to be the dead-last device I'd use for Netflix or Hulu Plus. Since I found these switches, installed them, and turned on QoS on my router, TiVo is now at the top of the list. I see almost instant SuperHD, and no longer suffer reboots while using, or exiting Netflix.

TCF, forgive me, for apparently I have sinned, by not being selfish, sharing a deal, and sharing my experience.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-21-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo/grammar
Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #78
aaronwt
HD Addict

Posting deals should always be good. I would think most people are interested in seeing when deals are available.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #79
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
TCF, forgive me, for apparently I have sinned, by not being selfish, sharing a deal, and sharing my experience.
Jeez man, you really need to grow a thicker skin. I was merely pointing out that for the same money you could get an 8-port switch instead of a 5 that would probably work just as well for 99% of the folks here. No need to go into yet another lengthy woe is me wail about how everyone hates you.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #80
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Jeez man, you really need to grow a thicker skin. I was merely pointing out that for the same money you could get an 8-port switch instead of a 5 that would probably work just as well for 99% of the folks here. No need to go into yet another lengthy woe is me wail about how everyone hates you.
Yeah, I guess I'm still a bit edgy about what happened the last time I posted that NewEgg had them on sale, and got a bit "preachy" about how great they worked for me, and why I believed they worked so great...

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-22-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: context
Old 05-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #81
Bigg

That's a very interesting concept, to have QoS ports in an unmanaged switch. The one place I could see it being super useful would be for a Microcell/AirRave/Network Extender/Ooma adapter, for most other things, QoS is probably way overkill. You can also do it all manually through the router, but I guess that can be kind of a pain.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:47 AM   #82
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
That's a very interesting concept, to have QoS ports in an unmanaged switch. The one place I could see it being super useful would be for a Microcell/AirRave/Network Extender/Ooma adapter, for most other things, QoS is probably way overkill. You can also do it all manually through the router, but I guess that can be kind of a pain.
No real disagreement from me, at all.

I just want to point out that what is different about this particular (Netgear GS605AV) switch is the manual "QoS/priority by color" method, while it will also allow the QoS designation of the port to be overridden, if QoS is already in the packets, due to a router, or another switch, usually of the managed type, which is adding tags. So, it can assign by port color, or fallback to just "honoring" what is already assigned/present.

There's no shortage of completely unmanaged switches that will "honor" the QoS/Priority tags. Many of them don't advertise the fact. It's only in the fine print under "supported standards" or "product specifications/details". Even the NewEgg product page leaves it out of the main profile, and only lists it under the specifications tab.

More often that most would expect, you can buy an equal quality and equal price switch that supports honoring the tags. If the tags are not present, those switches that do, just act like any other switch.

If it always (or very often) took paying a premium to get a switch that at least honors QoS, I wouldn't be such an advocate of checking the specs, before making a purchase decision. I never told anybody to rip out existing switches, in favor of these (just that I did do so). Even for me, the by-color way is being overridden, after taking the time to assign a profile to each MAC address on my network, via my router, via the "Internet QoS" menu. It doesn't just manage the internet side, it manages both sides.

It's literally a "QoS/Priority for dummies" switch, for people who want QoS, but don't want to have to configure anything (or minimal configuration). That it can still be used just to honor what already exists, makes it the best of both worlds (novice/advanced), and not limited by having the features it does.

Like you said, VoIP (like Ooma) can benefit from it. That's my #1 reason I love them. I don't have to plug my VoIP boxes directly into my router anymore.

Also, how often do you see a product with 100% positive reviews, like this one has? Last point, which was also in the reviews, is that the LEDs are dimmed-down, like a proper piece of AV equipment. Most Netgear products tend to have blinding LEDs, and a few don't have LEDs.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #83
aaronwt
HD Addict

But if you have the bandwidth, is QoS even needed? I'm on the 150/65 tier on FiOS. But even when I was on the 35/35 tier in 2007/2008, I never needed to worry about QoS. Everything worked without any prioritization since there was more than enough bandwidth, up and down, to go around.

Now at my GFs house I have setup QoS in her router since she is on a slow DSL connection. WHich does help some. But you can only do so much with a slow connection.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #84
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But if you have the bandwidth, is QoS even needed? I'm on the 150/65 tier on FiOS. But even when I was on the 35/35 tier in 2007/2008, I never needed to worry about QoS. Everything worked without any prioritization since there was more than enough bandwidth, up and down, to go around.

Now at my GFs house I have setup QoS in her router since she is on a slow DSL connection. WHich does help some. But you can only do so much with a slow connection.
I guess I'll leave it up to you to say if 80/40 (plus powerboost) is slow.

VoIP uses only a few k at best quality. It's highly subject to latency problems, just like newscast conversations taking place on opposite sides of the planet. Not the best example of the "latency" in the manner I am trying to speak of, but the result is about the same. Also, if packets get delayed too long, there will be garbling, or corruption, of the stream, as the packets arrive out-of-order, or are dropped.

I'd very often be so far out of sync with the other party on a VoIP call to a store a few blocks away, it was easier to just use a cell phone.

In past exchanges we've had about this you keep repeating things along the lines how with gigE, QoS really has no place in the equation, and/or talking about modern internet speeds being so fast. Then I keep saying that higher speeds don't improve latency, but instead tends to increase it (lower/lesser is better on latency, higher/more is worse).

I use the speedtest sites, which give my internet an A+ rating, but the tests designed for VoIP testing, say it's terrible.

I think that "powerboost" (boosting speeds momentarily, then throttling them back) is the root of my problems with VoIP, and some other things, like Netflix.

With QoS on, my router throttles the speed-boosting, and gives more of a flat and consistent speed. I believe this autocorrects the latency problem. The improvement I see when running tests with QoS show an unmistakable and consistent improvement in VoIP suitability tests, and all I lose is a few seconds of doubled, or tripled, speed. What on earth do I need < 5 seconds of boost for, anyway? It's just another way Cox gets to make exaggerated claims, then cover themselves by putting real expectations in fine print (which are still not guaranteed minimums).

In my quest to make VoIP work on two BasicTalk (discount Walmart Vonage) VoIP boxes for two "lines", and equal the experience of two landlines, I succeeded. On top of that, I now actually prefer to use my Roamios for streaming most supported internet video. Before this, I'd rather find something else to do, than use a TiVo for internet streaming. It was just that awful of an experience. This is why I always post when those switches go on sale, and speak so highly of them. While TiVos don't support QoS, if they are plugged into a QoS-by-color port, or I assign the TiVo MAC a priority, and the switch at least honors the tags, there will still be a difference in latency from the router to the switch.

Ethernet switches use "store and forward". QoS says "these packets going to this device get to go first", in the simplest way I can possibly describe it.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 05-23-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: explained latency is better when lower/lesser
Old 05-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #85
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Ethernet switches use "store and forward". QoS says "these packets going to this device get to go first", in the simplest way I can possibly describe it.
And unless you are saturating your GigE network with full speed internal file transfers on a regular basis, most folks will never notice a diff. Router-wise I completely agree that QoS could be necessary for reliable VoIP quality.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #86
Bigg

Quote:
Most Netgear products tend to have blinding LEDs, and a few don't have LEDs.
I have a LOT of devices that have black or white electrical tape on them just to hide the absurd LEDs.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #87
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I have a LOT of devices that have black or white electrical tape on them just to hide the absurd LEDs.
I have been using LightDIMs to cover bright LEDs. They have worked very well. They have some that block 100% of the light and some that block around 80% of the light.

http://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Orig.../dp/B009WSJNCW
Old 05-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #88
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I have been using LightDIMs to cover bright LEDs. They have worked very well. They have some that block 100% of the light and some that block around 80% of the light.

http://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Orig.../dp/B009WSJNCW
Those are pretty cool! 80% would be my choice, since I like to still be able to use the lights for diagnostics, just not have them blasting in my face.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #89
Alf Tanner

I've got 3 gigabit switches on my network and 2 routers. 2 Tivo minis and a roamio pro work well and I've had no issues, including a ridiculous torture test I engineered for the whole network.

Main router: Asus n66u
upstairs router: Linksys e4200v1
downstairs switch 1: Dlink green 8 port unmanaged switch
downstairs switch 2: tenda 5 port unmanaged switch
upstairs switch 1: dlink 8 port smart switch.

The most things I've seen on my network map was 40+ at once. I went through and wired everything with cat5e that could be wired, and a few months later replaced everything but a few cables with shielded cat6 cable.
Alf Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #90
Alf Tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
I can't dispute that having QOS active appears to help your home network however Tivo does not implement any interaction with QOS tagging, they simply aren't that advanced.

As far as someone getting 900 mbps with unmanaged switches and questioning why TiVo's can't come remotely close to such, such is simply not remotely possible with TiVo's as there isn't enough processor power to put that much data across the network interface. TiVo's in terms of network throughput are as about advanced as a 1995 PC with a 10 mb ethernet interface, you do understand that there is a major difference between mbps and mbs? While series 5 Roamio TiVo's can transfer much faster than any other Tivo before them, Tivo dvrs were never designed with networking in mind, they are engineered to process video decoding and processing, file transfer was an afterthought.

The two reasons that Roamio Plus and pro have Gb ethernet is for one the chipset availability and they are designed to handle multiple 100mb clients. Unknown to most logically, a third reason is that the ethernet port on the plus & pro is technically part of 1gb switched port and not the direct interface to a single Gb ethernet interface. Internally the Roamio Plus and pro shares the actual ethernet, Stream and Moca interfaces connected internally (all shared) and the fourth port is the external connection that you connect to your network. From a design point of view, this why the Roamio basic only has 10/100 ethernet as it's interface is a direct Nic and not part of a shared ethernet switch. When you connect your Roamio Plus or PRO to your home network switch, this is in fact a second switched connection.

This part is super important for anyone with a stout home networking setup like I have. using MoCa + ethernet will wreck your throughput speed to any device with a wired ethernet cable or wireless. I did quite a bit of testing with my setup before disabling the moca, pulling up carpet and running an ethernet connection to my previously MoCa connected Tivo mini.
Alf Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote