TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2014, 01:55 AM   #1
Bytez

Tivo Warranty versus Square Trade

I bought a Roamio Plus with lifetime and a 3 year warranty from Tivo and just realized that you only get one replacement with the Tivo warranty and have to pay $150 for a replacement unit. Square Trade currently have a 35% off coupon which knocks their 3 year warranty to just $35. What is the drawback of each? I'm also concerned about transferring the lifetime service to the replacement if it can't or won't be repaired. I could still cancel the warranty contract from Tivo as long as I'm within the first 30 days, right? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I also get an extra year of warranty since I used the Chase Freedom Visa card. So, with the included 1 year warranty, it's a 2 year warranty without any extended warranty plan. Does anyone now if Tivo honors the Chase card warranty? It might not be worth to get the 3 year extended warranty after all. I'm basically paying for an extra year of warranty for the price of 3 years, right?

Last edited by Bytez : 05-22-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Squaretrade also covers one replacement. BestBuy is the same way. If it can't be fixed it will be replaced. But it only covers one replacement.

The difference with the TiVo warranty is that they will not try to fix it. They automatically replace it. But from what I was told that is also the case with BestBuy. They don't try to fix it either.

Also. I have no idea where paying $150 for a replacement unit comes from. If the TiVo is under the extended warranty coverage I've never heard of a $150 fee. Maybe when it's out of warranty?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
waynomo
My One Time

It's not up to TiVo to honor the Chase warranty. You deal with Chase or their underwriter.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
ohmark

I understand lifetime transfers if Tivo replaces. What about if Square Trade or anybody else replaces under warranty?
ohmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Squaretrade also covers one replacement. BestBuy is the same way. If it can't be fixed it will be replaced. But it only covers one replacement.

The difference with the TiVo warranty is that they will not try to fix it. They automatically replace it. But from what I was told that is also the case with BestBuy. They don't try to fix it either.

Also. I have no idea where paying $150 for a replacement unit comes from. If the TiVo is under the extended warranty coverage I've never heard of a $150 fee. Maybe when it's out of warranty?
The $150 is for a replacement after 1 year but less than 3 years old, it includes the Lifetime xfer. I don't know if this applies to the Roamio, but it did to the other HD TiVos

Old 05-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The $150 is for a replacement after 1 year but less than 3 years old, it includes the Lifetime xfer. I don't know if this applies to the Roamio, but it did to the other HD TiVos
So that is when you don't have an extended warranty since the original warranty is one year.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
Bytez

Thanks for your responses. So, if the Square Trade's 3 year warranty is $5 cheaper than Tivo's 3 year warranty, which one would you guys use? Anyone have experience dealing with either?
Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
mae

Lifetime transfer with Best Buy Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytez View Post
Thanks for your responses. So, if the Square Trade's 3 year warranty is $5 cheaper than Tivo's 3 year warranty, which one would you guys use? Anyone have experience dealing with either?
TiVo transferred my lifetime when Best Buy replaced my Premier with a Romio, see my experience here, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=514639.

TiVo's policy (linked in that thread) would apply to other retailers but arguably not to a third party like Square Trade, since it states:

"The TiVo DVR was exchanged under warranty, either through the retailer or the manufacturer. (Proof of this exchange will be required)."(emphasis added)
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So that is when you don't have an extended warranty since the original warranty is one year.
Yes that when you have no extended warranty, one must be carful when using any non TiVo extended warranty as to make sure that the Lifetime Service is also xfered. under that warranty. I know that Best Buy is OK for that warranty Lifetime xfer., but others co. I have no information on.