TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #1111
mcluvin

I bought an extra plus and mini for my parents but think I'm just going to let them go with a Brighthouse DVR. If anyone has an interest, you can have them for price paid + $20. If you want a slider remote, I can offer one at the discounted price. Prefer dealing with someone local. I'm in the Jacksonville, FL area for a couple more weeks, then moving to Deland, FL. Items are brand new unopened.

Thanks,
Chris
mcluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #1112
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcluvin View Post
I bought an extra plus and mini for my parents but think I'm just going to let them go with a Brighthouse DVR. If anyone has an interest, you can have them for price paid + $20. If you want a slider remote, I can offer one at the discounted price. Prefer dealing with someone local. I'm in the Jacksonville, FL area for a couple more weeks, then moving to Deland, FL. Items are brand new unopened.

Thanks,
Chris
Sounds like a (potentially) smart move...

I often regret being the one to suggest (sometimes push) TiVo to friends and family. It tends to come back and bite me, since they tend to expect me to provide ALL support and even handle getting RMAs, etc...

If I have to be the villain, one more time, due to them missing "Days of Our Lives", or whatever show, even when it was their own fault, I'm about ready to rip out their TiVos, pay them off, and tell them to enjoy whatever alternative they choose, and to call the support number that goes with their choice, instead of taking every issue out on me.

TiVo isn't for everybody. One thing leased equipment has going for it is that you can abuse it, or when accidents happen (even intentional ones), it just gets replaced, at no cost. Yes, I realize this still causes loss of recordings. At least I won't be the one they get mad at when it happens.

I still have to keep reminding myself of the "pros" of owning TiVos, when mine get poltergeists in them, and I get caught in the middle of TiVo and the Cable Company each blaming each other, or just telling me it's my problem, not theirs...

The day TiVo locks down on being able to swap in bigger drives, will likely be the day I part-ways with TiVo ownership. I've locked that down as being what keeps me with TiVo. The rest of the things TiVo has that leased equipment doesn't, even added together, doesn't equal enough

Don't get me wrong. I love TiVo. It's a love/hate relationship, though. What I really hate is when everything is working, TiVo pushes out a software update, and then things aren't working well, at all, even two more updates later...

Admittedly, I seem to be in an unlucky minority of people who are negatively affected by a change TiVo made to try and improve things for the majority.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #1113
yukit

I took advantage of spherular deal on ebay (actually the seller was spherular2 so it may have been a poser.) The code did work fine.

This did save me at least $100 on the similar transaction I was temped with the hoops deal. It is not a lot in a bigger picture, but I figure I will take the deal now rather than waiting for another offer at the next quarter-end.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #1114
sakaike

Like yukit, I recently purchased a code from Spherular2 (who is the same as Spherular), and the code was legitimate, and saved me hundreds over a direct purchase of my Roamio Pro and Mini, both with lifetime directly from TiVo.

This is the real deal, nothing complicated in the transaction with TiVo. Just input the coupon code provided via email from Spherular which was received within minutes of payment confirmation, and you're done.

Units were activated with lifetime prior to shipping, so upon receipt at home, it was just a matter of inserting the cablecard and initiating Guided Setup. I have Fios and have no premium channels, so pairing was not required. Couldn't have been an easier experience overall.

If any of you are on the fence regarding purchasing codes from Spherular, I hope this endorsement helps your decision making.
sakaike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #1115
spherular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakaike View Post
Like yukit, I recently purchased a code from Spherular2 (who is the same as Spherular), and the code was legitimate, and saved me hundreds over a direct purchase of my Roamio Pro and Mini, both with lifetime directly from TiVo.

This is the real deal, nothing complicated in the transaction with TiVo. Just input the coupon code provided via email from Spherular which was received within minutes of payment confirmation, and you're done.

Units were activated with lifetime prior to shipping, so upon receipt at home, it was just a matter of inserting the cablecard and initiating Guided Setup. I have Fios and have no premium channels, so pairing was not required. Couldn't have been an easier experience overall.

If any of you are on the fence regarding purchasing codes from Spherular, I hope this endorsement helps your decision making.
Thanks for the write up...if I can help anyone else out please reach out

<spherular> <at> <gmail.com>
spherular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #1116
ohmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherular View Post
Thanks for the write up...if I can help anyone else out please reach out

<spherular> <at> <gmail.com>
Two questions:
1. Do Tivo's terms and conditions of your codes permit transfer and/or sale of the code?
2. If transfer/sale is not permitted, then what assurance is there that Tivo won't, at some point, do an audit and revoke the lifetime subscriptions?
Thanks.
ohmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #1117
spherular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmark View Post
Two questions:
1. Do Tivo's terms and conditions of your codes permit transfer and/or sale of the code?
2. If transfer/sale is not permitted, then what assurance is there that Tivo won't, at some point, do an audit and revoke the lifetime subscriptions?
Thanks.
I obtain my codes directly from TiVo and not through the channels discussed elsewhere, as such the same set of terms and conditions do not apply. TiVo have the right to Audit code use, but codes obtained legitimately will not have any issue, those that are not...
Old 05-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #1118
ohmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherular View Post
I obtain my codes directly from TiVo and not through the channels discussed elsewhere, as such the same set of terms and conditions do not apply. TiVo have the right to Audit code use, but codes obtained legitimately will not have any issue, those that are not...
Great; but again--do the terms and conditions of the codes that you obtained from Tivo allow transfer/sale?
ohmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #1119
spherular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmark View Post
Great; but again--do the terms and conditions of the codes that you obtained from Tivo allow transfer/sale?
There are no such terms in effect. The codes I offer are unrestricted.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #1120
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Very interesting.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #1121
acheapjoe

Spherular, will the codes work for existing customers or only good for new fresh accounts?
acheapjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #1122
spherular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acheapjoe View Post
Spherular, will the codes work for existing customers or only good for new fresh accounts?
It works fine for existing customers, but only on new equipment - so no $300 discounted lifetime for existing TiVo's, sorry.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #1123
acheapjoe

Thanks, have a Premiere with lifetime and looking to add a Roamio.
acheapjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #1124
spherular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acheapjoe View Post
Thanks, have a Premiere with lifetime and looking to add a Roamio.
Feel free to email me <spherular> <at> <gmail.com> or contact me on eBay. I'll help out all I can.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #1125
Prepper

Thumbs up

I ordered a code from spherular yesterday afternoon for a very fair price. I received it almost instantly. Great communication, this guy is legit.

Just used the code this morning to order a Roamio Pro, 3 minis and a slide remote and saved over $400!

Anybody thinking about upgrading or adding to your existing system, this is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Thanks again spherular!
Prepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #1126
Huzordaddy

I bought a code from Spherular today. I contacted him via email. It came quickly, and worked just fine to save me hundreds off the price of a Roamio Pro.
Huzordaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:23 PM   #1127
tarheelblue32

Nooneuknow makes a fair point. I think it is fine to generally point out in this thread that these codes do exist. But if someone wants to discuss their own experience with a specific code seller, or if someone wants to know more about where or from whom they can get these codes, they should be redirected to the buyer/seller forum area.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #1128
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'd say this is a better spot since this is a deals thread. So people can post the deal and the experience with the seller. I don't think I would ever be looking for info like that in the sales forum. I would expect there to be only sales there,
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #1129
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'd say this is a better spot since this is a deals thread. So people can post the deal and the experience with the seller. I don't think I would ever be looking for info like that in the sales forum. I would expect there to be only sales there,
I agree, as the sales part of this Forums is for the hardware itself, most likely a one time offer, the codes are different, no hardware itself, just how to get a good deal on such hardware.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #1130
Prepper

I only knew about the codes and this particular seller because of THIS thread, so that is why I posted here. I don't see anything wrong with letting anyone else like myself who comes to THIS thread looking for a deal that this seller is legit.
Prepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #1131
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper View Post
I only knew about the codes and this particular seller because of THIS thread, so that is why I posted here. I don't see anything wrong with letting anyone else like myself who comes to THIS thread looking for a deal that this seller is legit.
You were looking for a deal on a new Roamio, not somebody's resale, so you came to this Thread, for any resale of a Roamio itself one would go the sellers Thread.
If Best Buy has a great sale for a new Roamio, post to this Thread, if one has a Roamio (or other TiVo hardware) to sell, post in the other Thread.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #1132
Bytez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper View Post
I also found the deal from this thread.
Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:02 PM   #1133
randy1649

In the past, sometimes, Tivo had FATHERS DAY sales. Free units, but with longer contract terms. Would be nice. Just wondering....
randy1649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #1134
boyet_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy1649 View Post
In the past, sometimes, Tivo had FATHERS DAY sales. Free units, but with longer contract terms. Would be nice. Just wondering....
Hope it happens.
boyet_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #1135
stedmakr

I'm another guy that upgraded with an ebay code

The bottom line is that I upgraded from a TIVO HD and a $12.95 monthly charge to a Roamio Plus $299 and lifetime $300 for a total of $599. The code cost me $30. The Roamio and its Ipad app are out of this world compared to the functional TIVO HD and lifetime will payoff in 23 months. In total I saved around $300 off of the best alternate price I could find and I'm excited that the payoff time is so short.

So the way it worked was the seller posted a "buy it now" code on ebay. I offered less than the buy it now price. Within 3 minutes I received an email from the seller saying that he accepted the bid. I paid through paypal and the seller sent me the code. The entire process took about 15 minutes. At this point I told my wife what I was going to do and received her okay.

The next step was to go to the tivo site and buy the tivo with lifetime. It took a few minutes for me to find the "enter promo code" section of the cart. I did so and purchased the item. Tivo sent a receipt about two hours later. The Tivo shipped from Texas and upon receipt I took the cable card out of the TIVO HD and put it in the Roamio. It took two calls to comcast before HBO came through. Everything was too easy.

If you look at the item on ebay and then the sellers feedback percentage its a strong indicator that you will get what you pay for.
stedmakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:41 PM   #1136
spherular

I hope no-one thinks I'm out of line, but I just wanted to caution people about the price paid for a code. Sometimes I have a large supply of codes and sometimes I don't. Right now supply is less than normal so I'm unlikely to accept lower offers. It may be that the price accepted goes down again, but it may well have to increase.

I'm always happy to entertain offers, but please don't expect the price paid to always be the same for everyone.

Thanks again
Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #1137
tallmomof2

Thanks to spherular I just saved $551.95 on a Roamio Pro and two minis! Totally legit, I received the code within 5 minutes and ordered from Tivo within another 5 minutes. Now, off to Verizon.com to order a cable card and return my lousy Motorola boxes.
tallmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #1138
P42

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy1649 View Post
Like these:
http://slickdeals.net/f/6975580-tivo...2yr-commitment

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #1139
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
Ouch.. that is expensive. You pay all that money and at the end of two years you still don't have lifetime service.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #1140
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Ouch.. that is expensive. You pay all that money and at the end of two years you still don't have lifetime service.
Well, yes it's more expensive than just buying lifetime service in the long run, but those prices aren't terrible compared to their usual retail pricing. They are effectively charging $5/month more than normal for monthly service, so over 2 years that amounts to $120. So you are basically paying $120 for a Roamio basic, $220 for a Plus, and $320 for a Pro.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote