TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 AM   #2521
jetcobra

Thanks for the inputs. I did Copy, Expand and Supersize all in one shot, so to get the full 479 do I follow the process from JMBach below step for step again on the same drive? I am not a super user of TIVO but can follow directions well, so I only want to do this if there is no possibility of messing up. When you say 1TB image you mean the original Premiere image right? My Premiere was a basic so its HDD is 500GB. Thanks again for the help.

"For what ever reason, Cybernut's original expansion did not use all the sectors available. So we reset his image by modifying the partition map to indicate the original expansion partition was gone and let the TiVo divorce the partition. Once that was done, used JMFS to expand and supersize. This time it used all the space available and we finally got the expected result.

Not sure why JMFS did not do it correctly the first time. Perhaps because the copy and expansion occurred in one session versus doing the copy and expansion in separate sessions.

FWIW, this was the process I used when I made the 3TB image:
a) copied my 1TB image to the 3TB drive
b) shut down the computer with JMFS and removed the drive
c) boot the 1TB image on the 3TB drive in my TiVo and once I made sure the image was fully operational, via the menu options, restarted the TiVo and pulled the power upon restart
d) restarted JMFS and did the expansion and supersize.
e) placed the drive back in the TiVo and booted up"

"Life is tough; it gets tougher if you're STUPID" John Wayne
jetcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #2522
jmbach

Is that 1TB image a previously expanded one or one that is 1TB from TiVo.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #2523
jmbach

Never mind. Reread your post and you have a 500GB native image. To get the full 3TB of storage, you will have to expand to 1TB first and then do a little rearranging of the partitions and then do another expansion with JMFS. There are tools available to do this and they are found here.

Last edited by jmbach : 05-16-2014 at 04:31 PM.
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #2524
jetcobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Is that 1TB image a previously expanded one or one that is 1TB from TiVo.
The 1TB referred to in my reply above was the one that Cybernut was doing. My premiere has a 500GB HDD original in the TIVO. I used this as a baseline for the 3TB and did the Copy, Expand and Supersize all in one shot and got 430 hours of HD.

My question is do I redo the whole process including all of the steps below on my already supersized 3TB in order to get the full 479 hours?

a)the copy from the original 500GB to the 3TB drive
b) shut down the computer with JMFS and remove the drive
c) boot the 500GB image on the 3TB drive in my TiVo and make sure the image is fully operational, then, via the menu options, restart the TiVo and pull the power upon restart
d) restart JMFS and do the expansion and supersize.
e) place the drive back in the TiVo and booted up"

"Life is tough; it gets tougher if you're STUPID" John Wayne
jetcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #2525
jmbach

The easiest way is to:
1) Copy your 500GB image to the 3TB drive.
2) Use hdparm on the JMFS iso to limit the drive to about 1TB temporarily and then use JMFS to expand.
3) Put the drive in the TiVo to make sure it works. (EDIT: By power cycling the drive when it is removed from the computer and placed in the TiVo, it removes the hdparm setting and places it back to its normal setting. This holds true as long as you do not use the permanent setting for the number of visible sectors. If you do then you will have to use hdparm to revert the changes. Just make sure you note the original sector count.)
4) Remove the drive from the TiVo and use the scripts in the thread I pointed to in an earlier post to rearrange and coalesce the partition structure.
5) Expand the drive again with JMFS. It will now have the full 3TB recording space.

Read the whole thread I pointed to in my previous post as this is what you are trying to do to get the whole 3TB.

If JMFS gets patched, then you could use the same method using a 2TB drive as an interim to expand onto a 4TB drive. Currently JMFS has a bug in it that limits its usefulness to images that are under 1.5TB in size.

To try to expand your current 2.5TB image to 3TB will require you to slide the added partition to the end of the drive and use a secondary interim drive to create a partition about 500GB in size to slip on to the 3TB drive in the space you opened up by sliding the added partition down. Much easier to do it the first way.

Last edited by jmbach : 05-17-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:15 AM   #2526
unitron

Quote:
The easiest way is to copy your 500GB image to the 3TB drive. Use hdparm on the JMFS iso to limit the drive to about 1TB temporarily and then use JMFS to expand. Put the drive in the TiVo to make sure it works. Remove the drive from the TiVo and use the scripts in the thread I pointed to earlier to rearrange and coalesce the partition structure followed by expanding again with JMFS. Read the whole thread as this is what you are trying to do to get the whole 3TB. If JMFS gets patched, then you could use the same method using a 2TB drive as an interim to expand onto a 4TB drive. Currently JMFS has a bug in it that limits its usefulness to images that are under 1.5TB in size.
To try to expand your current 2.5TB image to 3TB will require you to slide the added partition to the end of the drive and use a secondary interim drive to create a partition about 500GB in size to slip in the 3TB drive in the space you opened up by sliding the added partition down. Much easier to o it the first way.
Did you leave out the step where you go back and undo adding an HPA with hdparm?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #2527
jmbach

Actually I did not. There are two ways to limit the sectors on a drive. One way survives a power cycle of a drive and the other does not. The method I used in the 4TB DIY is the temporary method. When you run that hdparm command, the limitation of sectors remains as long as the drive is not powered off. Once it is powered off and powered back on, the drive returns to its normal state. So once you remove the drive from your computer and put it back in the TiVo for testing, the drive has been power cycled and now back to its normal state.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #2528
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Actually I did not. There are two ways to limit the sectors on a drive. One way survives a power cycle of a drive and the other does not. The method I used in the 4TB DIY is the temporary method. When you run that hdparm command, the limitation of sectors remains as long as the drive is not powered off. Once it is powered off and powered back on, the drive returns to its normal state. So once you remove the drive from your computer and put it back in the TiVo for testing, the drive has been power cycled and now back to its normal state.
I apologize, then.

I use hdparm, so infrequently, that I forgot not using the persistence option reverts the values on power cycle.

Hitachi Feature Tool can also create both temporary and permanent changes in the available LBA count (although "permanent" implies irreversible, which it is NOT). It does explain that the temporary one won't stay if the drive is power-cycled. It does do the same thing as setting a HPA.

There are some minor downsides with using HFT. It has two modes, one being select a drive size (which doesn't work on very large drives), and set by LBA (which is offset by 1 LBA unit, due to how it treats the first LBA as being LBA 0 or 1, which I can't recall which one it is). So, one needs to be aware of it doing it in a way that no other tool does. HFT also requires a power-cycle, before making any more changes to the visible LBAs, without being very clear that is the case (leading to the changes seeming permanent).

It would have been good for everybody, if you'd stated your explanation (setting those of us that didn't know/remember straight), for everybody to know, within the directions. It's always good to know if/when a power cycle may undo the changes (so people don't allow a power cycle, or make sure to do a power cycle, depending on what which one is needed and which is to be avoided).

Some who have read previous posts, in the many other threads, and here, about testing the drive before going further, which is almost always stated as being "optional", could assume it is optional in this instance, and find themselves wondering why things didn't work (because they skipped the installing drive in the TiVo to see that it works at that point in the process).

Your help, and willingness to help, has always been appreciated. I hope you understand what I've just said, and take it for what it truly is, rather than feeling anybody was jumping on you, just because they thought you excluded something, and saw a chance to point out a (incorrectly) perceived error of omission.

So, that said, if I had posted what you did, I'd go back and add-in the explanation about persistent hdparm and non-persistent hdparm changes, perhaps giving a direction subset for not testing the drive in the TiVo first (simply inserting that a power-cycle is required, to proceed without that step). However, if the installed test is required for a reason (beyond being thorough), then I'd just make sure to state not to skip that step.

I also feel it's worth noting that a true power cycle is required, and a reboot is not the same as a drive power cycle. I know this. But, some might not, or may just forget/overlook this important difference.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #2529
jmbach

No apology needed.

Point taken for the need for more clarification concerning the non persistance of the hdparm changes with a power cycle. Will adjust the write up accordingly.

The install test is just being thorough. I have seen to many times when something went wrong with the copy and expand process and it had to be repeated. So it provides a check point if the process fails elsewhere. I tend to, as a practice, do one mod and test for operational ability of the mod. Easier to debug the process. Especially if I am helping someone else with the process.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #2530
jmbach

Edited the post.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:24 AM   #2531
cykotix

Quote:
If JMFS gets patched, then you could use the same method using a 2TB drive as an interim to expand onto a 4TB drive. Currently JMFS has a bug in it that limits its usefulness to images that are under 1.5TB in size.
Do we know what part specifically needs patching?
cykotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #2532
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Just used JMFS and upgraded a lifetimed Premiere 320gb to 2TB WD20EURX to gift to my parents... copied, expanded, supersized... got it all back together, waiting for the tv to become available in a few minutes to test it! <fingers crossed>
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #2533
randomtech

Thanks!

I succeeded in reviving my Premiere XL and expanding to 2TB. I can't get the WD Align tool to do anything with the drive though and find the other instructions daunting. If anyone has a short cheat sheet on how to align a working drive I would attempt it. Anyway, I made asmall donation tot he cause. Keep up the good work!
randomtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #2534
jmbach

If you want to align the drive you will have to use the tools found in the 4TB DIY thread or in the 320GB > 1TB > 2TB thread. There is a copy and rearrange tool that will 4k align the drive while copying. You can use the recommended copy order or keep the normal order 1, 13, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 14, 10, 12, 11. Once you use that tool, you can expand with JMFS. The WD Align tool does not recognize the TiVo partition.

Last edited by jmbach : 05-30-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #2535
lessd

Quote:
If you want to align the drive you will have to use the tools found in the 4TB DIY thread or in the 320GB > 1TB > 2TB thread. There is a copy and rearrange tool that will 4k align the drive while copying. You can use the recommended copy order or keep the normal order 1, 13, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 14, 10, 12, 11. Once you use that tool, you can expand with JMFS. The WD Align tool does not recognize the TiVo partition.
Why does TiVo use require or (help the TiVo system) if any 3Tb or bigger drive is aligned ??

Old 05-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #2536
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Why does TiVo use require or (help the TiVo system) if any 3Tb or bigger drive is aligned ??
Less Read-Change-Write operations = longer drive lifespan, or so the industry and "experts" claim. I tend to agree.

Due to the large bulk writes TiVo uses (for recording/buffering), it would be the database housing and other non A/V partitions where the alignment would help the most.

I doubt we'll ever be able to measure any performance gain with a TiVo (or know any exists). Even the drive lifespan consideration is something that will be hard for anybody to prove (outside of TiVo's research division).

I'd prefer to be aligned. TiVo's stock Roamio layouts are fully aligned. The 2TB Premiere XL4/Elites were mostly aligned. TiVo doesn't tend to change things unless they feel they need to, have to, or are told to. Maybe WD or Seagate told TiVo to get aligned, or potentially suffer shortened drive life.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #2537
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Less Read-Change-Write operations = longer drive lifespan, or so the industry and "experts" claim. I tend to agree.

Due to the large bulk writes TiVo uses (for recording/buffering), it would be the database housing and other non A/V partitions where the alignment would help the most.

I doubt we'll ever be able to measure any performance gain with a TiVo (or know any exists). Even the drive lifespan consideration is something that will be hard for anybody to prove (outside of TiVo's research division).

I'd prefer to be aligned. TiVo's stock Roamio layouts are fully aligned. The 2TB Premiere XL4/Elites were mostly aligned. TiVo doesn't tend to change things unless they feel they need to, have to, or are told to. Maybe WD or Seagate told TiVo to get aligned, or potentially suffer shortened drive life.
So if you put a blank 3Tb drive into a Roamio, will the TiVo built in format system do the drive alignment itself ? My understanding of this alignment stuff is reading a disk near partition boundaries. Does not seem that would happen very much to reduce the life of the drive, but I not any drive expert.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #2538
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
So if you put a blank 3Tb drive into a Roamio, will the TiVo built in format system do the drive alignment itself ? My understanding of this alignment stuff is reading a disk near partition boundaries. Does not seem that would happen very much to reduce the life of the drive, but I not any drive expert.
Yes, the Roamios will completely align the structures they create. I got this information from ggieseke.

It's not just near boundaries. If the start boundary is misaligned, all the sectors in that partition will be offset (misaligned).

It's hard to explain it when talking TiVo, other than the large and long writes TiVos use when writing A/V data, mostly nullify the need for alignment (in the partitions dedicated for A/V data). Since these writes tend to be consecutive, as well, there's generally little or no R-C-W operations. When it comes to the partitions that get small/quick/random writes, there's the same issues that misalignment in a PC can cause, and excessive R-C-W operations can wear-down sectors being written to excessively, as well as the added seek operations wearing the head actuator mechanism.

It's important to remember that the physical sector is 4K, divided into 8 * 512 byte logical sectors (emulated sectors), and misalignment can result in two physical sectors having to be R-C-W, when alignment can make just one physical sector get a R-C-W operation, or a single write operation, without the Read-Change part being needed.

I'm no expert, either. I just compare notes from manufacturers, standards, wikipedia, ggieseke, and "experts" I trust.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #2539
Cap'n Preshoot

PREMIER THREAD: I'd like to say Thank You for the recommendation to run the WD Extended diagnostics. Yes, it indeed takes an awfully long time, over 12 hours, but the point is it FAILED about 3/4 of the way into the new 2TB drive (WD20-EURX) from Amazon, so they're getting this one back. However, I'm a little peeved w/Amazon regarding the replacement. Even though this drive was ordered via Prime w/2-day delivery, according to their replacement/return page the replacement drive won't be here until some unspecified date between July 2 and July 17th. That's not good customer service - at least not in my opinion. The drives are not out of stock, so why is it going to take anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks to get a replacement? I think it's time to give them a call.

Last edited by Cap'n Preshoot : 06-16-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Cap'n Preshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #2540
Cap'n Preshoot

PREMIER THREAD: As a follow-up to my previous, after speaking with a (live) customer service person it seems that although I bought the original drive from them late week B4 last, it was at that time available from internal Amazon stock and thus available via PRIME.

Unfortunately the 2TB drive is (currently) no longer available through Prime and orders are now being fulfilled by one of Amazon's channel partners, specifically in this case, Tiger Direct.

Yes, you can specify expedited shipping (at your own expense) and TD will in fact use expedited shipping if you so specify, but it's still going to take 10 days to 2 weeks or longer for it to ship. Once it ships, it will go via overnight, or 2-day, etc. The logjam is in getting it shipped! Appearances are that there is an internal breakdown with Tiger Direct's order fulfillment dept. in that it's taking an unacceptably long time to process orders.

This squares with my own (limited) experience w/ordering from Tiger Direct. It seems to take forever to receive the mdse.

So as the saying goes, "Buyer Beware" if you're ordering a drive that's not available via "Prime" be sure to check to see who the ultimate vendor is. If it's Tiger Direct and you're in a hurry for it, you'll generally get it much sooner from NewEgg.

Only my 2˘ on the matter.

Last edited by Cap'n Preshoot : 06-16-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #2541
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot View Post
[b]PREMIER THREAD:<snip>

Only my 2˘ on the matter.
Why not just go through WD warranty then? You can get an "Advanced RMA", where they expedite you a new drive, and charge the full price to your credit/debit card, which is refunded when they receive your bad drive. Not perfect, but I'd go through WD directly, if I understand your sitrep correctly.

I sounds like even the no-cost standard WD warranty RMA process may be better for you.

What you are dealing with is just wrong...

Some may be interested in switching to NewEgg, with a "Premier" annual membership, with free pre-paid shipping returns for full refund and no restocking charges, or no-cost replacement within a minimum of 30 days (often much longer, depending on the product category).

Back to WD: WD product users should register the drive S/N through WD's support portal on their website. Once registered, all the options are fully automated, no proof of purchase required, no human interaction required, or having to prove the drive is bad. This has been my experience over the last couple years. They just redecorated the support portal, so a few things might have changed (or they just may have re-designed the website, for a new look).
Old 06-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #2542
Cap'n Preshoot

Tnx for tip on WD warranty registration. NewEgg drive arrived this afternoon, no pain, no strain. Have DLGDIAG running in Extended mode now. Fingers crossed. I've previously expanded 1 of my Premieres using a 2TB Caviar/Black drive & was cautioned about heat, but in operation is only slightly warm to the touch. I/R thermal gun aimed directly on the drive indicates 42 deg C. I realize too that it's not an AV drive, but again no issues & it's been a year. Anxious to try this 2TB WD20-EURX in my other Premier. Also have a base model Roamio running a WD20-EURS, but that's too recent an upgrade to comment on yet. Also really miss the OTA tuner. - yeah it's an option to use OTA vs Cable, but not together like the Premier (grrr...)

I also realize that all disk drives no matter the brand, no matter the cost, will eventually someday fail...
Old 06-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #2543
Cap'n Preshoot

As addt'l follow up, the WD20-EURX that I rec'd yesterday from Newegg is defecive also, only moreso. It fails even the Quick test. To be thorough, I also ran HD-Tune Pro (trial version) on it and it immediately failed there too, literally within the first minute. Finally, just as a control test to verify methods), I ran the same tests WD DLGDIAG and HD Tune Pro on a WD2003FZEX (2TB Caviar/Black) with success. Bottom line, I'm beginning to get somewhat burned-out on these cheap drives. 2 for 2 from two different vendors and both junk. I plan to contact WD tomorrow to try the advance replacement route direct from the manufacturer. Maybe they have a good one in stock.

Finally, for the benefit of those nay-sayers who caution against using the Caviar/Black drives in your TIVO because of HEAT concerns, you will be interested to learn that the difference between the drives is only 7 degrees C. The WD20-EURX runs consistent 35 degrees (C) while the WD2003FZEX (Black) runs consistent 42 degrees (C) (both per HD-Tune Pro)

Last edited by Cap'n Preshoot : 06-19-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #2544
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Why not just go through WD warranty then? You can get an "Advanced RMA", where they expedite you a new drive, and charge the full price to your credit/debit card, which is refunded when they receive your bad drive. Not perfect, but I'd go through WD directly, if I understand your sitrep correctly.

I sounds like even the no-cost standard WD warranty RMA process may be better for you.
The problem with the WD Warranty process is that WD ships you a Re-Certified HDD that only has a 90 day Warranty, so you just lost your 3 Year Warranty.

My last WD RMA a WD20EURS has a warranty of 230 days (283 days from the date on the label = 9 months - not sure why the difference, perhaps you get the remainder of the warranty of the origianl HDD. That would make sense in the case of my last RMA.

EDIT: Warranty on the replacement product is shorter than the warranty on the original product
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1058

I have never received a bad HDD from Amazon or Newegg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 06-19-2014 at 09:58 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #2545
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
The problem with the WD Warranty process is that WD ships you a Re-Certified HDD that only has a 90 day Warranty, so you just lost your 3 Year Warranty.

My last WD RMA a WD20EURS has a warranty of 230 days (283 days from the date on the label = 9 months - not sure why the difference, perhaps you get the remainder of the warranty of the origianl HDD. That would make sense in the case of my last RMA.

EDIT: Warranty on the replacement product is shorter than the warranty on the original product
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1058

I have never received a bad HDD from Amazon or Newegg.
How long ago did this happen, and which option(s) did you choose?

Also, was there any human interaction involved, and did you register online before getting an RMA?

I returned six WD20EADS drives on an RMA acquired literally 3 days before the warranty was up. The drive label dates indicated they should have been out of warranty, by ~6 months. The online registration portal said in-warranty, well over 6 months beyond the on-drive date would indicate, and was based on the date I told the product registration portal on the website, that I had bought the drives. I was never required to provide any proof of purchase while registering, or for the standard RMA process. They were OEM bulk drives, purchased from NewEgg. In the end, I got at least 3 months more warranty than my actual purchase date should've allowed, and much more than the drive label would lead one to think.

I chose standard RMA, because I couldn't send all six in at time for advance RMA. WD20EADS drives were well out of production, so I received WD recerts, which sometimes even NewEgg sells (when available).

I've used the advanced RMA on individual drives. I got new drives when I did, when they were still being made. I received new ones, sometimes newer model, sometimes larger, if what I was returning under advance RMA was no longer made, or was out of stock.

They can't charge full-on retail price (literally their MSRP) for an advance RMA, then send you a used, or recertified drive. The full amount is refunded when they receive the bad drive back.

I'd like to compare notes, and see if your experiences have differing variables, and if your experiences are newer, or older, than mine.

I have seen multiple posts, in the not so distant past, from reputable members stating that standard RMA gets you recerts, while advance RMA gets you new drives. I was also given that advice when I asked how the WD warranty processes had worked for people.

Most of all, I want any advice I give to be as accurate and up-to-date as possible, and include potential variable factors.

I've been lucky, and never received a bad drive from NewEgg, in the nearly 7 years I've been buying from them. The reviews on NewEgg sometimes make it seem like I almost get all the good drives, and almost everybody else gets bad ones. I have to admit they used to ship drives loose, making it a miracle they survived. Now, they have the best packaging for drives I've ever seen.

I'd suggest watching the NewEgg reviews for spikes in bad drive reports, where the reviewers seem to make clear cases that it's not user-error.

It seems like nearly all the WD drive reviews have gone to hell again, with reports of people buying 7 drives and getting 5 DOAs, and then receiving replacements either DOA or only working for a short time before failing.

If I wanted drives right now, I'd hold-off and wait for it to pass. If I absolutely needed drives, I'd buy more than I need, and expect there to be some bad ones in the shipment.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:49 AM   #2546
unitron

Ditto on newegg's current excellent packaging for OEM-style bare drives.

They should sell those bubble wrap shells by themselves.

(also they should have come up with them a lot sooner and save themselves and many of their customers a lot of grief)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #2547
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Updating images to newer software, while keeping the image small, a how-to guide:

Helpful tips & explanations for all:

Use my trick of using 00000 zip code, Tiny TiVo as provider, run a C&DE on the updated image, pull the plug on the reboot once the C&DE operation has completed, which self-triggers a reboot (preferably before the KS [kickstart] window of opportunity, or before the "almost there" screen at the latest), make a backup of that, and upload it for distribution, or just use for yourself, if that's how you roll.

The 00000 zip code & Tiny TiVo provider trick only downloads one channel worth of empty guide data, keeping the new backup image small as can be, and saves time. A cablecard can be paired in this setup, but the channels can only be tested using "test channels using M-card" via DVR Diagnostics screens. This is just a FYI, for those who may use this trick for the many other uses I've found for it, like purging out corrupted data related to an existing zip and provider's guide data.

The reason for the C&DE with timed power-pull is to stop the drive from becoming married to the TSN of the board it is updated on, eliminating image recipients from having to repeat guided setup twice, with a C&DE between the two, to remove any existing host board TSN-to-drive marriage.

Once the software has reached a certain version number, the second screen of GS, where you select demo/home setup, has a "press enter for advanced options" option, which adds Installer Express mode to the choices, saving a big chunk of time, by only doing the absolute minimum GS needs to, leaving all the little personalized preferences to be set later through the menus.

If you want to see what software version is on a drive that boots into GS, without running it, press Info button on the very first GS screen (Select Country). It's at the bottom of the screen, when displayed.

EDIT/ADD: I had left out it is best that the only things connected, until done, are:

1. Power cord/supply.
2. Ethernet cable (or wireless, if you absolutely can't do RJ45 ethernet).

What absolutely should NOT be connected:
1. Coaxial cable for cable or antenna.

Why: If a video source is available, the TiVo will continuously process and buffer all tuners, making the resulting image larger for every zeroed-sector that is changed to in the process. A C&DE does not re-zero the sectors that get changed. Even though the buffer, per tuner, is 30 minutes, it still moves forward though more sectors for as long as the TiVo is on, and has a coax connection providing cable or antenna connectivity. For the cleanest and smallest backup image, this is a big deal.

I suppose (theoretically) somebody who insists on using MoCA, could just remove the cable/antenna input coax to the MoCA, and just use the coax for networking only.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-22-2014 at 03:47 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #2548
172pilot

Please forgive me if this has been answered.. I've done a lot of reading over the last couple days, but admittedly, the info I'm looking for is likely in one of the 85 pages of this thread. Even so, with how fast technology changes, I'd be a little worried that the answer I read may not be current..

My issue is that although I've ALWAYS taken out my original hard drives and put them on a shelf for safe keeping, I unfortunately recently had a house fire, and lost my whole shelf of original drives, and now I've got a premiere tcd746320 with an expanded 1tb drive that is giving me some trouble, and I'd like to install a new drive...

I don't really care if I keep my recordings - I guess the easiest thing would be to just dd one drive to another, but I would like to expand again - I bought a 2tb AV drive in hopes that my problems are related to my last choice of buying the cheapest drive I could..

SO.. My questions are.. Can an already expanded premiere drive be expanded again, or am I going to have to go back to an unexpanded image and start over? If I do need to start over, can someone point me to an appropriate image? In years past, I've bought InstantCake images when I needed to help out friends, but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore, especially for premiere.

If I can use my image, do I have to do anything special because the drive is already expanded? I see talk of rearranging partitions, etc.. and although I'm comfortable with all the command-line stuff, I can't say I've read enough to understand the "why" well enough to understand if I need to do that or not..

Since I don't care about my recordings (too much.. it would be better, but not urgent to keep), could I do the above described 00000 zipcode, Tiny Tivo, C&DE, and the backup/restore to do what I want?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. especially to know what is state of the art vs. "Last years" best new thing..

Thanks!
-Steve
9 Tivos in 13 years, ranging from 13gb series 1 to Premiere..
172pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #2549
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172pilot View Post
<snip>
Any help would be greatly appreciated.. especially to know what is state of the art vs. "Last years" best new thing..

Thanks!
-Steve
9 Tivos in 13 years, ranging from 13gb series 1 to Premiere..
Image begging thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=388695

The newest in TiVo backup/restore (DVRBARS): http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261

PM ggieseke http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...r.php?u=207112 (author of DVRBARS) for a download link of an un-expanded image to start with, which may require the trick I detailed, if it came from a TiVo that had been booted before being backed-up (requires doing guided setup twice with a C&DE in-between to "marry" the image to your TSN).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-26-2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: shortened quoted post
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #2550
jmbach

Quote:
SO.. My questions are.. Can an already expanded premiere drive be expanded again, or am I going to have to go back to an unexpanded image and start over?
The answer is a definite maybe depending on your current setup. Sooo, what is your setup. If it is doable it will more than likely require for part of the process working with a hex editor on the drive.

Quote:
If I do need to start over, can someone point me to an appropriate image? In years past, I've bought InstantCake images when I needed to help out friends, but that doesn't seem to be an option anymore, especially for premiere.
I would start here at Dvr Backup And Restore Software for Windows (DvrBARS)

Quote:
If I can use my image, do I have to do anything special because the drive is already expanded? I see talk of rearranging partitions, etc.. and although I'm comfortable with all the command-line stuff, I can't say I've read enough to understand the "why" well enough to understand if I need to do that or not..
Need to start with your setup. Is the internal drive original size with an expanded drive or is it something else. What are the sizes of the drives in question.

If you do not have a WeaKnees drive and expansion for the unit and you are working with the original size drive and an official TiVo extender drive, it is possible to combine your recordings on the 2TB AV drive and subsequently expand it to get the full 2TB of recordings.