TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #631
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykotix View Post
If I understand your original methodology, I would have the original VHD backup, create a blank 2TB VHD on the 3TB drive and have the eventual 4TB destination drive physically connected. All 3 drives would be connected to the VM (booting JMFS?) - 320gb VHD, 2TB VHD, 4TB physical.
The first goal would be to create a 2TB drive based on the 758 image and let it update in the TiVo to the latest software. Until the OS is updated it won't even boot on a larger drive even though the partition table is only using 2TB of the available space. I started my 4TB upgrade with an image of the original 758 drive running on a WD20EURS.

The second virtual drive would be created with Disk Manager on Windows 7 or later. I don't know virtualbox, but if it talks VHD files it should work.

After that we get to the complicated bits...
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #632
cykotix

Is there a need to start with a 758 image if I have the factory 746 drive and it's going back in the same 746? That image already has the latest software since its in use.
cykotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #633
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykotix View Post
Is there a need to start with a 758 image if I have the factory 746 drive and it's going back in the same 746? That image already has the latest software since its in use.
Not at all. I just started there because my 748 was already running the 758 image to see if it worked. It's a handy starting point due to the 2TB factory layout and 4K alignment.

See jmbach's 3TB thread for details. The process will be similar. Expand to 2TB and coalesce partitions back down to 14, then expand into the remaining space.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512153
Old 05-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #634
boyet_m

Anyone has a clean image of a 750500? Thanks
boyet_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #635
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyet_m View Post
Anyone has a clean image of a 750500? Thanks
PM sent.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #636
randomtech

Thanks!

I succeeded in reviving my Premiere XL with your tool. Thanks so much. I have also expanded with JMFS to 2 TB. I have not succeeded in getting the WD Align tool to work on the drive though. I find the instructions her daunting. If anyone has a cheat sheet on how to accomplish thin on an existing drive I would like to see it. Perhaps you might consider integrating JMFS and an Align function or streamlining the process? I made a small donation to the cause. Thanks again.
randomtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #637
jmbach

WD Align tool does not recognize the TiVo partition structure so it will not work. There is a tool that will copy and align the drive. (the tool is found in the 4TB DIY thread or in the 320GB > 1TB > 2TB thread) it will align during the copy process from one drive to another.

Last edited by jmbach : 05-30-2014 at 10:43 PM.
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:42 AM   #638
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
WD Align tool does not recognize the TiVo partition structure so it will not work. There is a tool that will copy and align the drive. (the tool is found in the 4TB DIY thread or in the 320GB > 1TB > 2TB thread) it will align during the copy process from one drive to another.
Would that tool work for the original S3 OLED except for the JMFS expansion (alignment that is going from 1TB to 2TB) and would WinMFS then be able to expand the resulting drive?

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #639
UCLABB

I now have a good replacement drive and I'm ready to clone my HDD. However, I'm worried that I may copy some bad data, stuff that is causing problems on the HDD, and I'll just end up with the same problems on the cloned drive. If that happens, can I use the new drive to simply put an image on it after erasing the drive or whatever is appropriate. I'm not sure how to "erase" the drive if that would work.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:20 PM   #640
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Would that tool work for the original S3 OLED except for the JMFS expansion (alignment that is going from 1TB to 2TB) and would WinMFS then be able to expand the resulting drive?

Scott
I believe it will and it should not affect WinMFS operation.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #641
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I now have a good replacement drive and I'm ready to clone my HDD. However, I'm worried that I may copy some bad data, stuff that is causing problems on the HDD, and I'll just end up with the same problems on the cloned drive. If that happens, can I use the new drive to simply put an image on it after erasing the drive or whatever is appropriate. I'm not sure how to "erase" the drive if that would work.
If there is corruption in the OS partitions or the MFS application partitions the problems will probably continue. In that case, starting over from a clean image would be your best option.

Erasing the drive isn't necessary, but if you use DvrBARS and want to be absolutely sure, just do a Full restore instead of a Quick restore. That will zero out the unused sectors.

On a 2TB Premiere, about 99.7% of the drive is taken up by the MFS media partitions, so your odds of a successful clone are actually pretty good. Even if you do copy a few corrupt recordings it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:19 AM   #642
Jeremy999

I would love to get a clean image for my Premiere XL TCD74800.

I was in a GSOD loop that I started when I did KS57 to try and fix an apparent drive issue. I bought a new 3TB drive today and used ddrescue to clone the old drive. But the new drive is also stuck in GSOD now.
Jeremy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #643
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy999 View Post
I would love to get a clean image for my Premiere XL TCD74800.

I was in a GSOD loop that I started when I did KS57 to try and fix an apparent drive issue. I bought a new 3TB drive today and used ddrescue to clone the old drive. But the new drive is also stuck in GSOD now.
I sent you a PM with a link to the image, but there's another problem unless you made a typo. The factory 748 image has version 14.5 software, and it won't boot on a 3TB drive. You need to write the image to a 1 or 2 TB drive first and let it update to the latest software. Then you can back it up and restore it to the 3TB drive. Check out jmbach's 3TB Premiere thread for info on expanding it to use the entire disk.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:15 AM   #644
Jeremy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I sent you a PM with a link to the image, but there's another problem unless you made a typo. The factory 748 image has version 14.5 software, and it won't boot on a 3TB drive. You need to write the image to a 1 or 2 TB drive first and let it update to the latest software. Then you can back it up and restore it to the 3TB drive. Check out jmbach's 3TB Premiere thread for info on expanding it to use the entire disk.
Thanks for the image...it got me back up and running! Any tips on how to get the Tivo to download the new software version? I've manually connected 7 times and rebooted 3 times, but I'm still on 14.5. I even tried KS 56 once and that didnt do anything.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #645
ggieseke

Every time I've run it, the update is immediate. You get just far enough into Guided Setup for it to connect to the mothership and it makes that first monster download.

You could try running C&DE.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #646
Jeremy999

Quote:
Every time I've run it, the update is immediate. You get just far enough into Guided Setup for it to connect to the mothership and it makes that first monster download.

You could try running C&DE.
I tried C&DE, but I still couldn't get the software to update. I noticed in the var/tvlog that there is a repeating error relating to an SSL certificate failing to be validated. I'm not sure if that's related or not, but a Tivo rep said they updated their SSL certificates in Oct 2013.

A Tivo support rep told me that their systems don't allow a version as old as 14.5 to pull down the current version of their software anymore. He gave me a real hard time about how could my software mysteriously revert back to v14.5 without me doing something that isn't allowed, and tried telling me that I'm not supported anymore.

Does anyone have a newer image for the Premiere XL (748)?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #647
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy999 View Post
I tried C&DE, but I still couldn't get the software to update. I noticed in the var/tvlog that there is a repeating error relating to an SSL certificate failing to be validated. I'm not sure if that's related or not, but a Tivo rep said they updated their SSL certificates in Oct 2013.

A Tivo support rep told me that their systems don't allow a version as old as 14.5 to pull down the current version of their software anymore. He gave me a real hard time about how could my software mysteriously revert back to v14.5 without me doing something that isn't allowed, and tried telling me that I'm not supported anymore.

Does anyone have a newer image for the Premiere XL (748)?
Weird. I have been sending that image to people at least a few times a month since April 2013, and if anyone else had problems with updating they didn't mention it. Also, they usually ship every TiVo with the same OS that it came with originally and make you sit through the update.

I don't have a newer "clean" image, but I'll try to replicate your problem this weekend. If they have done something to keep 14.5 drives from updating automatically most of my images are shot.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #648
squint

What is a "clean" image? Are they from TiVos straight out of the box before even being on for the first time?

If not, I have a lifetime 748 that has no recordings on it and which I believe was given a clear and delete everything by its previous owner. It's been connected to the 'net recently so I'm sure it's fairly up-to-date.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #649
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
What is a "clean" image? Are they from TiVos straight out of the box before even being on for the first time?

If not, I have a lifetime 748 that has no recordings on it and which I believe was given a clear and delete everything by its previous owner. It's been connected to the 'net recently so I'm sure it's fairly up-to-date.
That should be fine, especially after the C&DE. There's something in later OS releases that throws off my calculations for truncated backups and they're too big to be practical. I think it's including recordings even though it shouldn't.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #650
ggieseke

Jeremy999,

OK, it's definitely NOT a certificate issue. I restored the same 748 image running 14.5 to a 1TB drive this morning before work (I did a Full restore) and installed it this afternoon.

I told it my zip code was 00000 and after the first call home (about 10 minutes) later I chose "Tiny TiVo" and "CableCARD to come later". Thanks nooneyouknow for that tip.

It went through the first call home in a few minutes and immediately said that an Important Service Update was pending. I won't go into every detail since your internet speed will have a HUGE effect, but about an hour later after rebooting itself a few times and another call home it was on 20.4.1.

When I set up that same XL the first time it took nearly the whole day and several failed downloads, but I guess a 50Mbps Comcast connection beats my old DSL line to death.

You're probably going to have to add a C&DE to my results since the original image came off of my XL, but the SSL excuse is BS. If you try this procedure and it still doesn't update, I would call TiVo and have them create an entirely new account for you and switch it to that account. That has fixed a surprising number of really weird problems lately over at the official TiVo forums.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #651
squint

Do you still need a 748 image from me?
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #652
telemark

Jeremy999: I had a box with that symptom. I was waiting for ggieseke to run his test before mentioning it.

I assumed the SSL errors were blocking the update. But closer I looked at it, the box was not being told there was a new update by the servers. Which is a mapping based on the TSN.

Do you know the history of this this box, did it come from an odd source? Was it updating before your HD replacement?

I never made any progress except, eventually the next SW release was about to come up, and signing up for the priority list, made it go away, and has updated automatically since.

My personal opinion:
In retrospect, I would not have done this, because the newer updates is making the box slower. I would have just updated to a 20.3.8-ish image and be glad it's never going to get anything new, but it's not going to break either.

Last edited by telemark : 06-19-2014 at 12:26 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:25 AM   #653
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I told it my zip code was 00000 and after the first call home (about 10 minutes) later I chose "Tiny TiVo" and "CableCARD to come later". Thanks nooneyouknow for that tip.
You're welcome, I think

If you thought it was a timesaver with the old installer, you should try it after the update, with the added advanced Installer Express option (skips all the minor settings, and only does what must be done to update and complete)!

BTW, using that was a critical part of me recovering that one Roamio with the database issues, while I was refusing/resisting doing a C&DE, change drives, or trying putting my TiVos under a new account.

I did a series of repeating GS w/00000, CPI&TDL, KS57&58, then back to correct lineup, and that "problem child" is now back up to full speed, and not rebooting. No loss of SPs or recordings!

I get the feeling that TiVo corrupted quite a few TSNs/accounts, and just how many will take time for us to find out. I'm sure some will require new accounts.

I'm with telemark, on wishing it was possible to recreate a lock-out of updates. I'd love to be stuck on 20.3.8, and not suffering the 20.4.1 blues...

I know that would likely cause issues, but would they be more issues than TiVo already provides us, as-is?

I wonder what TiVo will fix (break) with the "Summer Update"...
Old 06-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #654
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Do you still need a 748 image from me?
I'm going to image it tonight after work in case Jeremy999 can't get his to update any other way. Since it has no recordings it should be less than 2GB, but I'll let you know if I need one. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #655
telemark

The other reason I mentioned 20.3.8 is we'll know the same day the box is still not updating. If he installs with 20.4.1, we won't know it's still broken until the next software update.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #656
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
The other reason I mentioned 20.3.8 is we'll know the same day the box is still not updating. If he installs with 20.4.1, we won't know it's still broken until the next software update.
One of my goals is to find a way to stop updates, without killing the TiVo. See my post in the 4TB project thread about a way I might have found, by accident.

It's a way that would only work pre-Roamio (before system on flash design). I had accidentally typed ddrescue /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 , essentially knocking an alternate system partition out of action, by copying the boot sector to the beginning of it. Didn't break the TiVo, wasn't repairable with kickskarts, but also didn't create a bootloop, as I would have fully expected when I threw the kickstarts at it.

I'm sure you'll be able to figure out if it will block more than just a KS52 attempt to change the active partition & re-install, such as a freshly downloaded update.

Everybody else: Please don't try this at home, unless you are willing to have to re-image due to unforeseen issues/complications, which could also happen down the road, not just right now.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #657
bacon612

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnig1 View Post
FYI: it does work for the directivo THR22-100. i messed around with another drive, and it appears to have worked fine.

But, i originally had a 1tb installed, and tried it with a new 2TB and wasnt able to get the additional space allocated. Im sure its something i did wrong, so ill mess around a little more and try again

You ever get this to work? I am about to upgrade my THR22-100 with its 500 GB drive to a spare 1.5TB drive i have laying around.

Edit: Somehow the 500 gig seagate pipeline in my dtv tivo died when i removed it. It wont spin up anymore. I popped a 1.5TB seagate in it and it formatted it and is working great. I did loose all my content tho. Whatever.

Last edited by bacon612 : 06-24-2014 at 04:55 PM.
bacon612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #658
awilson8

Help with image?

Sorry to fill up thread but I don't have the post count to PM.

Seeking clean image for 758250 that died today. I promise that I shall never again let a TiVo exit warranty status without backing it up first...
awilson8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:53 AM   #659
[NG]Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Go to the DvrBARS thread and pitch for an image there. The image you get will need to be updated to at least version 20.3.8 for the TiVo to recognize a 3TB drive or larger.
So I am here pitching for an image. TCD746xxx updated to at least 20.3.8. Anyone help a fellow Tivo enthusiast out?

[NG]Owner
[NG]Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #660
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilson8 View Post
Sorry to fill up thread but I don't have the post count to PM.

Seeking clean image for 758250 that died today. I promise that I shall never again let a TiVo exit warranty status without backing it up first...
PM sent.